Racism

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Re: Racism

Post by Pruitt IV »

Shirley wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:59 am It's not clear to me from that video if it's actually a town park or a park built by that neighborhood. If the latter, it might be private property intended only for residents. Still doesn't justify four police cars.
If that place is like Toronto, there are far too many cops for the actual needs of the city.

I walk my dog on a city golf course, and today - like just about every other day, there were two cars with four cops just hanging out in the parking lot. The most dangerous thing that ever happened on the course was a coyote chasing a dog. But there they sit.
Canadian International
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Makes his appearance on Bill Maher's podcast so frustrating when he's hit with strawmen and bullshit arguments.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

So Bill Maher thinks racism has been solved. Yay! What a fucking idiot.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The most annoying thing about Maher is that he was once labeled a leftish so now everything he says is considered a baseline for reasonable leftism and any disagreement is too extreme. He's just a typical rich libertarian who sucks ass.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A libertarian is simply a Republican who wants to smoke weed and have gay sex. I remind myself of that every time someone self-identifies as one.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

this is as a good way of describing him as I've come up with. Some of my extended family members are unable to modify their viewpoints on people or understand how i maybe used to (maybe) really like this guy and now think he's insufferable/unwatchable.
mister d wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:58 pm The most annoying thing about Maher is that he was once labeled a leftish so now everything he says is considered a baseline for reasonable leftism and any disagreement is too extreme. He's just a typical rich libertarian who sucks ass.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:58 pm The most annoying thing about Maher is that he was once labeled a leftish so now everything he says is considered a baseline for reasonable leftism and any disagreement is too extreme. He's just a typical rich libertarian who sucks ass.

1000x yes
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:06 pm A libertarian is simply a Republican who wants to smoke weed and have gay sex. I remind myself of that every time someone self-identifies as one.
Love this.

I'd always called Libertarianism "cute." Really pisses some people off.

But libertarians are like teenaged "anarchists," people with no clue as to what it takes to keep a civil society working.
Canadian International
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

This was going around a couple years ago...I've always liked the analogy:

I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There's one I liked even better, not sure if I saw it here. Hold ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Found it quick:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

WTAF?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:44 pmWTAF?
He's dressed up as a character from the album The Wall. A fascist, but not an actual Nazi. This was in the movie as well.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:51 pm
He's dressed up as a character from the album The Wall. A fascist, but not an actual Nazi. This was in the movie as well.
Haven't seen it, don't really know the background of The Wall. Do know that dressing up in Nazi gear in Germany is a major no no.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

They gonna get Bob Geldof as well?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:55 pm
Shirley wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:51 pm
Haven't seen it, don't really know the background of The Wall. Do know that dressing up in Nazi gear in Germany is a major no no.
He's playing a character from a 40+ year-old movie. No swastikas or anything. I'm sure actors in Germany can wear Nazi or Nazi-like clothing when playing a role, right? I get that Waters is an asshole, but this seems ridiculous to me.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

OK, did the tiniest bit of Twitter research. Clearly satire. What's the schism currently within Pink Floyd though? Aren't most of them like, "that one dude is a dick"?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:56 pm They gonna get Bob Geldof as well?
Loved one of the Twitter comments with the Jordan Peele sweating gif and "Mel Brooks right now'.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:00 pm OK, did the tiniest bit of Twitter research. Clearly satire. What's the schism currently within Pink Floyd though? Aren't most of them like, "that one dude is a dick"?
Yep. Waters and David Gilmour haven't gotten along in decades. I think the split happened not long after The Wall came out. Waters wasn't involved in the last couple of Pink Floyd albums. I think they've sued each other a few times over usage of the name, songs, etc.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Wall played for 8 nights in Dortmund in 1981, and then to celebrate the wall coming down in 1990 (R Waters solo)... must've really hit a nerve this time around!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Waters is a pro-Putin asshole though so him critiquing fascism is falling on deaf ears here.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“What does present day Waters mean by this” is a relevant question.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That clip leaves out the beginning where she pisses on the sidewalk in full view of everyone.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I saw that too. Playing devil's advocate for a moment, I don't know if that's necessarily racist but rather archaic.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

But I have to suspect he knew what he was saying was offensive. Nobody under the age of 80 ever thought that was acceptable public language.
Last edited by sancarlos on Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:17 pm I saw that too. Playing devil's advocate for a moment, I don't know if that's necessarily racist but rather archaic.
I'll accept his explanation that he mis-spoke.....

He really wanted to use the N-word...with the Hard R...
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:59 pm But I have to suspect he knew what he was saying was offensive. Nobody under the age of 80 ever thought that was acceptable public language.
I agree with you. That wasn't even a dog whistle, it was a whistle.

ETA: The story I had here seemed to go over like a lead balloon. No need to keep it up.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Anyone see the Tommy Tuberville stuff continually defending White Nationalists? Sorry for the long video, none of the shortened clips I could find were embeddable. Starts at 7:40, really kicks in around 9:00.

So at first, I thought maybe he is just really ignorant and doesn't know what a White Nationalist is, and maybe he thinks it means a patriotic white person. Then I realized his original comment is over two months old, and he has been interviewed dozens of times since then to explain what he meant, and he keeps repeating the same lines and cuts interviewers off when they try to define the term for him. This is clearly intentional. He can say he is against racism, but refuses to say anything bad about White Nationals because that is his fucking base. And is saying he was around more minorities than anyone else like saying "I can't be racist because I have a black friend?"
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Tuberville stuff has been going hard almost this entire week. He's disgusting.

Trump has normalized racism within the GOP.

I've alluded to this in the past, but one of the most racist guys I know (used to hang in the 'hood circle of friends) would always preface some racist bullshit with a reference to playing football at MD. Then he'd use a terrible accent and say some terrible shit... Like, it's not ok to say racist shit and say "i've been around a lot of black ppl" as an excuse.

It's simplistic and childish logic/reasoning.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A friend of mine from when I lived in Indiana lives in Bellingham now, and was in town for part of the weekend. He reached out, and we went for a moderate bike ride (~40 miles) on Saturday morning.

As we were riding, he was telling me about this group of guys that he has started to ride with in Bellingham (he and his family moved there from Portland about a year ago). I said how cool that is that he's got a group to ride with, and that I always ride by myself.

Now here's the part that I've been thinking about since that conversation...my friend is African-American, and he told me that he has be to be careful riding out in the backroads by himself, because he doesn't want to "take any chances".

I mean...how incredibly fucked up is that?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:15 pm A friend of mine from when I lived in Indiana lives in Bellingham now, and was in town for part of the weekend. He reached out, and we went for a moderate bike ride (~40 miles) on Saturday morning.

As we were riding, he was telling me about this group of guys that he has started to ride with in Bellingham (he and his family moved there from Portland about a year ago). I said how cool that is that he's got a group to ride with, and that I always ride by myself.

Now here's the part that I've been thinking about since that conversation...my friend is African-American, and he told me that he has be to be careful riding out in the backroads by himself, because he doesn't want to "take any chances".

I mean...how incredibly fucked up is that?
Rural areas out west scare me as much as anyplace in the country, but wtf is a moderate bike ride being around 40 miles?

I'd need like 3 Lyfts to keep up.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sad, and a reminder of my naivite. I thought Bellingham was some sort of ultra-progressive hippie town. But if he is going on 40+ mile rides the landscape changes. Sucks that in this day and age, people still have to think like this. At the same time, I’m not flaunting Mr Jewishness anywhere outside of the Northeast or West Coast. Just a lot easier for me to hide than a black person.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:08 am Sad, and a reminder of my naivite. I thought Bellingham was some sort of ultra-progressive hippie town. But if he is going on 40+ mile rides the landscape changes. Sucks that in this day and age, people still have to think like this. At the same time, I’m not flaunting Mr Jewishness anywhere outside of the Northeast or West Coast. Just a lot easier for me to hide than a black person.
We talk a lot about how America is red state/blue state, but the divide is much more rural/urban.

That recent issue in Ohio that was trying to increase the voting percentage to change laws from 50% to 60% in an effort to outlaw abortion on a state level was defeated solely because of the cities. Three-fourths of the counties in the state voted for the issue to pass, but the counties that Cleveland and Columbus are in voted 3-to-1 against it, the counties of Cincinnati, Toledo, and Akron all voted 2-to-1 against.

Once you get out of actual cities (even smaller ones), things change drastically.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Kind of a tangent, but when MAGA cultists throw out stats that "prove" the election was stolen, one of them is along the lines of "You're going to tell me Trump won 80,000* counties and Biden only won 20,000*... How does that add up?

(* - made up numbers and I don't care to look it up)

First off, people are stupid as fuck. Secondly, this trend is only increasing (cities getting bigger, rural pop is dwindling.) Which is just another reason the GOP is scrambling all over the country to try and lock in their unpopular to most policies while they can. They know the clock is ticking.