The Official Mass Produced Seltzer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: The Official Mass Produced Seltzer Thread

Post by govmentchedda »

Oh fuck off
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

If you live in New England and aren't drinking an above-ground pool's worth of this each year, you're doing it wrong:

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Did a big discussion board for my marketing class on alcoholic seltzer drinks. White Claw and Truly nailed the market on this early. And now it's so supersaturated with brands that junk like this has to be tried to remain relevant.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don’t know how wide they distribute it but they do out to Vegas, so….by far the best seltzer I’ve had is the Founders Mas Agave.

amomg the mass produced it goes like this for me:

Michelob Ultra (surprisingly good!)
White Claw (most flavors)
Bon & Viv
Truly
10 tons of dogshit
Coors Light Seltzer
….
More dogshit
Bud Light Seltzer

Oh and I had the Natty Light Seltzer one at the actual A/B brewery and it wasn’t too bad surprisingly but that could have been from freshness.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

1. Polar
2. Good n Gather (Target)
3. Waterloo
4. Trader Joe’s
5. Getting chopped into bits by fan blades
6. La Croix
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

My brewery founder friend was telling me that it's not only ridiculously popular, but it's very easy and fast to make, so everyone is trying to jump into the game.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Topo Chico here. Prefer the unflavored, but the "hint of" ones will do as well.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Ryan wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:40 pm 1. Polar
2. Good n Gather (Target)
3. Waterloo
4. Trader Joe’s
5. Getting chopped into bits by fan blades
6. La Croix
I think I tried La Croix once and didn't get the appeal at all. It tasted like the liquid state of Jello before it coagulates. The appeal of seltzer for me is that it's just slightly more than drinking plain water while being much "lighter" than soda.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Johnny ain't lying. I've put flats of that stuff in the trunk on the way back south.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I never saw La Croix until I moved to Colorado and then I was in a meeting and asked for a 'la kwah' and everyone looked at me like I was nuts.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:07 pm If you live in New England and aren't drinking an above-ground pool's worth of this each year, you're doing it wrong:

Besides friends and family, the thing I miss most about not living in NE is their Orange Dry and Birch Beer.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I'm not much of a fan, but the best I've had was a ginger one that we had in Hawai'i (tasted like a light ginger beer.) I also like Upslope's (Boulder brewery) they have a hopped one that's like a super light pale.

My wife is a big fan of the Kirkland branded ones, no idea who actually makes them.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My favorite brand is from St. John Brewery in the USVI... awesome island flavors like Hibiscus and shit like that.

Truly has a subset that is Tropical flavors, so that kind of works as a substitute for me. I like hard seltzers when I'm day drinking or trying to keep my wits about me (DnD nights, for example.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

The closest beer store is pretty small, so there's not a huge selection. I was disappointed when I went there earlier this summer, and one of the few aisles devoted to craft was given to seltzer. But I went back last week, and that insanity seems to be over.

I've never had a seltzer, but that might change soon. I usually grab a few outdated beers from Closest Beer Store's dollar rack. Picked up some Platform beers this time. And? Four Loko Seltzer! Yeah, I'm going to regret this. Or, more likely, I'll just hide them in the back of my fridge for a few months and forget about them.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Alcoholic seltzers do the same job that macro light beers do.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nephew of a good friend of mine started a hard seltzer company just a few years ago. It did well enough that he and is partner sold it last year for somewhere around $50 million.

Not bad for a kid in his late 20s.

https://www.cottagesprings.ca/
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Look at Romero getting this thread in just before SNL officially made it cliche:

I haven't exhaustedly sampled, but I've settled on Spindrift (thanks Swamp) for regular seltzer and High Noon for alcoholic.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:40 pm5. Getting chopped into bits by fan blades
6. La Croix
This part is definitely right. La Croix is horribly sweet / fake tasting.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

spindrift ftw
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also yes on this one, although I can't find the cucumber flavor anywhere around me. And their design/colors work well for someone who really like things to be uniform.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The maple one was the only undrinkable one tbh.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

I haven't found a seltzer water I've liked. High Noon Seltzer alcohol though is the fizz. It's made with vodka instead of malt so there is more room for sugar/flavoring. Watermelon is solid.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Never had a hard seltzer. I've tried La Croix a few times and thought it was awful. It's only slightly better than sparkling water which is also awful.

