Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Giff »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:18 pm That's exactly where I'm at with Beef. I'm watching it more to see where it goes than through an "enjoyment" factor. (We're only 2 episodes in)
Finishing the last two episodes tonight and really can’t predict where this is going. My buddy the other day just said whatever you think is gonna happen isn’t gonna happen. Looking forward to it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:31 am Even the monologue, especially when JT came out was weirdly flat... As was the Barry Gibbs Talk Show skit.

Stuff that usually kills just kind of didn't hit.
There's something really off about SNL lately. It's the weakest cast they've had in a long time, and the pacing and direction is off as well.
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Giff wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:44 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:18 pm That's exactly where I'm at with Beef. I'm watching it more to see where it goes than through an "enjoyment" factor. (We're only 2 episodes in)
Finishing the last two episodes tonight and really can’t predict where this is going. My buddy the other day just said whatever you think is gonna happen isn’t gonna happen. Looking forward to it.
Meh should have ended after the penultimate episode.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Lost their glue guy in Beck Bennett and never replaced him.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Down to the last couple of episodes of Reservation Dogs and I don't want it to end. Pretty sure I would commit crimes to make sure some of those characters are happy. I love them.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:16 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:31 am Even the monologue, especially when JT came out was weirdly flat... As was the Barry Gibbs Talk Show skit.

Stuff that usually kills just kind of didn't hit.
There's something really off about SNL lately. It's the weakest cast they've had in a long time, and the pacing and direction is off as well.
I just went back and looked at the 2023 episode list... They've had some decent episodes and the Please Don't Destroy and Weekend Updates are consistently pretty good.

There are always lulls on SNL, going back to the very beginning. If you watch some of the early days, not highlights, but full episodes... Yeesh.

That said, while I like a number of the cast members, beyond Bowen Yang, it feels like a cast full of supporting members. There's nobody that can come out and blow the doors off. I like when former cast members come back, like Maya Rudolph for the ABBA christmas album, but it also kind of underscores your point.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:38 am Down to the last couple of episodes of Reservation Dogs and I don't want it to end. Pretty sure I would commit crimes to make sure some of those characters are happy. I love them.
Oh goodness, I totally forgot about that show!!

Thanks, need to get it back into rotation.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I just burned through six seasons of Peaky Blinders in 2 weeks and...
[+] spoiler
Is it to be presumed from the ending that Tommy's just going to feign being dead like Alfie and go be an actual nomadic gypsy for the rest of his life, or is he going to kill some Nazis?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:00 am
rass wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:38 am Down to the last couple of episodes of Reservation Dogs and I don't want it to end. Pretty sure I would commit crimes to make sure some of those characters are happy. I love them.
Oh goodness, I totally forgot about that show!!

Thanks, need to get it back into rotation.
I've almost stared episode 1 of the final season several times, but don't want it to end. Such a quirky, great show. I heard Taika Waititi on a few podcasts a couple months ago and decided to finally watch What We Do in the Shadows. Watched the movie first, then started the TV show. It's a mockumentary about Vampires living in a house in Staten Island with their human "familiars" which are like servants. Totally absurd and occasionally laugh out loud funny.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

What We Do in the Shadows is fucking hilarious and only gets better as the seasons go. Jackie Daytona forever.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Has anyone else started the "Masters of the Air" on AppleTV?

I've watched the first 2 episodes, and its pretty good so far. The flight scenes are terrifying.

Heard an interview with the main writer (he also wrote the "Day of Days" episode of Band of Brothers) and it was pretty interesting about the level of detail that they put into making this.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:30 am Has anyone else started the "Masters of the Air" on AppleTV?

I've watched the first 2 episodes, and its pretty good so far. The flight scenes are terrifying.

Heard an interview with the main writer (he also wrote the "Day of Days" episode of Band of Brothers) and it was pretty interesting about the level of detail that they put into making this.
That's on our list.. We try not to start too many shows at once...

To that point: We started Death and Other Details on Hulu last week... Two eps in and we are hooked. Starring Mandy Patinkin, so, if he's not your cup of tea, don't bother.

It's kind of an amalgam of Glass Onion, Only Murders and... Succession (sorta/kinda). And I'm too lazy to look it up but there's a new actress in a starring role and she's pretty good.

