Le Pro Cycling Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Le Pro Cycling Thread

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:56 am Having all these mountains early in the Tour is really blowing things up.
Do they do the stages in different orders from year to year?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:58 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:56 am Having all these mountains early in the Tour is really blowing things up.
Do they do the stages in different orders from year to year?
Oh yeah. And it’s not just the same stages every year. It’s a different path and they sometimes finish going one way and sometimes the other at the same finish area. They have some classics that appear regularly but I don’t know that anything gets used every year. Maybe the last one? For example one of the most famous is alpe d’huez but I don’t think they ride that this year at all.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I don't think any stage is in all TdF other than the final day Champs Elysees.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

They often take the first stages abroad. This year was the Spanish Basque county, which led to my joke about having to stop for customs as they crossed the Spain France border on day 3 or 4. Last year's start was in Denmark.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:09 pm I don't think any stage is in all TdF other than the final day Champs Elysees.
Next year ends somewhere other than the Champs Elysées for the first time since like 1908. Due to Olympics being in Paris.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Towns bid for the right to host starts and finishes too
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Square Rob wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:26 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:09 pm I don't think any stage is in all TdF other than the final day Champs Elysees.
Next year ends somewhere other than the Champs Elysées for the first time since like 1908. Due to Olympics being in Paris.
Tour de France 2024 to end with hilly 35km time trial to Nice
The 2024 Tour de France will finish on the French Riviera with a tough stage 20 summit finish at the Col de la Couillole and then a final hilly 35km individual time trial from Monaco to Nice expected to create a nail-biting finish.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Will be a really good day today. Puy du dôme is neat and its beautiful country with lots of hilltop towns surrounded by green fields. Also, Clermont Ferrand is one of my favorite big towns in France.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Square Rob wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:14 am Will be a really good day today. Puy du dôme is neat and its beautiful country with lots of hilltop towns surrounded by green fields. Also, Clermont Ferrand is one of my favorite big towns in France.
HDTV and the Tour go perfectly together.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

That Puy De Dome climb was BRUTAL....
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Race today ends in Issoire, a town we have one of our major plants and one at which I spend a fair bit of time. It’s also one of the towns I was given a choice of living at but désodés against. Some really beautiful countryside with rolling hills. The old town is also neat with lots of crooked streets and weird alleys. Regional cheese is really good there (better than the regional wine by far), and the best dish for me is truffade. Think a gratin, but they slice the potatoes really thin and fry them first, then layer them with local cheese and bake. So fucking good but a major gut bomb.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Square Rob wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:32 am Regional cheese is really good there (better than the regional wine by far), and the best dish for me is truffade. Think a gratin, but they slice the potatoes really thin and fry them first, then layer them with local cheese and bake. So fucking good but a major gut bomb.
Nico Roche, the commentator on the International Feed, spoke at great length yesterday about truffade and how good it was.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yum!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The feed on peacock is totally different today. Different announcers and everything.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

You might have turned on the international feed.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:46 am You might have turned on the international feed.
Well huh. I did pick the one I hadn't been watching on previous days. Thanks!

(I don't know enough about this stuff to know which feed is better so I just wanted to go with what I knew)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I've heard the international feed is better. Had no idea you could access it on Peacock.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

A_B wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:48 am
Rex wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:46 am You might have turned on the international feed.

(I don't know enough about this stuff to know which feed is better so I just wanted to go with what I knew)
Go with Phil and Bob unless you find them annoying or hate all the commercials & canned segments. International feed is just the undistilled race.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:59 am I've heard the international feed is better. Had no idea you could access it on Peacock.
Peacock premium has both. It makes a big difference in the Olympics (not least because the international feed is live). As for the TDF, I’d say that the Phil & Bob show has its charms. Though going to commercial break every 3 minutes isn’t one of them.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:01 am
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:59 am I've heard the international feed is better. Had no idea you could access it on Peacock.
Peacock premium has both. It makes a big difference in the Olympics (not least because the international feed is live). As for the TDF, I’d say that the Phil & Bob show has its charms. Though going to commercial break every 3 minutes isn’t one of them.
Yeah but they usually do the last 30 minutes or so with very few interruptions. It's just on a third screen in my office so I'm not exactly glued to it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I am fucking pumped to see what happens on this climb.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

There's a dude with his pants around his legs running up the hill.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:53 am There's a dude with his pants around his legs running up the hill.
Seen him 2x now. I think his "pants" are just a speedo in the first place. Definitely saw cheeks on the screen.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rex wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:59 am
A_B wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:48 am

Go with Phil and Bob unless you find them annoying or hate all the commercials & canned segments. International feed is just the undistilled race.
I've been going exclusively with the international feed this year. Much respect to Phil, but I don't enjoy Bobke's commentary.

