Bluetooth Transmitter questions

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Bluetooth Transmitter questions

Post by The Sybian »

My family room TV hangs in an open room with bedrooms above, so when everyone else is sleeping, I have to keep volume super low and I'm sick of it. TV doesn't have built in wifi, so I'm looking into a plug-in wifi transmitter. Anyone have experience with these? It seems many have lag issues where sound is behind the image, which would get annoying. Also various types of hookups, and I can't easily access my ports, as they are flush against the wall. I have an optical digital audio port, and that seems the way to go. Also need to figure out if I can keep the transmitter hidden behind the TV and also plugged into a power source with no wires showing. Way too many options. Also not sure if I need to get better headphones to avoid lag issues, or if that is a transmitter issue.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Re: Bluetooth Transmitter questions

Post by GoodKarma »

Not a direct answer to your question but I've been using RF headphones for over a decade trying to solve a similar issue to yours (wife says TV is always too loud) and they work great. The base plugs into that digital audio port you mentioned.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Of topic but I think I would freak out wearing headphones in a quiet house at night.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:30 pm https://tunity.com/
Amazing app, assuming it works. I can't create a login, getting an SSL error message. After resetting my phone and having to reenter all my wifi passwords, still getting an error. Looks like the problem is with the app. I see people complaining for months that they can't log in due to SSL errors. Got the same message when I turned off wifi and tried my son's phone.

I see this only works for live TV, which is less than 1% of my TV time, so not going to do me much good, but for live TV this could be great. I don't quite understand, but if you scan a tv broadcasting a channel live, it somehow broadcasts audio through your phone. There is a free version and a Pro version for a fee.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

All I got personal experience with is that my roku remote has a headphone jack
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I have Bluetooth speakers that I have "attached" to the receiver so I have speakers on the back wall (also open-air room) I've not listened on headphones as my late-night viewing is in the basement, but I've never experienced lag on those speakers.

I can't recommend a transmitter as mine plugs into a speaker jack, but as long as you don't go super cheap you should be ok.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

I had some many years ago to connect the kids gaming chairs with built in speakers to an old tv. It's been 5+ years and I don't seem them on monoprice anymore. They were cheap. Maybe $20 and worked well. If I was doing it again and with a wall mount. I'd get something like this. It would connect to the L/R audio from your TV and seems to have the adapters you need. You also need to get it power. Range is 33 ft?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

testuser2 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:18 am I had some many years ago to connect the kids gaming chairs with built in speakers to an old tv. It's been 5+ years and I don't seem them on monoprice anymore. They were cheap. Maybe $20 and worked well. If I was doing it again and with a wall mount. I'd get something like this. It would connect to the L/R audio from your TV and seems to have the adapters you need. You also need to get it power. Range is 33 ft?
From what I've read, digital optical output works better, so I'm going with an option for digital optical. I noticed several models require you control volume on the transmitter itself, which would really suck. I ended up going with one that comes with headphones with a volume control on them so I know that'll work. Thanks for the advice.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Just get your TV the same vaccine you got and it should work just fine.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Related question - why can I sometimes listen to Spotify through Bluetooth when scrolling through Twitter and other times, the videos/ads will override Spotify?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Somewhat related question - has anybody used a wireless transmitter on a powered (and wired) subwoofer? I want to put mine clear across the room and I don't really feel like opening up a ton of drywall to run a cord like 30 ft.

Something like this for reference:

This one is half the price and I'm tempted to go cheap wit' it:

This would only be for the subwoofer, speakers arranged so that the wire runs are inconspicuous and even if I wanted to do something else down the line with them they aren't powered so it wouldn't matter.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse