Yet Another Dumb Way to Pass Time - PDX (1991) vs Ryan (1992)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Round 1

PDX
76%
Ryan
24%

Total votes: 17

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Yet Another Dumb Way to Pass Time - RUSH (1985) vs DiS (1993)

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:48 pm I think Rush has my top two songs of the 14, but then DIS has the next 6 at least. Although I am re-listening to both just to confirm.
Sort of how I went also. Rush has ALL TIME greats, but one or two that make me reach for the skip function. DiS has a rock solid 1-7. Quality lists, both.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:57 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:56 pm Yet another dumb question from the old guy - are the playlists linked anywhere? Or do I need to scroll back through the threads to find the competitors' lists?
MrD has been putting the contenders on the first post.
Thanks.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I feel like you're all silently dismissing this woman, and I won't stand for it (even if I voted for DiS).

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Yet Another Dumb Way to Pass Time (Music Related Again)

Post by The Sybian »

Sad that the only song I recognize was the SNL skit.
[/quote]

Welp if the goal was to get you to listen to some new tunes, I crushed it.
[/quote]

Totally appreciate that, but 29 seconds a song ain't enough to get me interested. At some point, my brain shit down on having patience to listen to new music. It takes several listens to "get" a song, and I just don't have the patience for it. I had to fight through that 5 or 10 years ago when Bapo! sent me music, and it worked, but I have even less patience for it now. Even on rare occasion when I play my music in the car, I fast forward through songs I love because I lose patience. I wonder if constantly being on my phone or online ruined my attention span, or if it's an aging thing. Probably both.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You're voting just on the previews in the playlist?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:12 pm Sad that the only song I recognize was the SNL skit.
Welp if the goal was to get you to listen to some new tunes, I crushed it.
[/quote]

Totally appreciate that, but 29 seconds a song ain't enough to get me interested. At some point, my brain shit down on having patience to listen to new music. It takes several listens to "get" a song, and I just don't have the patience for it. I had to fight through that 5 or 10 years ago when Bapo! sent me music, and it worked, but I have even less patience for it now. Even on rare occasion when I play my music in the car, I fast forward through songs I love because I lose patience. I wonder if constantly being on my phone or online ruined my attention span, or if it's an aging thing. Probably both.
[/quote]

You aren't listening to the whole thing on Spotify? I've really enjoyed throwing on some of these lists. The message board preview doesn't do them justice.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:12 pmIt takes several listens to "get" a song, and I just don't have the patience for it. I had to fight through that 5 or 10 years ago when Bapo! sent me music, and it worked, but I have even less patience for it now. Even on rare occasion when I play my music in the car, I fast forward through songs I love because I lose patience. I wonder if constantly being on my phone or online ruined my attention span, or if it's an aging thing. Probably both.
Back when I listened to new music all the time, I found that the songs I "got" on the first listen I grew tired of pretty quickly, but the ones that took a few listens were the ones I stuck with.

That's one reason why I've basically been checked out of the new music scene for so long. I have so little opportunity to just listen to music, and it's almost always in short bursts, that I am reluctant to invest the time in something new, when there are so many songs from 1985 I really like and haven't listened to in so long either.

I think I really got into rap the past couple of years because a good beat, rhythmic lyrics and clever wordplay are fun for me to listen to even if I don't know most of the lyrics to any particular song.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:46 pm Despite the lack of variety, have to go DiS here. This is the soundtrack to me discovering weed and beer.
Yeah...some of my choices were pretty obvious (Cannonball and Feed The Tree), but I remembered back to that time, and how freaking huge both of those songs were.

Rush had my favorite REM song on his list.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:01 pm I feel like you're all silently dismissing this woman, and I won't stand for it (even if I voted for DiS).

Don't dismiss this woman either!

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Liz Phair is nice, but I've always and still love Susanna Hoffs.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fuck. Both of these are great plus one band I despise.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:18 pm Fuck. Both of these are great plus one band I despise.
Really want to know which band you despise now...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

All my Swampbucks on RHCP.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:41 am All my Swampbucks on RHCP.
Good bet. I was leaning toward the Smiths for his hatred. Morrissey brings that out in people.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think you guys are right, but I'd throw a couple of bucks on Dire Straits as a longshot.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

One on each side. I don't want to "give it away, give it away, give it away now," but boy do I hate Billy Corgan.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

35 minute warning.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:08 am One on each side. I don't want to "give it away, give it away, give it away now," but boy do I hate Billy Corgan.
Freaky Styley was produced by George Clinton. It's a tad different than the crap after Mother's Milk.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don’t think we have any more matchups both submitted, in part because I haven’t.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

oops

(1992)

Notes:
- I went back on forth on whether to include the first track from AftP or the last. The first seemed appropriate, and I liked the way the opening of Drive sort of sounded similar to the opening of Thorn in My Pride, but when ryan took So Whatcha Want I decided to go a different direction and take the first song off of Check Your Head instead. So Find The River, one of my all-time faves, and the last song on AftP, ends my list.
-Not including Alice in Chains hurt, but this ended up being a pretty chill set of songs, so...
-I love that take on Wild Horses, and hopefully it's been long enough since the mid-90s that no one holds it's ubiquitousness in movies/TV against it
-I also hope Gin Blossoms don't get me shit on, but I decided at some point in the last year or two that Found Out About You is one of my favorite pop/rock songs of that era.
-I may have used it anyway, but I feel like I backed myself into using It Was a Good Day with my stupid thread a couple of weeks ago
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's a really good list, that would be great, if only you'd chosen three different tracks off the same albums.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Might help to put the bracket in the first post as well.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Changed the name of the list.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:13 am
mister d wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:08 am One on each side. I don't want to "give it away, give it away, give it away now," but boy do I hate Billy Corgan.
Freaky Styley was produced by George Clinton. It's a tad different than the crap after Mother's Milk.
What album did you switch to after John Prine?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Meat Puppets
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Giff wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:22 pmMeat Puppets
Gracias.

Rass vs. SCK is going to be a good matchup.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So how is everyone else voting? I said before I don't have the musical awareness of many if not most here, so I created a new way.

I'm playing the playlists straight through with no interruptions. If I put a like on a song, I give the playlist a point. If it's a like on a song that I didn't know from the artist, or I didn't realize that the artist did that song ("oh wait. That's Spacehog? This song slaps") I give it a bonus half a point. And if it's from an artist I'm not really familiar with at all, it gets a full bonus point. I don't take off for songs or artists I don't like (I'm not really a fan, for example, of early DMB or Marilyn Manson). And I give a bonus of sorts if there's a unifying theme or a good track order.

I ended up voting so far for Giff, Shirley, Bengal, and DiS.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:24 pm

You aren't listening to the whole thing on Spotify? I've really enjoyed throwing on some of these lists. The message board preview doesn't do them justice.
I don't have Spotify, and I usually Swamp on my work computer, and I don't think I could download Spotify, so 30 seconds is all I have. I'd like to actually listen to these lists and learn accept what I'm sure are great recommendations, I just don't have the patience to pay attention to new music right now. Steve said it well, good music takes time to actually listen to it, pay attention and listen several times. Not feeling it this week.

Out of respect to the integrity of the game, I haven't voted.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:35 pm So how is everyone else voting? I said before I don't have the musical awareness of many if not most here, so I created a new way.

I'm playing the playlists straight through with no interruptions. If I put a like on a song, I give the playlist a point. If it's a like on a song that I didn't know from the artist, or I didn't realize that the artist did that song ("oh wait. That's Spacehog? This song slaps") I give it a bonus half a point. And if it's from an artist I'm not really familiar with at all, it gets a full bonus point. I don't take off for songs or artists I don't like (I'm not really a fan, for example, of early DMB or Marilyn Manson). And I give a bonus of sorts if there's a unifying theme or a good track order.

I ended up voting so far for Giff, Shirley, Bengal, and DiS.
1) I like your criteria

2) Fuck your criteria for not giving me the vote.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:34 am I don’t think we have any more matchups both submitted, in part because I haven’t.
Just hypothetically, what is the ruling on whether Fight the Power off Fear of a Black Planet qualifies for 1990?

Wiki: First issued on the film's 1989 soundtrack, a different version was featured on Public Enemy's 1990 studio album Fear of a Black Planet.

If it doesn't qualify, then my list is (a) much weaker, but (b) finished.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:35 pm I ended up voting so far for Giff, Shirley, Bengal, and DiS.
So no vote for myself or Chedda
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Still working my way through Rush's list. Both of these playlists are great. The deal-breaker for Rush ironically might be Walk of Life. I love that album and played the hell out of it years ago, but Walk of Life is like my 7th favorite song on that album. Maybe I've just heard it too much.

We'll see though.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We'll start a new matchup tomorrow AM. Work has punted me in the penis today.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:27 pm Still working my way through Rush's list. Both of these playlists are great. The deal-breaker for Rush ironically might be Walk of Life. I love that album and played the hell out of it years ago, but Walk of Life is like my 7th favorite song on that album. Maybe I've just heard it too much.

We'll see though.
It’s impossible for me to hear Walk of Life without smiling. (It was playing the day I moved back to campus for junior year, into a house with friends.) That’s worth something. I put it on the first mix CDs I made for my kids too.
mister d
The Dude

Re: Yet Another Dumb Way to Pass Time - SanCarlos (1955) vs Rass (1992)

Post by mister d »

image.png
image.png (40.24 KiB) Viewed 493 times
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Did I vote? I don't recall voting and I can't now. I do drink and smoke though.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I don't think he reset it yet.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Done now!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I really hate the Smashing Pumpkins, but I really hate the Gin Blossoms...so tough to choose.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like those are different kinds of hate.