A Nasty Stiffarm

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: A Nasty Stiffarm

Post by L-Jam3 »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:02 am
Giff wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:01 am Um, where's the fear-mongering?
Yeah am I reading that headline wrong or something?
If the headline read "Only 1 out of over eleven thousand, 3 times less likely than drawing four of a kind on five cards", it could've been more pro-science.

Anyway, I get my 2nd Pfizer next Friday at the South Jersey Megasite.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

In THAT article? None. What we have been hearing for weeks about OMG BREAKTHROUGH CASES and blood clots six people out of seven million? More.

My point was, the news is fantastic, and good luck getting that larger point out to people through most forms of eyeball driven media clicks and hot takes.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:49 pm
In THAT article? None. What we have been hearing for weeks about OMG BREAKTHROUGH CASES and blood clots six people out of seven million? More.

My point was, the news is fantastic, and good luck getting that larger point out to people through most forms of eyeball driven media clicks and hot takes.
Yeah, my MiL was freaking out over "all the fully vaccinated people in the hospitals." I thought those numbers were low and showing the vaccine is effective.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:31 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:49 pm

Yeah, my MiL was freaking out over "all the fully vaccinated people in the hospitals." I thought those numbers were low and showing the vaccine is effective.
I think the proper terms are "Doctors" and "Nurses"
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I believe I just saw something that said a good alternate headline if they weren't fearmonger for clickbait would be "vaccine said to be 98% effective is actually 99.993% effective."
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:46 pm I believe I just saw something that said a good alternate headline if they weren't fearmonger for clickbait would be "vaccine said to be 98% effective is actually 99.993% effective."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:46 pm I believe I just saw something that said a good alternate headline if they weren't fearmonger for clickbait would be "vaccine said to be 98% effective is actually 99.993% effective."
Aye. I mean, it’s a goddamn miracle.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:49 pm
That is so fucked up from CNN.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Gotta get dem clicks!
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I mean that's how I read that headline. "Tens of millions" seems to be emphasis on just how rare this is.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:12 am I mean that's how I read that headline. "Tens of millions" seems to be emphasis on just how rare this is.
"Why aren't vaccines 100% effective? The science behind .003% of vaccinated Americans who have still contracted COVID post-vaccination."

Maybe it really just depends on how you read it but the tens of millions didn't stick out to me at all. Maybe that's just a function of the numeric versus written out numbers being used?

I'm just saying in an environment where you want to promote science and get people to trust this and get back to normal, you could put these articles out in a much more informative and much less fear based clickbait way.

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

If I were trying to make a case that something was wrong with this site, the last thing I'd say in a message to an admin would be "I've had problems with 5 messages out of tens of thousands that I've tried to post".
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I guess that's my point. You wouldn't be trying to make the case at all because there's more than likely absolutely nothing wrong with the site.

The article is either unnecessary from a statistical significance point or attempting to achieve a goal by getting people to react with "wait a minute, does that mean the vaccine doesn't work?". Both are horseshit and inflammatory in the current climate in my opinion.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think the word "anyway" is the problem. Almost a "no matter what we did, people got sick anyway!"
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

For any of you local guys, if you have any friends or family having issues getting dosed, the Clifton (Passaic Co) health department portal is now open and booking appts for next Wednesday. Moderna and drive thru, never have to leave the car.

cliftonnj dot org

Link should be on the front page
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But don't go to that Clifton Target. Last March they said they had Ninentdo Switch consoles in stock but then when I got there they didn't and I had to drive into B&H and then B&H gave me the wrong game so I had to go to Best Buy in Vauxhall and be like "my kid got this as a gift, I'm just looking to swap it for this other game" and thankfully they were cool with that.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just appreciate you identifying it as being in Vauxhall and not Millburn.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh yeah, fuck that town-ist nonsense.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sitting with my daughter in the observation area. Our family has now gotten 8 of our 10 shots (including my Mom).

My son gets his second Pfizer on Wednesday. Then he turns 21 two days later. So he’ll probably get the hangover without the drunk.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:28 am I think the word "anyway" is the problem. Almost a "no matter what we did, people got sick anyway!"
This. Exactly this.

SL - here is what they wrote:
About 5,800 people out of tens of millions who have been vaccinated against coronavirus have become infected anyway, the CDC says
Here is what they could have written that would have not been the bullshit they wrote:
Just under 5,800 people out of tens of millions who have been vaccinated against coronavirus have become infected, the CDC says
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

ESPN's headline (as well as many others very similar) is bothering me:

"San Francisco Giants' Jake McGee, Logan Webb go on IL after getting vaccine"

I'm not really sure why because it's not nearly as bad as the CNN "anyway" headline. Maybe because I feel like the Giants are using the Covid IL for roster management. Need a spot to activate Wood, don't need Webb until Tuesday, put him on IL. McGee blew his first save, won't be available Sunday, put him on IL, activate him on Monday. It's a team gaming the new system and using it to their advantage, while kinda signaling false alarms about vaccine side effects. I'm not trying to say they may not have side effects, but a term like "lingering effects" in an article is vague or ambiguous enough for some to say stupid shit like "see, even professional athletes say the vaccine is bad for them."

