Le Pro Cycling Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

Re: Le Pro Cycling Thread

Post by Rex »

I still can’t get over the ridicularity of that bridge. The Great Belt Bridge is 18km long, with a guard rail that is chest high. Apparently nobody in Denmark is suicidal because I didn’t see any of the safeguards you would normally expect to see in the US. Even Bob commented on it: “It would certainly be a tragedy if someone fell off into the ocean….”

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Belt_Fixed_Link
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

This was from the Commonwealth games yesterday.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Tough night before world championship
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... mpionships
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Vatican had a cyclist in the world championship
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... ng-mission
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Started the Netflix show on Le' Tour last night. Not as good as the golf one but enjoyable. Need more time with the riders. However you won't get that because they are locked away to rest on pedal the whole tour.

Some really cool camera shots.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:20 am Started the Netflix show on Le' Tour last night. Not as good as the golf one but enjoyable. Need more time with the riders. However you won't get that because they are locked away to rest on pedal the whole tour.

Really interested in this. The TdF coverage is amazing every year. I don't need another distraction, but I would love to see the same production quality for the Vuelta and Giro, (and all of the one day Monuments races).
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:36 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:20 am Started the Netflix show on Le' Tour last night. Not as good as the golf one but enjoyable. Need more time with the riders. However you won't get that because they are locked away to rest on pedal the whole tour.

Really interested in this. The TdF coverage is amazing every year. I don't need another distraction, but I would love to see the same production quality for the Vuelta and Giro, (and all of the one day Monuments races).
There are a ton of cycling team documentaries. Most follow a team for a tour or full season. I think that model works a bit better. My favorite is 24 Solo (that follows my high school friend who was a Trek pro mechanic and steals the movie).
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Pro cyclists are famously antisocial, right? I remember Landis talking about that in the Lance doc.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rex wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:33 am Pro cyclists are famously antisocial, right? I remember Landis talking about that in the Lance doc.
You would be anti social too if you spent all waking hours either training, recovering, eating, and resting (or being drug tested) based on a spreadsheet model. Just no time to actually live. The amount of data the teams track on these folks is crazy. That is part of the reason the racing has become so predictable. Radios and computers. The teams know exactly how hard a rider can go (how many matches they can burn before they bonk).
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Excited to watch this.

If folks haven't seen it, the "Slaying The Badger" 30 for 30 (about Greg Lemond) is fantastic.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:01 am
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:36 am

There are a ton of cycling team documentaries. Most follow a team for a tour or full season. I think that model works a bit better. My favorite is 24 Solo (that follows my high school friend who was a Trek pro mechanic and steals the movie).
The one on Netflix about Team Movistar "The Least Expected Day" is really good.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Finished the netflix Tour thing. Got better as the series went on.

Also on cycling movies, this is consider the best

Big news in the sport was death of Gino Mäder during the Swill Tour. They cancelled the next day of the race and 3 teams dropped from the event. Surprised we don't see that more frequently. Some big crashes but few deaths. The last one I recall is Lance Armstrong's teammate in 95 (Fabio Casartelli).
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/17/spor ... uisse.html
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Guess the sticky bottle was a bit too sticky....and not a bottle
https://www.espn.com/olympics/cycling/s ... cles-climb
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:17 pm Guess the sticky bottle was a bit too sticky....and not a bottle
https://www.espn.com/olympics/cycling/s ... cles-climb
JFC. They didn't know people were watching?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Simon and Adam Yates (twins) breakaway and finish 1-2 for today's stage. They race for different teams. Adam in the yellow. Powless (US of A) will be in the Polka Dots for stage 2.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I like watching this for the landscape shots. So cool. And the strategy that goes into these races is fascinating to me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:07 am I like watching this for the landscape shots. So cool. And the strategy that goes into these races is fascinating to me.
It’s mesmerizing.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I love it
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Only swamper* who hates it is Bob since all those bikes ruin the view out his back window while he’s doing dishes.

*where did TFG live?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

I think he was somewhere in Lorraine because he was a fan of AS Nancy.

The race actually doesn’t come too close to us this year. It does pass through some places a spend a fair bit of time for work though. When they climb the puy du dome in 9 and then 10 they will be near Issoire where I work quite a bit.

The stage I’ll go to watch is the one on Bastille day when they climb the Columbier. That’s the closest to me, and will be good viewing to boot. Some avid cyclist coworkers will likely do the climb in the morning to find a place to watch. Not sure yet if I will join for that part or drive and hike. Frankly I need good advice from a local on the best way.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Square Rob wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:42 pm I think he was somewhere in Lorraine because he was a fan of AS Nancy.

The race actually doesn’t come too close to us this year. It does pass through some places a spend a fair bit of time for work though. When they climb the puy du dome in 9 and then 10 they will be near Issoire where I work quite a bit.

The stage I’ll go to watch is the one on Bastille day when they climb the Columbier. That’s the closest to me, and will be good viewing to boot. Some avid cyclist coworkers will likely do the climb in the morning to find a place to watch. Not sure yet if I will join for that part or drive and hike. Frankly I need good advice from a local on the best way.
I want a report on the "if this is worth it". The idea of seeing the tour is on my bucket list, but the logistics to see them zip by seems a bit crazy for an investment.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Do the fellas need to stop at customs today?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Damn, Powless has no chill. If he really wants to win KOM, I wish he'd save energy for the actual mountain stages.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rex wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:05 am Damn, Powless has no chill. If he really wants to win KOM, I wish he'd save energy for the actual mountain stages.
He needs to keep the polka dot jersey today. Holding it today means he will have it for a few more days. EF is a team that almost lost their world tour spot last year. They are in a rough sponsorship place and not as well funded. Their GC leader went out on the first stage crash, so Powless is the man now...and could podium...but even if he does not....have the polka dot jersey for multiple days is good for the business side of the team.
With two categorised climbs left today and just one on tomorrow’s route, Neilson Powless is seven points clear in the KOTM category and has at the very least guaranteed himself the polka-dot jersey until the end of stage five in the Pyrenees.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shoot. They’re heading to Bayonne. I don’t think you can get there from there.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I've been there, I know the way.

(I've never been there)
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:48 am
Square Rob wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:42 pm I think he was somewhere in Lorraine because he was a fan of AS Nancy.

I want a report on the "if this is worth it". The idea of seeing the tour is on my bucket list, but the logistics to see them zip by seems a bit crazy for an investment.
Well, fuck. My quick there and back to the US trip has now turned into 2.5wks. Boss has decided since I’m there I need to visit both US sites and now he’s coming along too for the back half. Joy. I pointed out to him that I’m an avid cyclist and will now be in the US for basically the whole tour. He pointed out I’m here for at least three years and maybe more.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

FWIW, coworkers did one of the big climbs on the criterium du dauphine then watched the race come by. They do every year and say it’s a blast. But I think doing the climb in the morning then seeing them do the same much faster is part of the thrill.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Square Rob wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:14 pmBut I think doing the climb in the morning then seeing them do the same much faster is part of the thrill.
This sounds like the way to do it. Even watching the Tour of Utah riders go by was pretty exciting. Actual top-level racing on a French mountainside would be ten times that.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This stage seems like it's been nuts. Huge gaps from the front to the back. HC climb in the middle with a category 1 coming before the finish. Cannot imagine trying to climb those mountains on a bike.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Of course I tune in just in time for Pogacar to get dropped.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:51 am This stage seems like it's been nuts. Huge gaps from the front to the back. HC climb in the middle with a category 1 coming before the finish. Cannot imagine trying to climb those mountains on a bike.
Apparently horse steroids helps with riding a bike up a mountain. You might find some of those lying around on your street since you live in Kentucky. Who knows, they might even be the Bob Baffert brand of horse roids.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:28 am
A_B wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:51 am This stage seems like it's been nuts. Huge gaps from the front to the back. HC climb in the middle with a category 1 coming before the finish. Cannot imagine trying to climb those mountains on a bike.
Apparently horse steroids helps with riding a bike up a mountain. You might find some of those lying around on your street since you live in Kentucky. Who knows, they might even be the Bob Baffert brand of horse roids.
While I have not gone up some these climbs, I have done so virtually. It can be done, just not very fast...and doing multiple of them in the same day at that speed is insane. Also going up is hard..going down some is flat out scary.

I did Cote De Pike the same day the Tour went up it...the 2.2km took me about 15 minutes and that was pretty early in my ride. I have not looked but you can go look at lots of tour riders' Strava accounts and compare what they did...just silly
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:00 am
Sabo wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:28 am
While I have not gone up some these climbs, I have done so virtually. It can be done, just not very fast...and doing multiple of them in the same day at that speed is insane. Also going up is hard..going down some is flat out scary.

I did Cote De Pike the same day the Tour went up it...the 2.2km took me about 15 minutes and that was pretty early in my ride. I have not looked but you can go look at lots of tour riders' Strava accounts and compare what they did...just silly
There were a few seasons where I got strong enough to probably do most of those climbs. But only one climb, and very very very slowly. And it'd take a week to recover. And relative to actual bike racers, I'd've been even slower on the way down.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The other thing about those climbs in the number of people and idiots crowding you. Hammering up the hill at the ridiculous effort, my mind would be on just getting up the mountain. They have to be aware of the huge crowds in there way, getting out of the way at the last minute, maybe bumping into them and ruining their rhythm if not knocking them off. The camera shot from behind (looking up the road) Jai Hindley yesterday were insane looking. And that was probably a smaller crowd than others.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

it's gonna be Vingegaard and Pogacar dueling at the end of this stage isn't it?

eta: Didn't realize Van Aert was in that group for some reason.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:00 am I have not looked but you can go look at lots of tour riders' Strava accounts and compare what they did...just silly
On the international feed (on Peacock), they'll show the amateur KOM from strava on a climb, and then the best time from the peloton for the day. Usually its about 10-15 minutes faster.

Today's stage was nuts as well. Having all these mountains early in the Tour is really blowing things up.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This week has been completely epic. I'm not sure how they can sustain it for 2 more weeks.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rex wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:36 pm This week has been completely epic. I'm not sure how they can sustain it for 2 more weeks.
Well, we know how they sustain it. We just really don't want to see any of ours get caught.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I’ll deliver the blood bags myself if we can get more racing like this.