4 out of 5 straight lines... again, with the only 2 episodes in caveat.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Two episodes of "Shrinking" was enough for me. Really started nicely, but the second episode had so many incidents of what Roger Ebert called "The Idiot Plot" (events that could only happen if every character involved is an idiot) that I just couldn't go on.
[+] spoiler
The psychologist telling the neighbour to back off when the neighbour seems to have been the only reason the girl survived the year without her mother? The angry husband somehow finding Jason Segal's character at the soccer game? Inviting a violent, damaged man to live in the same house as a 16 year old girl?
Canadian International
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt IV wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:55 am Two episodes of "Shrinking" was enough for me. Really started nicely, but the second episode had so many incidents of what Roger Ebert called "The Idiot Plot" (events that could only happen if every character involved is an idiot) that I just couldn't go on.
[+] spoiler
The psychologist telling the neighbour to back off when the neighbour seems to have been the only reason the girl survived the year without her mother? The angry husband somehow finding Jason Segal's character at the soccer game? Inviting a violent, damaged man to live in the same house as a 16 year old girl?
I get it but...I really loved the show even with all that. And Harrison Ford's character was SO good as season 1 went on.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:09 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:55 am Two episodes of "Shrinking" was enough for me. Really started nicely, but the second episode had so many incidents of what Roger Ebert called "The Idiot Plot" (events that could only happen if every character involved is an idiot) that I just couldn't go on.
[+] spoiler
I get it but...I really loved the show even with all that. And Harrison Ford's character was SO good as season 1 went on.
I would say it's in the same general "suspend disbelief" zone as, say, Ted Lasso.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:12 pm
[+] spoiler
I would say it's in the same general "suspend disbelief" zone as, say, Ted Lasso.
Exactly right. It's a fantasy - comedic - but you cannot really take it literally. Within that framework, I thought it had moments of brilliance.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think I commented the same on here somewhere. The way everyone's (except for the daughter) relationship with Segal's character just resets to normal after a year of him grieving by being a drug-addled asshole is rough, but I think it ends up worth trying to get past that as a viewer.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

[+] spoiler
Ted Lasso analogy is great, I didn’t make that connection, but it’s a similar unrealistic world, but to a lesser degree. I loved that show, but if you aren’t feeling it, there’s too much great Tv to waste time.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If nothing else Shrinking is worth watching for Ted McGinley’s line reading of “eat a bag of dicks”
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:41 pm If nothing else Shrinking is worth watching for Ted McGinley’s line reading of “eat a bag of dicks”
"Eat a bag of dicks", huh?

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:30 pm
[+] spoiler
Ted Lasso analogy is great, I didn’t make that connection, but it’s a similar unrealistic world, but to a lesser degree. I loved that show, but if you aren’t feeling it, there’s too much great Tv to waste time.
Same showrunner/EP on both shows. Bill Lawrence also did Scrubs which required a suspension of disbelief as well.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It is definitely Lawrence’s signature style - which I vibe with but for sure understand why it isn’t for everyone.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:30 am Has anyone else started the "Masters of the Air" on AppleTV?

I've started it as well and agree. I was reading (I think on Reddit) that the CGI is terrible but I don't agree with/see that at all.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:14 am What We Do in the Shadows is fucking hilarious and only gets better as the seasons go. Jackie Daytona forever.
Next season will be the final which I think is great...go out on a high note.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:24 pm

I've started it as well and agree. I was reading (I think on Reddit) that the CGI is terrible but I don't agree with/see that at all.
I thought the CGI was pretty good...but I was watching on my laptop. Maybe it doesn't work as well when scaling up on a big home TV.

Pretty crazy to imagine these 19-20 year guys climbing into a B17 in England, and then just having to fly in formation to the target area. The flak is completely and totally random...if your time is up, its up.

And those B17's were the height of technology at the time! I remember a few years back being out sailing, and one of the few remaining flyable B17's flew over the water. The thing was LOUD...and slow. And one of the guys on the boat said "Can you believe we fought a war using those things....and won?"
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The end of this cold open was pretty good. But I still hate how they give Nikki Haley a platform. Luckily, she's toast.

Props to Ayo though. Even if it was for the skit, I like that that's how she delivered that question.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Last night we watched the first episode of FEUD: Capote vs The Swans.

