NFL Free Agency

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bryan
Jackie Treehorn

NFL Free Agency

Post by bryan »

Chiefs sign Chase Daniel, a certain NASCAR writer we all know and love develops massive erection.
SlimChristian
Jackie Treehorn

Re: NFL Free Agency

Post by SlimChristian »

Ravens lose Paul Kruger to Cleveland and Ellerbe to Miami. Boldin goes to SF for a 6th round pick.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

bryan wrote:Chiefs sign Chase Daniel, a certain NASCAR writer we all know and love develops massive erection.

He hasn't been in here since that was announced, hopefully he's not at the hospital being treated for priaprism.
Popin' ain't easy
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Zlax46 wrote:He hasn't been in here since that was announced, hopefully he's not at the hospital being treated for priaprism.
Priaprism?

What's that? One of those newfangled environmentally-friendly hybrid boners?
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Le Scottie wrote:
Zlax46 wrote:He hasn't been in here since that was announced, hopefully he's not at the hospital being treated for priaprism.
Priaprism?

What's that? One of those newfangled environmentally-friendly hybrid boners?
Aw fuck! I was quite proud of myself for that one too.

I really can't believe I did that.
Popin' ain't easy
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It all makes sense now!

And I like the Kruger move. Let's just hope he doesn't get complacent moving from Baltimore where he had to be aware of gunfire at all hours, I am sure , to Cleveland, where the gunfire is welcomed as a remedy to the soul-crushing despondency.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'll bet you $40 million that the Browns will rue paying Kruger that much money.

I'm also surprised Mike Wallace got so much.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Grasspenis wrote:I'll bet you $40 million that the Browns will rue paying Kruger that much money.

I'm also surprised Mike Wallace got so much.
It's probably likely. But he's 27, so it isn't like he should be over the hill.

But as a browns fan you take what you can get.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If I can give a eulogy for The Dream Team era...

Nnamdi Asomugha was my favorite non-Eagle before he came to Philly, and I was really bummed it didn't work out. I thought that maybe the former OL coach just didn't know how to use him, but seeing that QBs throwing to his covered receivers had a QB Rating of 1994 Steve Young, it looks like the beginning of the end.

Oh, and the last guy I liked on another team as much as Nnamdi? Terrell Owens.

RG3, please don't go to Philly. Whatever you do.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I know how to make Asomugha good again.

First, put him on a team with a godawful run defense. So everybody just runs all over them and doesn't have to pass that much.

Second, ONLY put him on the number 2 WR.

Third, put him opposite a bunch of jokers covering the other team's #1 WR, so when the other team does pass, they throw at their best WR, who is being covered by some random undrafted rookie.

Then, Asomugha will be good again.

Or, basically, send him back to Oakland.
SlimChristian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SlimChristian »

Ravens release Bernard Pollard today.
bryan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by bryan »

Can't say I'm too upset with the Lions moves (letting Avril and Cherilius walk), resigning Chris Houston and signing Reggie Bush and Jason Jones. If they can also land Glover Quin at S, then that's a solid FA and hopefully they can get some impact guys in the draft.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

An explosive back (assuming Reggie "shoulda been a Texan" still is one) would make all the difference in that offence. Shame what happened to Best, otherwise the last two years could have gone differently.

I shudder to think what somebody is going to pay Avril.
Popin' ain't easy
bryan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by bryan »

The Titans GM must be drunk. Throwing around some stupidly huge deals for Shonn Greene and Sammie Lee Hill.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Broncos sign Wes Welker for 2 yrs/ $12 million
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
bryan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by bryan »

Obviously not a True Patriot.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So the Pats offered him even less than that?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Welker to now drop critical 3rd down passes for Peyton Manning 2 yrs 12-14 mil a year.

Supposedly Pats offered 10/2 initially then may have matched, but of course Welker was "disrespected."
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Reports out of Boston that Brady is furious. Tom Curran says he is "beyond enraged." Terms "disgrace" and "disservice" were used.

Of course, nothing will come of it.
Popin' ain't easy
Ryan the Temp
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Ryan the Temp »

RushianRoulette wrote:Welker to now drop critical 3rd down passes for Peyton Manning 2 yrs 12-14 mil a year.
Whoa, I never expected this reaction!!!

I wonder if he'll also catch some of those.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Considering it was "someone close to Brady" and not Brady I am sure you are correct.
Zlax46 wrote:Reports out of Boston that Brady is furious. Tom Curran says he is "beyond enraged." Terms "disgrace" and "disservice" were used.

Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

RushianRoulette wrote:Considering it was "someone close to Brady" and not Brady I am sure you are correct.
Zlax46 wrote:Reports out of Boston that Brady is furious. Tom Curran says he is "beyond enraged." Terms "disgrace" and "disservice" were used.

