Bittersweet: Time to Toss the 90’s/00’s Tech

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

Bittersweet: Time to Toss the 90’s/00’s Tech

Post by Rex »

....or at least pare it down to one storage bin. This was all stuff that was essential to my life at some point this century. It’s a painful day but it has to be done.

Here are the calls so far:

Delphi XM radio with stand, AM antenna, FM antenna, power cord: Toss. Hope this subscription isn’t still alive.
USB to S-Video adapter: Toss. WTF is this? I think it came with a Dell desktop based on the coloring.
Red/White/Yellow A/V cables: Keep one. There’s always some retro product that needs these.
TiVo component A/V cables, power cord, infrared adapter: Toss, sadly. I loved TiVo.
Coaxial cables: Toss, burn, shoot into sun, then explode. (I kept one).
Coaxial splitters: Keep. They’re small and look cool, maybe they can be melted down.
Surround sound speaker wire: Toss. Your ability to collect dust and dog hair will never be forgotten.
Logitech wired mouse: Toss.
Logitech wireless mouse: Hmm, I’ll try this one out.
Airport express, 1st or 2nd generation: See if it works to boost my existing signal, toss if not.
Apple FireWire to FireWire adapter: Keep. I have no idea what this does, but it’s too weird to toss.

Also, I have about 5-10 of each of these, along with about 15 power cords with the two hole adapters on the other side. Think I can toss some of them?
edwzipper
Maude Lebowski

Re: Bittersweet: Time to Toss the 90’s/00’s Tech

Post by edwzipper »

Dont toss... recycle.
How long have you been a Black quaterback?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Finding all sorts of stuff in packing to move. Just found a box of floppy disks my wife had. She wants to make sure there is nothing important on them before I toss. How the fuck am I going to access the data? There must be some device that attaches with USB, but fuck that.

For some reason we have an ancient TV (maybe 20 years old), the old giant box (cathode ray?). I'm thinking we keep it in the basement, and hook up the Atari 2600 to it. Haven't set it up since senior year of college, so hopefully it works. Maybe I'll plug in the VCR to that TV. I found a dual VCR/DVD player and found a converter to hook it up to the 65 inch TV and played tapes of my 10 year old soccer games. VCR tapes are not meant to be played on 65 inch flat screens. Coupled with the horribly shaky early generation camcorder, it was nauseating to watch.

Found some enormous external hard drives that hold like 256 K or something stupid small. First Gen iPod... It's a treasure trove of stuff that has remained in boxes for 15 years.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:14 pm Finding all sorts of stuff in packing to move. Just found a box of floppy disks my wife had. She wants to make sure there is nothing important on them before I toss. How the fuck am I going to access the data? There must be some device that attaches with USB, but fuck that.

For some reason we have an ancient TV (maybe 20 years old), the old giant box (cathode ray?). I'm thinking we keep it in the basement, and hook up the Atari 2600 to it. Haven't set it up since senior year of college, so hopefully it works. Maybe I'll plug in the VCR to that TV. I found a dual VCR/DVD player and found a converter to hook it up to the 65 inch TV and played tapes of my 10 year old soccer games. VCR tapes are not meant to be played on 65 inch flat screens. Coupled with the horribly shaky early generation camcorder, it was nauseating to watch.

Found some enormous external hard drives that hold like 256 K or something stupid small. First Gen iPod... It's a treasure trove of stuff that has remained in boxes for 15 years.
Any Zip disks? How about Jaz drives?
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:17 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:14 pm Finding all sorts of stuff in packing to move. Just found a box of floppy disks my wife had. She wants to make sure there is nothing important on them before I toss. How the fuck am I going to access the data? There must be some device that attaches with USB, but fuck that.

Any Zip disks? How about Jaz drives?
Yes, did find a Zip drive
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

That iPod could get you some $ on eBay. People love 'em for some reason.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I finally tossed a jaz drive a few months ago but I'll call that semi-recent... or it's been a long time since I convinced myself I needed bank software from my then employer. And if that Atari is the black and brown faux wood type it definitely works. Whether you can find a TV with the two pronged screw on attachment whole different matter.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:15 pm I finally tossed a jaz drive a few months ago but I'll call that semi-recent... or it's been a long time since I convinced myself I needed bank software from my then employer. And if that Atari is the black and brown faux wood type it definitely works. Whether you can find a TV with the two pronged screw on attachment whole different matter.
I have a switch box that plugs into this TV. I think it'll work. Then again, I didn't open the box labelled Atari to see what was actually in it.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:07 pm That iPod could get you some $ on eBay. People love 'em for some reason.
I apparently left my car unlocked awhile back and somebody rifled through it. The only thing they took was an old iPod. So, yes.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Some of the first-gen iPods are worth more now than you would have paid for them 18 years ago. I have a second-gen one myself in one of those plastic tubs full of old electronics (including a nook and lord even knows what else).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Anyone need cd/roms of a couple programs? Shocking to think that they are way out of date already.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:43 pm Anyone need cd/roms of a couple programs? Shocking to think that they are way out of date already.
Do they come with a drive?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:44 pm
Pruitt wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:43 pm Anyone need cd/roms of a couple programs? Shocking to think that they are way out of date already.
Do they come with a drive?
Afraid not.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:38 am Some of the first-gen iPods are worth more now than you would have paid for them 18 years ago. I have a second-gen one myself in one of those plastic tubs full of old electronics (including a nook and lord even knows what else).
Just found a Gen 3 iPod and charger, back when Apple had the slightly misshapen USB plug into the adapter. Charged it, got an error message. Can't imagine anyone would want that, so it's going in the recycle box. Can't believe how thick that was. It's like a Costanza wallet.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Apparently Ronaldo does old tech. 4th Generation iPod Shuffle introduced in 2010 (but only discontinued in 2017)