Mr. DSG Goes to Washington

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Mr. DSG Goes to Washington

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Only posting this because I'll have a Saturday night and Sunday off with my car.

Of course, that Sunday is Father's Day.

So.....
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Mr. DSG Goes to Washington

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pretty sure I am around
DC hosts Inter Miami at 8 on the 19th
Also looks like a double header for the Nats that weekend on Saturday and a game on Sunday versus the Mets
Lots of good outdoor beer garden option
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:51 am Only posting this because I'll have a Saturday night and Sunday off with my car.

Of course, that Sunday is Father's Day.

So.....
Nats have a day/night DH against the Mets on the 19th - nite part is at 6:05 it looks like. Orioles home against Blue Jays but first pitch is at 4.

I am pretty wide open - could come down to DC and meet up for a game or drinks/dinner etc.
Last edited by tennbengal on Wed May 26, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm down to clown.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Had I known there would be any interest, I would have noted that I will probably not be free until 7pm on that Saturday (our schedule lists our work day ending then, but I may be able to finagle a little wiggle room).

At this point, my schedule is a little forgiving on some evenings during both weeks, though. I head down on Monday, the 14th, and will be heading home on Saturday, the 26th. Friday the 25th is a solid option for dinner/evening events, as well.

My hotel is by the convention center (9th/L NW).
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

at that point, WLU's suggestion of DC United/Inter Milan is a possibility maybe? I have not looked into tix since they went to their new place - not sure if Covid minimums in seating cross that out.

Coming down and finding one of the aforementioned beer gardens would be fun, if you have time.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I am not a soccer guy, but beer garden (and soccer on TV) works for me.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Bump, as I am now in town.

Lunch with Kranepool tomorrow, so I am excited to play some Gunpowder Jones at the restaurant.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Tell Kranepool to visit the Swamp a bit more often.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

May be dropping my daughter off at my sister's house on Wed evening in the city. Could try to track you down. Trying to figure out if my son wants to see DC United on Saturday night. If he is not interested I am likely wide open.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:06 pm May be dropping my daughter off at my sister's house on Wed evening in the city. Could try to track you down. Trying to figure out if my son wants to see DC United on Saturday night. If he is not interested I am likely wide open.
We are supposed to finish at 7pm Wednesday, but after checking our schedule, I could walk earlier than that, if it helps.

I also got to watch a 35-minute long video about our COVID procedures that, to the best of my recollection, never once used any variant of the word "vaccine". It did, however, beat into the ground that anything we pick up outside of our hotel, we are bringing into it. Of course, the hotel does not require vaccinated guests to wear masks (which is strange on its own).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Of everywhere we’ve been since 6/1 literally the only non-federal place (ie airport, planes) that has required a mask is our hotel in Nashville which is a bone of contention among many of these Southern Baptist convention guests I can assure you.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Saturday is the "if necessary" Game 7 of Bucks-Nets, should that be of any interest for a potential evening gathering. Time is obviously not set, but with TNT airing it and its status as the only game that day, I can't imagine they'd stick it in the afternoon. An 8:30 start, like last night and Thursday night's game on ESPN, sounds right.

TB-Isles at 8pm, as well.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:46 am Saturday is the "if necessary" Game 7 of Bucks-Nets, should that be of any interest for a potential evening gathering. Time is obviously not set, but with TNT airing it and its status as the only game that day, I can't imagine they'd stick it in the afternoon. An 8:30 start, like last night and Thursday night's game on ESPN, sounds right.

Still a tentative yes from me. Just need to know where and when.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:30 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:46 am Saturday is the "if necessary" Game 7 of Bucks-Nets, should that be of any interest for a potential evening gathering. Time is obviously not set, but with TNT airing it and its status as the only game that day, I can't imagine they'd stick it in the afternoon. An 8:30 start, like last night and Thursday night's game on ESPN, sounds right.

Well i'd be tentative too if I had no details!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:30 am

I feel leaving it up to the more local folks makes sense than to let me pick. Happy to drive out of the city if it is more convenient for everyone.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

and yadda yadda yadda - that's how we ended up playing SkeeBall at the Dave & Buster's at Arundel Mills...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:43 am and yadda yadda yadda - that's how we ended up playing SkeeBall at the Dave & Buster's at Arundel Mills...
Legit loud LOL over here.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:43 am and yadda yadda yadda - that's how we ended up playing SkeeBall at the Dave & Buster's at Arundel Mills...
Well, I am due for my "every eight years and one month trip to D&B's in a town that starts with an O", but unfortunately, Owings Mills is lacking, so fuck 'em.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Fair. I am hoping nonlinear or wlu can suggest a place in DC to meet - I have not really been to DC since the pandemic and don’t know what is open and what is good etc
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My son wrecking havoc with my schedule. He was not going to play a soccer tournament this weekend but then changed his mind and is now a maybe if the original roster can be updated due to a few injuries. As for locations....Southwest Waterfront is high on my list these days. It will be busy because the Nats are home and DC..but