Sorry, I'm not sure if that was sarcasm. But surely you don't believe that Brady is totally cool with Welker leaving? Seriously?
Popin' ain't easy
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I'm sure that he's displeased, I feel that the decision was BB's, though I'd bet he passed it through Brady. There are younger slot players out there.
The Burglar
Jackie Treehorn

Post by The Burglar »

bryan wrote:Chiefs sign Chase Daniel, a certain NASCAR writer we all know and love develops massive erection.
Already ordered the jersey
The DSG
Jackie Treehorn

Post by The DSG »

Temporary J-Lo wrote:So the Pats offered him even less than that?
PFT says Welker was offered two years, $10 million by NE. And giving the oft-injured Amendola a guarantee bigger than what they would have given Welker is probably the real insult.
"ONIONS!"
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

10 million guaranteed for Danny, for a younger player that isn't oft-injured, but hurt in sort of freak instances.
The Burglar
Jackie Treehorn

Post by The Burglar »

RushianRoulette wrote:10 million guaranteed for Danny, for a younger player that isn't oft-injured, but hurt in sort of freak instances.
No matter the injuries, I think it'd be fair to use similar adjectives for a guy who has missed that much time to injury over the past two seasons.

So glad the kool-aid switched forums with you, Rush.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Burglar wrote:
RushianRoulette wrote:10 million guaranteed for Danny, for a younger player that isn't oft-injured, but hurt in sort of freak instances.
No matter the injuries, I think it'd be fair to use similar adjectives for a guy who has missed that much time to injury over the past two seasons.

Welker’s 11 drops last season were second-most in the NFL. Amendola’s drop rate (2.1 percent of targets dropped) rated second-lowest in the NFL.

(Is Gronk considered injury prone? He's missed considerable time with the same type of injuries.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh man, that's awesome. Patriots fans rip Welker for drops when (1) he's making plays in the toughest area of the field and (2) those drops go along with 118 catches. Somewhere, Dan Shaughnessy is ejaculating.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

RushianRoulette wrote:
The Burglar wrote:

Welker’s 11 drops last season were second-most in the NFL. Amendola’s drop rate (2.1 percent of targets dropped) rated second-lowest in the NFL.

(Is Gronk considered injury prone? He's missed considerable time with the same type of injuries.)

Not being a dick, I'm still not sure if you're being serious or not. Amendola has played in 65% of Rams games in the past four seasons. That is injury prone. And there are actually people out there who think that Gronk ISN'T injury prone? How can anybody argue that with a straight face?

Apologies if you are just joking around here.
Popin' ain't easy
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I think of injury prone as someone that has a wonky ankle, bad hammies, or recurring concussions. Players that get hurt on PATs, trying to catch an over thrown pass, etc. are something different. Unlucky maybe, but not injury prone in the traditional sense.
bryan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by bryan »

WELKAH SUCKS! BUT AT LEAST THA PATS REPLACED HIM WITH A WHITE GUY!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Missing games-prone.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Who is ripping? I appreciate what he did for the team, but they got younger at the position, and set team team up for the future. Plus they have other players that troll the same part of the field.

Other parts of the story lead me to think that he really wasn't up for coming back to the Pats. Perhaps he wants to cement his legacy as something outside of being a "product of the system," etc.
mister d wrote:Oh man, that's awesome. Patriots fans rip Welker for drops when (1) he's making plays in the toughest area of the field and (2) those drops go along with 118 catches. Somewhere, Dan Shaughnessy is ejaculating.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Danny Amendola is not that good. This motherfucker turned an 80+ catch 2011 season into 650 yards. Enjoy the games he is able to play in.

Rush is the stereotypical Patriots fan, right? What are the freak instances, he's hit by NFL players in NFL games and his bones break?
FredRomero

Post by FredRomero »

I think Greg Bedard has been doing the best job writing about the Welker situation: Today's article
With Welker gone, Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels can move forward with an offense that we saw glimpses of early last season — one they feel will make them tougher to defend, especially in the playoffs.

With Welker, Gronkowski, and Hernandez, the Patriots had too many weapons that worked best in the middle of the field.

Removing Welker should leave the middle to the tight ends, with Hernandez taking most of Welker’s snaps inside the numbers. They could also use the other tight ends, Jake Ballard and Michael Hoomanawanui, more with Gronkowski to free up Hernandez as a receiver.

Amendola, who played for McDaniels in St. Louis, and a re-signed Edelman would be outside the numbers, running a variety of short passes, bubble screens, and crossing routes.

The real key to taking the offense to the next level is finding a dynamic boundary receiver with similar traits to Randy Moss. Barring a trade for a Larry Fitzgerald type, the Patriots will have to find that player in the draft.

They have a terrible track record, but it’s time for them to deliver their first consistent receiver in the draft since 2002 (Branch, David Givens). DeAndre Hopkins (Clemson), Justin Hunter (Tennessee), Keenan Allen (Cal), Terrance Williams (Baylor), and Markus Wheaton (Oregon State) are among those who have that type of potential.

The Patriots, through an unnecessarily messy endgame, have made their decision to move on from Welker, and they have a plan that makes the team better. Now it’s up to them to execute it.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Why couldn't they just move Welker out a bit more? Amendola is going to be a different monster to defend? Huh?

Welker ran 75% or so of his plays from the slot. It's not like he trips over his dick if you put him outside. Or, maybe, replace him with like, an actual wide receiver instead of Young Broken Collarbone Welker. That dude is reaching. Just call it what it is, Welker called their bluff and they were forced to sign a guy the Rams didn't even want back.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

In a sport with less contact I would say that Rush's thinking is more appropriate, but yeah, in the NFL, where collisions and the injuries that can occur therefrom are more common, then being injury-prone includes those things.

Jeez. That's a terrible sentence.
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by temporassy »

comma-prone
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush thinks Thomas Davis is the only injury prone player in the NFL.