The Athletic Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: The Athletic Thread

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:06 am My brain isnt wired to be amused by that. Some similar shows I dont like (HIMYM/Friends) but I could see how someone might with the right life experiences. No such understanding here. Are the jokes specific to stem graduate students? Youngish city dwellers? Nerds generally? Just no enjoyment there. Like trying to make a boomer (or teenager) enjoy Dungeons and Dragons. Much sooner watch the guy from King of Queens do dumb stuff and Sunny is just tremendous. Totally different class.
You are gonna be shocked when I tell you a lot of teens are into D&D these days, then.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My brain isn't wired to be that pissed off at a tv show no one forced me to watch.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I’m too lazy to look it up but there was some writer or group of writers that wrote on I think Twitter regularly about how bad BBT is…breaking down each episode, etc. I think they were mad because they thought it was sexist or something like that. I’m with Giff…if you don’t like it don’t watch it.

There is a whole class of people who think if something is popular it can’t be any good and therefore must be ridiculed.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The other thing going on specifically with BBT, and I alluded to it earlier, is that it is simultaneously mocking and glorifying "nerd culture." And those folks that kind of identify as "nerds" are notoriously unable to let things go.

I could write a lot about it, but it all boils down to a lot of those folks taking EVERYTHING way too seriously. And most of them feel persecuted.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Maybe so but I dont think weve reached the tipping point yet where kids are embracing real life interactions. Would turn quarters into a touchscreen app or twitch event if they could so im sure theyve bastardized D&D plenty so its not the afterschool cafeteria memories anymore.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:33 pm Maybe so but I dont think weve reached the tipping point yet where kids are embracing real life interactions again. Would turn quarters into a touchscreen app or twitch event if they could so im sure theyve bastardized D&D plenty so its not the afterschool cafeteria memories i remember.
My kid and his friends play it old school. DIce, paper, all that jazz.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

where do they get paper?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

As I've mentioned, I'm in a multi-generational DnD thing and half of the young-uns use paper and the others use laptops. Games are mostly in-person with a few coming in on Discord or whatever if they're out of town. That said, the "kids" in this group are all just graduating college or are in law/grad school.

Not sure if there's been some massive shift in the 5-6 years they were in high school. But for this group, it's really important to them that we gather in person.

So... that's one anecdote, but interesting. I think kids actually do crave interaction that isn't so anonymous and/or fleeting.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:30 am My brain isn't wired to be that pissed off at a tv show no one forced me to watch.
Other than the random Tweet, I don't think anyone here is angry about the show. I read GPJ's episode guide, and it was the first show I thought of. Sorry if I struck a nerve with that. It was the #1 show for over a decade, so clearly they were doing something right and I am in the minority for not getting it. I tried several times because I know it must be funny, but I just don't get it. OTOH, it reminds me of how my wife loves Hallmark movies specifically because there are no surprises and she finds it relaxing and comforting to watch shows and movies where she knows what is going to happen and it always has a happy ending. Nothing wrong with that, and she doesn't understand why I want to spend my down time with something that makes me think or fucks with my head like Black Mirror. I can see her point there, too.
HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:06 am My brain isnt wired to be amused by that. Some similar shows I dont like (HIMYM/Friends) but I could see how someone might with the right life experiences. No such understanding here. Are the jokes specific to stem graduate students? Youngish city dwellers? Nerds generally? Just no enjoyment there. Like trying to make a boomer (or teenager) enjoy Dungeons and Dragons. Much sooner watch the guy from King of Queens do dumb stuff and Sunny is just tremendous. Totally different class.
Great point, I was thinking something similar because I liked HIMYM when it originally aired. My wife and I watched it, we had just gotten married and moved to the suburbs a few months before the show premiered, then had a kid the following year. We were living in Manhattan, and a lot of the characters' lives rang true. Hell, there was even a lawyer on the show. It made us reminisce about our days of being single and living in NYC. And there were a lot of plotlines and jokes that were extremely NYC dating pool specific. We recently went back and started to watch Season 1, and we were pretty bored with it. Ted was so damned annoying, he was almost as bad as Ross on Friends.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:35 pm where do they get paper?
They order it through an app.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:48 pm
They order it through an app.
To be clear, the kids use an app to keep their sheets and do their rolls and look up spells and stuff. I'm just too cheap to pay for it. Most of them are in multiple groups and play at least once a week.

