The Athletic Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: The Athletic Thread

Post by rass »

I agree!

Though the I found the lack of any mention of the quality of the mushroom bar telling.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Another round of layoffs at The Athletic today. Apparently, they targeted beat writers that followed secondary-market teams in non-NFL, non-MLB sports. Personally, I’m pissed that they blew out the San Jose Sharks’ beat writer, something the SF Chronicle did previously. Thinking seriously of canceling my subscription.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:07 pm Another round of layoffs at The Athletic today. Apparently, they targeted beat writers that followed secondary-market teams in non-NFL, non-MLB sports. Personally, I’m pissed that they blew out the San Jose Sharks’ beat writer, something the SF Chronicle did previously. Thinking seriously of canceling my subscription.
Still reeling, a year or so later, that they sent Joe Smith to be the second Wild writer. He's excellent.

ETA - they took him off the Bolts beat.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Could go in the death of journalism..but The NY times sports is being replaced by the Athletic
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/10/busi ... tment.html
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Wow.

Nice to read no layoffs, but that's pretty wild.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:49 pm Wow.

Nice to read no layoffs, but that's pretty wild.
No layoffs....yet....

Ray Ratto has a good piece about it over at the Defector: The Slow Hemorrhage Of The American Sports Desk
But because nobody at Corporate imagines that anything can be different from an already decomposing norm, that difference stopped being celebrated as proof of the Times' unique place in journalism, and the desk was considered in the C-suite as just one more place with too much Mets coverage.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

What I think is interesting and may even make sense is the Times sports articles are bit high brow and more international (for example on the lead over the last few days were Tennis, Golf, an interesting fishing item, northwestern, nassar stabbing, F1, Tour, fencing). So the coverage and articles of the Athletic are pretty simlar in terms of "local". The New York sports coverage (more local sports radio topics) really falls back to the Post's staff. The nature of this paper is different. Even the WaPo and tribune focus on local teams and high school sports. So maybe some of the editorial decisions played into this.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:28 am What I think is interesting and may even make sense is the Times sports articles are bit high brow and more international (for example on the lead over the last few days were Tennis, Golf, an interesting fishing item, northwestern, nassar stabbing, F1, Tour, fencing). So the coverage and articles of the Athletic are pretty simlar in terms of "local". The New York sports coverage (more local sports radio topics) really falls back to the Post's staff. The nature of this paper is different. Even the WaPo and tribune focus on local teams and high school sports. So maybe some of the editorial decisions played into this.
They need to work on their model a bit, cuz nobody GAF about the local NY teams on a national scale. If you’re a global paper like the NYT, then act like it. Cuz carrying water for the New York Yankees aint cuttin’ it.

As for Ray Ratto?

Not many people want a team-by-team breakdown of all the world’s womens’ soccer teams, either.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:52 am

As for Ray Ratto?

Not many people want a team-by-team breakdown of all the world’s womens’ soccer teams, either.
I think they've been fantastic, thank you very much.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:18 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:35 am(Saved.)
I know. It just seems that creating a new media outlet is the opposite of how it normally works.
You were right, mister d.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:28 am What I think is interesting and may even make sense is the Times sports articles are bit high brow and more international (for example on the lead over the last few days were Tennis, Golf, an interesting fishing item, northwestern, nassar stabbing, F1, Tour, fencing). So the coverage and articles of the Athletic are pretty simlar in terms of "local". The New York sports coverage (more local sports radio topics) really falls back to the Post's staff. The nature of this paper is different. Even the WaPo and tribune focus on local teams and high school sports. So maybe some of the editorial decisions played into this.
They need to work on their model a bit, cuz nobody GAF about the local NY teams on a national scale. If you’re a global paper like the NYT, then act like it. Cuz carrying water for the New York Yankees aint cuttin’ it.

As for Ray Ratto?

But I think that is the point. If you are not local, than why do I need a New York sports desk to cover national scale. Sure the Athletic's freelancer's articles may not be exactly what you want, but also can use their top writers to drive content and national stories. Better than the junk ESPN puts on their homepage and the other articles are generally better than the stuff espn puts behind the plus paywall.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:56 am

As for Ray Ratto?

But I think that is the point. If you are not local, than why do I need a New York sports desk to cover national scale. Sure the Athletic's freelancer's articles may not be exactly what you want, but also can use their top writers to drive content and national stories. Better than the junk ESPN puts on their homepage and the other articles are generally better than the stuff espn puts behind the plus paywall.
They're apples and donuts. Defector's currently herding our attention towards women's soccer, but they're never going to give us a consistent source for say, recruiting news. They'll write a few thousand words once a year about how messed up it all is, though.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So don't read it. I like being able to read about different sports. I've loved their cycling stuff and also the boxing stuff HamNo writes. I don't follow those sports all that closely but I think it's neat to find good writing. If I want recruiting news I don't need a "good" writer I just need someone who is plugged in and just gives the details. It's barely news and far less important than the Women's World Cup fffs. And to be fair...I think the WWC is a big deal.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:32 am So don't read it. I like being able to read about different sports. I've loved their cycling stuff and also the boxing stuff HamNo writes. I don't follow those sports all that closely but I think it's neat to find good writing. If I want recruiting news I don't need a "good" writer I just need someone who is plugged in and just gives the details. It's barely news and far less important than the Women's World Cup fffs. And to be fair...I think the WWC is a big deal.
Good for you.

I’m not arguing about Defector’s sports acumen. If you want to be enlightened to new sports and new ways to waste your time? Knock yourself out. They’re a fun Op/Ed read that oftentimes takes itself too seriously.

Btw, recruiting news was just an example. Sports news doesn’t always have to be angsty. It can be banal, yet still well-sourced, timely info that matters to people who follow particular sports, leagues, teams, etc.
Noli Timere Messorem
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

So we’re just gonna ignore the union busting benefits for the Times. They’re not being called layoffs but this will certainly result in a reduction of force when the sportswriter doing an expose on FIFA is not allowed to work on that because now they’ve been assigned to different desks and are asked stick around to do pieces covering the Met Gala and Eric Adams homeless crisis.

It’s the way papers want to go. Fuck the unions, fuck the standards. (Even though the Athletic is pretty damn solid, it will be done with worse outlets in the future.)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

cerranoredux wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:56 pm So we’re just gonna ignore the union busting benefits for the Times. They’re not being called layoffs but this will certainly result in a reduction of force when the sportswriter doing an expose on FIFA is not allowed to work on that because now they’ve been assigned to different desks and are asked stick around to do pieces covering the Met Gala and Eric Adams homeless crisis.

It’s the way papers every industry wants to go. Fuck the unions, fuck the standards. (Even though the Athletic is pretty damn solid, it will be done with worse outlets in the future.)
Just nudging you over the finish line, cerrano.

Exciting breakthrough for this guy, who needs to send an email to check on if a non-union project this fall is happening.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

December. So does this mean that there will be no new scripted shows? Or, are there enough scab writers to fill the void? Or, is it all going to be reality crap?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:50 am
cerranoredux wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:56 pm So we’re just gonna ignore the union busting benefits for the Times. They’re not being called layoffs but this will certainly result in a reduction of force when the sportswriter doing an expose on FIFA is not allowed to work on that because now they’ve been assigned to different desks and are asked stick around to do pieces covering the Met Gala and Eric Adams homeless crisis.

It’s the way papers every industry wants to go. Fuck the unions, fuck the standards. (Even though the Athletic is pretty damn solid, it will be done with worse outlets in the future.)
Just nudging you over the finish line, cerrano.

Exciting breakthrough for this guy, who needs to send an email to check on if a non-union project this fall is happening.
See, we’re better together.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Funny that there are two American Gladiator docs out right now.. The first and second iterations of the show came about due to respective writer strikes.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:56 pm December. So does this mean that there will be no new scripted shows? Or, are there enough scab writers to fill the void? Or, is it all going to be reality crap?
It will mostly be reality crap and I’m guessing we’ll see the first A.I. written show debut before too long.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:20 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:56 pm December. So does this mean that there will be no new scripted shows? Or, are there enough scab writers to fill the void? Or, is it all going to be reality crap?
It will mostly be reality crap and I’m guessing we’ll see the first A.I. written show debut before too long.
Based on the Amazon Originals I have watched, I am guessing we have seen A.I. written shows.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you told me "City on Fire" was written by AI and then had a good soundtrack added, I'd 100% believe you.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Title: "Piss Pals"

Genre: Comedy

Logline:
"Piss Pals" is a hilarious sitcom that follows the misadventures of two unlikely friends, Max and Gary, who find themselves in absurd and embarrassing situations while trying to navigate the challenges of their personal and professional lives.

Plot:

Episode 1: "The Urine Incident"

Max, a socially awkward but well-meaning office worker, and Gary, a carefree and impulsive bartender, meet at a local bar and quickly bond over their shared love for bathroom humor. They decide to become "Piss Pals," a term they coin for their unique friendship. Max, who has been struggling with his dating life, convinces Gary to join a local dating app with him.

