Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines! What a great place it’s a great place to start!

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines! What a great place it’s a great place to start!

Post by The Sybian »

I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about, but it seems more dangerous to eject from the ground than to stay with the plane there. Lucky he didn't launch himself onto the highway.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines! What a great place it’s a great place to start!

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:13 pm I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about, but it seems more dangerous to eject from the ground than to stay with the plane there. Lucky he didn't launch himself onto the highway.
Gonna go out on a (probably broken limb) and say I bet he didn’t eject on purpose…
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

JRB Ft. Worth is where my Dad and his friend pulled a pretty funny prank on me when I was like 9. We were driving somewhere and I see this plane descending, but I know we're nowhere near DFW. So I point that out and they both start going "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD THAT PLANE IS ABOUT TO CRASH THIS IS HORRIBLE!!!!!" which freaked me out until they started laughing while letting me know about the existence of the airfield.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

25% of the reason to have kids is for shit like that.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:02 pm 25% of the reason to have kids is for shit like that.
Yep, and it gets more fun to embarrass them when they are teenagers.

My father loved to pull stuff like that with his mother. Driving past McGuire AFB they saw a plane landing. He convinced her it wasn’t real, it was a top secret program, planes weren’t real. Confused her for years.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:00 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:02 pm 25% of the reason to have kids is for shit like that.
Yep, and it gets more fun to embarrass them when they are teenagers.

My father loved to pull stuff like that with his mother. Driving past McGuire AFB they saw a plane landing. He convinced her it wasn’t real, it was a top secret program, planes weren’t real. Confused her for years.
You’re thinking of birds.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Really don't know what to make of the Senate going veto-proof majority on the NDAA which has an amendment to rescind the COVID vaccination mandate.

Really gives fuel to all the assholes that held out and relied on throwing a temper tantrum and getting religious exemptions to stay in. There were a great deal of people who actually got the boot for failing to follow orders. It was just one more vaccination amongst the two dozen other ones that no one seems to care about, but political points win. And it also gives fuel to the 'woke military' narrative too. Very frustrating.

So now because it's such 'must pass' legislation, the billions and billions for defense outweigh the vaccination mandate.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rather than try to explain the timing and logic, the military could adopt a brand new "fuck you, you do whatever we tell you" stance?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:59 am Really don't know what to make of the Senate going veto-proof majority on the NDAA which has an amendment to rescind the COVID vaccination mandate.

Really gives fuel to all the assholes that held out and relied on throwing a temper tantrum and getting religious exemptions to stay in. There were a great deal of people who actually got the boot for failing to follow orders. It was just one more vaccination amongst the two dozen other ones that no one seems to care about, but political points win. And it also gives fuel to the 'woke military' narrative too. Very frustrating.

So now because it's such 'must pass' legislation, the billions and billions for defense outweigh the vaccination mandate.
I dunno. Do we want to give the military the power to order soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines to do things that might risk their personal safety?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, one thing that'll supercede our government's choice to rescind this mandate is that if people are going to overseas locations there will be country specific rules that forbid entry without vaccination.

So there will still be ways that people will get told to follow orders.

And if you notice, the was no additional amendment to let people back in that were forced to separate because of their stupid politics. Which tells me that it was a secret force shaping measure more than anything.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Apparently, after a report was commissioned by the Marine Corps from the University of Pittsburgh, there's some push to remove 'sir' and 'ma'am' from being used in basic training in favor of rank and last name.

I personally couldn't care less and I'm sure there's more to the story because the report is 738 freaking pages long.

But this boomer former Marine is BIG MAD.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This guy's social media account absolutely nails it when it comes to military life and logic:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Fucking horseshit.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is what qualifies for "leadership" in the military today.

And why I said "Patriotism doesn't pay the bills" in my retirement speech.

Actual quote:
“Your bonus is that you get to call yourself a Marine,” Smith said. “That’s your bonus … there’s no dollar amount that goes with that.”
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The head on that guy!
Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Imagine being told you cannot ingest a legal substance because the drug testing process pops false positives.

This is such bullshit and why not being in feels so good.

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

(Tell us you didn't watch Seinfeld without telling us.)
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

OTOH, giving up poppy seeds isn't all that big a sacrifice.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:52 am (Tell us you didn't watch Seinfeld without telling us.)
Didn't a swamper get popped (ha!) for that way back in the day too? Or maybe just told the story, I suppose.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There's some bread that I assume is polish that's a sweeter bread that's spread with poppy seeds then rolled up and baked and even the meh versions are still pretty good. I need to look this up now and see how hard it is to make.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ukranian, not polish. There's a polish version but its a lot more dessert-y and this picture is what I was thinking.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:08 am OTOH, giving up poppy seeds isn't all that big a sacrifice.
I mean, that's not the point, but ok.

