Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Johnnie »

All those years as a cop and he still booger hooks the trigger? (Half kidding.)

Movie looks great. Since it's on Netflix I'll definitely watch it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Is it a movie or TV series? Asking for this thread.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:42 am Is it a movie or TV series? Asking for this thread.
Film. Oh well.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

In this day and age, you never know.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:51 am In this day and age, you never know.
Apparently in this thread, you never know.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Really late to this particular party, but an unexpected benefit of sitting for hours on the Alaska airlines plane to and from Hawaii was the opportunity to binge the entire second season of The White Lotus. Lots of fun! (We don’t have Max at home.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:30 pm Really late to this particular party, but an unexpected benefit of sitting for hours on the Alaska airlines plane to and from Hawaii was the opportunity to binge the entire second season of The White Lotus. Lots of fun! (We don’t have Max at home.)
Did your flight have tvs? I flew to Seattle on Alaska and no tvs, have to log into their intranet with your own device. And the plane out was so old there was an ashtray built into the bathroom door.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I've fallen into the habit of watching old M*A*S*H* episodes (only the first 3 seasons...with Henry Blake, Trapper, and Frank) on Hulu while I'm eating lunch when I'm working from home.

And damn, that is some high quality TV comedy writing. And because of the cuts that were made when the show went into syndication, there are whole scenes that I don't really remember ever seeing.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:48 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:30 pm Really late to this particular party, but an unexpected benefit of sitting for hours on the Alaska airlines plane to and from Hawaii was the opportunity to binge the entire second season of The White Lotus. Lots of fun! (We don’t have Max at home.)
Did your flight have tvs? I flew to Seattle on Alaska and no tvs, have to log into their intranet with your own device. And the plane out was so old there was an ashtray built into the bathroom door.
Pretty new plane, but no tv’s. You open the airline app on your phone or iPad, go to the dropdown menu and choose In-flight entertainment. Then you can choose from a selection of free movies or tv shows. They showed Max as an option, which included a limited selection of their shows - including White Lotus season 2.

Each seat back had a handy little fold down shelf for your phone, plus electric outlets and usb ports.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:51 am In this day and age, you never know.
Yeah, my brain hung on the word "series", which in retrospect meant the series of movies (although we all try to forget the last two), but I processed as this comeback being a limited run (six episodes or whatever).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:32 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:48 pm
Pretty new plane, but no tv’s. You open the airline app on your phone or iPad, go to the dropdown menu and choose In-flight entertainment. Then you can choose from a selection of free movies or tv shows. They showed Max as an option, which included a limited selection of their shows - including White Lotus season 2.

Each seat back had a handy little fold down shelf for your phone, plus electric outlets and usb ports.
Did you have to connect your phone to the usb port? Or are they streaming video to everyone?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

You connect to their Wi-Fi and go to their website and they have a list of movies and tv shows. I thought people brought their own stands to hang their phones from the seats. Flight there I checked, my seat didn’t have one
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The disparity in in flight entertainment amenities between the carriers is vast.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I’m surprised they have the capacity to stream so much video. That’s amazing.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:06 pm The disparity in in flight entertainment amenities between the carriers is vast.
After flying JetBlue 95% of the time for 10 years, I was shocked that our last Seattle flight on Alaska didn’t have screens. An airline that typically flies a long way and gets high marks. I hated it.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I fly Southwest the most. I think Alaska is heaven in comparison. Southwest has very few inflight entertainment option. And, on Southwest, usually six or more people need wheelchairs as they pre-board. But they leave walking just fine. That’s what you get for not having assigned seats.
Last edited by sancarlos on Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

As long as we are digressing into airline discussion… we connected through Maui on our way to the big island. Flew in a little propeller plane that only seated eight people. Pretty cool. Mokolele Airlines!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:33 pm I’m surprised they have the capacity to stream so much video. That’s amazing.
In my experience, most airlines have been doing this for years now.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:33 pm I’m surprised they have the capacity to stream so much video. That’s amazing.
They're not streaming the video outside the jet. The video server on the jet has the movies loaded on it. It gets distributed by the WiFi to the passengers' devices, or the screens on the backs of the seats might even be wired into the network themselves.

