I See Your Money On The Floor—A Swamp Gardening Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

I See Your Money On The Floor—A Swamp Gardening Thread

Post by Rex »

I have a rather specific gardening-related question and I don’t know where to put it. This is specific to balcony gardening though maybe it isn’t.

My balcony gets decent light (it’s all late afternoon and evening, but enough to grow anything labeled as “Part Sun” and even some “Full Sun” plants. Only problem is that it is located in a wind tunnel. On normal days where there is a still wind on the ground, there is a steady breeze (it’s great in the summer). When the wind gets to 10-15MPH on the ground, things start blowing around up here pretty good. When it gets over 25MPH on the ground, it may as well be the Wizard of Oz up here. This knocks the shit out of any flowers I try to grow and after 1 or 2 storms, they just say fuck it and die. Same with herbs, which I have learned to shield from the wind. I want to grow something on the ledge—do you have recommendations for flowers (or any plants) that are wind resistant?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: I See Your Money On The Floor—A Swamp Gardening Thread

Post by A_B »

Maybe move to the south.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Rake it up. Do you live at onyx? With my 2 months of gardening expertise, consider woody stemmed flowering plants shrubs. Planted a few hibiscus varieties. They are growing fast but have a woody base and the stem seems sturdy. Also maybe a trellis or other support. Planted a coral honeysuckle on mine and growing somewhat slower but supposed to get huge and attract birds. Try trees atlanta maybe. They were out of their way nice and sold me some plants and trees that are still alive.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Mint, oregano, rosemary. All very hardy.