Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:03 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:54 pm Watching Masters of the Air Episode 5.
[+] spoiler
Fuck. Every one of these 8th AF guys was a redshirt.
[+] spoiler
Wife basically went upstairs a couple weeks ago tired of a similar sentiment. We haven't watched it since, but I'll finish it up soon enough.
(This really is a mild spoiler for Episode Six.)
[+] spoiler
Episode 6 was less grim. FWIW.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched the second episode of "Feud: Capote vs the Swans"....
[+] spoiler
Wow...the Thanksgiving dinner at Joanna Carson's house was nuts. And Phyllis Diller was there!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

How you going to have a cold open with 4 senators slurping Trump and not have Shane Gillis, the host of the show tonight, not play Trump in it. C'mon.

Literally has one of the best impressions.

Also, he's not getting any laughs during his monologue because the crowd sucks. (And his material is not fit for regular TV.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

He should invite some more racists onto his podcast and bitch about the SNL crowd. :lol:
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Really crappy episode.

Only decent laugh came from the gambling app one.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I didn’t get to it yet. But here’s a lukewarm take. Mikey Day sucks. Nobody is asking he play the straight man to level of Sudeikis or the incomparably versatile Hartman, but shit. When you say every sketch how weird this is with that irritating voice of his, it just blows the sketch. God he sucks.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

WHAT THE EFF? DAVID BLAINE! YOU'RE A DEMON!
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:02 am Really crappy episode.

Only decent laugh came from the gambling app one.
Weekend Update's almost always good, but you have to wonder who's in charge when the show has 15 or so writers and somehow the Forrest Gump and sex doll skits made it through all the stages that led to them being on air.
Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

ScarJo as Katie Britt is great. Loving it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:34 pm ScarJo as Katie Britt is great. Loving it.
For anybody who missed it:

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

This week's Curb had Lori Loughlin playing herself. I am sure she does not have many options but appreciate her willingness to make fun of herself. Also, as the final season I like that they keep making fun of the Seinfeld finale.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:24 am
Johnnie wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:34 pm ScarJo as Katie Britt is great. Loving it.

I mean, she did a great job. Technically brilliant. But was it funny? The problem with lampooning stuff like this (see Trump, Donald) is that it's already so ridiculous that there's little meat left on the bone. All ScarJo did was reenact the speech with a few small modifications. The American Right has made itself nearly unmockable.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:54 am
sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:24 am

I mean, she did a great job. Technically brilliant. But was it funny? The problem with lampooning stuff like this (see Trump, Donald) is that it's already so ridiculous that there's little meat left on the bone. All ScarJo did was reenact the speech with a few small modifications. The American Right has made itself nearly unmockable.
No, it’s entirely mockable. The problem is the rightwing of the American political spectrum is overrun by cuckolded, incel extremists who are incapable of shame.

So fuck them. And laugh all you want.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Given that a majority of people (presumably?) don't really follow politics and that Republicans wouldn't put Britt in that position if they didn't have some sort of plan for her, SNL introducing her to a group of people as a joke right from the jump can't hurt. I doubt that's the show's intent, but I assume its a net positive.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:14 am Given that a majority of people (presumably?) don't really follow politics and that Republicans wouldn't put Britt in that position if they didn't have some sort of plan for her, SNL introducing her to a group of people as a joke right from the jump can't hurt. I doubt that's the show's intent, but I assume its a net positive.
This. Make a national mockery of her and the GOP. Plus, there are probably a lot of people who never saw the original and will see the SNL video. And ScarJo looks so hot as Britt.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:15 am And ScarJo looks so hot as Britt.
IMHO, she looks hotter as herself.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:21 am
Personally, I’d think ScarJo would look hot as Kenny Britt. But I’ve always had a thing for her. What was that movie where she fucks that guy in the rainfall? Such a great scene.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:27 am
Personally, I’d think ScarJo would look hot as Kenny Britt. But I’ve always had a thing for her. What was that movie where she fucks that guy in the rainfall? Suck a great scene.
I think that's in the director's cut of Infinity War.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've been saying, and I've heard many comedians say, that while folks initially thought Trump was a "great gift to comedy" the problem is as exactly stated upthread: It's difficult to lampoon something that as already sitting squarely in the ridiculous.

It also would be a lot "funnier" if Trump and the current iteration of the GOP were just bumbling idiots without a clearcut agenda. Installing a dictatorship, stripping women and trans people of their rights and just generally being evil fucks isn't very funny (to most).
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

We got caught up on Masters of the Air last night.
[+] spoiler
How realistic is it that the Germans would have so much information about downed pilots? I'm thinking both of Bucky (Buck?) and the Tuskegee Airmen. When the interrogator says that Bucky's name isn't on the lists of pilots and crews on the mission where he was shot down, so the Gestapo would think him a spy, how would the Germans know that?

Did the Army provide lists to the Germans of missing airmen (like through the Red Cross or an intermediary)? I assume Germany had spies in England reading the news and reporting back, but did they also have the personnel office infiltrated to that extent?

Also, in case there's anyone else as ignorant as I am, that POW camp is the one from the Great Escape. It was so far east in Germany that it is now Poland. Trying to escape from there seems really dumb, at least until the last few months of 1944 maybe, because even if you get out of camp, you're in Germany. Was there a Czech Underground that would help smuggle downed pilots? Where would they be smuggled to?

Either way, we're really loving the series, as grim as it is.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:27 am
Personally, I’d think ScarJo would look hot as Kenny Britt. But I’ve always had a thing for her.
"Don Jon" is currently streaming on Amazon Prime.

You're welcome.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:28 pm I've been saying, and I've heard many comedians say, that while folks initially thought Trump was a "great gift to comedy" the problem is as exactly stated upthread: It's difficult to lampoon something that as already sitting squarely in the ridiculous.

It also would be a lot "funnier" if Trump and the current iteration of the GOP were just bumbling idiots without a clearcut agenda. Installing a dictatorship, stripping women and trans people of their rights and just generally being evil fucks isn't very funny (to most).
[Patton] Oswalt, commenting on what comedians face addressing the Trump era with their gags, joked:
“You could not feel more superfluous in terms of making fun of the president because the Trump administration is an 18-wheeler full of monkeys and PCP that has crashed into a train full of diarrhea, and so there’s diarrhea-covered monkeys on PCP running around and everyone is just watching it like, ‘Oh my god!’ And then you as a comedian walk up and go, ‘Hey, do you want to hear a joke I wrote about this?’ And they’re like, ‘No, I’m good. There’s nine jokes in my head. You can go take a break. This is playing itself out perfectly.’”
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Watched the first two episodes of Guy Ritchie’s new series The Gentlemen, on Netflix ( a spinoff from the movie of the same name). I’m enjoying it very much. Very Guy Ritchie-ish, in the crime/comedy sense.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:15 pm Watched the first two episodes of Guy Ritchie’s new series The Gentlemen, on Netflix ( a spinoff from the movie of the same name). I’m enjoying it very much. Very Guy Ritchie-ish, in the crime/comedy sense.
Only one episode in, but, yep, very fun.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:24 am
sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:15 pm Watched the first two episodes of Guy Ritchie’s new series The Gentlemen, on Netflix ( a spinoff from the movie of the same name). I’m enjoying it very much. Very Guy Ritchie-ish, in the crime/comedy sense.
Only one episode in, but, yep, very fun.
Should I watch the movie first?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I didn't watch the movie, so I'm not a great source for that question.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, I haven’t seen the movie either, and I’m enjoying it.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I think y'all actually just answered it for him!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Shogun is starting strong. I have reservations about the lead, but everyone else is good.

I liked the first few episodes of The Gentlemen, though it is definitely a tier below Shogun.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Loving Shogun. Really like The Gentlemen. There’s been a few moments where I expected hundred mile high city to bust in.
Noli Timere Messorem
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

If you're looking for something funny with short episodes "The Completely Made Up Adventures of Dick Turpin" on Apple has been pretty good. Reminds a little of Our Flag Means Death.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Finally finished "Masters of the Air". I thought it was really good, and it was great to see what happened to those guys post-war.
[+] spoiler
Did Croz ever mention to his wife about his thing with the Subaltern? Or did he wait to write his memoir until she died?

And Rosie's story was wild...ending up with the Russians...wandering through the Concentration camp. And he flew 52 missions!!!
We've watched 2 episodes so far of "Shogun", and really like it. But its hard for me to remember everyone's names.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:47 am If you're looking for something funny with short episodes "The Completely Made Up Adventures of Dick Turpin" on Apple has been pretty good. Reminds a little of Our Flag Means Death.
I read somewhere it's the "spiritual successor" to OFMD. And Noel Fielding is my most famous "brush" (besides my bloody nose caused by Gary Carter.) Saw him at the Tate Modern in London. He was with his family, so I simply nodded my acknowledgement at the genius of the Mighty Boosh and he nodded his appreciation.

Also, finally got around to Only Murders In the Building. 4 episodes in and enjoying immensely.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:15 pmWe've watched 2 episodes so far of "Shogun", and really like it. But its hard for me to remember everyone's names.
I feel so racist having the same problem. I basically have to watch with IMDB open on my phone.

In my defense, it took me half a season to figure out who all the various dark haired bearded guys were in Game of Thrones too.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:15 pm Finally finished "Masters of the Air". I thought it was really good, and it was great to see what happened to those guys post-war.
[+] spoiler
Did Croz ever mention to his wife about his thing with the Subaltern? Or did he wait to write his memoir until she died?

And Rosie's story was wild...ending up with the Russians...wandering through the Concentration camp. And he flew 52 missions!!!
[+] spoiler
My wife and I really loved it. I was wondering the same thing about the Croz affair too. And wondering what happened to the Subaltern after the war.

It really says something that every one of the "Masters of the Air" ended up being shot down, and the two main guys at the start of the show spent more time in POW camp than flying missions.

Was there a bigger waste of Allied lives and resources than these daytime strategic bombing missions?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:26 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:15 pm Finally finished "Masters of the Air". I thought it was really good, and it was great to see what happened to those guys post-war.
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
My wife and I really loved it. I was wondering the same thing about the Croz affair too. And wondering what happened to the Subaltern after the war.

It really says something that every one of the "Masters of the Air" ended up being shot down, and the two main guys at the start of the show spent more time in POW camp than flying missions.

Was there a bigger waste of Allied lives and resources than these daytime strategic bombing missions?
[+] spoiler
Probably not...lots of guys/planes shot down...and from what I've read, it had minimal impact on the industrial output.

I did read a book a few years ago called "Big Week" about the staging of huge raids every day for week, mainly to draw out the Luftwaffe and decimate the number of pilots/planes available to them before D-Day.

I also wondered...after seeing the liberation of the POW Camp...how did they not just go into full rampage mode and start killing all the guards once they had taken their guns? The thirst for revenge had to be pretty high.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:51 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:26 am
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
Probably not...lots of guys/planes shot down...and from what I've read, it had minimal impact on the industrial output.

I did read a book a few years ago called "Big Week" about the staging of huge raids every day for week, mainly to draw out the Luftwaffe and decimate the number of pilots/planes available to them before D-Day.

I also wondered...after seeing the liberation of the POW Camp...how did they not just go into full rampage mode and start killing all the guards once they had taken their guns? The thirst for revenge had to be pretty high.
I’m sure that last thing happened a lot. We just don’t see it in our media.

Didn’t something along those lines happen near the end of Band of Brothers?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Since the UConn game got out of hand, I put on the first episode of this season’s Amazing Race. And I’m glad no one told me that one team ended up recreating the corridor scene from the first Austin Powers. I’m not going to have a harder laugh all year.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone else watching the new season of Top Chef. Still trying to wrap my head around it being in Wisconsin this time, but they are making it work so far.

Kristen Kish is definitely a good replacement for Padma. Seems very comfortable in the hosting duties.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:57 am Anyone else watching the new season of Top Chef. Still trying to wrap my head around it being in Wisconsin this time, but they are making it work so far.

Kristen Kish is definitely a good replacement for Padma. Seems very comfortable in the hosting duties.
I'm in. Kish is really good as host.Two episodes in and she has a completely different style than the iconic Padma, but absolutely fills her shoes. My wife commented the other night that the chefs don't seem as good, but I think that's just in comparison to season 20's all star cast.

The S.F. offal dude, who went out first, choosing to not stay for last chance kitchen seems like a bit of a moron.

TC judges seem to love mole as much as they hate risotto.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.