Swamp Cooking Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by A_B »

First pot of chili of football season.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:59 pm This is my goto spend the afternoon cooking and sipping wine recipe.

Since my plans for this evening were rained out (they were already rained out Saturday night plans) I’m going for it. Might be sleepy for SNF tonight.
That looks really good, may have to try that. Rainy day and nothing on the agenda, I'm making chili! Stop and Shop had fresh habaneros, which is rare. When they are out, they are usually looking wrinkled and old. Today it's the jalapenos looking wrinkled.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

White and green chili and brownies already done here. Time to drink a beer!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Go Birds?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:13 pm White and green chili and brownies already done here. Time to drink a beer!
Recipe for the chili? Our eldest liked my red chili (black beans and chicken), but I have been looking to do a white/green chili.

Also, to sort of contribute to the thread, my wife made an "easy, weeknight ramen" for dinner.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:03 pm
mister d wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:13 pm White and green chili and brownies already done here. Time to drink a beer!
Recipe for the chili? Our eldest liked my red chili (black beans and chicken), but I have been looking to do a white/green chili.

Also, to sort of contribute to the thread, my wife made an "easy, weeknight ramen" for dinner.
I’ve made this a couple of times, and would recommend provided you’re ok with an inexact recipe.

https://defector.com/lets-cook-some-gre ... -easy-kind
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:18 pmI’ve made this a couple of times, and would recommend provided you’re ok with an inexact recipe.

Ah, cool, thank you. I had forgotten about that one.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Made soup with a turkey. Finally figured out the broth and then put in too much pepper. Added water and onions and carrots and fridge stuff was real good. Then added more rice than I realized and it turned to slurry. Still good but now I need to make something else. Looks like casserole filling and I like jiffy topping so really I'm asking Mr d what to cook.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Like the rice broke down in it where just adding more stock to soup it back up would fail? That's beyond me unless you really do just want to bake it and see what happens?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:04 pm
rass wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:18 pmI’ve made this a couple of times, and would recommend provided you’re ok with an inexact recipe.

Ah, cool, thank you. I had forgotten about that one.
Missed this and I actually did use a recipe this time because of my "every diff chili I make just tastes like my version of chili" issue.

https://www.seriouseats.com/white-chili ... icken-best

Pretty basic; I doubled up on the onions and peppers and used ground chicken instead but it was still solid.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ok. No I think the rice is fine because I didnt cook really at all after putting it in. I dont have chicken stock but just add a few cans and keep it soup?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That what I’d do … soup is pretty tough to completely fuck up and you can keep modifying infinitely.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Thanks for that. First time I've bought stock and it was two boxes for 2.99! Soup just ok but they liked the broth
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I was looking for this thread when I asked that question about liquid smoke.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I didn’t know the right place to put this but I found out I have a VIP ticket to this thing on Saturday (normally $500!). All you can eat and drink, and it appears to be an amazing lineup.

https://southernsmoke.org/festival/ssf-2023/
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nice!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That looks amazing and overwhelming.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:49 pm That looks amazing and overwhelming.
It was amazing and not overwhelming honestly. We were first in line for Franklin's and got to meet him, so that was awesome. It was the first time I've had it and it was phenomenal. Since we got in an hour earlier than most, we were able to hit up most of the great spots before it got too crowded. And even at its peak, the longest I waited in line was no more than 10 minutes. So much good food, free drinks, and great scenery. Funny story. My buddy asked where I was and I responded that I was at the Chris Bianco Q&A, and would leave either after it was done or after this really hot girl left, whichever came last. He met me over there and asked which girl it was. When I pointed her out he immediately goes "That's fucking Kelli. That looks just like your wife." I very much have a type.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:28 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:49 pm That looks amazing and overwhelming.
It was amazing and not overwhelming honestly. We were first in line for Franklin's and got to meet him, so that was awesome. It was the first time I've had it and it was phenomenal. Since we got in an hour earlier than most, we were able to hit up most of the great spots before it got too crowded. And even at its peak, the longest I waited in line was no more than 10 minutes. So much good food, free drinks, and great scenery. Funny story. My buddy asked where I was and I responded that I was at the Chris Bianco Q&A, and would leave either after it was done or after this really hot girl left, whichever came last. He met me over there and asked which girl it was. When I pointed her out he immediately goes "That's fucking Kelli. That looks just like your wife." I very much have a type.
Very nice. Big events like that, (food, music, drink, etc. festivals) can be REALLY hit or miss regarding logistics and scheduling.

And yes, that is a funny story. I'm also in the "I very much have a type" camp as well, and my wife fits it 100%.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:28 pm
When I pointed her out he immediately goes "That's fucking Kelli. That looks just like your wife." I very much have a type.
That is hilarious. If I’m going to fantasize, I will always go with something completely different than my wife. Although I guess you have the potential for it becoming a reality, but even still, I’d go for variety. In all seriousness, happy for you landing what you like.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm completely different than your wife, Syb.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:51 pm I'm completely different than your wife, Syb.
Mister D would totally be the De Niro character in the Fokker thing.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:51 pm I'm completely different than your wife, Syb.
You turned down my invitations.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:07 pm
So not completely different
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:11 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:07 pm
So not completely different
Zing!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Home made pesto (basil from the wife’s garden!) on some fresh pasta, with some decent red wine. That’s a nice dinner.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:47 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:26 pm This recipe from this book is simple as hell and great. Use half as marinade, half as sauce and you're set.
Spiedies! Are you baiting me with this recipe? I almost responded with something similar when Sancarlos mentioned Greek dressing. Spiedies are the best thing to come out of Binghamton other than me. I've followed a couple recipes for homemade, but nothing comes close. I'll try this recipe out some day, I still have several bottles of marinade my parents brought down. Hell, even marinades from my favorite restaurant aren't quite the same.
bump

I've made that recipe a couple of times, it's great.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Can someone post the recipe? It's premium content and I'm cheap.

But my wife is a great cook and is always looking for new stuff.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oops, didn't used to be paywalled, sorry.
[+] spoiler
Makes 6 servings 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes Spicy Italian dressing (see note below)

Makes 6 servings

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes

Spicy Italian dressing (see note below)

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

6 soft Italian rolls, split

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1. Make the dressing. (See note below.)

2. Put the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag, add enough dressing to cover it, and seal the bag, pushing out any extra air. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or as long as overnight.

3. Soak six long wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes (or use metal skewers). Prepare a medium-hot, single-level fire in a grill.

4. Thread the chicken onto the skewers and season with salt and pepper. Discard the dressing. Grill the chicken, turning frequently (use tongs; you'll burn your fingers if you try to grab the skewers), until charred all over and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, brush the cut side of the rolls with the melted butter, and grill until toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.

6. Place a skewer inside each roll, and use the bread to hold the meat in place as you pull out the skewer. Drizzle with extra Italian dressing, if desired, and serve at once.

To make dressing: In a jar with a lid combine 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil; 1/2 cup canola oil; 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar; 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar; 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard; 1 teaspoon honey; 1 garlic clove; finely chopped; 1 medium shallot, finely chopped; 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley; 3 Peppadew peppers, finely chopped; 1 teaspoon kosher salt; 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano; pinch of red pepper flakes; and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cover tightly, and shake well. The dressing can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.

- From Feeding the Fire, by Joe Carroll (Artisan, 2015)
Per Serving:

504 calories; 47.9 grams protein; 22 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams sugar; 23 grams fat; 155 milligrams cholesterol; 393 milligrams sodium; 7 grams dietary fiber.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thanks!

I also saw in the other thread that the marinade is carried by Wegman's. While not close, I have access, so I might just pop over there this weekend.

We actually already use Italian as a marinade, so I think we've grilled something adjacent to this, just not as a sandwich.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"What are you doing?"
"I'm transcribing a recipe for an internet friend."

