Friday Sartorial Discusssion - Shoes

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Do you have this shoe or something very similar?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:08 pm

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes: 18

rass
The Dude

Re: Friday Sartorial Discusssion - Shoes

Post by rass »

Manchin and Sinema painting each other's toes and gossiping
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I get that fashion is individual tastes but that guy looks fine. Id say the shoes go well with the socks and suit. The view of the underside of the shoe isnt great but even then, theyre clean and the white matches the shirt. Guy is perfectly well dressed. Now why you would do that at Davos is a different matter but as for the look its more than acceptable. Besides, you cant even see the shoes in that picture.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Team L-Jam3 here. No sneakers with suits, no white soled quasi dress quasi sneakers either.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:08 am Team L-Jam3 here. No sneakers with suits, no white soled quasi dress quasi sneakers either.
100% agree unless you are a 20 something 110 lb fashion model wearing suit pants that show off your ankles...and even then I think expensive dress loafers are the right way to go.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Big discussion in our house about a month ago. My son asked my parents for dress shoes for Hanukkah and I didn't check his list. He opened the box and they looked like the style my father wore in the mid-1980s. Somewhat similar to the picture below. I told him he chose old man shoes from the 80s and he should get something more modern and youthful. He told my wife his friends all wear sneakers with suits/dress pants, and judging from awards ceremonies and honor society events, half either wear sneakers or the brown dressier sneakers with white soles similar to the style that started this thread. It made me realize I have no idea what's in style these days, as I've been almost exclusively working from home for 7 years. I realize my brown dress shoes are at least 7 years old and my black ones are probably older. Looking at websites and I took him to the Men's Wearhouse for a suit, and I'm seeing the wingtip fancy scroll-work shoes seem to be in style again. Who knew? My wife insisted he needed black shoes, because she is convinced you can't wear brown with a suit. My mom mentioned (they still watch late night shows) she noticed lots of celebrities wearing brown shoes with suits. She refused to believe it. He also got the same Jordan's Bronto suggested upthread, so maybe he isn't as clueless as I thought? Speaking of old styles coming back (or maybe leaving), my daughter go Chuck Taylor All Stars.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My kids love chucks.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:12 am My kids love chucks.
I love Chucks. And really wish they'd quit fucking around with what colors they sell and when. I've got a really worn out pair of baby blue low tops that need replacing, but I don't think they're in season.

ETA - just checked and their current seasonal color "Lunar Gray" isn't far off. Might just grab those.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I pretty much exclusively wear Vans now.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:19 am I pretty much exclusively wear Vans now.
Wearing my green Vans Ultra Range EXO right now. Looks like that colorway isn't available anymore either.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:02 am Manchin and Sinema painting each other's toes and gossiping
That’s hot
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I used to wear a lot of chucks or purcells but either they're getting more narrow, my feet are getting wider or my tolerance for discomfort is even lower than before. Either way, I'm out. (Ched, as of ~3 years ago you could do your own custom colors for not all that much more than the standards at full price.) My kid (11) got her first pair of Jordans for christmas along with like half her crew. Black, baby blue and white so she has good taste. Also has a pair of chucks to vary it up. And brown shoes with suits, esp blue, has been in for a while now, right? As long as you're not combining concepts and wearing brown casual sneakers I think you're good.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Did brown shoes with a grey suit the last time we were invited to a wedding (late 2021) and thought I looked sharp. Actually passed it by the clerk at the shop where I bought the suit because my wife told me I had to wear black shoes.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:39 pm Did brown shoes with a grey suit the last time we were invited to a wedding (late 2021) and thought I looked sharp. Actually passed it by the clerk at the shop where I bought the suit because my wife told me I had to wear black shoes.
I had to point out to my wife that I wore brown shoes with a grey suit at the wedding we attended last Summer. I did ask about brown shoes at Men's Wearhouse and he told me it's common now to wear brown shoes with grey, but they go best with Navy.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:49 am Maybe I’m a fogie but if you’re going to wear a suit, i.e. two pieces from the same cloth, wear a pair of dress shoes that cost at least half as much as the suit like a goddamn adult.
Agreed.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I have a hard time finding sneakers that fit well, are comfortable, and don’t pinch the sides of my toes. For that reason I often wear a comfy, ancient pair of Brooks Glycerine 11s. But, they are worn out and my wife tells me I look like I’m homeless when I wear them, so I need an alternative.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've moved into Brooks full time as well because of the wide sizes. Ghosts, if you're looking to be sneaker twins.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:28 pm I've moved into Brooks full time as well because of the wide sizes. Ghosts, if you're looking to be sneaker twins.
Since I started really running again in 2019, I've only worn Ghosts. I don't need the wide, but they just feel right.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I really dig Brooks running shoes, even though I haven't had a pair in the rotation for a while. Did a demo run this summer in a pair and was reminded just how light, but also responsive, they were. The last pair of Brooks runners I had was before I let the local running store do a proper shoe sizing. They let me know I'd been wearing shoes that were at least one full size too small. I really was married to that 9.5 size for years. Now I'm usually a 10.5, but have gone anywhere from 10-11, depending on the pair.

Which brings me to Chucks. Once I went up in size with them they became much more of a viable option for me. I'd liked the style, but always felt crammed into them. Maybe try going up in size, Mr. D?

There's nothing wrong with brown shoes and a suit of nearly any color except black. I think once you get too light with it, and your brown shoe is actually tan, it can be a bit jarring, but not nearly as much a sneakers or quasi sneakers.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

All that being said, wear whatever you want with your suits. What I like and what is now in, or what you like don't have to be the same thing. I'm really just giving my thoughts on how I dress myself, not how you should dress yourself.

I'm also glad this isn't a live camera medium because ever since the pandemic, your boy takes every opportunity to dress as comfortably as he can at the office.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The daughter who runs track has Brooks Ghosts right now. She likes them.

I've been a Hoka guy since my foot issues at the end of 2021 (as documented in the exercise/eat well thread), and because I ended up with orthotics out of that whole deal and barely ever do anything that requires formal dress I rarely wear any other shoes (slides don't count). I'm scared to wear shoes for an extended period of time without the inserts.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Just don't go black belt and brown shoes..brown shoes and brown belt.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:51 pmWhich brings me to Chucks. Once I went up in size with them they became much more of a viable option for me. I'd liked the style, but always felt crammed into them. Maybe try going up in size, Mr. D?
That's what I used to do but it just wasn't working for me anymore, possibly because I stopped wearing any shoes that weren't comfortable for several years. Like chucks were my casual work shoe when not wearing wide boots, but then I stopped going to work so I stopped wearing anything that wasn't explicitly wide, including slippers. I'm a dad, I can just move on and be ok with it.

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:51 pmI really was married to that 9.5 size for years. Now I'm usually a 10.5, but have gone anywhere from 10-11, depending on the pair.
Bet the wife is happy about this one ; P
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:26 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:51 pmWhich brings me to Chucks. Once I went up in size with them they became much more of a viable option for me. I'd liked the style, but always felt crammed into them. Maybe try going up in size, Mr. D?
That's what I used to do but it just wasn't working for me anymore, possibly because I stopped wearing any shoes that weren't comfortable for several years. Like chucks were my casual work shoe when not wearing wide boots, but then I stopped going to work so I stopped wearing anything that wasn't explicitly wide, including slippers. I'm a dad, I can just move on and be ok with it.

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:51 pmI really was married to that 9.5 size for years. Now I'm usually a 10.5, but have gone anywhere from 10-11, depending on the pair.
Bet the wife is happy about this one ; P
I'm not married to Rex Ryan.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I was referring to your penis recently getting bigger due to the mythical correlation to foot size.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I went to get a new pair of everday sneakers. Went into Academy Sports. Tried on several but for one reason or another didn't like them (I was looking for the sock style pull on sneaker). Wife was seatching for me as well and brought me a pair, I tried them on and they felt really good. They're the store brand. I'm that guy. I'm old man buying cheap shoes guy (I just bought a $170 pair of boots and my good sneakers are more than that[somebucks are agressively white and can't wear them in all weather]) but no matter. I'm "buy the cheap shit" guy now.

I hate it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

As long as they make your feet feel fine...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:39 am As long as they make your feet feel fine...
I'm sure I'm missing a joke, but they do! They clearly aren't as good as my Adidas comfort-wise but I tried on Under Armour (rock hard soles), Nike (Nike's just don't fit me very well anymore) and some Asics (heel was wrong for me). These were thirty dollars! I can afford to replace them every so often.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Anyone else get hit with the Bobos song growing up? Kids are so cruel.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:10 pm Just don't go black belt and brown shoes..brown shoes and brown belt.
This is something I've come around on a bit. With a suit, absolutely you should match. But I've been told my brown boots (Ariat Ramblers..kind of a chukka but probably a bit higher than most standard chukkas) work fine with black belt in casual settings. Toss the cowboy hat on, and boom, the lady swoons.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

rass wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:45 am Anyone else get hit with the Bobos song growing up? Kids are so cruel.
Buddies
They make your feet feel fine
Buddies
They cost a $1.99
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:52 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:10 pm Just don't go black belt and brown shoes..brown shoes and brown belt.
This is something I've come around on a bit. With a suit, absolutely you should match. But I've been told my brown boots (Ariat Ramblers..kind of a chukka but probably a bit higher than most standard chukkas) work fine with black belt in casual settings. Toss the cowboy hat on, and boom, the lady swoons.
The fuck is wrong with you people? There are literally only three colors that you can't wear black with, and brown is one of them.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I don't care who signs off, that's just not a mix I'm working with.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Just go buy a brown belt, AB.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:22 am
The fuck is wrong with you people? There are literally only three colors that you can't wear black with, and brown is one of them.
And the other two? Want to make sure I'm not making a gaffe...
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:28 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:22 am
And the other two? Want to make sure I'm not making a gaffe...
Any shade of blue darker than royal, and the entirety of purple. The Ravens purple jerseys on black pants combo is maybe the most egregious standard color combo in sports. I'd argue the mustard pants are a better look.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I wear my brown belt 99% of the time with the boots. Just saying it's possible.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My kids wear mismatched socks most days too, AB.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:04 pm My kids wear mismatched socks most days too, AB.
Is that a thing, because my daughter has been doing that for years. Drove me nuts doing her laundry as there were rarely matching socks. She had packs that came in multiple colors, always wore the same style but a different color on each foot. Most of the brands, it wasn't visible under the shoe. Now it's longer Nike socks pulled up over the outside of leggings. They are all doing it, and it looks so stupid.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's a thing. My daughter did/does that, especially with stuff like Bonobos or other funky/stylish socks. (for her, i'm sure others do it with solid colors too.)

Totally random aside, one of the top high school soccer teams in MD used to do that (they might still, who knows) and I thought it was a baller move. Basically, "go ahead and talk shit about our socks, we're about to kick your ass on the field." Solid, if weird, uniform flex.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think its more effortlessly lazy than effortlessly cool because I've noticed that when my older does the high socks look, those always match.