The DoD has the same boogeyman in THC. Hemp items are legal so therefore since they are both from from that evil, evil plant, all hemp products are off limits because there might be contamination.

They just don't want a person to use drugs in the military and go "I just had a poppy seed bagel/hemp protein!" because it can mask actual drug use.

Caffeine and nicotine though... Totally fine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:26 am Ukranian, not polish. There's a polish version but its a lot more dessert-y and this picture is what I was thinking.
That looks almost exactly like something one of my grandmothers (Eastern European, but not Ukrainian or Polish) used to make, except I don't think there were poppy seeds, just more nuts? Always used to have it around the holidays, but haven't thought about it in years. I just checked and I don't seem to have the recipe, need to ask my mom or sister.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Oh, I’ve had that poppy seed roll before, either from Barth’s or a bakery in Clifton. It was really fucking good.

Johnnie, I was just joking. Military is clearly trying to make shit easier for themselves, this way they don’t need to determine if someone used an illegal drug or just ate poppyseeds, now they can punish you for disobeying and eating harmless seeds. Yeah, it’s bullshit, but isn’t almost everything in the military?
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Mom found the recipe.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Post that shit.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:27 pmJohnnie, I was just joking. Military is clearly trying to make shit easier for themselves, this way they don’t need to determine if someone used an illegal drug or just ate poppyseeds, now they can punish you for disobeying and eating harmless seeds. Yeah, it’s bullshit, but isn’t almost everything in the military?
You gotta post in orange!

And yes. So much stuff is absolutely bullshit. It's why I'm happy to be done with it all.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:02 pm Post that shit.
Baker beware, I'm posting this without trying it myself first, and if my mom ever made these it's been years and years.

GRANDMA {rass}'s NUT ROLL
(Makes 6 yummy rolls)

INGREDIENTS:
Dough:
6 C flour
2 eggs
1 C Crisco
1 C milk
1 Tsp salt
6 Tbl sugar
31/2 Tsp yeast dissolved in 1 C warm water*

Filling:
4 lbs. nuts {rass note - pretty sure my grandma used walnuts but almonds or pecans might work, too?}
4 Tbl butter, melted
8 eggs
4 1/2 C sugar
4 Tsp vanilla
1 C milk
Mix well. May need more milk. Set aside.

DIRECTIONS:
Make sure yeast is totally dissolved.*
Mix all dough ingredients but flour.
Add flour and mix.
Divide into 6 balls.
Roll one out to a rough rectangle.
Evenly spread 1/6 of filling and roll into a roll. Repeat with the other 5 dough balls.
Let rise ½ to 1 hour after filled.

Then bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes.

MOM NOTES:
-Recipe calls for ½ cake of yeast. 3 ½ tsp is a close equivalent. That’s 1 ½ packs of yeast. Each pack of yeast is 2 ¼ tsp.
-The dough should be rolled fairly thin.
-The nuts are chopped fairly fine. It might be easier to use “nutmeal”. {rass note - my recall is the filling was very fine so "nutmeal" is probably what I'll use if/when I try this?}

*If you use instant yeast you don't need to dissolve it first, just mix with other dry ingredients and then add the water.

If wrapped well, these will freeze well for a couple months, so you might as well make the whole recipe. ☺
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The CBO is really out here coming up with ideas to save money which would royally fuck over veterans.

Luckily, they are just ideas and not actionable legislation.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnnie...you need a better PR firm
https://www.businessinsider.com/usaf-ca ... rks-2023-3
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yea, no shit. That was the most sanitized, kid gloves account of being an aircraft maintainer I've ever read. Lame.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The WaPo Editorial Board is a bunch of fucking cunts.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My hometown is in the news!

U.S. military apologizes after special forces detain wrong guest in mock hotel raid

I mean the guy they accidentally apprehended was Delta*.

*A pilot for
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Revere Hotel not in Revere at all. If it were Revere the commotion would have somehow started a 3 alarm blaze.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:05 pm Revere Hotel not in Revere at all. If it were Revere the commotion would have somehow started a 3 alarm blaze.
D'oh Jeeee-zuss. /Bill Burr voice

My dumbass thought that they just didn't name the hotel at all in Revere.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I still follow Air Force people on social media because it's amusing being on the outside looking in.

Here's what generalized corporate-speak looks like first hand:

I know people in uniform cannot call out elected politicians, but I can assure you that the nebulous 'Standards Matter' rhetoric is far, far down the list of importance to maintaining superior airpower compared to what Tommy Tuberville is directly doing to over 200 military promotions right now. (Including the promotion of the current AF Chief of Staff to Chairman of the Hunt e Chiefs.)

So the easy thing to do is blame the people beneath you in the chain of command.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wifi password at the beach house is

Sargentsemperfi
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:16 pm Wifi password at the beach house is

Sargentsemperfi
Was sergeant really misspelled?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Or it’s a last name and it isn’t but I spelled the password correctly so not sure