The WWLIS Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: The WWLIS Thread

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Ryan wrote:Stop describing me
"Jeopardy guy" was a much better disguise for being Simmons in the Swamp. Three (?) other posters have been "accused" of being him over the years, so your cover story was genius, as no one would think Simmons was that smart.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It was costumed vigilante. It was always costumed vigilante.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I bet simmons sucks at jeopardy.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Cowturd is done. Finally. He made disparaging comments about baseball players from the Dominican Republic. I'm sure this will go over swimmingly at Fox.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote:Cowturd is done. Finally. He made disparaging comments about baseball players from the Dominican Republic. I'm sure this will go over swimmingly at Fox.
Hell, he's ready for his own show on FoxNews now! Hannity is nervously looking over his shoulder.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Such a bold statement firing a guy with one week to go.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

He worded it poorly but his gist wasn't incorrect. And let's face it, the Americans ain't exactly rocket surgeons either. A pretty high percentage have high school degrees and that's it. Hats not to say they aren't smart, but it is to say heir educations are limited. And they don't need to know calculus to do their jobs and people like us with degrees still want to see them play. It's all ok.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd pay a billion dollars for all the southerners justifying/supporting his comments to go to parallel world where the exact same comment is made about them. Because if you look at the education rankings relative to the upper midwest and the coasts, its totally factual!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A_B wrote:He worded it poorly but his gist wasn't incorrect.
His gist was incorrect, racist and ignorant.

His gist was:
“It’s too complex? I’ve never bought into that ‘baseball is too complex.’ Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic."

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

AB, it's the singling out of an entire nation to prove that "gist." Why you'd even go that route is just weird. Other than to put down people for unnecessary reasons. That's a premeditated statement.

The Big Lead's take is good.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

howard wrote:
A_B wrote:He worded it poorly but his gist wasn't incorrect.
His gist was incorrect, racist and ignorant.

His gist was:
“It’s too complex? I’ve never bought into that ‘baseball is too complex.’ Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic."

You see I don't think that was the gist personally. The gist is that baseball doesn't require the smartest people of all time. Yeah the Dominican part was unnessecary. his wording was poor. But you clipped some of the context out as well.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote:AB, it's the singling out of an entire nation to prove that "gist." Why you'd even go that route is just weird. Other than to put down people for unnecessary reasons. That's a premeditated statement.

The Big Lead's take is good.

Absolutely. You got my point. I agree saying Dominicans was across the line. Would anyone care that much if he just said baseball players are not the smartest? Or would you go... Yeah he's probably right. A lot don't have anything past a high school education.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The point is not the complexity of baseball.

The point is his characterization of Dominican people. That is why he was yanked off the air, not his erudite deconstruction of the lack of complexity of baseball.

That is the gist.

Please, insert the pertinent context which I omitted.

One more thing.
A_B wrote:I agree saying Dominicans was across the line.
The line, which he crossed, is the line of ignorance and racism. He doesn't say that, we are not having this discussion. That is the whole gist.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

THats not the gist of the segment he was presenting. He WAS talking about how non complex baseball is. That was his point and he expressed it terribly. He part you left out was that he was saying Dominicans don't have word class educational facilities. Would you dispute that?

Look, he shouldn't have said what he did about Dominicans. I think im arguing a different point here, and I think johnnie at least saw that. But I'm certainly not gonna argue it anymore tonight. Here's bourbon to drink.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote:It was costumed vigilante. It was always costumed vigilante.
Man I forgot about that guy. He was entertaining. Who was it that he always bickered with?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The point you are arguing is that the slur he uttered is not relevant, or even important. That the 'gist' of the incident is his discussion of the complexity of baseball.

This is incorrect.

The gist is his racist, ignorant slur. Your argument seeks to deny this.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Oh, the part I left out, is his lame, failed attempt to justify his racist, ignorant slur.

Please, go ahead and post that, and explain it differently.

ETA: sorry, didn't notice AB signed off. I too will sign off with this.

Minimizing racism, and denial of racism expressed in a manner such as this is a common reaction. Racism is uncomfortable. However such minimizing and denial is dangerous, it perpetuates the problem, and it really pisses me off, having had to deal with it my entire life.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B wrote:THats not the gist of the segment he was presenting. He WAS talking about how non complex baseball is. That was his point and he expressed it terribly. He part you left out was that he was saying Dominicans don't have word class educational facilities. Would you dispute that?
In the same segment, he talked about how no fan could diagram an NFL play. I'm sure NFL players are products of a wonderful education.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Hold on, I thought he said no SPORTSWRITERS could diagram an NFL play. We all agree that's probably true, right?

So I went back and read the stuff I wrote and the stuff colin said, and like I said I was arguing something different, but yes, absolutely what he was was racist and ignorant. I'm not really sure why I was so into that argument, because I really don't feel that strongly about this (I do know, and so do you). He, as a radio personality, made statements that were racially insensitive, whether he meant to or not it happened and he should have known better.

Anyway, my bad, dudes.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I think Cowturd knew that he stepped in it almost immediately and then started with the "They don't have the same educational opportunities as we do" shit to cover his ass.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:I think Cowturd knew that he stepped in it almost immediately and then started with the "They don't have the same educational opportunities as we do" shit to cover his ass.

Yeah, he apologized about as fast as possible, but still too late.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

no worries, AB. I also apologize; my tone was unnecessarily (for this venue) harsh. Sorry.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

wtf?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I don't remember learning baseball in school. And in the complex NFL, most of the players come from the hood.

You learn baseball at baseball school, and that's pretty much all they do.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

When did the late Sportscenter become so completely unwatchable? I flipped it on last night for something to watch while I folded laundry, and they were doing the "Top 10" segement...and were pushing for people to vote between 2 plays on twitter...and then they went into a segment of Dancing Highlights...seriously, people dancing around, like in the stands at a Giants game...some big offensive lineman dancing with cheerleaders...and 4 dudes dancing around in leotards that looked like it was from a wedding rehearsal dinner or something. I mean...I know that its the Dog Days of August, but this went on for at least 5 minutes.

I finally gave up, and flipped to FXX and caught the "Frank Grimes" episode of The Simpsons...Good Ol' Grimey...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

ENTERTAINMENT and Sports Programming Network.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote:ENTERTAINMENT and Sports Programming Network.
That's part of the reason they're going to broadcast Sports Center from the WWE SummerSlam PPV this Sunday. Well, that and money.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:When did the late Sportscenter become so completely unwatchable?

About the time they brought in Stuart Scott. BOOYAH! (May he rest in peace).
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I was out of town over the weekend and flipped on SportsCenter for the first time in ages when I got back from the Astros game and thought it was surprisingly decent. They had a lot of baseball highlights.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Got stuck watching Highly Questionable today (long story) and it's possibly the worst show I've ever seen on ESPN (which hopefully goes without saying is saying something).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I mean ... Schilling can't stay employed after this one, right?

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Schilling's post is 10 times worse than Cowherd's comments about Dominicans that got him taken off the air. I know Cowherd had already decided to move to Fox, but that wasn't part of ESPN's stated rationale for taking action against him. It would be extremely hypocritical on ESPN's part if Schilling isn't given, at a minimum, a lengthy suspension. Then again, Muslims are by far the most despised and maligned group in American society. People routinely are given a pass for saying derogatory things about Muslims that would never be tolerated if directed against any other group.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote:Schilling's post is 10 times worse than Cowherd's comments about Dominicans that got him taken off the air. I know Cowherd had already decided to move to Fox, but that wasn't part of ESPN's stated rationale for taking action against him. It would be extremely hypocritical on ESPN's part if Schilling isn't given, at a minimum, a lengthy suspension. Then again, Muslims are by far the most despised and maligned group in American society. People routinely are given a pass for saying derogatory things about Muslims that would never be tolerated if directed against any other group.

This. The only difference is that I won't even try to defend the Schill.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Joe K wrote:People routinely are given a pass for saying derogatory things about Muslims that would never be tolerated if directed against any other group.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Also, if you take the comment even on its face it's ridiculous. I think there's about 10-15 million Muslims in the U.S., give or take. If even 5 percent of those consider themselves "extremist" that's about 750,000 people. Assuming even only .1 percent of those would have the balls to commit an act of terror, that's still close to 3,000. There would be a suicide bombing somewhere at least every week if not more.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:Also, if you take the comment even on its face it's ridiculous. I think there's about 10-15 million Muslims in the U.S., give or take. If even 5 percent of those consider themselves "extremist" that's about 750,000 people. Assuming even only .1 percent of those would have the balls to commit an act of terror, that's still close to 3,000. There would be a suicide bombing somewhere at least every week if not more.

Eh. I think the pockets of extremists are more densely populated in non-US areas, which might bring the percentages up overall but not in the US. And I don't think Curt intended on using any kind of context, because that wouldn't have helped his point any.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:
brian wrote:Also, if you take the comment even on its face it's ridiculous. I think there's about 10-15 million Muslims in the U.S., give or take. If even 5 percent of those consider themselves "extremist" that's about 750,000 people. Assuming even only .1 percent of those would have the balls to commit an act of terror, that's still close to 3,000. There would be a suicide bombing somewhere at least every week if not more.

Eh. I think the pockets of extremists are more densely populated in non-US areas, which might bring the percentages up overall but not in the US. And I don't think Curt intended on using any kind of context, because that wouldn't have helped his point any.
Of course, granted. But to turn that around on you, if the U.S. is the enemy of Islam, the Great Satan, etc. shouldn't the Muslims living here hate the U.S. even more than some sand farmer in Yemen. (I get that's not the reality for a variety of reasons, but it's also not a ridiculous idea.)

I suspect the reality is that the number of extremist Muslims is probably about the same as the number of extremist Christians or any other religious group. Sadly, in the United States at least the average American is probably more in danger from an extremist Christian than a Muslim.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

brian wrote:There would be a suicide bombing somewhere at least every week if not more.
This is an extremely important fact, ignored by many. But far more people are simply ignorant of this fact.

People even believe that our security services are keeping thousands of otherwise would-be terrorists at bay, rather than the truth that there aren't thousands of would-be terrorists in our country.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Area Man Retweets Meme, Public Expects Thought Behind It
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The