The old farts only play with this group which is once a month, at best.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Syb, I was talking specifically about that Tweet.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, Syb, I'm not really saying anyone on here "hates" the show, I'm talking about guys like the tweet video... Just a weird, out-sized response to a sitcom.

Like, honestly, WGAF.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:15 pm Yeah, Syb, I'm not really saying anyone on here "hates" the show, I'm talking about guys like the tweet video... Just a weird, out-sized response to a sitcom.

Like, honestly, WGAF.
Just someone looking for attention.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i LOLd. nice.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:21 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:11 pm Piss Pals can't be worse than Big Bang Theory.
It's REALLY weird that he thinks that every line has to be a joke? Like, that scene was funny for people that watched the show because it paid off years of character development and what not between the characters and the funny stuff was really the actual game. But, sure, that line wasn't funny - but is EVERY line in a sitcom supposed to pay off? That's a weird and unobtainable standard.

Also, fwiw, I love off-beat sitcoms like Always Sunny too. But I do appreciate the hell out of a good fomulaic sitcom. Always have. Going to back to Taxi and Cheers and on forward to Seinfeld etc. It's a beloved form for me. Or used to be. Hard to find good examples of it now. It might be why I liked Shrinking so much - it is that tradition albeit with some different beats.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sometimes you write stuff that is eerily what is in my head, tb.

Co-sign.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:12 am
It's REALLY weird that he thinks that every line has to be a joke? Like, that scene was funny for people that watched the show because it paid off years of character development and what not between the characters and the funny stuff was really the actual game. But, sure, that line wasn't funny - but is EVERY line in a sitcom supposed to pay off? That's a weird and unobtainable standard.

Also, fwiw, I love off-beat sitcoms like Always Sunny too. But I do appreciate the hell out of a good fomulaic sitcom. Always have. Going to back to Taxi and Cheers and on forward to Seinfeld etc. It's a beloved form for me. Or used to be. Hard to find good examples of it now. It might be why I liked Shrinking so much - it is that tradition albeit with some different beats.
So if the line wasn't supposed to be funny, why is the laugh track playing?

I loved sitcoms growing up, watched way too many of them. Seinfeld definitely fits into the formulaic mold, but I think that was the beginning of the offbeat sitcoms. Arrested blew the doors off the model, and shows like The Office, Parks and Rec and others ruined the formulaic predictable sitcom for me. Or, I just lost interest as I got older, kind of the way I lost interest in new music. I'm definitely open to trying formulaic sitcoms, but it has to be great to be worth watching over my insurmountable queue. A show like Letterkenny is formulaic in it's own way, but it is a completely different formula than any show I can think of. It doesn't have much in the way of plot, but the writing is so fucking incredible, the characters are all so unique and incredibly well acted, I love the show and don't care that it follows the same formula every episode.

I wouldn't call Shrinking a formulaic sitcom. It is filmed much more like a movie than a traditional sitcom. It has a lot of sitcom elements, but to me the formulaic sitcom is "dialogue...dialogue... joke.. pause for laughter, repeat every 3 minutes" where there is very little plot that only serves to get to the next joke. Shrinking told a story and threw in a lot of emotions along the way, with some very funny moments and jokes thrown in.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It’s funny but for sitcoms like Friends , seinfeld, BBT, etc - I, after 45+ years of tv watching life am mostly deaf to laugh tracks. Like, literally, they don’t register.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:40 am It’s funny but for sitcoms like Friends , seinfeld, BBT, etc - I, after 45+ years of tv watching life am mostly deaf to laugh tracks. Like, literally, they don’t register.
100000% percent.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I can see why they bug ppl, but kind of in the same boat.

With that said, if you've ever pulled up a YouTube (or whatever) version of a sitcom where they strip out the laugh track... It's fucking weird and the shows don't work.

That's where shows like Shrinking exhibit their true quality. Making an obvious point, but when you get me to actually LOL without that background/under-current of a laugh track, you've done your job.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:40 am It’s funny but for sitcoms like Friends , seinfeld, BBT, etc - I, after 45+ years of tv watching life am mostly deaf to laugh tracks. Like, literally, they don’t register.
This was my first point, the reason I singled out BBT is that I find the laugh track incredibly noticeable and irritating. I was trying to think of other laugh track shows I watch, and I had to look up whether HIMYM used one (it did). Probably the last laugh track show I watched. I did recently watch a bunch of Friends episodes with the kids as they jumped on the Friends revival train a year or two ago. I notice it at times, but it never once bothered me. Every time the laugh goes off on BBT, it takes me out of the show. It reminds me that I am watching actors reciting a script, I think about whether it's a real audience or sound added. Then I think of the line that every person laughing on a laugh track died decades ago, or I think about the writers room and "what made them write that line." Or more often, I think "that's just not funny." Now the Twitter rant makes sense to me; hearing the laugh track at something unfunny can make someone angry. It doesn't make me angry, but it does give me that annoyed feeling when someone does something socially unacceptable.