It's very well done (Gus Van Sant directed it), and my god...Naomi Watts is fantastic as Babe Paley (wife of Bill Paley, the head of CBS), but a little bit of Truman Capote's voice and affectation goes a long way.

(and does Diane Lane ever age? She looks amazing)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:05 amBut I still hate how they give Nikki Haley a platform.
Normalizing a racist presidential candidate through late-night television has never resulted in anything bad, though.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:50 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:05 amBut I still hate how they give Nikki Haley a platform.
Normalizing a racist presidential candidate through late-night television has never resulted in anything bad, though.
It was irritating as hell when they Had Hilary Clinton on, but then Sarah Palin? Trump and Elon Musk as hosts? Fuck that shit.
Canadian International
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

TIL the name of the town in Bob’s Burgers is Seymour’s Bay.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt IV wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:37 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:50 pm
It was irritating as hell when they Had Hilary Clinton on, but then Sarah Palin? Trump and Elon Musk as hosts? Fuck that shit.
Oh, it gets worse...

SNL names Shane Gillis as host, years after dropping him over racist joke
“Saturday Night Live” announced comedian Shane Gillis as the host of its upcoming episode, less than five years after hiring and then almost immediately dropping him as a cast member over previous jokes that many viewed as offensive.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's been 5 years since he got shitcanned and I honestly couldn't give a shit less.

His stand-up special on Netflix is friggin' great and I'm pretty sure he learned from the incidents.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:34 pm It's been 5 years since he got shitcanned and I honestly couldn't give a shit less.

His stand-up special on Netflix is friggin' great and I'm pretty sure he learned from the incidents.
I agree. I felt like he got railroaded a bit. I don’t remember the joke that got him fired, but IIRC, someone dug up one race based joke from a skit years prior and the SJWs branded him as racist for one race-based joke. He’s a bit of a Philly meathead, but not a bad guy. I don’t get judging a comedian because of one joke, that when you read it from a transcript sounds horrible. But the media runs a story, and comment sections are filled with people raging and labeling when they never saw the skit/joke and don’t know the comedian.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:24 pm

[+] spoiler
They're going to need to introduce more characters cuz they all keep getting blow'd up out of the sky.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:01 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:34 pm It's been 5 years since he got shitcanned and I honestly couldn't give a shit less.

I agree. I felt like he got railroaded a bit. I don’t remember the joke that got him fired, but IIRC, someone dug up one race based joke from a skit years prior and the SJWs branded him as racist for one race-based joke. He’s a bit of a Philly meathead, but not a bad guy. I don’t get judging a comedian because of one joke, that when you read it from a transcript sounds horrible. But the media runs a story, and comment sections are filled with people raging and labeling when they never saw the skit/joke and don’t know the comedian.
So a comedian makes a shitty racist joke (or takes part in one) and he pays the ultimate price. Except he didn't, and he's been given a second chance.

What's the problem?
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nothing will ever come close to racist for me the way Ari Shaffir did The Amazing Racist 20ish years ago before he became more well known.

Rounding up Mexicans at Home Depot and then driving to the immigration office. Going to a Asian restaurant dressed as a geisha and asking "What kind of Chinese" everyone was. That shit was wild.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:19 pm Nothing will ever come close to racist for me the way Ari Shaffir did The Amazing Racist 20ish years ago before he became more well known.

Rounding up Mexicans at Home Depot and then driving to the immigration office. Going to a Asian restaurant dressed as a geisha and asking "What kind of Chinese" everyone was. That shit was wild.
Watch sitcoms from the 80s and you'll see what can no longer pass today. One of Cheers' biggest moments was when Sam and Diane were seriously slapping each other across the face. Hell, Blazing Saddles was one of the funniest movies of all time and it'd never get made today. Society evolves.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

First having Chappelle on the goodnights, and then Nikki Haley, and then Gillis, who was fired after his sets where he talks about gays and Asians come to light? If they're trying to get Bowen Yang to quit, then this is one way to do it.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Will Ferrell (Will Ferrell!) said the n-word on actual SNL. Twice I think.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:26 pm Will Ferrell (Will Ferrell!) said the n-word on actual SNL. Twice I think.
And hundreds of off the air, but I’m sure Tim Meadows had deserved it.
-Pruitt