68%
1990s
32%

Total votes: 31

mister d
The Dude

Re: Poll: 80's Nostalgia vs 90's Nostalgia

Post by mister d »

I'm picturing mild-mannered midwestern kids smiling and watching Korn and Limp Bizkit then politely clapping after each song.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:40 pm I'm picturing mild-mannered midwestern kids smiling and watching Korn and Limp Bizkit then politely clapping after each song.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:40 pm I'm picturing mild-mannered midwestern kids smiling and watching Korn and Limp Bizkit then politely clapping after each song.
I'm just not sure kids from Minnesota and Wisconsin would have torn down the place and set it on fire I'm saying.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm curious to see this doc. It was the summer after my first year of law school. I had an internship with the Massachusetts Dept of Corrections. There were maybe 4 or 5 law student interns, and one undergrad. The undergrad girl went to Woodstock 99 and offered me a ticket and a ride when one of her friends dropped out. It was a hard pass. I remember her first day back hearing her stories about the concert, and her complete lack of discretion in her tales, even when some of the attorneys were listening. She proudly announced that she went topless for most of the weekend. She was also dumb enough that the day we took a tour of a super-max prison, she decided to wear a very short skirt. The young, male attorney accompanying us on the trip was horrified and too scared to say anything to her.

For the Western New Yorkers, she was from Buffalo, so I made some joke about Cellino and Barnes... it did not go over well, as one of them was her uncle.
brian wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:04 am I finally watched the Woodstock '99 documentary this morning and thought it was pretty good.

It's interesting that I was just a little too old to be the target demographic because while I was a fan of some of the bands on the festival (and wouldn't have gone even if someone had paid for my tickets), the whole thing at the time kind of slipped under my radar. I mean I knew it was going on, but I don't think I knew what a shitshow it was or really had any kind of thoughts about it at the time one way or the other. (I was traveling about 240 days a year for work at the time, so a LOT of stuff around that time didn't really end up pinging on my radar.)

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You know Barnes died last year wrecking his plane?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

You all got me to watch this last night. It was...pretty damn fantastic, actually. Was able to pretend that Simmons wasn't involved. Wesley Morris being one of the commentators was a tremendous call. I think it did a pretty damn good job at setting the event in its cultural in-the-moment context. Also, how many of those hundreds of thousands of frat-type dudes are now MAGA? 50%? More?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Haven't watched yet, but I do love Wesley Morris. Might have to give this a viewing.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Had the occasion (honor!) to make a Cookie Dough Sport reference earlier today and when I looked it up I saw that appeared on the 10/4/97 episode hosted by Matthew Perry with musical guest Oasis and that’s (as one would assume from the date) a really 90s show.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Ran to a '90s Alternative music mix and it wasn't all the normal stuff I usually hear from Amazon:

I got some Sneaker Pimps (6 Underground) and Lush (Ladykillers), both of which I hadn't heard in years, and then a song I don't think I've ever heard before.

How do you all get your death notices since I left?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Reaper wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:45 amI got some Sneaker Pimps (6 Underground)
No issues running with a huge boner?

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I had a friend back in the 90s who was a big Sebadoh fan.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:00 am
Reaper wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:45 amI got some Sneaker Pimps (6 Underground)
No issues running with a huge boner?

"I can't believe (I) came."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:00 am No issues running with a huge boner?
That's how I carry my bagels home.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Watched the Woodstock '99 doc. Very, very good.

I was 16 at the time so I wasn't exactly the target demographic, but I was a fan of all the music that played. And I watched TRL every day after school.

I remember watching it on PPV on my aunt's illegal black box. Seeing all of those people crammed together was just too much to wrap my head around. I don't think I had ever been to a concert yet either, so it also set a tone.

Watching it now as a 38 year old and reflecting back, it's weird to see just how the mid to late 90's really had this aggressive vibe. The music of the time was loud and angry. And everyone who listened was loud and angry with it.

A couple things:

I didn't realize it happened at the BRAC'd Griffiss AFB.

NO CELL PHONES. Holy shit. As I get older I don't remember much in my earlier life when I didn't have one. Seeing that many people in one location without a way to have communication makes me feel fine about always being connected to my phone.

Water for $4 a bottle in 1999?? 20+ years later and that's still a gross amount of money to pay. Nestle is licking their chops.

It doesn't shock me at all that the old guy they interviewed STILL blames women being nude for their sexual assaults and rapes AND he blames Limp Bizkit for inciting the riot. Knuckleheads are gunna knucklehead, but Jesus, dude. Take some responsibility in setting up that tinder box.

I'll always shit on Boomers every chance I get, so I was glad when they got shit-talked about basically never ceding anything in the power structure until they die. I swear, there's something to the way they raised us that planted the seeds for so many of us to be so messed up. (And I'm not above admitting I'm in this group.)

But really, what the hell created so much angst and animosity in the late 90's that persists to this day? It's overwhelmingly from white males. Wesley Morris is right. The rage and hate had to be in person in those times, but now it manifests itself online. I don't get it. It seems like there's this playbook to get people enraged in order to keep their attention and then profit from it. It was MTV and other mass media then and it's Facebook now. Someone in power knows the buttons to push and they do it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Heard this in the car on the way to pickup takeout and decided it’s 100% rass rock.

I played it on my phone on the way home and my voice did not holdup for a second pass at it. That means it’s good!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Come to My Window eats that song for lunch
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Been avoiding news-y stations and the Pens/Devils game is blacked out on ESPN+ for me even though I don’t get MSG and the Pens are losing anyway and yeah there was a HM Christmas movie on HMMM starring Autumn Reeser but it went to commercial and I was flipping around and checked out MTV Classic because sometimes I hit gold there but it too was in a commercial break but I noticed BET Soul just below it on the guide and there was a show on called “Diggin’ the Crates” which claimed to show old school R&B and hip-hop videos and I clicked on it and caught the end of Something in My Heart by Michel’le which holy shit haven’t heard since middle school on the school bus and then they played, with one break for one commercial for one show I’ve never heard of, Giving Him Something He Can Feel, Night and Day (World Trade Center trigger warning), I Wanna Sex You Up and Sensitivity. Then a song I’ve never heard of but these girls seem to like dancing in shirt jorts on the beach so no need to change the channel.

GD this is a great video:
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Reaper wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:07 pm"I can't believe (I) came."
I didn’t see this when you posted and I'm mad because I love it. Great movie. Unironically.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:32 pm
Reaper wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:07 pm"I can't believe (I) came."
I didn’t see this when you posted and I'm mad because I love it. Great movie. Unironically.
I mean, if anyone would appreciate it...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m sorry this took so long.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Hey Man, is that Freedom Rock?
-Pruitt
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Zamfir or Yanni?

Who you got?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yanni!

My senior year's basketball highlight video had one of his songs. Definitely nostalgia there. My sister somehow had the copy and found it when she moved. We just need to find something called a VCR to watch it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Giff wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:29 pmYanni!
First time my wife-to-be took me to meet her parents, her father insisted that I sit down and watch some of the new vhs he had just bought - "Yanni Live At The Acropolis."

Good thing she was so hot.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:29 pm Yanni!

My senior year's basketball highlight video had one of his songs. Definitely nostalgia there. My sister somehow had the copy and found it when she moved. We just need to find something called a VCR to watch it.
I think I still have one! Not sure where it is, though. And I have an old school TV that can connect to VCR. Sister-in-law was going to throw it out maybe 15 years ago and I asked for it to hook up my Atari 2600. Still haven't hooked it up, and that fucking TV weighs 200 pounds and is a bitch to move. On the plus side, it saved me when the USMNT had the snow game WCQ against Costa Rica. My flat screen died and I only had one TV. Dug the CRT tv out to watch the game.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Typical northeast lib.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

They weren't showing the games on PBS. He's making this story up.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:29 pm We just need to find something called a VCR to watch it.
We have one! All hooked up, works and everything!

(We have it for when my GF's autistic daughter comes over and wants to watch one of her Disney movies)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:40 am
Giff wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:29 pm We just need to find something called a VCR to watch it.
We have one! All hooked up, works and everything!

(We have it for when my GF's autistic daughter comes over and wants to watch one of her Disney movies)
Watch party in Seattle! I call the couch.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I have an old small tv that has a vcr built into it. Maybe I should get it out of storage.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Tee he gun blossoms were at a county fair in Kentucky this weekend
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:11 pm Tee he gun blossoms were at a county fair in Kentucky this weekend
I’m sure that’s all just auto-correct fucking with you but it reads like you’re mocking me AND having auto-correct issues.

Anyway that could have been our Railbird…
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

rass wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:17 pm
A_B wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:11 pm Tee he gun blossoms were at a county fair in Kentucky this weekend
I’m sure that’s all just auto-correct fucking with you but it reads like you’re mocking me AND having auto-correct issues.

Anyway that could have been our Railbird…
AND considering poor Phil Hartman’s fate a really sick sense of humor.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:18 pm Been avoiding news-y stations and the Pens/Devils game is blacked out on ESPN+ for me even though I don’t get MSG and the Pens are losing anyway and yeah there was a HM Christmas movie on HMMM starring Autumn Reeser but it went to commercial and I was flipping around and checked out MTV Classic because sometimes I hit gold there but it too was in a commercial break but I noticed BET Soul just below it on the guide and there was a show on called “Diggin’ the Crates” which claimed to show old school R&B and hip-hop videos and I clicked on it and caught the end of Something in My Heart by Michel’le which holy shit haven’t heard since middle school on the school bus and then they played, with one break for one commercial for one show I’ve never heard of, Giving Him Something He Can Feel, Night and Day (World Trade Center trigger warning), I Wanna Sex You Up and Sensitivity. Then a song I’ve never heard of but these girls seem to like dancing in shirt jorts on the beach so no need to change the channel.

Back on my shit. Poison into My Prerogative.

In the set before that they had Tribe/Scenario into Leaders of the New School.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:12 pm
rass wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:18 pm Been avoiding news-y stations and the Pens/Devils game is blacked out on ESPN+ for me even though I don’t get MSG and the Pens are losing anyway and yeah there was a HM Christmas movie on HMMM starring Autumn Reeser but it went to commercial and I was flipping around and checked out MTV Classic because sometimes I hit gold there but it too was in a commercial break but I noticed BET Soul just below it on the guide and there was a show on called “Diggin’ the Crates” which claimed to show old school R&B and hip-hop videos and I clicked on it and caught the end of Something in My Heart by Michel’le which holy shit haven’t heard since middle school on the school bus and then they played, with one break for one commercial for one show I’ve never heard of, Giving Him Something He Can Feel, Night and Day (World Trade Center trigger warning), I Wanna Sex You Up and Sensitivity. Then a song I’ve never heard of but these girls seem to like dancing in shirt jorts on the beach so no need to change the channel.

Back on my shit. Poison into My Prerogative.

In the set before that they had Tribe/Scenario into Leaders of the New School.
Native Tongues night might just be priming the pump for the release (finally) of De La Soul’s catalogue tomorrow on streaming platforms. Been waiting for this ever since I misplaced my binder of cd’s that was compiled while in college.

Edit: They only release 2 songs today. I think March 3rd is release date for everything else. Damn it.
Last edited by cerranoredux on Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Other than their being more Elway in the 1980s, this is not even close. Also:
DangerMouseTVtitle.jpg
DangerMouseTVtitle.jpg (13.43 KiB) Viewed 380 times
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Somehow, DirecTV gave us MTV Classic. A couple of pop hits I had completely forgotten about until seeing them in the last couple months that bridge the decades...

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:26 pm
rass wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:11 pm Next week Ed Kowalczyk joins us to discuss how Lightning Crashes doubles as an allegory for Sino-Prussian diplomatic relations in the late 19th century.
Dan Carlin's 8-hour podcast on the historic Placenta Treaty is outstanding.

I don’t think I’m overselling the drama when I say Steve is right! I recommend reading it if you have even the slightest interest but here are some excerpts…
…so far, their gigs have largely been limited to casinos in tertiary markets like Mount Pleasant, Michigan, and Bensalem, Pennsylvania.
(I don’t think I had ever heard of the
Rock Lititz campus)
…Taylor reformed Live in 2012 with Gracey and Dahlheimer — and Chris Shinn, son of billionaire Charlotte Hornets owner George Shinn, as their singer.
They quickly found themselves on the Nineties nostalgia circuit with B-list acts like Everclear and Filter…
Taylor tried producing movies, like the 2010 Ernest Borgnine-Cybill Shepherd film Another Harvest Moon
But Hynes had an idea to lay down a fiber-optic cable that ran directly from New York to Ashburn, Virginia, bypassing the big cities along the I-95 corridor where Verizon and others ran their cables.
”There was an inappropriate relationship between my now ex-wife and Chad Taylor,” the drummer claims.
We park and walk into Redeux Vintage, an upscale vintage clothing store where a Billy Joel T-shirt from the Storm Front tour will set you back $75.
”I voted for Donald Trump in 2020,” Gracey says. “And I had my conspiracy theories about Covid and vaccines and stuff like that, sure. I would look at the [Q] stuff, and I never took it seriously.”
Taylor, despite everything, hopes the band someday finds a way to come together. “My family will kill me for saying this,” he says. “But I’d do a show with all the boys tomorrow. I love them — even Gracey and all his screwed-up shit. I love them, and I love the music we made.”