Colin Powell

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Colin Powell

Post by L-Jam3 »

ETA: Oh fucking great. Apparently he was fully vaccinated. So now the anti-vax shitstains will have another thing to keep flooding the zone with horseshit.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Colin Powell

Post by Johnnie »

"If you want to know what happened in the Persian Gulf, just remember the names of the two men who are running that war. Dick Cheney and Colin Powell. Somebody got fucked in the ass."

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I never knew this until this morning, but he was the top brass who investigated the My Lai massacre, and they found no wrongdoing by American forces. Ok seriously, what the fuck?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:03 am

ETA: Oh fucking great. Apparently he was fully vaccinated. So now the anti-vax shitstains will have another thing to keep flooding the zone with horseshit.
does being vaccinated mean you can't die? I missed that memo...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm reading comments here and there. He apparently had a type of blood cancer that attacked his immune system thereby making vaccines less effective on him. He was also 84.

But as long as we lead the headline with "died of complications of COVID," we know the media is doing a great job.

Also, this is so fucking ridiculous to watch:

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I think Powell was set up as the fall guy or at least used as a pawn. He was given intel pointing to Iraq having WMDs that was proven false and additional intel from a source that was known to be lying to serve his own agenda, and Powell was given the intel and told it was corroborated and reliable. Given the information Powell had, I don't think he did anything wrong here. He had no way of independently verifying the intel cherry picked and put on his desk.

As for Mai Lai Massacre, I had read he was in charge of the investigation. Not a good look there. I have a hard time second guessing anyone's behavior in a war, I have no idea how I would cope or react, but clearly something went wrong, if not on the ground, than at a higher level, someone should have been held accountable.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This should always be the first thing in his legacy:

Yes, he issued many mea culpas afterwards, and left the Republican Party, but him sitting there at the UN saying that Iraq had WMD's is a pretty big blight on his record.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

y this. gross. wrote something like "American troops and Vietnamese people have a great relationship" in his "investigation"
L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:52 am I never knew this until this morning, but he was the top brass who investigated the My Lai massacre, and they found no wrongdoing by American forces. Ok seriously, what the fuck?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:56 am This should always be the first thing in his legacy:

Yes, he issued many mea culpas afterwards, and left the Republican Party, but him sitting there at the UN saying that Iraq had WMD's is a pretty big blight on his record.
The gates of hell opened wide this morning.

Being a well spoken trail blazer doesn't mean that a person isn't also a vile, lying piece of shit.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The former President paid his respects with all the dignity you would expect...

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its probably the best summary any politician has made so far?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, what drives you nuts about your drunk uncle is that he finds moments of lucidity that make you question your entire worldview for a minute or so.

Then he farts out Dixie, grabs your sisters boob and Michigan J Frogs it to the bathroom to vomit up his Scotch.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:01 pm Its probably the best summary any politician has made so far?
It was the 'But anyways' that killed me.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I thought it was fake the first time and laughed.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

He toed the republican line on Iraq to the detriment of his legacy and is still a RINO. Can't catch a break!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:23 am He toed the republican line on Iraq to the detriment of his legacy and is still a RINO. Can't catch a break!
Yep. What I love about Trump's shithattery, he bashes the Republican establishment, and the Republican establishment takes it, while his lifelong Republican supporters cheer for him while he bashes the things they fully supported and defended.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:28 am
P.D.X. wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:23 am He toed the republican line on Iraq to the detriment of his legacy and is still a RINO. Can't catch a break!
Yep. What I love about Trump's shithattery, he bashes the Republican establishment, and the Republican establishment takes it, while his lifelong Republican supporters cheer for him while he bashes the things they fully supported and defended.
Then bend over and yell "Yes, sir may I have another!" over and over again. It would be funny if it wasn't so scary.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:30 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:28 am
Then bend over and yell "Yes, sir may I have another!" over and over again. It would be funny if it wasn't so scary.
People are so fucking stupid. No matter how many times I see it, it's still shocking and scary. Nobody is better at setting up MAGA types better than Jordan Klepper. I don't know how he maintains his sanity going to all these Trump rallies and talking to so many people.

-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I remember listening to a Pod Save America podcast once and I cannot remember who the guest was, but he was a CIA dude who interviewed Khalid Sheik Mohammed in Gitmo.

He was like "How can you say that Islam is a religion of peace when you're using Islam to justify unspeakable atrocities?"

KSM was like "Once all have converted to Islam, then there will be peace."

Same energy from MAGA types.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:21 pm I remember listening to a Pod Save America podcast once and I cannot remember who the guest was, but he was a CIA dude who interviewed Khalid Sheik Mohammed in Gitmo.

He was like "How can you say that Islam is a religion of peace when you're using Islam to justify unspeakable atrocities?"

KSM was like "Once all have converted to Islam, then there will be peace."

Same energy from MAGA types.
I think that was FBI Special Agent Ali Soufan. I wrote my Law School journal note (minimum 30 pages and 100 footnotes, so I resent the term "note") on the use of torture in interrogating terrorists, so I was following this guy's post- FBI media tour. Soufan made huge inroads with KSM by humanizing him, and making KSM see him as his one friend and ally. Little things like bringing him sugar free Middle Eastern cookies (he was diabetic). Soufan was getting a lot of intel, then the CIA took over, started waterboarding and torturing, and while they got more information, most of it was made up or lies because KSM would say shit to make the torture stop, and when he didn't know the answers, he'd make stuff up.

I really wish I had a copy of my note. I have a floppy disk from law school, finally found an old computer with a disk drive, and it wasn't on there. I think I saved it to a DVD, and now I don't have a computer with a disk drive.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That name sounds vaguely familiar.

And that tactic of becoming more humanizing was taught to me in my evasion and conduct after capture class by SERE folks. It actually works.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:39 pm That name sounds vaguely familiar.

And that tactic of becoming more humanizing was taught to me in my evasion and conduct after capture class by SERE folks. It actually works.
Of course it works. Keep someone isolated in solitary for a couple months and they will latch on to anyone who treats them nicely. We are social creatures and are desperate for a connection. You don't have to pretend to agree with them or that you aren't enemies on opposite sides, but treat them like a human and let them know you are a human, and it will almost always work. They know you aren't their friend and don't have their best interest in mind, but they need the connection and will eventually open up. Sitting down with them and sharing a meal that is special to them is the accelerator.

Waterboard someone 150 times and they will lose all faith that you won't kill them if you talk or they will say everything they think will make you stop the torture whether it's true or not. If they are mentally strong enough to resist, they will double down on resisting. If they are weak they will talk, but give less accurate intel. But the macho Conservative types think you need to show them you are a bigger man and beat the info out of people.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:47 pm But the macho Conservative types think you need to show them you are a bigger man and beat the info out of people.
Too many conservative's watched "24" back in the day and thought it was realistic.