Suburbs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Suburbs

Post by Rush2112 »

Never lived there, but had to take the B Greenline 3/4 times a month for work (had meetings at the MFA) my lord that was horrendous. I tried taking the bus once (it's not that far from Davis Sq, but it was even worse.)

Max, meet up for some Beef on Weck and ice cream for lunch tomorrow?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:59 pm Never lived there, but had to take the B Greenline 3/4 times a month for work (had meetings at the MFA) my lord that was horrendous. I tried taking the bus once (it's not that far from Davis Sq, but it was even worse.)

That's why I walked almost exclusively. Didn't take much longer to walk than it took the train with all the red lights, stops every 2 blocks and near accidents.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Ya, I hated all the students taking the train a stop or two...walk. damn it.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Charlie the Butcher then Lake Effect Ice Cream - you're on. :P
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:59 pm Never lived there, but had to take the B Greenline 3/4 times a month for work (had meetings at the MFA) my lord that was horrendous. I tried taking the bus once (it's not that far from Davis Sq, but it was even worse.)

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'd kill for a carnitas burrito at Anna's and the soda bread, Guinness, and fish and chips at Matt Murphy's.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

There's a food truck that is at the local brewery quite often that is festooned in Bills gear, I haven't seen him this season, but I'm sure an additional flag or 3 may have been purchased. Good wings and weck. Have to bring the ice cream though.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:10 pm I'd kill for a carnitas burrito at Anna's and the soda bread, Guinness, and fish and chips at Matt Murphy's.
Yeah, Anna's was great! Don't recall Matt Murphy's. Where was it?
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:10 pm I'd kill for a carnitas burrito at Anna's and the soda bread, Guinness, and fish and chips at Matt Murphy's.
Funny, I miss the food in Boston a lot more than I thought I would. I could really go for a slice from Ernesto's

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel strongly that you guys wouldn't go nuts over Anna's anymore. Its not that its bad, but there's nothing overly great about it either?

By far I miss Highland Kitchen the most. Perfect neighborhood spot. And Redbones was fun to go back to last year just because we'd spent so much time there over our four years.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:18 pm I feel strongly that you guys wouldn't go nuts over Anna's anymore. Its not that its bad, but there's nothing overly great about it either?

Looking back, that was pre-Chipotle, so my basis of comparison was Taco Bell. You might be right. Anna's was the only burrito place my California friends would set foot in, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't as good as I thought.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:24 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:18 pm I feel strongly that you guys wouldn't go nuts over Anna's anymore. Its not that its bad, but there's nothing overly great about it either?

Looking back, that was pre-Chipotle, so my basis of comparison was Taco Bell. You might be right. Anna's was the only burrito place my California friends would set foot in, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't as good as I thought.
They just opened a Taco Bell Cantina on Comm Ave that serves alcohol.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My mouth is watering at the thought of a burrito from a Boston restaurant.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:14 pm
Yeah, Anna's was great! Don't recall Matt Murphy's. Where was it?
Matt Murphy's is in Brookline. It's near the Green E line on Harvard before you get to Rte 9. If you take Harvard from my old place on Comm Ave, Coolidge Corner is about 1/2 way there.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:24 pm

You may be right D, and it was definitely pre-Chipotle, so my fast Mexican comparisons were mainly the Bell.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I had a college friend I visited for a week back in the early fall of 1998 who lived around 1700 Comm Ave, as best I can put together. Probably saw at least one of you guys.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:09 pm My mouth is watering at the thought of a burrito from a Boston restaurant.
He just got done telling you it is better than Taco Bell!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:33 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:09 pm My mouth is watering at the thought of a burrito from a Boston restaurant.
He just got done telling you it is better than Taco Bell!
You should try pizza from Boston then (Regina and other North End spots excepted).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

REGINA SUCKS BOTH AS A PIZZA AND AS AN OWNERSHIP GROUP!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Every other pizza slice I had in Boston was worse than what they used to serve in the lunchrooms at school. PUBLIC SCHOOL IN FLORIDA.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Otto in Harvard Square was passable.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ate a million slices at cafe aventura. Lived there a long time and couldn't even point to where you're talking within 10 blocks. Only thing I remember front hat part of town is some girl in a tshirt and panties getting on the green line with no shoes.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:15 pm
Funny, I miss the food in Boston a lot more than I thought I would. I could really go for a slice from Ernesto's