I mean, right? Has to be that way. Or it should be.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That’s what I figured but also sattelites.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:21 pm I fly Southwest the most. I think Alaska is heaven in comparison. Southwest has very few inflight entertainment option. And, on Southwest, usually six or more people need wheelchairs as they pre-board. But they leave walking just fine. That’s what you get for not having assigned seats.
there were 12! Twelve! on my flight from Cleveland thursday morning. None of them in wheelchairs upon landing at BWI...
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Just finished Band of Brothers after putting it off for like 20 years!

Anyway, I need a new show. deliberating between Top Boy, Slow Horses, and Fall of the House of Usher. Anyone have any endorsements or condemnations?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:54 pm Just finished Band of Brothers after putting it off for like 20 years!

Anyway, I need a new show. deliberating between Top Boy, Slow Horses, and Fall of the House of Usher. Anyone have any endorsements or condemnations?
The new season (season 5) of Fargo.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:54 pm Just finished Band of Brothers after putting it off for like 20 years!

I need to watch Band of Brothers. My son wanted to see it, so I was waiting for him, but he never wants to watch. So many shows, I can't think of what to recommend. Currently trying to wrap up the original Justified. Still loving the show, although I need long breaks after each season. Succession was one of the best I've seen recently. Watched the first season of Slow Horses, and it was very good.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:59 pm

Thanks. I actually crossed this off the list because I thought it was only on Hulu until it's over, but just checked and it's on Youtube TV, so perfect.

Syb, BoB is great but the character development is a little slow so it takes a few episodes to really know who is who. If shaking camera makes you anxious, a whole lot of that. War scenes are tough to follow but I'm also a cauldron of ADHD. I definitely learned more about the last year of WWII than I did in school though!

Justified and Succession are awesome and two of only a handful of shows that I look forward to and don't skip the opening credits/theme song.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:10 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:59 pm

Thanks. I actually crossed this off the list because I thought it was only on Hulu until it's over, but just checked and it's on Youtube TV, so perfect.

Syb, BoB is great but the character development is a little slow so it takes a few episodes to really know who is who. If shaking camera makes you anxious, a whole lot of that. War scenes are tough to follow but I'm also a cauldron of ADHD. I definitely learned more about the last year of WWII than I did in school though!

Justified and Succession are awesome and two of only a handful of shows that I look forward to and don't skip the opening credits/theme song.
Ha, I listen to those theme songs too! Just bummed that Natalie Zea was written out of the show so early on. I’m infatuated with her.

If you missed Last of Us, that was incredible. So was Station Eleven.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Slow Horses is fantastic. Haven’t seen the others.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Patriot on Amazon Prime.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

brian wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:47 pm

Patriot on Amazon Prime.
Watched it on your rec like 3 years ago. Fantastic!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:59 pm
brian wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:47 pm

Patriot on Amazon Prime.
Watched it on your rec like 3 years ago. Fantastic!
Well then bravo!

I haven’t seen Slow Horses but heard great stuff and looking forward to seeing it myself
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

So the "we were on a break" episode aired last night and I'm more Team Ross than ever. Rachel literally says the next morning ro Monica that they "broke up", not that they were on a break. Ross had every right to bed the copy chick and had he not called earlier, Rachel definitely would've fucked Mark.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:43 am So the "we were on a break" episode aired last night and I'm more Team Ross than ever. Rachel literally says the next morning ro Monica that they "broke up", not that they were on a break. Ross had every right to bed the copy chick and had he not called earlier, Rachel definitely would've fucked Mark.
Agreed
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

All part of why Rachel is the worst person on the show.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Pacific is pretty good (though not BoB good)

and I was never really a Friends guy, but Shwimmer's character in BoB made me hate Ross even more than I did.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm actually watching The Pacific now after recently finishing Band of Brothers. I agree that it's not as good as BoB, but it's still worth watching.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And this reminded me of a preview I saw last week.

https://tv.apple.com/us/show/masters-of ... icq738k5q2 Masters of the Air on Apple+. Looks fucking awesome.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Huh. Another one.
Totally Kafkaesque
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:56 pm All part of why Rachel is the worst person on the show.
You can get away with it when you're the hottest...
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm Team Phoebe on that front now. Probably related to the fact that she looks like a Mom we met through our kids' elementary school who I enjoy seeing.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:00 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:56 pm All part of why Rachel is the worst person on the show.
You can get away with it when you're the hottest...
Don't we know it, brother.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.