Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Learn Something Random Every Day Thoughts

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well here's one that just got dropped on us... For MANY years, the folks at my company that do the construction and repair and meter reading were referred to as "working out in the field." Just never really occurred to anyone at HQ that this was perceived by many to be really racially charged and offensive.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

An African-American dude I work with still uses "crack the whip". Of course, he also texted our group chat "Let's Go Brandon" so he'd definitely be the Samuel L. Jackson character in Django.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:53 am Well here's one that just got dropped on us... For MANY years, the folks at my company that do the construction and repair and meter reading were referred to as "working out in the field." Just never really occurred to anyone at HQ that this was perceived by many to be really racially charged and offensive.
We say that as well and I never thought of this.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:10 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:53 am Well here's one that just got dropped on us... For MANY years, the folks at my company that do the construction and repair and meter reading were referred to as "working out in the field." Just never really occurred to anyone at HQ that this was perceived by many to be really racially charged and offensive.
I think if HQ and the folks working outside of offices/facilities were homogeneous, it would never have been raised as an issue. But, there is a pretty distinct racial divide, so... here we are.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:03 pm
I think if HQ and the folks working outside of offices/facilities were homogeneous, it would never have been raised as an issue. But, there is a pretty distinct racial divide, so... here we are.
I'm a little more understanding of someone being offended by this phrase, but again, nobody is meaning the term as relating to slavery, it's being out among clients rather than in the office. Something like Indian giving, or saying calling someone "retarded" for doing something stupid, or the F-word for gay people, 100%, those were commonly used until the 90s, and they gotta go, but where does it end?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

And I mean a project that requires a new building and everything is a "green field" project, is that like pre-plowed and planted?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

AT THE SAME TIME, I don't consider it an assault on my freedoms if we collectively decide to call it something else. I don't care if I am no longer going "out in the field" but instead "off to fuck goats". Doesn't really matter.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Feels like that’s the sane landing spot. If someone is genuinely offended just adapt for their benefit.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Another one that caught me a number of years back is saying someone is going off the reservation. Seemed like a clever thing to say, but you gotta think a bit more about what you're really saying.

My "issue" with not using the term "working out in the field" is that it's kind of hard to rephrase that.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Out of massa's office.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:05 pm
I'm a little more understanding of someone being offended by this phrase, but again, nobody is meaning the term as relating to slavery, it's being out among clients rather than in the office. Something like Indian giving, or saying calling someone "retarded" for doing something stupid, or the F-word for gay people, 100%, those were commonly used until the 90s, and they gotta go, but where does it end?
See, but when does it go too far? I had a lawyer friend write this on FB last year and it still bothers me a bit , well, Portuguese is also language, so it's not like it's offensive to just Asians.
some lawyer on Facebook who likes to tell us what's "offensive" wrote:This is your friendly neighborhood lawyer back with an important PSA: Please, for the love of G!d, stop using the word "legalese" (in reference to languages like Japanese or Chinese) and using the -ese suffix to describe things that are difficult to understand. It's racist. Don't do it.
If you'd like to refer to legal language, you can just call it that. Additionally, you could call it "unnecessary gatekeeping," "bullshit jargon," "using big words to impress people," or "being an asshole." Keep in mind that these are just my suggestions.
Any lawyer, educator, or policy person who is worth their salt can and should explain legal concepts in plain language.
The law is a tool of oppression. When those of us who have had the privilege of learning to understand complicated legal language and concepts continue to gatekeep that information we become even more complicit in continuing that oppression.
If you have used your various privileges to gain understanding of concepts that have been made intentionally hard to understand as a way to keep folks on the margins less informed, it is your duty to use your privilege to get that information to as many people as possible.
When we keep information from others, intentionally or not, because we feel we have "earned" it somehow, we are acting just like the systems that oppress us. When we use legal language, complicated terms, and jargon just because we want to show off how much education we have, we become a tool of the oppressor.
How is "ese" racist? I mean, Portuguese is also a language, so is it racist to them as well? They've also said we should stop using the word "manhole" because it assumes that women can't also work those sewer jobs.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:32 am Another one that caught me a number of years back is saying someone is going off the reservation. Seemed like a clever thing to say, but you gotta think a bit more about what you're really saying.

My "issue" with not using the term "working out in the field" is that it's kind of hard to rephrase that.
My paralegal just used this phrase.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I hope you flipped the fuck out on them.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That legalese thing is pretty tortured logic. You can call it classist, but I'd submit that the poster is pretty clearly projecting his thoughts about who would be offended by being talked down to with technical, lawyerly jargon.

I think the overall point of not using trade jargon is fine. But calling it racist says more about his/her perception of the potentially offended is pretty telling.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Reaper wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:59 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:05 pm
See, but when does it go too far? I had a lawyer friend write this on FB last year and it still bothers me a bit , well, Portuguese is also language, so it's not like it's offensive to just Asians.
some lawyer on Facebook who likes to tell us what's "offensive" wrote:This is your friendly neighborhood lawyer back with an important PSA: Please, for the love of G!d, stop using the word "legalese" (in reference to languages like Japanese or Chinese) and using the -ese suffix to describe things that are difficult to understand. It's racist. Don't do it.
If you'd like to refer to legal language, you can just call it that. Additionally, you could call it "unnecessary gatekeeping," "bullshit jargon," "using big words to impress people," or "being an asshole." Keep in mind that these are just my suggestions.
Any lawyer, educator, or policy person who is worth their salt can and should explain legal concepts in plain language.
The law is a tool of oppression. When those of us who have had the privilege of learning to understand complicated legal language and concepts continue to gatekeep that information we become even more complicit in continuing that oppression.
If you have used your various privileges to gain understanding of concepts that have been made intentionally hard to understand as a way to keep folks on the margins less informed, it is your duty to use your privilege to get that information to as many people as possible.
When we keep information from others, intentionally or not, because we feel we have "earned" it somehow, we are acting just like the systems that oppress us. When we use legal language, complicated terms, and jargon just because we want to show off how much education we have, we become a tool of the oppressor.
How is "ese" racist? I mean, Portuguese is also a language, so is it racist to them as well? They've also said we should stop using the word "manhole" because it assumes that women can't also work those sewer jobs.
Yeah, that pissed me off too! How the hell could anyone find "legalese" racist? I've used that term to connote in one word what your lawyer friend said in two paragraphs. (They are clearly a better lawyer than me, as we charge by the word). I do completely agree that the legal profession uses Latin terms to make simple concepts seem confusing or complicated. Even had a first year law professor say we use Legalese to make ourselves necessary, because if concepts had easily understood names, nobody would need lawyers.

I'm all for treating everyone with dignity and respect. I'm all for calling anyone by the pronouns they prefer, removing racist and otherwise hurtful terms, but legalese? Sometimes I feel like social justice warriors are in search of a cause when none exist, and it ends up creating a backlash against legitimate issues. People get fed up with the stupid shit, and revolt against all progress. I know we can't have an arbiter of what is a legit grievance, but I feel like we need to leave it up to the group that is potentially injured by the offense. If there are groups of Asians and Portuguese speaking people outraged at the term legalese, fine, I'll stop using it.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That's not legal, ese!

There. I made it racist.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:43 am That's not legal, ese!

There. I made it racist.
Nice, I was going to work in an ese joke but gave up.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Change it to legalish.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Legalese isn't included in this article about common terms with racist origins.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:19 am Legalese isn't included in this article about common terms with racist origins.
I didn't make it all the way through, but that sure seems like a bunch of mumbo jumbo.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Oh here comes the peanut gallery.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:32 am Oh here comes the peanut gallery.
I think my father sat in the Peanut Gallery during a taping of the Howdy Doody.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Man, some straight up anti-ginger bigotry, Syb. SMH.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:49 pm Man, some straight up anti-ginger bigotry, Syb. SMH.
Thats why I married a ginger, to rebel against my old man.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Were Trump University or Prager U too rigorous academically? Have we got a school for you!

Bari Weiss *AND* Andrew Sullivan? What a delight!

Wait...what's that?

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Went looking for Paul Rudd discourse within the forum in light of his big award this week and I totally forgot that fucking pruitt hates him, too. WTF man?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

How can you hate Paul Rudd?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"always dismal"

"shit sandwich"
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pretty sure my wife would leave me in a heartbeat if she thought she could snag Paul Rudd.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:32 pm "always dismal"

"shit sandwich"
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If someone continuously and unfailingly makes bad takes, is it better to refer to them as “the Joe DiMaggio of being wrong” or “the Cal Ripken of being wrong”?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:02 pm If someone continuously and unfailingly makes bad takes, is it better to refer to them as “the Joe DiMaggio of being wrong” or “the Cal Ripken of being wrong”?
We just call them the wettest horsebets.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ripken for sure because he just kept showing up, not actively accomplishing.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:25 pm Ripken for sure because he just kept showing up, not actively accomplishing.
And you could probably nickname the brother of said purveyor of bad takes "Fuck Face".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

rass wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:24 pm Went looking for Paul Rudd discourse within the forum in light of his big award this week and I totally forgot that fucking pruitt hates him, too. WTF man?
"Hate" is a strong word. He's been in a couple fo things I liked, but I just don't find him very funny.

Although I am looking forward to the Netflix film he's made with Will Ferrell. The podcast of that story was just insane.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:26 pm How can you hate Paul Rudd?
For Mr. D....do you know he has a place in Rhinebeck? He built a full Irish Pub in the basement and bought the local coffee/candy shop to keep it running when the previous owner passed away. Of course my in-laws just sold there place to move to New Paltz.

https://q1057.com/actor-paul-rudd-has-a ... -new-york/

https://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/sto ... 435685002/
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:06 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:26 pm How can you hate Paul Rudd?
For Mr. D....do you know he has a place in Rhinebeck? He built a full Irish Pub in the basement and bought the local coffee/candy shop to keep it running when the previous owner passed away. Of course my in-laws just sold there place to move to New Paltz.

https://q1057.com/actor-paul-rudd-has-a ... -new-york/

https://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/sto ... 435685002/
Wow, they hate him more than Pruitt does!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I did indeed know this. Him and the even more sexy Jeffrey Dean Morgan.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Staubach wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:41 am Last week was the 105th anniversary of the hanging of an elephant....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_(elephant)
The Elephant Suit

A sometimes depressing read. A pretty thorough article.

The section on elephant executions mentions Mary, and is just one of a couple of examples where the article goes pretty hard:
During the age of Jim Crow, the elephant in some meaningful ways replaced “the slave” in the American imagination, a nonhuman nonperson to be shackled, whipped, and even lynched, by daylight, in the public square. After Jennie died in 1898, her skin was tanned and turned into wallets, sold as souvenirs. Elephant insurrections were put down with elephant executions, as the historian Amy Louise Wood has chronicled. At least 36 American-owned elephants were sentenced to execution between 1880 and 1930. Many of these elephant executions, not all of which succeeded, took place in the Jim Crow South, in states that included Georgia, Texas, and South Carolina, but they happened in the North, too. Most often, elephants were notionally charged with murder—they tended to kill their keepers—and executed, vigilante style, as if they were criminals.