That's the worst-looking slice of pizza I've ever seen.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

It's a Big Mac pizza IIRC. It may not photograph well, but it's delicious, I got the buffalo chicken and caprese usually.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

"It's a Big Mac pizza!" only makes it sound worse.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Leaves on pizza = bad
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:18 am "It's a Big Mac pizza!" only makes it sound worse.
I'd try it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

For gods sake fat man. That pizza has lettuce! Get a hold of yourself.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pizza snobs are the worst.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Arugula on pizza is wonderful if done right. Lettuce seems very stupid.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:39 am Arugula on pizza is wonderful if done right. Lettuce seems very stupid.
100%
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:51 am
mister d wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:39 am Arugula on pizza is wonderful if done right. Lettuce seems very stupid.
100%
Dough from 00 flour, wood fired brick oven, maybe a little prosciut...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Mmmmm...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:51 pm

Funny, I initially saw it on my phone, but seeing it now blown up on my computer screen, it made me gag. American cheese on pizza is disgusting. The second slice looks good. Basil on pizza is great, lettuce, yeah, that's stupid. Boston is, or at least was, a great food city, but I really don't recall ever eating good pizza there. I'm sure I must have at some point. Definitely had some horrible pizza. Actually, a place right by Cheddah's apartment had the absolute worst pizza and always had long lines after the bars closed. I think they had a special, like $2 for a slice and a drink or something. It was so bad, it wasn't even tempting on my drunkest nights. I think they went out of business after my first year, but I can't remember that far back.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:34 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:51 pm

Funny, I initially saw it on my phone, but seeing it now blown up on my computer screen, it made me gag. American cheese on pizza is disgusting. The second slice looks good. Basil on pizza is great, lettuce, yeah, that's stupid. Boston is, or at least was, a great food city, but I really don't recall ever eating good pizza there. I'm sure I must have at some point. Definitely had some horrible pizza. Actually, a place right by Cheddah's apartment had the absolute worst pizza and always had long lines after the bars closed. I think they had a special, like $2 for a slice and a drink or something. It was so bad, it wasn't even tempting on my drunkest nights. I think they went out of business after my first year, but I can't remember that far back.
That place was so fucking bad.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:07 am It's a Big Mac pizza IIRC. It may not photograph well, but it's delicious
Oh god, so those aren't diced green peppers, but they're pickles? Now I'm actually angry at that slice.

(yes, the next picture looks good)
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I think I had the Big Mac once...and yes it's not that good. Picked the photo on my phone so it looked ok, and yes on a monitor it does not.

I miss the non-Big Mac pizza and the Indian choices in Central Sq. There was also an Afgani/Pakistani and a Tibetan restaurant that were very good in and around Teele that are missed. I really didn't spend that much time over around Northeastern/BU, only for my meetings and we always went to Chipotle for lunch.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That Big Mac pizza sounds like an abomination. A pizza with Pickles? Lettuce? "Special Sauce"? Yuck.

But, on the other hand - different strokes for different folks.

The next-door neighbors are Indian/Indonesian. In 2019, we went to a Diwali party at their house. Tons of great Indian food, and also some pizza for the kids that they ordered from a local Indian pizzeria. (Wasn't bad - imagine Indian curry and mozzarella on top of a pizza crust.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:17 pm That Big Mac pizza sounds like an abomination. A pizza with Pickles? Lettuce? "Special Sauce"? Yuck.

But, on the other hand - different strokes for different folks.

The next-door neighbors are Indian/Indonesian. In 2019, we went to a Diwali party at their house. Tons of great Indian food, and also some pizza for the kids that they ordered from a local Indian pizzeria. (Wasn't bad - imagine Indian curry and mozzarella on top of a pizza crust.
I'd try that. And they have a location 1 mile from my company HQ. If I ever make it out there again, I'll try it. Is the crust similar to naan? If so, that'd be really good. Or, you could just get an Indian dish and scoop it up with some naan.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

There was a good Indian pizza place out in Bellevue. Oddly enough, it was named CanAm pizza. Not sure how the Italian/Indian combo falls under Canadian/American, but whatever. Butter chicken pizza is tasty.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We are having butter chicken for dinner tonight.

/tangent.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.