Episode 2: "The Case of the Golden Toilet"

Max's apartment complex is plagued by a mysterious thief who steals expensive gold-plated toilets. Determined to solve the case, Max and Gary take it upon themselves to catch the culprit. In their amateur detective work, they inadvertently find themselves in hilarious and awkward situations, leading to a surprising twist when they discover the thief is their quirky neighbor, Mrs. Jenkins.

Episode 3: "Potty Training"

Max and Gary find themselves in charge of Max's niece and nephew, Emma and Ethan, for the weekend. Chaos ensues when the kids accidentally lock themselves in Max's bathroom, leaving the two friends scrambling to free them before Max's sister finds out. Meanwhile, Gary tries to teach the kids the art of practical jokes, leading to some outrageous and messy pranks.

Episode 4: "The Bathroom Bet"

Max and Gary, fueled by their competitive nature, make a bet to see who can last the longest without using the bathroom. What starts as a harmless challenge quickly escalates into a battle of willpower, leading to ridiculous situations where the duo tries to outsmart each other. As the day progresses, Max and Gary's desperation grows, resulting in an unforgettable showdown.

Episode 5: "The Public Pee-lemma"

Max and Gary attend a high-profile business dinner at a fancy restaurant. However, Max's nerves get the best of him, and he finds himself desperately needing to use the bathroom during a crucial moment. With the restaurant's bathroom out of order, Max and Gary embark on a quest to find a suitable alternative, leading them on a wild adventure through the city and exposing them to increasingly bizarre and hilarious situations.

Episode 6: "Toilet Troubles"

Max's bathroom plumbing goes haywire, flooding his apartment. Max enlists Gary's help to fix the issue, but their limited knowledge of plumbing only makes matters worse. As they try to tackle the problem, they inadvertently flood neighboring apartments, leading to chaos and confusion among the residents. With water pouring everywhere, Max and Gary find themselves scrambling to save the day and restore order.

Episode 7: "The Ultimate Bathroom Showdown"

Max and Gary stumble upon a local bathroom contest where participants showcase their lavatory designs and compete for a grand prize. Fueled by their passion for bathroom humor, they decide to enter as a team. With their unique and bizarre design concept, Max and Gary face fierce competition and numerous setbacks, but their determination and unorthodox creativity might just give them a shot at victory.

"Piss Pals" is a quirky and lighthearted sitcom that explores the hilarious situations that arise from Max and Gary's unconventional friendship. Each episode promises laughter, outrageous moments, and unexpected twists as the duo hilariously navigates the ups and downs of their lives, all centered around their shared love for bathroom humor.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Episode 1: "Covered in Hot Piss"

Synopsis:
In the season 2 premiere of "Piss Pals," Max and Gary find themselves in a sticky situation when a practical joke goes wrong, leaving them covered in hot urine just before an important work presentation. Hilarity ensues as they desperately try to clean up and salvage their professional reputations while dealing with the consequences of their ill-fated prank.

Plot:

The episode opens with Max and Gary brainstorming ideas for their next prank, determined to outdo their previous antics. They come up with a plan to rig a water balloon filled with warm water to burst on a colleague, Steve, during a meeting. Unbeknownst to them, their mischievous plan is about to take an unexpected turn.

On the day of the prank, Max and Gary sneak into the conference room early to set up the water balloon trap. However, due to a mix-up, instead of filling the balloon with warm water, Gary accidentally fills it with hot lemon tea from the office kitchen. Ignorant of the change, they proceed with their scheme.

As the meeting begins and Steve takes his seat, Max and Gary watch from a distance, eagerly waiting for their moment. Just as they release the water balloon, filled with scalding hot tea, they realize their mistake. The balloon bursts, covering not only Steve but also Max and Gary in a shower of piping hot liquid.

In a state of shock, Max, Gary, and Steve all rush to the nearest restroom to clean up. However, they find themselves faced with a broken sink, leaving them without access to running water. Max and Gary's attempts to wipe off the tea only make matters worse, spreading the sticky mess all over themselves and the restroom.

Panicked, Max and Gary come up with a plan to salvage the situation. They decide to use their creativity to distract their colleagues while they desperately search for a solution. Max suggests staging an impromptu comedy skit in the conference room to divert attention from their stained and sticky appearances.

With a makeshift stage set up, Max and Gary take the spotlight, using their bathroom humor and improvised jokes to entertain their coworkers. The audience is in stitches, completely unaware of the chaos unfolding behind the scenes.

