Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by sancarlos »

Nice!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I have my friends' two dogs with me this weekend and I swear I've never seen four unhappier dogs to be outside on a gorgeous 75-degree evening.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Send some vibes Kaylee's way Frogs. She's swollen in the neck again. Could be allergies/flu, could be round 2 of the big C.

I'm a fucking wreck.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

2-4 weeks.

Cancer can suck my dick. Fuck.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21 wrote:2-4 weeks.

So sorry, man. Make her comfortable and spoil her while you can.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sucks so bad.

No words can help, but I am so sorry to hear this.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry man.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sorry
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Fuck cancer. Sorry BSF.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ugh, sorry man.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Man, I'm so sorry. Can they not treat it this time?
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote:

Max of another few months. Not going to put her through it.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BSF21 wrote:
Shirley wrote:

Yeah, if that's the best outcome, I agree. But, man, what a bummer. I hope she's otherwise happy. Can they give her something so the neck swelling drains?
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Shirley wrote:

Yeah, if that's the best outcome, I agree. But, man, what a bummer. I hope she's otherwise happy. Can they give her something so the neck swelling drains?

It's her lymph nodes so not really. It's a disease that's strange as hell. You can tell she's not 100%, but she runs around and plays and eats and drinks and takes walks like she's totally fine. Fingers crossed she has a few more weeks. I leave this morning for a week long business trip and really feel like I'm missing out on the last little bit of time with her.

Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Oh no. I'm so very sorry.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So sorry, bsf.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So sorry, bsf.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ugh, that really fucking sucks buddy.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Just saw this. Sorry man.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That made the room dusty.

Fuck I love dogs.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Service dog videos slay me every time.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Any of you guys ever dealt with a vestibular issue/episode/event with your dog? My 13 year old lab started having some pretty scary looking issues yesterday.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Our nearly 15 year old deaf Beagle has a torn ACL. She has been having nerve issues on her back legs for a few months and as a result has put on some weight due to the difficulty in getting exercise. With the ACL injury she can't walk on 3 legs. So she slides with her 2 front paws around the house and is carried whenever possible.

Her personality remains unchanged and she still has the same energy and attitude. Her body is failing, but she's still there. I'm not sure what to do with her. Kid's haven't realized yet what this really means.

From a better day...
IMG_0327.JPG
IMG_0327.JPG (26.93 KiB) Viewed 934 times
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Get that bitch some wheels!

(she's adorable)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Damn, that is a rough situation, Testuser. Best wishes, sincerely.

Right now, my parents are going through a tough one with their 14 year-old Yorkie. Frankly, I'm not a fan of that dog, but I am a fan of how much my parents love it. My folks went through some dark times when my one brother died, and when my other brother suffered at the depths of alcoholism, and that dog was their ray of light that helped get them through it. Now the dog is failing and may have to be put down within the next few months. It just kills them to see their dog failing. My folks are pretty old and infirm themselves, and this kind of trauma weakens them, too. So, it is all intertwined and tough.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

These damned wonderful beasts. They always break our hearts.

All good thoughts for you guys, your beagle, your kids and your parents.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pretense: Don't feel like you need to respond to this. I just need somewhere to put it out there and vent. My fiancee is a fucking mess and I feel like I've gotta be the calm rational one in those situations and swallow the sad.

I'm going to call the vet in an hour. And we're going to have an awkward conversation about how you know it's time and only we can know that and they'll be here for us. And then I'm going to tell them Monday. And then we're going to say goodbye this weekend. It blows, but I can't watch this anymore and I'm ready to be free of it. It's partially selfish. It's a shame dogs don't seem to go quickly or in their sleep or whatever. I've gotta watch her jump around and be insanely happy and waggy and loving, for about 20 minutes twice a day. The rest of the time she sleeps. And struggles to breathe. For the last 4 weeks she has struggled so much it's kept both Meg and I up at night. Last night she got super excited for a walk after laying around all day, not eating or showing interest in anything. We took her down the block and she got sniffs and went to the bathroom and tried to grab the leash and lead us along. Our neighbors were out walking with their daughter and we went to say hi, and she went nuts getting to see them (she loves all human men except me), and just as soon as she got some pets, went down to the ground and had a seizure.

Scared the shit out of Megan. Only lasted 5 seconds. She tired to get up but just couldn't manage it and I carried her back a half mile to the house (fuckin' girl sure hasn't lost any weight for not eating much the last few weeks). We canceled our plans and after a half hour Kayleegirl was back to normal like nothing had happened. I did some brief research and it's likely the seizure was caused by cancer moving into her brain. This will get progressively worse. There is no getting better. There is no light at the end of this tunnel. She's just going to get worse and suffer, and I can't bear the thought of her last moments on earth consisting of having a grand mal, and having to be carted in scared and confused and put down.

So we're gonna give her a bucket list day on Sunday. Try to get her out to play as much as she can. Do all the things we probably should have done more of with her when we were busy being selfish 20 somethings. The short time sucks. Bright side is she got a nice home and 2 people that care for her immensely. Megan got a tattoo of her paw print on her ankle 2 weeks ago because we knew this was coming. She didn't die on the side of the road Cancer is such a motherfucker. It's not fair and I'm gonna miss the shit out of this little thing. Give your good girls and boys an extra treat today. I'm going to go make a phone call. Thanks for letting me vent Frogs.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Can't help but respond that it fucking sucks, and I'm so sorry for you guys.

I broke down like a little kid a few weeks ago having a similar conversation with our vet. Not seizures for our pup, but a vestibular event that lasted nearly a week. She's an almost 14 year old yellow lab who has acted like a puppy for 12 of those years. I never watched the entirety of Marley and Me, only trailers, but that's basically her. Or rather, was basically her. Her hips are arthritic, she has trouble holding poop in until she gets outside, and the vestibular event has left her a but wobbly.

Thanks for letting me vent as well.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It got dusty in here reading these last few posts. Sucks for you guys and I'll be thinking of y'all.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Nothing like the office getting dusty this early on a Friday morning.

I know someday my family will have to go through this struggle that you guys are going through now. Never really had a pet that has impacted me like I have with our little ankle biter.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sorry BSF. Sorry Cheddah. Sometimes it is really hard having four-legged friends.
Mulligan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mulligan »

Much love to you guys.

We lost our 13.5 year old lab last year and our 14 year old lab down in June. She almost made it to 15, missed by a month. They where our children until we where able to adopt. They where also my wife's first pets. Man was it rough letting them go. When Atley came along late in their lives they took to him right away and always wanted to be next to him. We where getting along without them asides from coming home and looking for them. Now Atley walks around talking about how he misses them and wants a dog. That tears us up. Maybe next year when we celebrate his half birthday/adoption day we will get another one....
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Mulligan wrote:Much love to you guys.

We lost our 13.5 year old lab last year and our 14 year old lab down in June. She almost made it to 15, missed by a month. They where our children until we where able to adopt. They where also my wife's first pets. Man was it rough letting them go. When Atley came along late in their lives they took to him right away and always wanted to be next to him. We where getting along without them asides from coming home and looking for them. Now Atley walks around talking about how he misses them and wants a dog. That tears us up. Maybe next year when we celebrate his half birthday/adoption day we will get another one....

You should totally get a cat.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hate this thread. Sorry everyone.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Some better news... The old lady is getting good at walking on the carpet and sliding around the kitchen. She was even able to unzip the kids backup and steal a bag of crackers over the weekend. Her other legs are starting to get stronger and may even be able to hold all her wait for longer periods of time.

I've been looking at wheels for her. There are a bunch out there. Does anyone have experience with them or recommendations on what to look for in a good set? How does it work when she's in the house? Do you leave them on during active times(morning/after school)?
Mulligan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mulligan »

Sabo wrote:
Mulligan wrote:Much love to you guys.

You should totally get a cat.

Coming from the guy who stole my mom's pussy....
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

She gave it up willingly.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!