The Official Mayor Pete/Dept of Transportation thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: The Official Mayor Pete/Dept of Transportation thread

Post by Johnnie »

I had to stop following Sirota on Twitter because he's an insufferable dude who's got an axe to grind with mainstream Democrats. Everything he posted was all about how the sky is constantly falling all the time and it became too much. He's like a male Louise Mensch. His take is in lockstep with Fox News right now.

I asked my cousin, who's a pilot, about what went down and he told me that Southwest's scheduling system that tracks crew rest and pilot availability completely crashed because it was old and needed a long overdue upgrade. It was bound to happen. Since the company has no idea who was available to fly, from where, and when, it forced the company to ground everything and reset crew rest.

So, since Pete is the current person, the responsibility falls to him to fix, but this goes back well before he took the seat. It's a bipartisan issue. The reason we're here is because of government inaction and CEOs doing CEO things under capitalism. All that bailout money went nowhere in making things better.

That being said, Pete got that job by falling 100% in lockstep with the Democratic party. How do you go from mayor of South Bend, IN to Transportation secretary without any positions in between otherwise? Everything about him gives you the vibe he was built in a lab to be a politician from the jump. Rhodes Scholar, Notre Dame grad, Harvard grad, speaks 7 languages, McKinsey ties...etc. He's the high IQ kid that got to skip high school, graduate college on an accelerated track, and now he's being a genius in genius circles. For Pete, he's being teed up for the presidency.

But none of that has anything to do with Southwest being complete shitheels.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Blaming the Secretary of Transportation for the software failures of a private company is some definite galaxy brain thinking. If the government does force a company like Southwest to invest $2-4 billion in new software the Right would have a conniption fit. If they don’t the Right gets to have a conniption fit. Quite convenient.

The free market is working here and Southwest is taking it in the ass.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

seriously, what, exactly, is the transportation secretary supposed to actually do to head off Southwest's incompetence? That's dumb.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:08 pm I had to stop following Sirota on Twitter because he's an insufferable dude who's got an axe to grind with mainstream Democrats.
Wait, you unfollowed someone because of that?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Couple things that come to mind…Even outdated software systems can have capable backups running on another server. At worst they would’ve lost a day’s worth of data after a 30 minute migration from the backup server to restore the live software.

And what are Southwest’s disaster recovery protocols? If your fleet is freakin grounded, request assistance from other airlines to get lost luggage back to their rightful owners.

My guess is the big players have this language in their disaster recovery plans.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:03 pm
Johnnie wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:08 pm I had to stop following Sirota on Twitter because he's an insufferable dude who's got an axe to grind with mainstream Democrats.
Wait, you unfollowed someone because of that?
Yes. If his takes actually got anywhere with the doom and gloom bullshit he preaches then maybe I'd still follow him.

Otherwise he's an unbelievable hack who's just screeching all the time with no redeemable qualities in a Twitter follow.

All I follow Vaush, Hasan, Shoe0nHead, Kyle Kulinski, Dave Doel, Mike Figueredo and other lefties on Twitter. Sirota sucks. He's like Olberman who can't put the biscuit in the basket.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:10 pm Couple things that come to mind…Even outdated software systems can have capable backups running on another server. At worst they would’ve lost a day’s worth of data after a 30 minute migration from the backup server to restore the live software.

And what are Southwest’s disaster recovery protocols? If your fleet is freakin grounded, request assistance from other airlines to get lost luggage back to their rightful owners.

My guess is the big players have this language in their disaster recovery plans.
These are great questions that I'm sure an investigation will answer.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:45 pm seriously, what, exactly, is the transportation secretary supposed to actually do to head off Southwest's incompetence? That's dumb.
Make the punishment for an incident like this so punitive that a company would rather preemptively invest in infrastructure rather than give out a half billion dollars in stock dividends?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:52 pm
tennbengal wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:45 pm seriously, what, exactly, is the transportation secretary supposed to actually do to head off Southwest's incompetence? That's dumb.
Make the punishment for an incident like this so punitive that a company would rather preemptively invest in infrastructure rather than give out a half billion dollars in stock dividends?
how would that have headed off what just happened (since that was Sirota's complaint)? And, while we are here, is THAT remotely within that position's power? the answer is...no?, right?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

From what I’ve learned during endless research (reading Twitter this week), imposing fines for airline failures is within the secretary’s control and has historical precedent for succeeding.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:10 pm Couple things that come to mind…Even outdated software systems can have capable backups running on another server. At worst they would’ve lost a day’s worth of data after a 30 minute migration from the backup server to restore the live software.

It wasn’t so much that the software “crashed”. It just wasn’t able to handle the complexities of the situation. All the backups in the world wouldn’t have helped.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:42 am

It wasn’t so much that the software “crashed”. It just wasn’t able to handle the complexities of the situation. All the backups in the world wouldn’t have helped.
Now this has piqued my interest, cuz variable #s of airport closings and weather delays should not add complexity for software designed specifically for that. Cuz otherwise this would’ve happened in the past. This was more a case of the processes in place not being able to handle the volume, which emphasized the cracks in the system. The fact you need to call pilots and crew to locate their whereabouts is asinine in 2022. I mean, if I can drop an Apple Airtag in my bag and be able to track it anywhere on the planet? And the phone-only primary mechanism to reschedule flights. Good grief.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Having worked logistics for the Air Force for the time I did, it gives a serious misperception into what the capabilities inside and outside of the service are when the rest of the world innovates at a rapid pace.

You'd think a highly integrated system exists because it does for Amazon/Walmart/other organizations. But no. It really doesn't. Then add classified data and the person him/herself working in that arena becomes 'the system.' It's extremely stressful to know all the rules and have immediate recall when asked questions by higher ups.

Since the AF organization at large has no profit motive, you keep doing what you've always done because you can use what's there and throw manhour after manhour at it to make it work. There's no incentive to get better. In a sense, it make sense.

But ...for an organization like Southwest never upgrading their systems and kind of doing the same though? I don't get it. The common denominator seems to be greed due to a lack of oversight. All that bailout money doesn't go towards innovating something new for infrastructure and continuous upkeep of it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I read a big part of the issue was that they don't run through hubs as much as other airlines and do a lot more midsized city to midsized city routes so there were pilots stranded and without the same route swapping options.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:52 pm I read a big part of the issue was that they don't run through hubs as much as other airlines and do a lot more midsized city to midsized city routes so there were pilots stranded and without the same route swapping options.
It’s their business model (point to point, vs hub & spoke). Their information systems (business processes and workflows) are apparently woefully inadequate for their type of model. Hilariously so, unfortunately.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:59 am But ...for an organization like Southwest never upgrading their systems and kind of doing the same though?
They're fucking cheap. That's their entire biz model.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

P.D.X. wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:28 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:59 am But ...for an organization like Southwest never upgrading their systems and kind of doing the same though?
In recent years that been their perception. Everytime I go to check prices of flights I've avoided them. They're actually quite expensive now. If it weren't for the fact that my wife has a Southwest credit card we probably wouldn't fly them at all.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:53 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:28 pm
In recent years that been their perception. Everytime I go to check prices of flights I've avoided them. They're actually quite expensive now. If it weren't for the fact that my wife has a Southwest credit card we probably wouldn't fly them at all.
I could've written this verbatim.

For the last probably 2-3 years, they have been riding on their reputation, but the reality is that they are often not even close to the cheapest option (and I'm not including Frontier or Spirit, which we don't even consider.)

The CC/points keeps us in the mix with them. We flew out to Denver earlier this month on points.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I meant 'cheap' in terms of the quality if the product, not the consumer price.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

P.D.X. wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:18 pm I meant 'cheap' in terms of the quality if the product, not the consumer price.
Ohhhh. Gotcha. Yes then. I agree.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

See, I love when he does this shit:

Edit: This temperament is always fascinating to me. If this was me, just add Bill Burr/Massachusetts to it:

"Look, dude. I'm fahkin' married and representing America on a trip overseas supporting the same fahkin' troops Fox News allegedly supports. Every other person before me brought their fahkin' spouse along to do the same damn thing. So why am I catching shit for doing the same? Just say out loud what you're too pussy to say. I'd respect you more."

I don't think I could take enough public affairs boot camp/therapy to get me that level.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Johnnie, have you ever thought of running for public office? You’re certainly plugged in, and I would bet there would be at least some appreciation of your blunt attitude. If John Kennedy, a Rhodes fucking Scholar, could conceivably fake himself as a Bayou Bumpkin and get monetary support, I would think your views in the genuine manner you present them would be able to garner some support at least on a local level.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:17 pm Johnnie, have you ever thought of running for public office? You’re certainly plugged in, and I would bet there would be at least some appreciation of your blunt attitude. If John Kennedy, a Rhodes fucking Scholar, could conceivably fake himself as a Bayou Bumpkin and get monetary support, I would think your views in the genuine manner you present them would be able to garner some support at least on a local level.
Awww. Thanks, man.

Yes, as a thought experiment. But I just don't have the couth or energy. Not sure if we've met in person, but man do I rant like I'm Denis Leary or George Carlin. And I get fucking mad when I do.

That does not lend to well to public service because I'm easily 'triggered'. Shit, at work I'd flip my shit because some Captain or Major wants a privilege and when a simple 'No' doesn't work for a second or third time, I'd go all in. I get that from my upbringing.

Plus, my mom did political stuff on a city level when I was growing up and obviously I had to do stuff for her campaign. The broken windows, slashed tires, ruthless rumors, and general ick of it all soured me on politics and The Show of it. Plus the knocking doors, holding signs, flyer drops, and constant 'making yourself seen' aspect seems like something that will take a lot of energy.

While it would be cool to tell Juan Ciscomani he's a douche Trump lover, I just couldn't do it because I'll have a target on myself. My wife doesn't need that.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:17 pm Johnnie, have you ever thought of running for public office? You’re certainly plugged in, and I would bet there would be at least some appreciation of your blunt attitude. If John Kennedy, a Rhodes fucking Scholar, could conceivably fake himself as a Bayou Bumpkin and get monetary support, I would think your views in the genuine manner you present them would be able to garner some support at least on a local level.
See, I read Johnnie's post and came away thinking how amazing it would be to put Bill Burr in public office and set him loose at media interviews. Make Burr the WH Press Secretary for a week. It'd be glorious!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:26 pm
See, I read Johnnie's post and came away thinking how amazing it would be to put Bill Burr in public office and set him loose at media interviews. Make Burr the WH Press Secretary for a week. It'd be glorious!
Every interaction I would have with the media would be a roast of the opposition party.

Every time. I'd be relentless in my offense and bring up their dirt in every forum I could.

I'd probably end up looking hysterical and get removed from committees and then get primaried the next cycle.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:32 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:26 pm
Every interaction I would have with the media would be a roast of the opposition party.

Every time. I'd be relentless in my offense and bring up their dirt in every forum I could.

I'd probably end up looking hysterical and get removed from committees and then get primaried the next cycle.
It would be pretty fun, no?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:35 pmIt would be pretty fun, no?
Probably yes. $174k a year to be an awesome meme for the American people? Sounds awesome.

But it's the unknown unknowns that I worry about.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

P.D.X. wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:18 pm I meant 'cheap' in terms of the quality if the product, not the consumer price.
I don't really see how they are "cheap" in that sense. I fly Jet Blue, Delta and United... But mostly Southwest. If you pay attention and get your boarding pass in the A or B, you are pretty much going to get the type of seat you want. I actually prefer the way they line folks up to the annoying way others call you up by section and mouthbreathers get in the way long before it's their turn.

They have a nice array of live TV and free movies to choose from. I don't expect a meal on any flight anymore, so that's not really a thing for me.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:37 pm
Probably yes. $174k a year to be an awesome meme for the American people? Sounds awesome.

It's a pain in the fucking ass. Maybe if you just said fuck it and didn't care about getting re-elected. Maybe. Because the amount of time a Rep spends fundraising is depressing as fuck. And the amount of ass kissing you have to do, on so many levels (just within the party apparatus, beyond fundraising.)

To make the job "fun" you have to stick around for at least 3 terms so you can move up on committees and have any kind of real impact. One of the reasons AOC had a target on her back within the party was how much juice she had coming in as a freshman. A lot of jealousy at play there.

It's REALLY hard to even get a sniff during the primaries unless 1) you have a shit load of money or b) you have some type of celebrity status. You have to pay your dues and kiss a lot of ass otherwise.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yea, I'm just not doing that. Sounds like you need to be a certain personality to do that. I'd get very mad very quickly. I'll just work at Raytheon.

And who knows? Maybe I'll get tapped as the SecDef eventually.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:43 pm
Johnnie wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:37 pm

It's a pain in the fucking ass. Maybe if you just said fuck it and didn't care about getting re-elected. Maybe. Because the amount of time a Rep spends fundraising is depressing as fuck. And the amount of ass kissing you have to do, on so many levels (just within the party apparatus, beyond fundraising.)

To make the job "fun" you have to stick around for at least 3 terms so you can move up on committees and have any kind of real impact. One of the reasons AOC had a target on her back within the party was how much juice she had coming in as a freshman. A lot of jealousy at play there.

It's REALLY hard to even get a sniff during the primaries unless 1) you have a shit load of money or b) you have some type of celebrity status. You have to pay your dues and kiss a lot of ass otherwise.
This is my take. And unless you are independently wealthy, I don't see how Reps can afford to rent a second apartment in DC. Seems weird to me that they have to foot that expense on their own. Also makes them ripe for bribery.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:49 pm Yea, I'm just not doing that. Sounds like you need to be a certain personality to do that. I'd get very mad very quickly. I'll just work at Raytheon.

And who knows? Maybe I'll get tapped as the SecDef eventually.
Not sure how that corporate resume -> secretary appointment jump would work given its the same basic industry. Maybe agriculture ; )
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

now here's something the DOT has control over to ensure never happens!
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:39 am now here's something the DOT has control over to ensure never happens!
Was going to say this is the equivalent of just posting "holy shit!" in a sports thread but as I was typing it I heard a news break on the radio.

Holy shit!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Gee golly willikers!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:51 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:39 am now here's something the DOT has control over to ensure never happens!
Was going to say this is the equivalent of just posting "holy shit!" in a sports thread but as I was typing it I heard a news break on the radio.

Holy shit!
wow, radio in the morning and the swamp as your 11 p.m. news at night

a renaissance man!
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The South Bend Senior Lunch Bus had a flat tire once so everyone on here better fucking relax
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Ryan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:54 am The South Bend Senior Lunch Bus had a flat tire once so everyone on here better fucking relax
South Bend can't even afford school busses. Fuck those seniors. They can get their jello elsewhere.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:26 am
Ryan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:54 am The South Bend Senior Lunch Bus had a flat tire once so everyone on here better fucking relax
South Bend can't even afford school busses. Fuck those seniors. They can get their jello elsewhere.
They could before Pete was Mayor.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wonder if he's practicing saying "Yes we can" in the mirror over and over right now.