2021 NFL Black Sunday Night, Etc.

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: 2021 NFL Black Sunday Night, Etc.

Post by Brontoburglar »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:19 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:08 pm the counterpoint is that BB or Andy Reid have never done it and there's probably a reason why
I meant more along the lines of having a rookie RB run reps with the receivers, but yes, I agree it’s certainly not conventional.
and seemingly nonsensical. ETN isn't going to become an NFL-caliber wide receiver out of one offseason -- while taking away from him learning a new offense as your first-round running back. and if he did have the potential to be an NFL-caliber wide receiver, the second-best program in college football would have probably put him there at times. they didn't.

ETN is a very good receiver for a running back -- and can be a weapon in that area. but I don't understand why you would even seriously consider this to the point of even trying it in his first minicamp, but ... Jaguars.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Meyer after drafting Etienne:
"I see Carlos (Hyde) and James (Robinson) the 1-2, downhill, powerful running backs," Meyer said. "And I see Travis -- there's times where we could be in two-backs and Travis is a guy that goes out. Or we're still playing with it, but he's certainly a third-down back and he's a guy that's a matchup issue for the defense."
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Dont see anything wrong with that He just needs to prove to everyone that he's not the freshman that dominated with quicks but can handle NFL contact between the tackles and pass protection responsibilities. Meyer already knows and a quality third down back is almost a necessity.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:26 pm Dont see anything wrong with that He just needs to prove to everyone that he's not the freshman that dominated with quicks but can handle NFL contact between the tackles and pass protection responsibilities. Meyer already knows and a quality third down back is almost a necessity.
You don't draft "third down back" in the first round, Citgo.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

That would be correct. But he has no say over that.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Pretty sure most had coaches have some day over picks even if it isn't final day. I will admit I don't know the situation in Jax in regards to player personnel.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

any point about ETN touting his freshman season as his best is immediately disqualified even before the other equally other absurd parts. just say you didn't watch him in college and move on.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

But most importantly, FUCK URBAN MEYER.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

duff wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:15 pm Pretty sure most had coaches have some day over picks even if it isn't final day. I will admit I don't know the situation in Jax in regards to player personnel.
I cannot imagine they would hire Urban Meyer and pay him an obscene amount of money (he wanted $12 mill/season) to essentially rebuild from scratch and not allow him input on who is drafted in the first round.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Logical but coaches have made a bunch of money in the NFL and had that issue since forever.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:57 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:34 pm At least Urban is giving us some good, solid laughs during what will be a very short tenure in the NFL.

Didn't they once try Matt Jones at Tight End?
They had him as a WR mainly as far as I can remember. His issue was off-field stuff mostly - that guy was one of the best athletes to ever play in the NFL.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:57 pm Allow me to play Devil’s Advocate for a moment.

Running Back, while it takes tremendous athletic skill to do well, isn’t a particularly difficult position to lean the ins and outs of. Rookies come in every year and kick ass. Receiver, instead, is complex to learn. Learning that position could give Etienne some added value. While hardly any RB outside of Adrian Peterson should’ve been drafted in Round 1 in the last 15 years or so, turning Etienne into a poor-man’s LeVeon could pay dividends.

If Belichick was doing this, I think it’d have a much different view.

I don't think it's a learning thing so much as you need skills that aren't necessarily required to dominate in college. Etienne however I don't believe has those skills.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:09 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:57 pm Allow me to play Devil’s Advocate for a moment.

Running Back, while it takes tremendous athletic skill to do well, isn’t a particularly difficult position to lean the ins and outs of. Rookies come in every year and kick ass. Receiver, instead, is complex to learn. Learning that position could give Etienne some added value. While hardly any RB outside of Adrian Peterson should’ve been drafted in Round 1 in the last 15 years or so, turning Etienne into a poor-man’s LeVeon could pay dividends.

If Belichick was doing this, I think it’d have a much different view.

I don't think it's a learning thing so much as you need skills that aren't necessarily required to dominate in college. Etienne however I don't believe has those skills.
I think it's a little bit of both, but people tend to take the simplistic view (not saying that's what LJ is saying here, just in general) that it's not that different giving how much of modern football requires RBs to be good at catching the ball and whatnot, but that really forgets that RBs are never covered by CBs, usually linebackers or at best a safety. Taking even a super-elite athletic RB and lining him up at WR against NFL-level corners seems like a recipe for disaster, at least in the short term. Given a year or two or learning and trial by fire, maybe it'll work out.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Perhaps, though a bunch of players have been drafted as WRs who didn't really play there in college and been ok. I think it's more to do with certain athletic abilities and also skill/feel for the position etc etc, which we'll find out about with ETN I guess. To me the issue is mostly that you drafted a running back in the first round based off of his RB abilities and are already coming up with weird shit like switching him to WR to justify it.