I'll start by saying this is written as cubed and skewered breasts but I've only done it as full thighs because (1) thighs are better and (2) skewering is just extra work.

2 lbs chicken

Italian dressing
1/2 cup evoo
1/2 cup canola
1/4 cup white vin
2 T red wine vin
2 tsp dijon
1 tsp honey
1 clove garlic
1 shallot
3 T parsley
3 peppadew peppers (I used pimentos)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp Black pepper

Last two are pinch and "to taste" which is 1/8 to me. The recipe does a lot of mincing and shit, I just throw it all in the cup and stick blend it. Use half to marinate, half as a sauce, grill it up and then serve however (the book does italian rolls brushed w/ garlic butter).

(This is a really good grilling cookbook and kinda unique. Not the one you use for an open weekend day, but for a quick dinner idea. Meals not projects.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

ETA: God dammit, Rass
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

FYI: i've found Spiedie marinade at Aldi stores in the area so if possible you might want to check there as well, if it's easier
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:41 am Thanks!

I also saw in the other thread that the marinade is carried by Wegman's. While not close, I have access, so I might just pop over there this weekend.

We actually already use Italian as a marinade, so I think we've grilled something adjacent to this, just not as a sandwich.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ah, thanks... Aldi within 5 minutes. Wegman's is a minimum 30 minute drive.

(folks living in TX or the plain states are giggling at me rn.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:49 am FYI: i've found Spiedie marinade at Aldi stores in the area so if possible you might want to check there as well, if it's easier

Interesting, I'd bet that is a local thing. Curious what brand the marinade is, because if it isn't Lupo's or Salamida's, it ain't Spiedies.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Salamida's it was/is. :) I honestly don't think i've ever seen a different one
The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:10 am
MaxWebster wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:49 am FYI: i've found Spiedie marinade at Aldi stores in the area so if possible you might want to check there as well, if it's easier

Interesting, I'd bet that is a local thing. Curious what brand the marinade is, because if it isn't Lupo's or Salamida's, it ain't Spiedies.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Lupo’s > Salamidas every day of the week and twice on Sundays. (Neighbor is from Endicott and we did a taste test this summer.).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerranoredux wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:11 pm Lupo’s > Salamidas every day of the week and twice on Sundays. (Neighbor is from Endicott and we did a taste test this summer.).
I agree. Lupo's used to have a couple of small counter restaurants, not sure if they still do. I went to school with an heir to the Lupo's empire. Salamida just sells bottled sauce. It's good though.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

This is from the NYT (I copied it to Notes because it was easier to read) and I think I’ve made it four times since I saw it back in mid-October. So easy and cheap and really good and if you like garlic your house smells great the rest of the night. If you’re tempted to do so, don’t over-cheese.

INGREDIENTS
Yield:
4 servings
* ¼cup extra-virgin olive oil
* 3fat garlic cloves, thinly sliced
* 3tablespoons tomato paste
* 2(15-ounce) cans white beans (such as cannellini or Great Northern) or chickpeas, drained and rinsed
* ½cup boiling water
* Salt and black pepper
* ⅓pound mozzarella, coarsely grated (about 1⅓ cups)

PREPARATION
* Step 1
Heat oven to 475 degrees. In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high. Fry the garlic until it’s lightly golden, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste (be careful of splattering) and fry for 30 seconds, reducing the heat as needed to prevent the garlic from burning.
* Step 2
Add the beans, water and generous pinches of salt and pepper and stir to combine. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top, then bake until the cheese has melted and browned in spots, 5 to 10 minutes. If the top is not as toasted as you’d like, run the skillet under the broiler for a minute or 2. Serve at once.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

For the GF's birthday, I'm going to make some scallops (doing the Coquilles St Jacques from Bourdain's cookbook)....any thoughts on sides? A lot of things recommend doing a simple risotto, but I made risotto last weekend, and I'm not sure about doing it again.