Bardo's has some great history in Arlington/DC. They are now a big lot serving from a shipping container. Lots of other options in that part of DC now.
http://www.bardo.beer/
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So... Having come back from vacay, things have gotten a little more complicated for me. Main thing is that I'm On Call through next Wed, which just means it's more difficult for me to schedule things. I also have a graduation party to attend on Sat nite, so that's a no go for me. Frankly, would be a lot easier to pull a happy hour during the week next week, but obviously I'm not the key cog in this thing so...

Now, as for venue... Tough thing about the Convention Center area is that most of the bars I'm familiar with don't have outdoor seating. There might be some newer places that have sprung up, but I'm a Suburb Boy these days, so I'm not totally dialed.

WITH THAT SAID, a really cool spot that has plenty of outdoor space is Union Market. Really cool food and drink options and tons of outdoor area: https://unionmarketdc.com/retailer/the-rooftop/

The other spot I can vouch for is Bluejacket Brewery: https://bluejacketdc.com/
Tremendous beer/food selection and bit more of a traditional beer garden type vibe.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I would rather not have to get near the Nats park if they are in town, all things being equal. The Blue Jacket Brewery suggestion looks good to me - is that away from the immediate vicinity of Nats park? I would be happy to meet you there, Dsafe.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:45 amI would rather not have to get near the Nats park if they are in town, all things being equal.
Said everyone!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's actually a good point, parking is a PITA down there and Saturday is a day/night DH with the Mets. Union Market, you can always find parking in the adjacent hood, across from Galludet.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Union Market looks fine too. DSafe, your call. Is that the spot? What time?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

If you guys have a preference, please say so.

As for me, it seems like Union Market is the better of the two options to get away from the Nats. Last Call (a dive a couple short blocks from the rooftop at corner of 4th NE and Neal Pl) looked appealing to me, but that's because I am a degenerate. If the Bucks-Nets do not go to seven, I'm less attached to there/televised sports (I didn't see any TVs at the rooftop).

We're theoretically working until 7pm, so meet at 8pm? That said, I can't imagine I'll do anything other than drop my bag and head that way, so I expect to be early.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Let's try Union Market at 8. if it crazy crowded or whatever, we can always find someplace near there. I will DM you my cell.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:02 pm Let's try Union Market at 8. if it crazy crowded or whatever, we can always find someplace near there. I will DM you my cell.
Replied with my cell.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear and wlu, next Friday, I could definitely do a happy hour get-together, if you guys are free and interested. No pressure, just that's the sole option unless happy hour starts at 7:30 (expecting Father's Day is off the table entirely).
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:13 pm Nonlinear and wlu, next Friday, I could definitely do a happy hour get-together, if you guys are free and interested. No pressure, just that's the sole option unless happy hour starts at 7:30 (expecting Father's Day is off the table entirely).
That may work. My son has expressed a desire to hit the DC United game this Saturday at 8 so I am out, but like the idea of next Friday.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Not sure if anything changes for you due to the weather forecast for this evening, wlu, but Bengal and I may be doing a change of venue. If you end up free and want to join us, just shoot me a text at:

three
forty-nine
seven
Uno
seven
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If anyone needs me to post that in more standard phone number format, just let me know.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:50 am If anyone needs me to post that in more standard phone number format, just let me know.
I was following along ok until he started throwing in foreign languages
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:26 am Uno
That’s evil.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Sabo wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:30 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:26 am Uno
That’s evil.
Thank you for this.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

For anyone local whose plans change and wants to come - looks like we are going here in Glenmont/Silver Spring:

https://www.stainedglasspub.net/
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:50 am If anyone needs me to post that in more standard phone number format, just let me know.
Should have just linked it.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:53 am
I was following along ok until he started throwing in foreign languages
Did you delete me from your phone?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:27 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:13 pm Nonlinear and wlu, next Friday, I could definitely do a happy hour get-together, if you guys are free and interested. No pressure, just that's the sole option unless happy hour starts at 7:30 (expecting Father's Day is off the table entirely).
That may work. My son has expressed a desire to hit the DC United game this Saturday at 8 so I am out, but like the idea of next Friday.
Bump. Tentative dinner plans with another friend tomorrow night (no time set), but happy hour?