PGA Championship 2019

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

Post Reply
User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 15877
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

PGA Championship 2019

Post by brian » Fri May 17, 2019 10:29 am

I'm digging this thing being in May now. August can suck it! (August is now officially the lamest sports month by far -- go ahead try to name a lamer one. You can't do it.)

Anyway, one of the reasons I love majors is the random dudes who end up on leaderboards, like this morning tied for fifth is a Thai golfer named Jazz Janewattananond. Everyone who follows Thai golfers knows Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Ariya Jutanugarn, but I've never heard of that guy.

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4457
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by Sabo » Fri May 17, 2019 10:30 am

brian wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:29 am
I'm digging this thing being in May now. August can suck it! (August is now officially the lamest sports month by far -- go ahead try to name a lamer one. You can't do it.)

Anyway, one of the reasons I love majors is the random dudes who end up on leaderboards, like this morning tied for fifth is a Thai golfer named Jazz Janewattananond. Everyone who follows Thai golfers knows Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Ariya Jutanugarn, but I've never heard of that guy.
Pornanong Phatlum is by far my favorite Thai golfer.
The Sybian wrote:Goddamnit, Sabo!

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 15877
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by brian » Fri May 17, 2019 10:32 am

I vaguely remembered Virada Nirapathpongporn but I had to look up her name to remember it completely. (2003 US Women's Amateur champ).

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 15877
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by brian » Fri May 17, 2019 10:43 am

As for the golfers who have a chance, looks like Koepka is gonna run away with this thing unless someone drives a VW Beetle into him on the walk to the 18th green.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 13168
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by A_B » Fri May 17, 2019 10:44 am

brian wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:43 am
As for the golfers who have a chance, looks like Koepka is gonna run away with this thing unless someone drives a VW Beetle into him on the walk to the 18th green.
He was a machine yesterday. Just clinical. He and Tiger both said 63 was about the worst score he could have shot
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

Baloney
Bunny Lebowski
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 am

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by Baloney » Fri May 17, 2019 11:04 am

brian wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:43 am
As for the golfers who have a chance, looks like Koepka is gonna run away with this thing unless someone drives a golf cart into him on the walk to the 18th green.
Fixed for JD

User avatar
Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4120
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 am

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by Brontoburglar » Fri May 17, 2019 1:15 pm

brian wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:29 am
I'm digging this thing being in May now. August can suck it! (August is now officially the lamest sports month by far -- go ahead try to name a lamer one. You can't do it.)
February is only kept afloat by the Super Bowl
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 15877
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by brian » Fri May 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Brontoburglar wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:15 pm
brian wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:29 am
I'm digging this thing being in May now. August can suck it! (August is now officially the lamest sports month by far -- go ahead try to name a lamer one. You can't do it.)
February is only kept afloat by the Super Bowl
Fair, though there's still the end of college basketball regular season and nearing the end of NBA/NHL, as well as start of MLS and Euro soccer in full swing. August is basically just MLB with MLS and a little bit of Euro soccer towards the end.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4520
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by Nonlinear FC » Fri May 17, 2019 2:06 pm

brian wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:26 pm
Brontoburglar wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:15 pm
brian wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:29 am
I'm digging this thing being in May now. August can suck it! (August is now officially the lamest sports month by far -- go ahead try to name a lamer one. You can't do it.)
February is only kept afloat by the Super Bowl
Fair, though there's still the end of college basketball regular season and nearing the end of NBA/NHL, as well as start of MLS and Euro soccer in full swing. August is basically just MLB with MLS and a little bit of Euro soccer towards the end.
No month comes close to August. The only people that like that month are the mouthbreathers that pay regular season prices to see preseason NFL games.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 13660
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by Pruitt » Fri May 17, 2019 9:59 pm

And since his recent love fest (one of many) with Trump, just got to say Fuck Tiger Woods.
"Pruitt is an outstanding representative of the team. The fans love him."

User avatar
Joe K
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3652
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by Joe K » Fri May 17, 2019 10:21 pm

Pruitt wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:59 pm
And since his recent love fest (one of many) with Trump, just got to say Fuck Tiger Woods.
I went to a George Carlin standup show in 2007 and he started his routine by saying, “Fuck Tiger Woods! And fuck Lance Armstrong, too.” Everyone laughed out of surprise because they were easily the two most admired American athletes at the time. But Carlin had an excellent point in retrospect. The man always told us the truth.

User avatar
Giff
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4908
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by Giff » Mon May 20, 2019 10:18 am

I went from not rooting for Brooks to rooting for him in a matter of a few DJ chants.
Muh.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 13660
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by Pruitt » Mon May 20, 2019 11:17 am

Giff wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:18 am
I went from not rooting for Brooks to rooting for him in a matter of a few DJ chants.

I am pretty certain that a majority of these golfers are Trump supporters, but...

Image
"Pruitt is an outstanding representative of the team. The fans love him."

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4520
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by Nonlinear FC » Mon May 20, 2019 11:47 am

The crowds at Bethpage are always trying to out-do Happy Gilmore galleries. I guess I don't mind it, but sometimes CBS mic's the wrong thing and the audio is all fucked up with Bros chatting it up while someone is in their backswing... Only to realize as a viewer that these Bros must be nowhere near the action.

Just in general, I'm not a huge fan of the NY sports bro thing, so it's pretty jarring for a golf major.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4457
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by Sabo » Mon May 20, 2019 11:52 am

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:47 am
The crowds at Bethpage are always trying to out-do Happy Gilmore galleries. I guess I don't mind it, but sometimes CBS mic's the wrong thing and the audio is all fucked up with Bros chatting it up while someone is in their backswing... Only to realize as a viewer that these Bros must be nowhere near the action.

Just in general, I'm not a huge fan of the NY sports bro thing, so it's pretty jarring for a golf major.
Yeah, the crowd wasn't good yesterday. I can remember at least one instance where Johnson looked at the crowd as if someone talked during his back swing. I can already hear the Euros complaining about the crowd when Bethpage hosts the Ryder Cup in 2024.
The Sybian wrote:Goddamnit, Sabo!

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 15877
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by brian » Mon May 20, 2019 11:54 am

When the NYC-area turds will still inexplicably be yelling "Baba Booey!" after every shot.

HaulCitgo
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1342
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by HaulCitgo » Mon May 20, 2019 11:59 am

Or the guy could swing the stick and hit the ball. I like golf watching a lot more when the crowd is into it. I'd like to see more stadium seated events.

User avatar
Giff
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4908
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by Giff » Mon May 20, 2019 12:26 pm

HaulCitgo wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:59 am
Or the guy could swing the stick and hit the ball. I like golf watching a lot more when the crowd is into it. I'd like to see more stadium seated events.
I don't mind the enthusiasm to an extent. I probably draw a line in acting the way the one dipshit did after Koepka had to hit out of the rough surrounded by people. What my biggest issue was when Koepka hit it long on the par 3 and the crowd went nuts (and now reading some of the subsequent posts it could've been sounds from a different hole so I admit I could be off-base here). It sounded more like anti-golfer than pro-drama to me which I don't like in individual sports as much.
Muh.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 15729
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by mister d » Mon May 20, 2019 12:30 pm

"HA on one cheek and, sure enough, P-P-Y right there on the other."
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
Rex
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4236
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: PGA Championship 2019

Post by Rex » Mon May 20, 2019 12:48 pm

I'm guessing the gallery was just bored. These are Jets fans, they are used to excitement.

Post Reply