Meanwhile, Max manages to contact the building maintenance staff, who eventually arrive to fix the broken sink. With water finally flowing, Max, Gary, and Steve rush back to the restroom and frantically clean themselves up, emerging just in time for the end of their comedy act.

To their relief, the diversion works, and the attention of their colleagues shifts away from their embarrassing mishap. Max and Gary manage to salvage their professional reputations and even receive praise for their comedic talents.

As the episode comes to a close, Max and Gary reflect on the absurdity of the situation and vow to think twice before executing their pranks. Little do they know that their determination to avoid future disasters will only lead them into even more outrageous and unpredictable predicaments in the episodes to come.

"Covered in Hot Piss" sets the tone for a hilariously chaotic second season of "Piss Pals," promising more awkward situations, outrageous pranks, and the enduring bond between Max and Gary as they navigate the unpredictable world of bathroom humor.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

AI is boring
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Yes to reality crap. The Writers' Guild stated from the beginning that, as part of their strike, anyone who writes during the strike will either lose their membership in the guild or be permanently disqualified for membership. Any scripted lines generated for other shows, such as reality shows, are written by people with titles like "story producer" or "segment producer".
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Piss Pals can't be worse than Big Bang Theory.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sigh

BBT is fine. Better than fine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:16 pm sigh

Did you read the antics Max and Gary are up to? And Mrs. Jenkins? Come on!!! This is gold!
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:16 pm sigh

Yes. Perhaps not *much* better than fine. But definitely at least fine.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Also King of Queens is much better than fine and remains a great re-watch whenever I stumble across an episode.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean... the disconnect is that folks that like Sunny and edgier/weirder comedy shows look at the Set 'em up/Knock 'em down style of King of Queens and Big Bang Theory (and in hindsight Friends) and think they are corny and overly formulaic.

And they are.

They are also pretty damn funny if you can just enjoy it for what it is. They aren't there to surprise or shock you.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just do not mention Everybody Loves Raymond unless you want to hear me chuckling like a mad man.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:57 am I mean... the disconnect is that folks that like Sunny and edgier/weirder comedy shows look at the Set 'em up/Knock 'em down style of King of Queens and Big Bang Theory (and in hindsight Friends) and think they are corny and overly formulaic.

And they are.

They are also pretty damn funny if you can just enjoy it for what it is. They aren't there to surprise or shock you.
One of my teammates in college did a film breakdown of Friends for some class. It basically pointed to the joke writing of setup and then each of the characters getting in their slightly funny line (especially in the coffee shop or the girl's apartment). I can't watch an episode of that show without seeing it. I wonder how much that had to do with writers focusing on the egos of the actors to keep it "fair".
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:57 am I mean... the disconnect is that folks that like Sunny and edgier/weirder comedy shows look at the Set 'em up/Knock 'em down style of King of Queens and Big Bang Theory (and in hindsight Friends) and think they are corny and overly formulaic.

And they are.

I’ve only seen a few episodes of King of Queens, and it seemed fine. I like the cast. I’ve tried watching BBT several times and I just find it painfully unfunny. And laugh track constantly going off at jokes that aren’t funny drives me nuts. On most shows I don’t notice it, but in BBT it’s way overused and takes me out of the show. And completely agree with the overly formulaic thing. I fell way behind on TV shows when my kids were little and I watched everything with my wife, who doesn’t like most of my favorite shows. Plus I didn’t have HBO, so I’m catching up on 15 years worth of shows, no reason to waste time on mindless, predictable dreck I feel like I watched dozens of times in the 80s and 90s.

Just remembered why I watched King of Queens. When I played beer pong with GPJ, our opponent made fun of me because I looked like one of the characters. He wasn’t wrong.

-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You look nothing like Patton Oswalt.

(your image is coming up broken)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:11 pm Piss Pals can't be worse than Big Bang Theory.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And that perfectly encapsulates the type of person that just needs to change the channel and calm the fuck down.

Jesus.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:37 am And that perfectly encapsulates the type of person that just needs to change the channel and calm the fuck down.

Jesus.
Makes me like BBT a little bit now, tbh.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

My brain isnt wired to be amused by that. Some similar shows I dont like (HIMYM/Friends) but I could see how someone might with the right life experiences. No such understanding here. Are the jokes specific to stem graduate students? Youngish city dwellers? Nerds generally? Just no enjoyment there. Like trying to make a boomer (or teenager) enjoy Dungeons and Dragons. Much sooner watch the guy from King of Queens do dumb stuff and Sunny is just tremendous. Totally different class.