Hell for the Steelers alone Kordell Stewart and Randle-El did it, and Hines Ward I think was converted to WR only for his last year at Georgia. Mike Furrey! Mike fuckin' Furrey of all people somehow lead the NFL in receptions one year. Sometimes I forget about that - arguably the one weirdest thing to ever happen in the entire history of the NFL.

EDIT: NM he finished 2nd and lead only the NFC. Still! And Troy Brown, who we discussed in detail a few weeks ago. I don't think it's a crazy idea in theory, it's just stupid in this case because why and because wtf are you doing Jax and what is your plan Urbs

EDIT AGAIN: Ok Furrey was a WR in college but that's still kinda insane that he just became an NFL DB like no sweat y'all I'm Mike Furrey I got this
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Let me just use this post to point out that Marshall Faulk regularly lined up as a slot receiver, or motioned out there, because Marshall Faulk was fucking amazing at football.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Brown was a receiver in college. College QB to NFL wr seems more common than rb to wr unless I'm forgetting a bunch of people.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

...bUt tHe pLaYeRs wHo oPtEd oUt aRe sElFiSh!

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Guy will fight for the 7 and 8th OL spot. Just means Pats arent assuming that 6th rounders will make roster. They also signed ferentz and they know him well. 6 OL pretty set plus herron, draft pick, ferentz, new guy and cajuste. Just wish the coach was back.

Wynn
Mason
Andrews
Brown
Onwenu
Karras
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:26 pm Guy will fight for the 7 and 8th OL spot. Just means Pats arent assuming that 6th rounders will make roster. They also signed ferentz and they know him well. 6 OL pretty set plus herron, draft pick, ferentz, new guy and cajuste. Just wish the coach was back.

Wynn
Mason
Andrews
Brown
Onwenu
Karras
Was more meant to celebrate just how awful he is. I was assuming he wouldn't be making the team.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yay!?

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If A) you bet the Texans for every game (taking the points), and B) Watson is (somehow) eligible to play in all of them, you could make some serious coin.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is why the As will be moving to Vegas despite any concerns about filling 81 home games. Yes, the prices are high because tourists but Vegas residents are willing to pay the price of living in a popular destination.

There is a chart here as it relates to VGK that would explain it. Like there’s actually a “maximum” price that ensures to you get “real” fans and the capitalists in the fanbase are removed.

It’s really only sustainable long-long term if the teams remains competitive though. It might not ever be as bad as PHX because Vegas fans are legit wired different in many ways but ultimately capitalism is capitalism. There’s a season in VGKs future where you’ll be back to sell a product that is garbage for 3x value. But that’s at least a couple seasons off probably.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

One nice thing about a year and a half of COVID is no obsessive need to track attendance.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Julio Jones trade rumors heating up. On a scale of Randy Moss to Ochocinco, what are the expectations with him on a new team?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

You could've said on a scale to Randy Moss in New England to Randy Moss in Oakland...

Julio is so athletically gifted it really won't matter where he goes. Assuming he's healthy, his floor his top 8 fantasy receivers anywhere he goes. Even the Jets.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

[+] spoiler
u
L-Jam3 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:31 am You could've said on a scale to Randy Moss in New England to Randy Moss in Oakland...

Julio is so athletically gifted it really won't matter where he goes. Assuming he's healthy, his floor his top 8 fantasy receivers anywhere he goes. Even the Jets.
You might be right, but to use the “Randy Moss in Oakland” comparison, if Jones goes to a bad team with a bad quarterback and a bad offense around him, will he still be a motivated, elite player? As we saw, Moss was not.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is outstanding. Like holy crap.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:31 am You could've said on a scale to Randy Moss in New England to Randy Moss in Oakland...

He's 32 and has never really been great at the technical aspects of the position, which IMO is why he never scores a ton of TDs. There are a lot of similarities to him now and Andre Johnson before he went to the Colts.

If that athleticism slips a bit he might fall off rapidly.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

GP, you raise a good point, but I feel like you could say the same thing about Terrell Owens, in terms of having physical gifts but maybe not following through on the technical aspects. And TO was a TD machine, so maybe it's not a perfect comp. TO's age-32 season was 2005, the year he went full TO on the Eagles, which despite him going crazy was still a monster. Then the next three years with Dallas he was a still among the top half-dozen receivers in the game. I'm not saying there's zero risk involved in Julio, but this seems like a no-brainer for a team that needs WR help.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

That's a good point though I'd argue TO just had a feel for the position that I've never really seen from Julio, with regards to finding open spots between zones and being good at body positioning. Though it's certainly possible that Jones is that freak human that maintains the athleticism into his 30s like TO did.

EDIT: And I'm not saying a team shouldn't go after Julio Jones, just that I personally would not be expecting a great season from him no matter what.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

wtf
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Maybe this will be what gets him!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(originally wrote "finishes" but wanted to be clear it was a Trump joke and not a Kraft joke)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That album is so great.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »