Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by sancarlos »

Saw the first two episodes of Sugar, an offbeat neo-noir starring Colin Farrell, on Apple. Very stylish. I like it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We are digging Sugar, as well. There are times when the noir of it all can be a little much or distracting. But Colin is very engaging and I'm definitely drawn in by the plot.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, I’m not 100% sold on it yet either. But I’m going to keep watching. They go a little silly over the top on trying to present Colin Farrell‘s character as a good guy.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Is it like a Swingers sort of vibe?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:39 am Is it like a Swingers sort of vibe?
Not really. Farrell is a modern, empathetic but still tough, troubled private eye. It’s a noir-ish crime show on the surface, but a character study underneath.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, as an example, during the last episode, they kept splicing in scenes from Humphrey Bogart movies... It's stuff like that... It's more of a distraction than I would like and to SC's point, it's a little heavy handed (to me).

But, overall, Farrell carries the show enough to kind of allow for that stuff to the point that we are digging it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I think Colin Ferrell is one of those actors who I've liked everything he's been in.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Travis Kelce to play the role of Mr. Peanutbutter in an Amazon Prime’s version of “Celebrities: What Do They Know? Do They Know Things? Let’s Find Out!”

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/399 ... -celebrity
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Back to Sugar, it’s kind of fun to see actors from other shows show up, such as Holly Flax, Skylar White, and Rich Schweikart.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I just finished Season 2 of The Wire last night. At this point you can put me in Team Wire for that argument between The Sopranos and The Wire. I think it just has a more compelling storyline than Sopranos, which didn't seem to have as much of a constant through line.

I'd still rate Breaking Bad and GOT (and maybe even BCS) above either of those, but they're all great.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:16 am I just finished Season 2 of The Wire last night. At this point you can put me in Team Wire for that argument between The Sopranos and The Wire. I think it just has a more compelling storyline than Sopranos, which didn't seem to have as much of a constant through line.

I'd still rate Breaking Bad and GOT (and maybe even BCS) above either of those, but they're all great.
Good analysis. Season 2 of The Wire was the one that got me hooked; I thought season 1 was good but didn’t totally grab me. I think Sopranos, Wire, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men are the Big Four in some order. GoT, while its highs were as high as any of the previous four, did seem to have seasons of only ok quality, while I think there wasn’t a single season of the Big Four that really left me underwhelmed. The only season of the Big Four that I was even slightly disappointed was the one year of Mad Men that took place in 1968, and that’s only because that particular year was so transformative that I was expecting the best season of tv ever, and it didn’t reach that.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sounds like it's time for my bi-yearly attempt to get into The Wire. I never make it past like episode 6, so I'll power through this time.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

As an addendum to my prior post, one other thing that the Big Four had was there were legit laugh out loud moments. Good drama has comic relief, and those four brought it in spades. The Pine Barrens. Layne Price beating up Pete Campbell with the Marquis of Queensberry stance. Taking notes on a criminal conspiracy. Badger and Skinny Pete. For me if there’s good humor that breaks the tension it adds to the experience.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Baby Reindeer on Netflix is crazy.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Giff wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:38 pm Baby Reindeer on Netflix is crazy.
My wife and I powered through that last night. I wasn't a big fan of the episode centring on the guy he met at the Fringe, but otherwise very engaging.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We just finished Deadloch on Prime video. Australian comedic murder mystery series. Female showrunners and the main characters are a lesbian couple and an odd woman cop, so it’s fairly female-oriented. But even an old philistine such as myself enjoyed it. First couple episodes were a bit chaotic, with lots of different characters, but it got better as it progressed. Lots of good reviews.