Is hard seltzer better than the non-alcoholic? If not, I don't get why it's blown up so much.

Also, I assume the various beer company seltzers are actually just seltzer, right? They aren't some weird beer variant?
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

If 'seltzer' was punnier there would be a lot of wood signs.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:52 pm Never had a hard seltzer.
My daughter had some Truly seltzer in the house when she was here in the summer, so I tried it.

Not a fan.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Funny timing on this thread, as I tried my first taste, a sip off my wife's hard seltzers. One of the fathers on my daughter's soccer team is Life of the Party Guy. Tournament in VA this weekend. He kept his hotel room door open and had at least 10 cases of various beer and hard seltzers. Any time anyone on the team walked past, he'd yell out to see if they wanted a beer. His wife made him get a White Claw and later "the good stuff." Can't even remember the name of the brand, but it was a sickly sweet watermelon drink. White Claw was ok, but super dangerous for kids because it just doesn't taste like alcohol at all. The watermelon one was much more flavorful. I could see someone liking it, but more like a KoolAid type taste.

For the non-alcoholic side, I started drinking seltzer and almost entirely gave up soda. Just don't like it anymore, but on rare occasion get an urge for a soda.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:37 pm Funny timing on this thread, as I tried my first taste, a sip off my wife's hard seltzers. One of the fathers on my daughter's soccer team is Life of the Party Guy. Tournament in VA this weekend. He kept his hotel room door open and had at least 10 cases of various beer and hard seltzers. Any time anyone on the team walked past, he'd yell out to see if they wanted a beer. His wife made him get a White Claw and later "the good stuff." Can't even remember the name of the brand, but it was a sickly sweet watermelon drink. White Claw was ok, but super dangerous for kids because it just doesn't taste like alcohol at all. The watermelon one was much more flavorful. I could see someone liking it, but more like a KoolAid type taste.

For the non-alcoholic side, I started drinking seltzer and almost entirely gave up soda. Just don't like it anymore, but on rare occasion get an urge for a soda.
For non-alcohol I've started drinking hop tea and hop water...I think it's great and is good to drink when you want to drink beer but don't want to drink beer.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:52 pm Never had a hard seltzer. I've tried La Croix a few times and thought it was awful. It's only slightly better than sparkling water which is also awful.

Is hard seltzer better than the non-alcoholic? If not, I don't get why it's blown up so much.

Also, I assume the various beer company seltzers are actually just seltzer, right? They aren't some weird beer variant?
they took off (in part) because they're the cheap way around the hard liquor rules/tax that a vodka tonic would be subject to

though that was written two years ago by the same guy who wrote this year that grilling is bad, so
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:46 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:37 pm Funny timing on this thread, as I tried my first taste, a sip off my wife's hard seltzers. One of the fathers on my daughter's soccer team is Life of the Party Guy. Tournament in VA this weekend. He kept his hotel room door open and had at least 10 cases of various beer and hard seltzers. Any time anyone on the team walked past, he'd yell out to see if they wanted a beer. His wife made him get a White Claw and later "the good stuff." Can't even remember the name of the brand, but it was a sickly sweet watermelon drink. White Claw was ok, but super dangerous for kids because it just doesn't taste like alcohol at all. The watermelon one was much more flavorful. I could see someone liking it, but more like a KoolAid type taste.

For non-alcohol I've started drinking hop tea and hop water...I think it's great and is good to drink when you want to drink beer but don't want to drink beer.
I've seen ads for Hop Tea on FB, but never tried it. Sounds interesting and I definitely will try one if I ever see it somewhere.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh fuck the new blood orange + tangerine Spindrift is A+.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Really like the pineapple.

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:03 pm Topo Chico here. Prefer the unflavored, but the "hint of" ones will do as well.
Saw this earlier:
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Must be what makes it taste so good. #cantstopwontstop
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:16 pm Must be what makes it taste so good. #ca...t...p...o...op