Fresh New Hell: Spotted Lanternfly edition

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Fresh New Hell: Spotted Lanternfly edition

Post by rass »

Get to know the Spotted Lanternfly!

There have been huge signs up in parks around here for a couple of years at least, and even informational TV ads, but I had never actually seen a live one until this summer. I even said as much during a conversation with serrano back in mid-July, then a week later I saw my first one while out on a run. For a large bug, they move fast and it took 3 or 4 attempts to finally stomp it. By mid-August I saw the first one in my yard. Not long after that our county was officially added to the "quarantine zone."

We went apple picking on Saturday, and while inside the market/bakery I felt something on my neck. I went to scratch and ended up with one of those in my hand. I dropped it and stomped it. Yesterday we were at a soccer game in a county that's had issues for longer than we have (more trees?). I was camping out under a small maple waiting for the rain to stop and looked up and saw this:
SLF.jpg
SLF.jpg (161.94 KiB) Viewed 639 times
They were everywhere in that park, either clinging by the dozens to trees or dead and smooshed on the ground. Our trees are fucked.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Fresh New Hell: Spotted Lanternfly edition

Post by L-Jam3 »

You're just seeing them now? I started seeing them in fall 2019 at my office when I was going to it (adjacent to Villanova).
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I like that they have red on them so when you kill them your 6 year old thinks they're bleeding and feels sad. That definitely helps.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:38 am You're just seeing them now? I started seeing them in fall 2019 at my office when I was going it (adjacent to Villanova).
Around here, yeah. Zero to everywhere in the span of a couple of months. Little fuckers apparently spread here from PA.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:47 am I like that they have red on them so when you kill them your 6 year old thinks they're bleeding and feels sad. That definitely helps.
My wife thinks they're pretty. 15 year old wanted me to explain why their guts are a creamy yellow.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Not in Canada yet.

Keep the border closed!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

rass wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:49 am
mister d wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:47 am I like that they have red on them so when you kill them your 6 year old thinks they're bleeding and feels sad. That definitely helps.
My wife thinks they're pretty. 15 year old wanted me to explain why their guts are a creamy yellow.
I saw very few this year, but 2019 and 2020 they were everywhere. My kids enjoyed "lantern fly hunting" during the pandemic last year. I often had to stop them after stomping 50. They easily had to kill over a thousand last year. There was nary a tree in my neighborhood that didn't have reverse tape on it so they couldn't lay their eggs.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

nothing last summer.. this spring/summer.. every walk with the dogs, body count.. even stomped a few o the small trees(plants), the Tree of Heaven that they seem to like.
but the last last two weeks, nothing.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I would sacrifice a few pomeranians, tbh.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

fuck that guy.

They've arrived at my address. Killed one and a spider got another.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I refuse to accept that he isn't fucking around and either the reporter was in on the joke or actually believed it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I guess getting in the NYT with a quote that would fit in an onion article could be a badge of honor.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And they’ve been a lot more prevalent this year. Haven’t seen an infestation in our trees but seen plenty of individual bugs.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Wait, what the fuck?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

rass wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:08 pm And they’ve been a lot more prevalent this year. Haven’t seen an infestation in our trees but seen plenty of individual bugs.
And with a lack of rain, their sucrose secretions have resulted in the appearance of hard white paint-like specks all over the patio furniture and grills and everything else. Finally stormed today and now they’re all gone. Except for the flies themselves.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

hey y’all cerrano has a jeopardizingly invasive sucrose secretion problem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerranoredux wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:25 pm
rass wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:08 pm And they’ve been a lot more prevalent this year. Haven’t seen an infestation in our trees but seen plenty of individual bugs.
And with a lack of rain, their sucrose secretions have resulted in the appearance of hard white paint-like specks all over the patio furniture and grills and everything else. Finally stormed today and now they’re all gone. Except for the flies themselves.
Interesting... I was thinking there was bizarre bird shit all over my trees, patio, and fence. I've seen a few lantern flies almost every day I go outside, but last year I was seeing 1000s.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

California got 99 problems but Lanternflies ain't one.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian