Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by tennbengal »

Right. Did someone change the rules all of a sudden?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:13 pm
tennbengal wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:03 pm Heh - I estimate that I killed 35 co-geriatric people. Course, by getting the shot, I saved 48 additional geriatric people by not getting sick, so I am +13.
Try drawing that out on the trolley problem meme.
As usual, the 35 had it coming. As is the universal to the trolley problem.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A while back I posted about a childhood friend whose father died and mother went into the hospital. I'm happy to report his mother returned home yesterday after 4 weeks in the hospital. His sister was sending daily updates that got to my mother. Nurses reported positive news just about every day, but she couldn't breath without a full oxygen mask until last week. Apparently they wanted to release her to a rehab center, but insurance refused, so they had to keep her in the hospital for a few more days, which probably cost the insurance company more than the rehab center would have cost. Luckily my friend lives on the same street as his mother, his sister is in the same development and his brother is 10 minutes away, so they are taking turns living with the mother to take care of her. Also fortunate, another friend who stayed in town is a physical therapist who quit to stay a home with the kids, and he is going to work with her. Fuck insurance companies, and fuck all the Republicans who prevent us from having a first world health care system. Fucking "Obama Death Panels..." meanwhile insurance companies with a sole goal of making profits decides our healthcare options.

Really gutted for the mother though. Can't imagine losing her husband of almost 60 years while she is very sick with COVID, going into the hospital a few days after he dies. I'm sure she is in really rough shape being in an ICU for 4 weeks (fortunately never on a ventilator), then coming home to an empty house and having missed your husband's funeral.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A guy who used to live in our neighborhood, whose wife was our oldest's Girl Scout troop leader years ago and who my wife is still friends with on FB, just died of it this week. He had been on a ventilator weeks ago and his oxygen levels were REALLY low, but last I had been told he was doing better. They had two older kids, too, so he was probably early/mid 50s, and (when we knew him, at least) a smoker and a big dude.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just got back from my first Pfizer shot. Gotta say, very well run mass vaccination site down in Waldorf. Heard a similar account at the Baltimore and Six Flag sites.

Competent government. Huh.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:58 pm Just got back from my first Pfizer shot. Gotta say, very well run mass vaccination site down in Waldorf. Heard a similar account at the Baltimore and Six Flag sites.

Yeah same here. I was just telling my wife how impressed I was with the efficiency of the mass vaccination site I used yesterday.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I was slightly nervous going in because my status for what phase I'm in is a little fuzzy. Folks that work at utilities are technically Phase 2 here per the state, but in the county I live and work in (2 separate), I am classified in Phase 1c, which is where we're at.

Slight moral quandary, but not by much.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jealous of anyone that isn't in "dead fucking last".
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:00 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:58 pm Just got back from my first Pfizer shot. Gotta say, very well run mass vaccination site down in Waldorf. Heard a similar account at the Baltimore and Six Flag sites.

Yeah same here. I was just telling my wife how impressed I was with the efficiency of the mass vaccination site I used yesterday.
Smooth as hell here. But then again, Utah's government usually is pretty competent, as much as I hate their politics.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I went to walgreens because it was easy to get to. The main site is UK's football field, but it's a bear to get around there these days. It took me about an hour, but they figured it out.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Here, it was the San Mateo County Exhibition Grounds (used to be Bay Meadows Horse Racing track). As you drive in they herd you into two lines. They check your ID and shot registration through your closed car window, then your row splits into about 20 different rows. You roll down your window, show your ID again and get a shot through the car window. Then you exit and wait in another line in your car for 20 minutes (to make sure you don't have immediate side effects). Then you drive away, having never gotten out of your car.

Takes nearly the same length of time to get through the drive-thru line at In-N-Out burger.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ha ha first time a shot through a car window has been a good thing in California ha ha.

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

How are people without cars getting their jabs?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:40 pm How are people without cars getting their jabs?
I honestly don't know the answer to that one. Maybe an Uber takes them through the line?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:58 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:40 pm How are people without cars getting their jabs?
I honestly don't know the answer to that one. Maybe an Uber takes them through the line?
That's gonna be me in two months.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

In our county we have a couple of drive-through injection sites but also plenty that aren't.

I guess you'd still need to get a cab or an Uber to the building where the vaccinations are happening, though.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I don’t know if it’s related but I feel like shit today. And the forehead scanners in the office say I’m running a fever so I came home. Gonna take a nap.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:37 pm I don’t know if it’s related but I feel like shit today. And the forehead scanners in the office say I’m running a fever so I came home. Gonna take a nap.
Hope you feel better soon, AB. Enjoy the nap.

I've had a slightly sore arm but that's it so far.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:08 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:37 pm I don’t know if it’s related but I feel like shit today. And the forehead scanners in the office say I’m running a fever so I came home. Gonna take a nap.
Hope you feel better soon, AB. Enjoy the nap.

I've had a slightly sore arm but that's it so far.
No problems here. Feel better AB.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So the old lady says that people who had COVID had bad reactions to both vaccine shots. We have a friend who got it late spring last year and confirmed he had that experience. I had what I thought was a bad flu late February last year so it possible I had it and didn’t know it because it was before testing was available. Who knows. But I woke up and felt fine for a while but I’m feeling feverish again right now. Sucks because it’s the busiest week for my MBA and I have no choice but to do several hours of work tomorrow because I lost all of today.

Not looking forward to dose two at this point.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:58 pm So the old lady says that people who had COVID had bad reactions to both vaccine shots.
This is wonderful news to read on a bright Saturday morning.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:23 am
A_B wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:58 pm So the old lady says that people who had COVID had bad reactions to both vaccine shots.
This is wonderful news to read on a bright Saturday morning.
Sorry. I still feel pretty bad. Just flat worn down.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Happy to read all the stories about folks getting their shots. But how are you getting appointments? Nothing here in Washington so far for my cohort.

I turned down two opportunities to go sailing today. I just didn't feel right about being on a boat, sitting elbow to elbow with others on the rail, even if wearing a mask. There is just no way to 'socially distance' on a Farr 30.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

More like a Nearr 6, right?

(in trying to figure out how many people it takes to man one of those I found an article from Sailing World written by Dave Reed - weird)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:34 pm Happy to read all the stories about folks getting their shots. But how are you getting appointments? Nothing here in Washington so far for my cohort.

I turned down two opportunities to go sailing today. I just didn't feel right about being on a boat, sitting elbow to elbow with others on the rail, even if wearing a mask. There is just no way to 'socially distance' on a Farr 30.
It's 65 and over in California right now, just like Washington. So, my wife is still waiting. The only reason I got in earlier is that I qualify as a "food service worker", because I deliver for Meals on Wheels.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Little gatekeeping around here so more a matter of how much dubious justification is required to for you to get the thing and still sleep at night. I sleep like a baby.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My dirt mall! Didn’t know there were doing this.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:34 pm Happy to read all the stories about folks getting their shots. But how are you getting appointments? Nothing here in Washington so far for my cohort.

My sister got hers in Tacoma or thereabouts but she is a social worker who does have to enter homes so probably a higher priority.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:16 pm My dirt mall! Didn’t know there were doing this.
I don’t think it’s possible to be happy there.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:16 pm My dirt mall! Didn’t know there were doing this.

Livingston Mall? Haven’t been there in years.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Just received a text that they automatically scheduled my second dose (4/7). Exactly four weeks after my first dose, even the same time of day.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

What a wonderful coincidence that the state is saying it is now safe to be 3 feet apart in schools rather than 6 feet apart right when the state is demanding all schools to open fully.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Three feet is pretty close. How much closer would everyone be in normal times?
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:21 pm Three feet is pretty close. How much closer would everyone be in normal times?
A foot closer? I used to have everyone in seated pairs or in a horse shoe so in my classes they might have been even closer than that.

Our district (hs only) started saying the same thing, Ed, last week but i don’t think the CDC guidelines have changed. Parents are still sending their kids in even though they have symptoms. And there are teachers not opening their own windows and that pisses me off.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:13 pm Just received a text that they automatically scheduled my second dose (4/7). Exactly four weeks after my first dose, even the same time of day.
one of the reasons I changed my appt to the place closer to my house was because they scheduled dose 2 at the same time as dose 1.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:54 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:13 pm Just received a text that they automatically scheduled my second dose (4/7). Exactly four weeks after my first dose, even the same time of day.
one of the reasons I changed my appt to the place closer to my house was because they scheduled dose 2 at the same time as dose 1.
At our facility they had us schedule the second dose while we were doing the 15-minute observation after having the first. So I'm on for March 31 - presumably along with the other Pfizer Bros.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

4 weeks in Ky so I’m 4/7
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

serrano wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:40 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:21 pm Three feet is pretty close. How much closer would everyone be in normal times?
A foot closer? I used to have everyone in seated pairs or in a horse shoe so in my classes they might have been even closer than that.

Our district (hs only) started saying the same thing, Ed, last week but i don’t think the CDC guidelines have changed. Parents are still sending their kids in even though they have symptoms. And there are teachers not opening their own windows and that pisses me off.
Here's more on it: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... distancing

It looks like the CDC will go to 3 feet, which I probably agree with depending on good mask wearing, ventilation, and limited time stuck together. It's just the timing and all the other reasons they're giving to reopen which are driving me crazy -- just stop with the bullshit and say you need the free daycare schools provide ASAP. Changing everyone's schedule to give kids 2 or 3 months of in-person learning will not help children much in the long-term and may actually hurt many kids, but maybe doing it will help the economy.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:04 pm 4 weeks in Ky so I’m 4/7
that rural moderna vaccine for both the bay area and the coal state
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:35 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:04 pm 4 weeks in Ky so I’m 4/7
that rural moderna vaccine for both the bay area and the coal state
I got pfizer.