MLS 2021

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: MLS 2021

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Chicago changes badges again. Very cubs like. Mls needs to ease up on brand work. Fans are revolting. Changes are not helping.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sounders started 5 teenagers tonight against Austin.

Vargas is 15!

And Ruidiaz with a great goal...

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

If you have not had a chance to watch DC United this year, I highly recommend it. Losada has a very aggressive system that it taking a team with pretty limited star power and getting a ton from them. It is very much a style of Bielsa. Run Run Run, Press, Press, Press and aggressive vertical passing. Add in Kevin Paredes who is just blossoming this year. They are worth the time to check them out.

Other thoughts
* If DC spent some money they could be real competitors.
* Nice to see the academy players start to contribute. DC had the lowest ranked academy for years. Now we get Parades and Nymen getting big minutes. Griffin Yow seems to make the bench pretty regularly but for the kid who was supposed to be the star it has been surpassed by other academy signings.
* Hamid keeps getting hurt. He is a DP. I think I am ready to move on. I like Hamid and the DC back ups are not as good but good enough and bring much higher value per salary.
* I know Najar is on the back side of his career but his return to DC has bene a huge lift. Glad it did not really work out between LAFC and Najar.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I don’t think you can afford to DP your keeper in MLS anymore. Just try to strike gold with a young prospect or settle for a journeyman and try to win every game 4-3. Atlanta is going through the same thing right now with Guzan (who is not a DP but is overpaid for what you get).
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Two pretty amazing goals in lasta nights beatdown of the Timbers...

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Think that might be the nail in Saverese's coffin.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/real-sal ... -midseason

Apparently the big knock on Freddy is that he is terrible at substitutions. Now we have Pablo Mastroeni as our coach.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

so Montreal shutting down the fan section of the stadium. Violence, intimidation, and vandalism.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/cf-montreal ... -1.5576958
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:48 am so Montreal shutting down the fan section of the stadium. Violence, intimidation, and vandalism.

Shit like this is why I'm not an Orlando City fan. Their wannabe tough guys are the fucking worst. Also, I just can't get into MLS.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:02 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:48 am so Montreal shutting down the fan section of the stadium. Violence, intimidation, and vandalism.

Shit like this is why I'm not an Orlando City fan. Their wannabe tough guys are the fucking worst. Also, I just can't get into MLS.
These guys who want to be ultra-fans of a team that didn't exist ten or twenty years ago are annoying as hell.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:44 am

These guys who want to be ultra-fans of a team that didn't exist ten or twenty years ago are annoying as hell.
Yeah, it's been going on with almost every team since the beginning. DCU had a tiny group that wanted to be neo-Nazis, but that got rooted out pretty quickly. I remember Red Bull and the Crew also had elements that would get talked about back in the early days. Things got pretty heated between those 3 franchises to the point that respective management had meetings with supporters clubs about fighting in the stands and in parking lots.

It's all VERY silly.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:28 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:44 am

Yeah, it's been going on with almost every team since the beginning. DCU had a tiny group that wanted to be neo-Nazis, but that got rooted out pretty quickly. I remember Red Bull and the Crew also had elements that would get talked about back in the early days. Things got pretty heated between those 3 franchises to the point that respective management had meetings with supporters clubs about fighting in the stands and in parking lots.

It's all VERY silly.
I can't fathom having a rivalry or hatred of opposing fans for a new league. Especially in those days, the league owned the teams and player contracts, so it wasn't even like real clubs, the league placed star players near their hometowns to drum up interest and moved players to try to create parity in the league. In the early years MLS felt like college intramurals or a rec league for this reason. I guess assholes were looking for an excuse to act like thugs and the violence was the motivation, the fandom was a lame excuse.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, these were guys (and a few gals) that romanticized the hooliganism in Europe, as well as a faction from Argentina and a few other S.A. countries that wanted to replicate the bullshit that goes on between River and Boca and other teams.

It's all just so stupid because these are middle- to high-class white folks (mostly) that have NOTHING in common with the thugs and kids from barrios that make up most of the hooligans/ultra types in these other countries.

Add on to that what you are saying, just how artificial the entire league felt at the time... Let alone posing as a hardcore fan base with some kind of half-baked "rivalry" after 2 or 3 years?

Ridiculous.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:00 pm Yeah, these were guys (and a few gals) that romanticized the hooliganism in Europe, as well as a faction from Argentina and a few other S.A. countries that wanted to replicate the bullshit that goes on between River and Boca and other teams.

It's all just so stupid because these are middle- to high-class white folks (mostly) that have NOTHING in common with the thugs and kids from barrios that make up most of the hooligans/ultra types in these other countries.

Add on to that what you are saying, just how artificial the entire league felt at the time... Let alone posing as a hardcore fan base with some kind of half-baked "rivalry" after 2 or 3 years?

Ridiculous.
On the flip side, I went to a Red Bulls game maybe 10 years ago and we went to one of the supports bars before the game and marched across the river from Newark to the stadium. It was a surreal experience. There were around 100 people in the group at the bar, at an outdoor area playing drums, singing and dancing (and drinking) for a couple hours before the game. Everyone walked over with the drums going, chanting, waiving flags, etc... I didn't give a crap about the team other than being excited to see Thierry Henry in one of his first games in MLS, but it was powerful to experience, I can see how people get swept up in the scene. There were fans of whatever team Red Bulls played that day, but it was all friendly taunting with them. The supporter groups are truly incredible and create an amazing atmosphere throughout the entire stadium. Even if you are in the opposite end, the drums vibrate the whole stadium and keep the energy up.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:46 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:00 pm Yeah, these were guys (and a few gals) that romanticized the hooliganism in Europe, as well as a faction from Argentina and a few other S.A. countries that wanted to replicate the bullshit that goes on between River and Boca and other teams.

Ridiculous.
On the flip side, I went to a Red Bulls game maybe 10 years ago and we went to one of the supports bars before the game and marched across the river from Newark to the stadium. It was a surreal experience. There were around 100 people in the group at the bar, at an outdoor area playing drums, singing and dancing (and drinking) for a couple hours before the game. Everyone walked over with the drums going, chanting, waiving flags, etc... I didn't give a crap about the team other than being excited to see Thierry Henry in one of his first games in MLS, but it was powerful to experience, I can see how people get swept up in the scene. There were fans of whatever team Red Bulls played that day, but it was all friendly taunting with them. The supporter groups are truly incredible and create an amazing atmosphere throughout the entire stadium. Even if you are in the opposite end, the drums vibrate the whole stadium and keep the energy up.
It's all good until one person gets aggro.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Screaming Eagles, Barra Brava and La Norte held RFK together in a pretty incredible way for over a decade. I totally get that aspect.

My buddy that lives in Seattle (and who owns a vodka/limoncello distillery within walking distance of the stadium) had me join him for the march to a Sounders game when we were out there a few years ago. Like Syb said, that shit'll give you goosebumps even if you don't like the team your marching for.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:46 pmOn the flip side, I went to a Red Bulls game maybe 10 years ago and we went to one of the supports bars before the game and marched across the river from Newark to the stadium.
I bet a well timed "wait, we're walking all the way to New York?" comment could have ruined that entire vibe.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It looks like MLS and Liga MX have settled on how they want to merge (for now):

The other piece of it is an expanded CCL. I like anything that forces MLS clubs out of the kiddie pool, but this seems like a lot of games.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Leaning toward this is a good thing but it sure throws a wrench in the current hierarchy of of competition importance.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ooooof.

This is Not Good.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Has to be really hard to throw soccer games unless you have others in on the scheme. One guy just doesn't impact a game that much unless you're doing blatant stuff that would raise suspicion or get you benched.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:02 pm Has to be really hard to throw soccer games unless you have others in on the scheme. One guy just doesn't impact a game that much unless you're doing blatant stuff that would raise suspicion or get you benched.
Legitimately not sure what your actual point is here. Players betting on games they're playing in is OK in certain sports? It's not a big deal because it wasn't obvious enough for him to get caught by his coaches?

Try to help me out here.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

No. I'm just saying it's hard to pull off game fixing in soccer without it being obvious. Somehow you've got to give the other team a goal (or two).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:17 pm No. I'm just saying it's hard to pull off game fixing in soccer without it being obvious. Somehow you've got to give the other team a goal (or two).
Trying to fix a match is only the bare tip of the iceberg of why a player betting on a game he's playing in is a bad idea and why this is really, really, really bad news for MLS. They're lucky it's going to get swept up in a couple of other bigger brouhahas like Gruden being a racist, the MLB playoffs as well as WCQs.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Sounds like he just has a gambling problem.
The investigation, which was performed by international law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind Wharton & Garrison LLP, found no evidence that any MLS match had been compromised or that Hernandez had ever bet on an MLS match involving his own team.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:22 pm Sounds like he just has a gambling problem.
The investigation, which was performed by international law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind Wharton & Garrison LLP, found no evidence that any MLS match had been compromised or that Hernandez had ever bet on an MLS match involving his own team.
yeah, the immediate follow up tweet to the original posted in here was some necessary context
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

OK, definitely true but still really, really bad.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:25 pm OK, definitely true but still really, really bad.
in terms of his personal safety being threatened or betting on two league games?

I'd argue it's much more the former coupled with the mental health aspect (and that's not excusing the obvious breach of contract)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:29 pm
brian wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:25 pm OK, definitely true but still really, really bad.
in terms of his personal safety being threatened or betting on two league games?

I'd argue it's much more the former coupled with the mental health aspect (and that's not excusing the obvious breach of contract)
Isn’t athletes-mixing-with-gamblers inherently really f’ing bad?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

yes
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So pitch invader during a fight. Wearing a lucha mask. Fights and gun shots. The MLS Liga thing in the summer will be wild.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-leagu ... raze-wound
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Thank you to MLS for giving me my fix of batshit crazy tonight. Feel bad for DCU, they deserved better. Do not feel bad for Galaxy.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Also, Wondo retired, in case you missed it
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rex wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:36 pm Thank you to MLS for giving me my fix of batshit crazy tonight. Feel bad for DCU, they deserved better. Do not feel bad for Galaxy.
No they did not. DCU had chances over the last month they botched with bad d and sloppy play. But good coach, a style of play, some interesting players (which they have been missing in the last few years). If DC can open up the checkbook a bit this offseason, use the South American relationships the coach has...they could be fun next year.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I like that video!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Well...that sucked...
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Woof. Hate to see those RSL tactics prevail but not terribly sad to see the Sounders out of course. Feel like it was just a matter of time before Morris, Lodeiro, and Ruidiaz started clicking again.