Oh, and I'll add that I got first-dose Pfizered up today and have had no effects whatsoever 12 hours in.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Reaper wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:56 pm ESPN's headline (as well as many others very similar) is bothering me:

"San Francisco Giants' Jake McGee, Logan Webb go on IL after getting vaccine"

I'm not really sure why because it's not nearly as bad as the CNN "anyway" headline. Maybe because I feel like the Giants are using the Covid IL for roster management. Need a spot to activate Wood, don't need Webb until Tuesday, put him on IL. McGee blew his first save, won't be available Sunday, put him on IL, activate him on Monday. It's a team gaming the new system and using it to their advantage, while kinda signaling false alarms about vaccine side effects. I'm not trying to say they may not have side effects, but a term like "lingering effects" in an article is vague or ambiguous enough for some to say stupid shit like "see, even professional athletes say the vaccine is bad for them."

Oh, and I'll add that I got first-dose Pfizered up today and have had no effects whatsoever 12 hours in.
I don’t think we should assume they are gaming the system. But, it’s my understanding that most people with adverse reactions only suffer them for a day or two, so maybe they are?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Perfect video to watch during my 15 minute observation period for shot #2!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Got the Pfizer poke today at the mass clinic location at the Tysons Corners Mall. Most people I have been near in a year. It was an amusement park. Each time you thought you were making promises you entered another set of swtichback lines around the corner. Started out in the middle of the mall between the conveyor belt sushi owned by some friends of ours and the phone fix-it kiosk. But the actual site was a former Lord and Taylor so my injection occurred right under the Polo Ralph Lauren sign still hanging on the wall. So you know I am getting some high quality designer vaccine. None of that Old Navy Vaccine.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Pfizer shot #2 yesterday - fully vaccinated, baby.

of course all last night and today i feel like i got hit by a truck - brutal. my 74 yr old parents got on a plane the next day, no ill effects. Obvious where the weak link in the family is...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:49 am Pfizer shot #2 yesterday - fully vaccinated, baby.

of course all last night and today i feel like i got hit by a truck - brutal. my 74 yr old parents got on a plane the next day, no ill effects. Obvious where the weak link in the family is...
Younger people (better immune system) tend to have worse side effects. Just realized, I am at the two week mark after my second dose, so I am immortal (that's how it works, right?). Let the orgies commence!!!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

:D

don't know how legit it is that i get to be called one of the "younger people" but i'll take it

last night i fell asleep in the basement fully clothed, woke at 3:30am feeling like 99% better. 24hrs of feeling like dogshit in exchange for being vaccinated? I'm in every time.
The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:54 am
MaxWebster wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:49 am Pfizer shot #2 yesterday - fully vaccinated, baby.

Younger people (better immune system) tend to have worse side effects. Just realized, I am at the two week mark after my second dose, so I am immortal (that's how it works, right?). Let the orgies commence!!!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shot #2 +2 days. Similar boat. Great night sleep last night has me feeling much better than yesterday. I wouldn't say I felt like dogshit, but it was headed that way.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Got pfizer#2 yesterday morning. Arm really starting to hurt last night. Didn't sleep much last night, and not feeling so great this morning. Kinda feels like a bad hangover.

And of course I've got meetings all morning (note to self: Don't get vaccine shots during Big Room Planning), but I've powered through work hangovers before. I'm seeing a long nap this afternoon.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good job, Max, Chedda, DiS! I passed two weeks since my #2 shot yesterday, and it’s exhilarating.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Moderna #2 about two hours ago. Opted for the shot in my left shoulder this time (already a light dull soreness), as the soreness in my right arm was aggravating four weeks ago.

Ten-year-old has been prepped for dealing with potentially semi-absentee parents tomorrow.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:36 am Moderna #2 about two hours ago. Opted for the shot in my left shoulder this time (already a light dull soreness), as the soreness in my right arm was aggravating four weeks ago.

Ten-year-old has been prepped for dealing with potentially semi-absentee parents tomorrow.
Pizza and vidyagames for 48 straight hours while mom and dad lay on the couch seems like a pretty solid deal for a 10yo

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:06 am Good job, Max, Chedda, DiS! I passed two weeks since my #2 shot yesterday, and it’s exhilarating.
I've got 4 hours to go before I never have to wear a mask again.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:38 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:36 am Moderna #2 about two hours ago. Opted for the shot in my left shoulder this time (already a light dull soreness), as the soreness in my right arm was aggravating four weeks ago.

Pizza and vidyagames for 48 straight hours while mom and dad lay on the couch seems like a pretty solid deal for a 10yo
There's a six-year-old, also. We're not paying for her to "babysit", if needed.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Naruto has like 10 seasons. My kid can get missing for days between that and rocket league.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:54 am

From what you've, the orgy is within spitting distance. Decent bottle always works.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Tour! Mayhem! It's just a shot away, it's just a shot away...
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:39 am
sancarlos wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:06 am Good job, Max, Chedda, DiS! I passed two weeks since my #2 shot yesterday, and it’s exhilarating.
Anyone else just learned today that J&J is 4 weeks post-shot, not 2 weeks like the others?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:58 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:39 am
Anyone else just learned today that J&J is 4 weeks post-shot, not 2 weeks like the others?
I hadn't heard that, but still shorter than Pfizer/Moderna, right? Pfizer is five week from shot 1 to full protection (shot 2 is three weeks after shot 1 and then two more weeks to full protection), and Moderna 6 weeks from shot 1 to full protection.