Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:57 pm First having Chappelle on the goodnights, and then Nikki Haley, and then Gillis, who was fired after his sets where he talks about gays and Asians come to light? If they're trying to get Bowen Yang to quit, then this is one way to do it.
Yeah, why was Chappelle there? That was really really strange. We always watch the goodnight and the first thing we noticed was how Diva-ish JLo was being for, like the first full 60 seconds after the music came on... Waving to the crowd like Queen E while everyone else is hugging.

But, yeah, as the pan back and there's Chappelle and we're like... WTF??
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:13 am
Johnnie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:19 pm Nothing will ever come close to racist for me the way Ari Shaffir did The Amazing Racist 20ish years ago before he became more well known.

Rounding up Mexicans at Home Depot and then driving to the immigration office. Going to a Asian restaurant dressed as a geisha and asking "What kind of Chinese" everyone was. That shit was wild.
Watch sitcoms from the 80s and you'll see what can no longer pass today. One of Cheers' biggest moments was when Sam and Diane were seriously slapping each other across the face. Hell, Blazing Saddles was one of the funniest movies of all time and it'd never get made today. Society evolves.
I get the evolution of what is acceptable, and often I think progress is great. Take for example, the rapey comedy films of the 80s. I can't fathom how everyone was ok with it. Something like Blazing Saddles I see as a shame that we can't make jokes about race. Sure, the old lady threw out the N-word, but the reason behind the scene was to make fun of racists. If Mel Brooks wasn't so old, I'm sure there would've been a movement to cancel him. Another shame is that a show like All in the Family can't get on the air today. I think it made huge strides in bring race issues to the national conversation, and in a way that again, made the racist the butt of the jokes. It shows racism for the senseless fear-driven ignorance that it is. Why hide it? Rip off the curtain and display the idiocy for what it is.

Which gets me to another point, SJWs attacking people for saying/doing things that were acceptable at the time they said/did it. Allow for the fact that people can change with the times. When I was a kid, every threw around the word "retarded." We didn't know it was offensive, and when society made it known it was offensive, most people stopped using it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:56 am When I was a kid, every threw around the word "retarded." We didn't know it was offensive, and when society made it known it was offensive, most people stopped using it.
There was an institution in my hometown whose official name was the State Home for the Mentally Retarded.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:08 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:56 am When I was a kid, every threw around the word "retarded." We didn't know it was offensive, and when society made it known it was offensive, most people stopped using it.
There was an institution in my hometown whose official name was the State Home for the Mentally Retarded.
They later changed the name to the Grand Junction Republican Party. *drumroll*
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:14 am What We Do in the Shadows is fucking hilarious and only gets better as the seasons go. Jackie Daytona forever.
Just got to the Jackie Daytona episode. Holy shit that was hilarious. The episode right before it (Colin Robinson gets a promotion) was by far my favorite episode, until I watched Jackie Daytona. There was a Colin Robinson line a few episodes before it that killed me. They are all taking about their past, Colin looks at the camera and says, "I don't even know what my deal is." It killed me, because I can't figure out if he is a vampire or just a really boring person, so him saying he doesn't know was great.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:56 am
Which gets me to another point, SJWs attacking people for saying/doing things that were acceptable at the time they said/did it. Allow for the fact that people can change with the times. When I was a kid, every threw around the word "retarded." We didn't know it was offensive, and when society made it known it was offensive, most people stopped using it.
Ryerson University in Toronto had its name changed because the guy it's named after supported educating and converting Indigineous people to Christianity. This was in 1820. Also some thinking that he wasn't anti-slavery enough. (in political terms - no slavery in Canada at the time.)

So now, it's Toronto Metropolitan University. A weak name, but not worth getting worked up over.

So why was a university named after Egerton Ryerson in the first place?
Ryerson is considered to be the founder of the Ontario public school system. An advocate against Christian sectarianism and control of Upper Canada by the wealthy Anglican elite, Ryerson staunchly opposed Clergy Reserves and promoted a system of free public education in Canada.
But you know, in 2020 he'd be considered an asshole.
Canadian International
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm not gonna claim to have done ANY research, but... If Ryerson is more than just adjacent to the horrible history of "converting" first nation ppl... That might be revisionist, but holy shit is that not a good look.

Again, I don't know what his deal was... But that's a very fraught history.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Eg Ryerson? Needlenosed Eg, eg the head?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We're really enjoying Mr. and Mrs. Smith on Amazon... I never really paid attention to the earlier iterations, but gather they are the kind of standard "couple pretends to be normal, but, actually... SPIES!" trope.

This is a pretty interesting twist. Both actors are killing it so far (3 episodes in).
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Mr. and Mrs. Smith on Amazon...not a bad series. Good characters and likeable actors. Different than the Brad -Angelina movie. Elements of the Atlanta episodes I liked.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

He really hasn't missed a beat.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

In tweets, articles, etc., the media that I follow (caveat) seemed to all be united in their opinion that him coming back to TDS was underwhelming, not needed, etc. Kinda surprised by that. Isn't he exactly what lefties need right now as a counterbalance to the MSM still not knowing how to handle a Trump candidacy? And if he's not, who is covering that beat currently?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:49 am In tweets, articles, etc., the media that I follow (caveat) seemed to all be united in their opinion that him coming back to TDS was underwhelming, not needed, etc. Kinda surprised by that. Isn't he exactly what lefties need right now as a counterbalance to the MSM still not knowing how to handle a Trump candidacy? And if he's not, who is covering that beat currently?
Nice job saying what the real problem is without saying it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone still watching "Masters Of The Air"?

Just watched Episode 5...and wow...how nutty was it for those guys to bail out of a flaming B-17 as its going down?

And I was trying to think which would have been the worst crew position...and its gotta be either the waist gunners or the poor dude stuck in the ball turret.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I am…I still think it’s great.

Any of the gunner positions would be horrible…you’re just so exposed.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

GoodKarma wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:44 pm I am…I still think it’s great.
Yeah, I think its great. The CGI gets a little janky in spots, but I can look past that.
Or the bombardier...sure, I sit here in a glass bubble, totally exposed, as I try to hit a railyard from 30,000 ft.

The podcast "We have ways of making you talk" (a WWII history podcast with historian James Holland) has been doing a series on the "Mighty 8th".
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Finally, all these years later, tried Fargo - TV version. Season 1 was, indeed, pretty damn awesome. On to season 2 now.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So....did anyone watch the last episode of "True Detective"?
[+] spoiler
I liked it. Things came together a bit neatly, but the little touch of the supernatural was good.

And they really made it look fucking cold.

But one quibble...there's no way Jodie Foster would have survived breaking through the ice like that.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:19 pm Finally, all these years later, tried Fargo - TV version. Season 1 was, indeed, pretty damn awesome. On to season 2 now.
Season 1 is still my favorite of all of seasons. Billy Bob Thornton is such a great villain and Martin Freeman’s character’s evolution (devolution?) showed some great acting.

I’ve liked every season except season four.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:39 pm
tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:19 pm Finally, all these years later, tried Fargo - TV version. Season 1 was, indeed, pretty damn awesome. On to season 2 now.
Season 1 is still my favorite of all of seasons. Billy Bob Thornton is such a great villain and Martin Freeman’s character’s evolution (devolution?) showed some great acting.

Was 4 the Chris Rock season? I wasn't a big fan of that one either.

Season 2 was fun. Hanzee was a great character.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

maybe best BBT role? And that is saying something. Just...pure unstrained understated evil.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:47 pm

I liked the Chris Rock season, but I'd say it wasn't as good as the others. Haven't seen the most recent yet.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Season 4 had Timothy Olyphant so it is automatically not bad.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:28 pm So....did anyone watch the last episode of "True Detective"?
I did and agree...I don't think this season was near as bad as the internets are saying. Problem is nothing can touch season 1 so anything else is going to fail in comparison.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

True Detective S4
[+] spoiler
The buildup was OK enough, and the supernatural stuff was ‘eh’. The Wendigo vibes ala Dark Winds was a hit/miss. Maybe it was just too much. The cleaning crew going nuts and destroying all the research was an eyeroll for me. There’s zero chance they wouldn’t have left fingerprints all over that facility. Where was the investigation? And yeah, a couple of middle-aged women falling 20 feet onto the ground - they’re going to have broken legs, ribs, even vertebrae. The last episode knocked the season from a 6.5 down to a 5.
Noli Timere Messorem
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

John Oliver offered to pay Clarence Thomas a million dollars a year until one of them dies and a $2.4 million motor coach if he retires within 30 days. He makes $300 k a year from SCOTUS. Completely legit contract.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:50 pm John Oliver offered to pay Clarence Thomas a million dollars a year until one of them dies and a $2.4 million motor coach if he retires within 30 days. He makes $300 k a year from SCOTUS. Completely legit contract.
I’d take that deal.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:18 pm
Yeah, I think its great. The CGI gets a little janky in spots, but I can look past that.
Or the bombardier...sure, I sit here in a glass bubble, totally exposed, as I try to hit a railyard from 30,000 ft.

The podcast "We have ways of making you talk" (a WWII history podcast with historian James Holland) has been doing a series on the "Mighty 8th".
We're still watching it, but it's so intense (at times) that I can tell we're kind of subconsiously spacing things out.

And the underbelly gunner is the worst.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:25 pm

I liked the Chris Rock season, but I'd say it wasn't as good as the others. Haven't seen the most recent yet.
I feel like I should go back and watch S4 again. For some reason, despite this being one of my favorite shows, that season just didn't ever catch my attention.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:29 am

I feel like I should go back and watch S4 again. For some reason, despite this being one of my favorite shows, that season just didn't ever catch my attention.
I'd say it was a weird season, but they all are weird.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:29 am

I feel like I should give the Ewan McGregor season another try. I remember watching the first couple of episodes but never following up on it.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:27 am

We're still watching it, but it's so intense (at times) that I can tell we're kind of subconsiously spacing things out.

This has gotten harder to watch after learning that my wife's grandfather was part of a B-17 crew based in England during the last year and a half of the War. He was a waist gunner and a top turret gunner at various times.

He was shot down, held as a POW, liberated, and lived to a ripe old age. He apparently didn't talk very much about what he did during the war, but he went to church every day, and he surprised everyone by crying tears of joy when his sons' draft lottery numbers came back high.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:32 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:27 am

This has gotten harder to watch after learning that my wife's grandfather was part of a B-17 crew based in England during the last year and a half of the War. He was a waist gunner and a top turret gunner at various times.

He was shot down, held as a POW, liberated, and lived to a ripe old age. He apparently didn't talk very much about what he did during the war, but he went to church every day, and he surprised everyone by crying tears of joy when his sons' draft lottery numbers came back high.
Wow...that's intense.

Years ago, I had a dentist who when I mentioned that I had worked at Boeing right out of college told me "Boeing Airplanes saved my life". When I looked confused he told me he'd been on a B-17 crew over Europe and they would always come back so shot up that it was a miracle that the plane could fly at all.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've got a whole thing teed up about the children of the ww2 generation being full of serial killers. But I don't feel like typing it all out.

Those dudes didn't know from mental health and PTSD and the vast majority dealt with horrendous situations (repeatedly) and then came home and just bottled it up.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Anybody catch any of Monsieur Spade on AMC, starring Clive Owen? It is about Dashiel Hammett’s private detective Sam Spade (made famous by Humphrey Bogart in the 1941 film noir, The Maltese Falcon), but it is 20 years later, he’s living in retirement in France, and he gets caught up in a local intrigue.

It’s a bit slow, but it gets better as it goes along. Owen does a good impression of an aging Bogart, which helps.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:40 pm Anybody catch any of Monsieur Spade on AMC, starring Clive Owen? It is about Dashiel Hammett’s private detective Sam Spade (made famous by Humphrey Bogart in the 1941 film noir, The Maltese Falcon), but it is 20 years later, he’s living in retirement in France, and he gets caught up in a local intrigue.

It’s a bit slow, but it gets better as it goes along. Owen does a good impression of an aging Bogart, which helps.
Yes. I think Owen's delivery is a little too deliberately noir, but overall I thought it was pretty good.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Watching Masters of the Air Episode 5.
[+] spoiler
Fuck. Every one of these 8th AF guys was a redshirt.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:54 pm Watching Masters of the Air Episode 5.
[+] spoiler
Fuck. Every one of these 8th AF guys was a redshirt.
[+] spoiler
Wife basically went upstairs a couple weeks ago tired of a similar sentiment. We haven't watched it since, but I'll finish it up soon enough.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I finally got around to watching The Wire. One episode to go in S1. It's as good as advertised. I didn't recognize young Wallace as Michael B Jordan until way late in the season. I guess I hadn't thought about how old the show is. (Another thing for the feeling old thread, I suppose)
Totally Kafkaesque