Also, there's no commercials, and the onscreen graphics are better...including the gradient on the climbs is a great addition.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:28 am I am fucking pumped to see what happens on this climb.
The climb is INSANE. I can't imagine trying to do that.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fucking motorcycles.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Unless one of them has a bad day (a "jour sans" in the parlance), its all going to come down to the time trial tomorrow between Vingegaard and Pogačar.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Vingegard just won the Tour. Absolutely crushed it on the time trail.

No idea why riders make the decision to change bikes before a climb like that. Just seems to crush any rhythm or momentum.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Agree with that, though I think Tadej would have needed a motorcycle today.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:59 am Vingegard just won the Tour. Absolutely crushed it on the time trail.

No idea why riders make the decision to change bikes before a climb like that. Just seems to crush any rhythm or momentum.
The math on that is pretty well calculated. As is nearly all thing in the pro peloton.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:17 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:59 am Vingegard just won the Tour. Absolutely crushed it on the time trail.

The math on that is pretty well calculated. As is nearly all thing in the pro peloton.
But every rider that was doing it yesterday ended up losing more time. Can’t believe UAE stuck with that plan given the results that were happening over and over through the day. The bike is lighter but doesn’t have the same big gear. If your legs are there you can maintain faster speeds on the TT bike. The climb was tough but not that long and Vingegaard powered through. Pog was losing roughly 15s per time check, but the rate of time he lost was greatest after the bike change.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

I’m back in France now and wishing I could take today off work to go watch but honestly can’t because I have two weeks off in two weeks. Have an old intern that worked for me that lives in Meribel which is one of the most beautiful ski villages in the world and which is at the foot of the HC climb that ends todays stage.

Maybe I finagle a trip to our plant in Alsace to watch the penultimate stage…
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Square Rob wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:52 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:17 pm

But every rider that was doing it yesterday ended up losing more time. Can’t believe UAE stuck with that plan given the results that were happening over and over through the day. The bike is lighter but doesn’t have the same big gear. If your legs are there you can maintain faster speeds on the TT bike. The climb was tough but not that long and Vingegaard powered through. Pog was losing roughly 15s per time check, but the rate of time he lost was greatest after the bike change.
On Lance's podcast they were all over this today. Basically they were curious how these teams could not understand the power output that these guys could do on a TT bike versus a climbing setup.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

They went from a half lane road up a mountain and now are on a frigging four lane highway.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pog cracks on the BRUTAL climb up to Courchevel....
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Oh geez....and to end with a 17% ramp right at the end.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That was wild to watch. Pogi (I've been following his whole career since earlier this month so I can call him that) just had no answer. He was really struggling. It almost seemed like for a bit after Vingegaard separated he kept looking back to see if Pogacar had made any response.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Great piece in the Times comparing the times of the pro's going up the climbs with amateurs on Strava.

Watch Amateurs Race Against the Tour de France’s Top Climbers (Sort Of)
Amateur athletes rarely get a chance to measure themselves against professionals. But with cycling, many pros and amateurs do the same thing after a ride — they upload it to an app called Strava, where anyone can see and track their speed and location.

While they are not technically racing together (and with good reason), the data does allow us to see just how much faster the pros are than the rest of us.

Below, we present a virtual race of sorts, in which we take some of this year’s fastest Tour de France cyclists who posted their rides to Strava and pit them against a few hundred amateurs who rode over the same climbs in the Pyrenees or Alps and posted their results online.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sad news.17 year old rising star died ...sounds like hit by a car while training. Kid made the US team for the World Championships that start late this week.
https://usacycling.org/article/in-memor ... gnus-white
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »