The Official Mayor Pete/Dept of Transportation thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: The Official Mayor Pete/Dept of Transportation thread

Post by mister d »

I just heard a plane. Pete fixed it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:28 am
rass wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:51 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:39 am now here's something the DOT has control over to ensure never happens!
Was going to say this is the equivalent of just posting "holy shit!" in a sports thread but as I was typing it I heard a news break on the radio.

Holy shit!
wow, radio in the morning and the swamp as your 11 p.m. news at night

a renaissance man!
Technically just watching live network TV, not the actual 11PM news. Good/bad enough!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

do you have to get up to turn the dial to change the channel too?

(I watch local morning news. I am an old)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is your local news KC or is it like local local?

(Its weird either way, just curious how much like my mom you are.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I'm confused by the question. I live directly in a major market, if that helps
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That was the question. The local news where I grew up was still NYC unless you watched LOCAL local which was the really weird shit. Where my wife grew up its somewhere in the middle where Wilkes Barre is the metro but the news still looks closer to a HS project than Channel 4 with Sue Simmons & Chuck Scarborough.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:41 am That was the question. The local news where I grew up was still NYC unless you watched LOCAL local which was the really weird shit. Where my wife grew up its somewhere in the middle where Wilkes Barre is the metro but the news still looks closer to a HS project than Channel 4 with Sue Simmons & Chuck Scarborough.
Perfect description. Growing up, we had Binghamton local, but Fox showed NYC local news. We were a CBS local family, but IIRC, Fox aired local at the normal time and NYC local either just before or after the local. Not 100% on that one. And evening news was NYC at 11:00 on Fox.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

to my knowledge we don't have any hyperlocal programming that's on broadcast, but the news that I watch I also probably watch differently than most people anyway given my job
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

When I was living in the other corner of the state, not only did we get the major Boston networks and WMUR out of Manchester but also WNNE, which was like White River Jct VT and hoo boy even under mid-to-late-80s standards that was some backwater shit.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

To this day some of those small-market TV stations are hilarious operations. We have a lot of them as customers at my new job and my old job.

I'll never forget one time I was on a support call a few years ago with someone dealing with a technical issue about their content management system and then the guy says "OK, thanks for your help but I have to wrap this up and go do the 12 o'clock news". I managed to get out something like "You what?" and he said "I'm the anchorman for the morning and afternoon news as well as managing our systems."

Got a good chuckle out of that one.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Growing up in central DE we always had Philly for the big 3 networks, but depending on the cable provider might at any given time have a Baltimore or Salisbury, MD network.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Going to college in San Marcos, we would get the network stations for both San Antonio and Austin. Which was helpful whenever I missed an episode of Young & the Restless!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:41 amthe news still looks closer to a HS project than Channel 4 with Sue Simmons & Chuck Scarborough.
That’s also the way it was in my hometown, back in the day. (Don’t know, nowadays.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian