Ask BSF (or Jeeves) how to protect my dome

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Ask BSF (or Jeeves) how to protect my dome

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BSF or other ice hockey folks....
I am officiating some pretty high level box lacrosse this winter. In the past I have just put some gel in my hair so I looked put together. But now everyone is recommending a helmet. Helmets for box lacrosse are hockey helmets with a visor so you don't take a ball to the eye socket.

Can get a Bauer IMS 5.0 and there are a variety of Ronin visors on amazon.

Don't need top of the line just trying to not have some player send me to the ER with bad shooting or an out of control stick.
BSF21
The Dude

Re: Ask BSF (or Jeeves) how to protect my dome

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:30 pm BSF or other ice hockey folks....
I am officiating some pretty high level box lacrosse this winter. In the past I have just put some gel in my hair so I looked put together. But now everyone is recommending a helmet. Helmets for box lacrosse are hockey helmets with a visor so you don't take a ball to the eye socket.

Don't need top of the line just trying to not have some player send me to the ER with bad shooting or an out of control stick.
How close are you to the action as a ref? I wear a CCM mid level helmet with a full cage but I could see that being problematic for a ref and vision. If your jawline isn’t at risk from a rogue stick or ball then a normal level helmet with a visor is fine. If you’re concerned you may want to look into a full bubble or a visor with a cage bottom around your jawline.

Played in a tournament 2 weekends ago at a C level and game one some pat kane wannabe hotshot took a clapper off the neck/jaw. Flayed himself wide open and broke his jaw. More protection is always better as long as you can see clearly.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:58 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:30 pm BSF or other ice hockey folks....

How close are you to the action as a ref? I wear a CCM mid level helmet with a full cage but I could see that being problematic for a ref and vision. If your jawline isn’t at risk from a rogue stick or ball then a normal level helmet with a visor is fine. If you’re concerned you may want to look into a full bubble or a visor with a cage bottom around your jawline.

Played in a tournament 2 weekends ago at a C level and game one some pat kane wannabe hotshot took a clapper off the neck/jaw. Flayed himself wide open and broke his jaw. More protection is always better as long as you can see clearly.
Instructions for putting a visor on a helmet are garbage. Have a feeling I am going to go out on the field and have folks make fun of me for installing it incorrect (leave some piece off that should have stayed on or vice-versa).
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Did you IMS come with a cage or something? Should be a pretty simple 2 screws at the forehead style and just line it up so it catches the stops at the temples when you buckle it.

Text me if you want some photos of how mine looks if that helps.

Go ahead and ... that one
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."