Maybe I don't get the references, but when a character says something that I don't find funny, then the laugh track goes off, I can't help but register it. Maybe Chuck Lorre over uses it. I don't think I've ever watched a full episode of 2.5 Men, but I've seen clips or watched a few minutes if it's on when I turned on the TV, and same thing, I can't help but notice the laugh track and think about how unfunny the jokes are.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Once you become aware of HIMYM's laugh track, you can't become unaware.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don’t watch shows with a laugh track much, nowadays, so when I see a show containing one, these days I find it jarring and intrusive, in a way I never did, previously.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think it's totally fair to say Chuck over-uses/leans too much on the laugh track. As discussed, doesn't really bug me, but I can see it being an issue.

Modern Family is a great example of a show that moved away from a laugh track model and it's still quite often very very funny. I think Malcolm in the Middle was another good example.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wonder how much more dialogue you have to write when you don't have the laugh track. That's all dead time while the actors just make faces as the laughter hits then subsides.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Did anyone else watch Kevin Can Fuck Himself? Excellent subverting the idea of the laugh track. Worth a watch.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Have 5 30-day guest passes if anyone wants access.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

A great joke would be to do “Shrinking was filmed before a live studio audience” but change nothing
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A fun oral history of "Playmakers" was posted today.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

That show was great. My regret in life is stopping in a video store ~15 years ago that was going out of business and seeing the complete season DVD on sale for $3 and not buying it.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Fuck this
IMG_2569.png
IMG_2569.png (117.41 KiB) Viewed 227 times

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh JFC.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Climb off the ledge, boys. They’ve corrected it, now.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Yeah I should have included more because it wasn’t just the headline…
All year long, Rodríguez has been providing surprisingly stellar defense in center field along with his customary baserunning prowess and his ever-present ability to hit the ball super hard. He’s clearly the best overall player on a team that is improving steadily year over year, and that’s already a heartwarming story in the northwest.
So now his slugging percentage is a full hundred points higher in the second half, and he’s adding really the last dimension separating him from the top five players in the game.
Last night the byline was just “The Athletic staff” and now they added “and Eno Sarris” but I don’t think any of the copy changed other than the front headline. Embarrassing.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Those quotes are giving off the rank odor of AI.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Today’s story in the Athletic about Deion Sanders’ MLB teammates and how they viewed Deion is one of the best sports pieces I’ve read this year. Well worth seeking it out if you have a subscription.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sabo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:53 pm Today’s story in the Athletic about Deion Sanders’ MLB teammates and how they viewed Deion is one of the best sports pieces I’ve read this year. Well worth seeking it out if you have a subscription.
Thank you for the recommendation. I absolutely loved this piece.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:05 pm
Sabo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:53 pm Today’s story in the Athletic about Deion Sanders’ MLB teammates and how they viewed Deion is one of the best sports pieces I’ve read this year. Well worth seeking it out if you have a subscription.
Thirded. I'm embarrassed to say that I had no idea his teammates liked him that much. He's a complicated dude.

I can still remember a Sports Illustrated article I read about him back when I was in high school or college. I guess Deion might have still been at FSU. And it portrayed him as a cartoon character. Like an over-the-top wrestling heel. It was hilarious and memorable, and I guess I've always thought of him that way. Of course, that's pretty much how he's always acted on camera, so I had no reason to doubt it.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:25 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:05 pm
Thirded. I'm embarrassed to say that I had no idea his teammates liked him that much. He's a complicated dude.

I can still remember a Sports Illustrated article I read about him back when I was in high school or college. I guess Deion might have still been at FSU. And it portrayed him as a cartoon character. Like an over-the-top wrestling heel. It was hilarious and memorable, and I guess I've always thought of him that way. Of course, that's pretty much how he's always acted on camera, so I had no reason to doubt it.
I thought of the exact same article! And realize it still colors my image of the guy. Always thought of him as an arrogant, self-centered hype machine.
-Pruitt