Defector.com

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Defector.com

Post by tennbengal »

Oooo...60 +1s, a new high for me. Gonna go out of the office like Costanza shortly.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:26 pm Oooo...60 +1s, a new high for me. Gonna go out of the office like Costanza shortly.
That episode ("The Burning") is my favorite episode of any sitcom ever and it is on Comedy Central this afternoon. I can quote it front to back and probably even if they did it like that India episode.

George: I knew I had hit my high note so I thanked the crowd and I was gone.
Jerry: What did you do the rest of the day?
George: I saw "Titanic". So that old woman, she's just a liar, right?
Jerry: And a bit of a tramp if you ask me.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:26 pm Oooo...60 +1s, a new high for me. Gonna go out of the office like Costanza shortly.
Which article? I usually peruse a few comments to see if any swamper names show up but haven't seen this one.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:49 pm
That episode ("The Burning") is my favorite episode of any sitcom ever and it is on Comedy Central this afternoon. I can quote it front to back and probably even if they did it like that India episode.

ON NOW!!!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:56 pm
Which article? I usually peruse a few comments to see if any swamper names show up but haven't seen this one.
The Michigan cheating one this AM
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:01 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:49 pm

ON NOW!!!
The simulation is real!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:14 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:56 pm
The Michigan cheating one this AM
Damn, 101. That's more than the four comments I've made there, total. (Not under my usual handle.)
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Movie quotes that echo with Gen X are a good cheat on defector apparently- the guy who quoted the Harrison ford bit from Indiana jones 3 on Marcus brady with 174 +1s.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This post by Burneko got me. My kids never played on the same teams, but I have found myself wondering when the last games will come; the oldest because she's not HS-level and already in 7th grade and my youngest because she's volatile and who knows when she'll just be over it. I complain when we spend like half the year with softball 5+ days per week but its going to be a lot worse when we don't.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:26 pm This post by Burneko got me. My kids never played on the same teams, but I have found myself wondering when the last games will come; the oldest because she's not HS-level and already in 7th grade and my youngest because she's volatile and who knows when she'll just be over it. I complain when we spend like half the year with softball 5+ days per week but its going to be a lot worse when we don't.
Going into Saturday's last game of the season, we were positive it was our last soccer game. Asher seems to want to try something else and we're not going to force them to play something they don't want to. I was honestly a little emotional at the final whistle, but she told us after the game she definitely wants to play next season. Then we had our team party where we found out we finished first in 10U and now she really wants to return.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

One day this summer, I was out for a walk and happened by the park and stopped to watch a bit of a softball game that was going on among 12 or 13 year-olds. It was nostalgic and nice. But, I left after a short while - didn’t want any parents thinking I was some old perv scoping out the kids.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Cali sucks then. You'd shoulda chatted up some dad. Always allowed. Softball chants should be a thing
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oldest ended her HS XC career over the weekend and I was ok until she did her own a “so long and thanks for all the memories” post on IG.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Their annual financial report is out. They are still killing it. Revenue up to 4.5 million from 3.8 million a year ago. Love how they account for each dollar to their subscribers. Easiest renewal for me each year to support that crew.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Totally.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wonder if anyone says "so we need to be at $5.3MM, minimum, next year just to sustain this YoY growth" to see if they'll get choke-slammed through a table.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The $28 Taco Bell expense made me chuckle because I immediately understood it.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:24 am The $28 Taco Bell expense made me chuckle because I immediately understood it.
Same.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:19 am I wonder if anyone says "so we need to be at $5.3MM, minimum, next year just to sustain this YoY growth" to see if they'll get choke-slammed through a table.
Drew, because he knows they can't do that with his health and what not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The best part about Defector is that the writing is so good I can really enjoy a post about something I know and care nothing about: A Purse For Whatever Woman You Want To Be
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:26 pm This post by Burneko got me. My kids never played on the same teams, but I have found myself wondering when the last games will come; the oldest because she's not HS-level and already in 7th grade and my youngest because she's volatile and who knows when she'll just be over it. I complain when we spend like half the year with softball 5+ days per week but its going to be a lot worse when we don't.
This has been a constant thought here, and just yesterday I learned my son's competitive running days are over. He is choosing his part-time job as a waiter at a Senior Living community over HS track. He goes to the gym several days a week, but hasn't run once since X-Country ended. I knew he was taking the Winter track season off to work, as he needed to skip one sports season to keep the job for next summer. My wife was devasted, as he started running on a team when he was around 8. I'm a little sad, but I only went to about 2 track meets a year in his HS years. I went to X-Country weekend meets his Freshman year, but after that he said he didn't want us coming as "none of the other parents go." Some did, but whatever, I had Rass there to send me pics of the boy running. (Thanks, the wife and I appreciated it). My son played 3 years of rec soccer and I coached, but I didn't miss it when he said he wanted to quit. He never liked it, and I was already coaching my daughter's travel team, so it wasn't a big deal. I was thrilled when he chose running over baseball. Once he got into the age groups where kids pitched (3rd and 4th grade), he was liable to get hurt. He was unquestionably the worst kid in the league, but he loved baseball, so we were thrilled with his choice.

Watching my daughter play in a Senior Night game was emotional, seeing all the seniors walk out with their parents while the coach announced their playing career from rec to club to varsity. I'm going to be a mess walking her across the field. My daughter was obsessed with the Seniors playing in their final year and constantly talked about it, especially when it looked like they wouldn't qualify for States and their captain never played in states because she was injured during both her sophomore and junior years. When they lost in States, all the girls were bawling, as none of the seniors are playing in college. My daughter kept telling the Sophomores their HS careers are half over, which made all of them cry. I was a little sad seeing her basketball career end, but that wasn't her choice. We wouldn't let her play JV and club soccer, despite several girls doing both. Would have been a hell of a lot easier letting her practice after school every day rather than leave work early to drive her 45 minutes away and having to travel overnight for league games. When she keeps complaining about not playing basketball, I'm tempted to pull the plug on club soccer and let her play school basketball. I do miss watching basketball.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:44 pmWhen they lost in States, all the girls were bawling, as none of the seniors are playing in college.
Obviously much lower level, but saw our first instance of that after the story below. After a quick celebration, all the 8th graders on both teams were on the field together in tears because it was all of their last rec games and probably the end for more than half. Very quickly went from seeing Q as "presumably the youngest" to "quite possibly exactly two years away from the end of her career".

mister d wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:48 pm Q is presumably the youngest and definitely one of the smallest in her 6th-8th grade rec league. Semis and Finals tonight and the #2 pitcher was away and #3 was hurt so she had to pitch the 3rd, 4th and 5th against the best team in the league. Junk-balled the lineup to death, held them to 3 runs and her team came back to take the lead in the 6th and their 8th grade ace closed it out. This shit is so insanely stressful.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:46 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:44 pmWhen they lost in States, all the girls were bawling, as none of the seniors are playing in college.
Obviously much lower level, but saw our first instance of that after the story below. After a quick celebration, all the 8th graders on both teams were on the field together in tears because it was all of their last rec games and probably the end for more than half. Very quickly went from seeing Q as "presumably the youngest" to "quite possibly exactly two years away from the end of her career".

It was even tougher sitting with the senior parents. Most of the parents came to most of the games, even the away games (wonder how many came pre-COVID), so we really spent a lot of time with the parents. Since my son is a senior, we talked to the senior parents a ton about college applications and the like. All those playoff games, knowing if they lost, it was the end for the seniors magnified the stress of the games. And it's awkward sitting next to parents knowing their kids are ending their careers and it makes the whole moving out of the house next year thing seem so much more real.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

On Moving Out

My miserable sensation: Standing somewhere in the world, and realizing that I might be standing there for the last time in my life. Something about this moment of closure makes my skull ache. What I feel is equal parts panic and preemptive loss. I wish I were just talking about big life junctures here—you know, a final wistful gaze out onto the pale Mongolian steppe, a last glance into the home of an estranged lover. In practice I am talking about, like, checking out of a Best Western. Just leaving a hotel room, I'll dawdle, run a second and third sweep of the premises, not only to ensure that I haven't abandoned a stray sock, but also to try and capture some mental snapshot of what it was like to be alive here—even if being alive here mostly involved forking slop out of takeout containers or falling asleep as Jalen Green went 2-of-12 from the field or fiddling fruitlessly with the thermostat.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:55 pm On Moving Out

My miserable sensation: Standing somewhere in the world, and realizing that I might be standing there for the last time in my life. Something about this moment of closure makes my skull ache. What I feel is equal parts panic and preemptive loss. I wish I were just talking about big life junctures here—you know, a final wistful gaze out onto the pale Mongolian steppe, a last glance into the home of an estranged lover. In practice I am talking about, like, checking out of a Best Western. Just leaving a hotel room, I'll dawdle, run a second and third sweep of the premises, not only to ensure that I haven't abandoned a stray sock, but also to try and capture some mental snapshot of what it was like to be alive here—even if being alive here mostly involved forking slop out of takeout containers or falling asleep as Jalen Green went 2-of-12 from the field or fiddling fruitlessly with the thermostat.
That last line was clearly trying to avoid saying "jerking off," right?
-Pruitt