Thanksgiving 2021

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Thanksgiving 2021

Post by A_B »

Guess who just found out his water pump has to be replaced while he was in Boston?!?!?

Have a great thanksgiving, hookers!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Thanksgiving 2021

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:33 am Guess who just found out his water pump has to be replaced while he was in Boston?!?!?

Ouch...not good!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry man. If you keep an open mind I think you'll find that a roasted turkey is almost as good as a boiled one, so this isn't a complete disaster.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I remember spending Thanksgiving a few years ago watching a Magnus Carlsen chess match. So now I associate this time of the year with him. Just looked him up. He's still world champion, and he's defending his title for the first time in three years. Unfortunately, the 14-game match doesn't begin until Friday. And it's in Dubai, so I won't be able to attend.

Happy Carlsengiving, Swamp.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We're sticking around in JERSEY this week, just my wife and the kids for dinner. We don't want to board our ancient dog, and my sister has two large dogs that couldn't really work in our house. Picking up a fresh/locally sourced turkey this afternoon, the first time doing that. We invited the nice Canadian family down the street (who my oldest babysits for) to come over for dessert and drinks tomorrow evening.

Since we're staying local I signed up for my first ever turkey trot tomorrow morning. A 5K in the parking lot of a huge mall right off the Garden State Parkway. Very, very JERSEY.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice! Doing an 8k turkey gobble here and looking to best my 8k time from two weeks ago but the course and starting time for the 8k, 5k, and 1 mile fun run all start and end at the same spot. Could be too many obstacles for a PR. Staying local, and no one is in from out of town. Everyone's fully vaxxed except the 7 yo who gets shot #2 on Monday, many are boosted. Oiler and wife and new kid are stopping by for after dinner shenanigans which will likely involve brown drink, the Egg Bowl, and slacklining in the backyard.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You killed it in that 8K a couple of weeks ago.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Many thanks. Didn't realize it at the time, but I ran most of the race with the founder of Oiselle.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:33 am Guess who just found out his water pump has to be replaced while he was in Boston?!?!?

If you're still in the area, I know a good mechanic, Thanksgiving morning run, and brewery.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Two years ago I deployed short notice to Saudi Arabia and lost out on Thanksgiving. Last year I short notice moved to Korea and lost out on Thanksgiving. This year there a short notice deployment for a unit on base and it's possible I lose it on Thanksgiving this year.

Needles to say, holidays have lost all meaning to me and I just want a day off every once in a while.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Going to the Timbers:Rapids playoff match. Pretty stoked.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Getting up early to make 10 lbs of garlic and chives mashed potatoes, and then a quick run. I have my kids this cycle, so it’s a jaunt up there and then to my parents in South Jersey. Karaoke and chess pre-dinner, then dessert is a 50th birthday cake for the better half. Then either Werewolf or Spy Hunter (basically the drinking game Drug Dealer sans drank).
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:31 am

If you're still in the area, I know a good mechanic, Thanksgiving morning run, and brewery.
I’m here but vehicle is currently being repaired. I don’t run. And I’m not thirsty.

I mean. I am thirsty. But I’ve been off the sauce for 45 days. Having some health issues and trying to figure those out. So maybe if they have n/a options?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:25 pm
EdRomero wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:31 am

I’m here but vehicle is currently being repaired. I don’t run. And I’m not thirsty.

I mean. I am thirsty. But I’ve been off the sauce for 45 days. Having some health issues and trying to figure those out. So maybe if they have n/a options?
It's pretty much just running and beer (and Bloody Mary's tomorow) so bad timing, and my and mom and I are pretty much taking Thanksgiving off this year, so sorry I don't have much to offer. At least you get to enjoy this beautiful fall New England weather.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Remember to tell the mechanic they did a “wicked” good job.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Eat well guys!
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Picking up a smoked turkey from the local top 50 BBQ joint. I've never carved a turkey though and it looks like it might be my job.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:13 pm Picking up a smoked turkey from the local top 50 BBQ joint. I've never carved a turkey though and it looks like it might be my job.
Here ya go. Pretty easy.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:26 am We're sticking around in JERSEY this week, just my wife and the kids for dinner. We don't want to board our ancient dog, and my sister has two large dogs that couldn't really work in our house. Picking up a fresh/locally sourced turkey this afternoon, the first time doing that. We invited the nice Canadian family down the street (who my oldest babysits for) to come over for dessert and drinks tomorrow evening.

Since we're staying local I signed up for my first ever turkey trot tomorrow morning. A 5K in the parking lot of a huge mall right off the Garden State Parkway. Very, very JERSEY.
I hope you’ll be wearing your new JERSEY jersey!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

Been up for about 40 minutes, 20 of which were spent walking the dog by myself. In the other 20 minutes, the MIL has already reminded me 3 times about when I’m cleaning and peeling potatoes, and when the Turkey is going on the oven (10 AM).

I absolutely love my MIL but now I remember why stopped inviting her up the night before. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Especially to those celebrating in JERSEY.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This is my annual reminder on carving video:

We are hosting, total of 11 family members around the table. In-laws do one turkey and the stuffing, as of about 4 years ago we also deep fry a second one after brining it the day before.

Favorite BIL will come over at 11:59a so that we can crack a beer at noon (on the dot.) I'll be putting out the cornhole boards this year, as it's going to be sunny and in the mid-fifties. Our across the street friends are also going to have their boards out and we'll share some brews and hang with them (we've gotten even closer over the pandemic with D&D and watching hockey and football.)

Only potential wrinkle is my weird mom. But when we're outside, she has a harder time sucking the oxygen out of the "room."

Happy Thanksgiving, my dudes!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

21:07 Strava time, 21:13 official time

1st place M 45-50 (40th overall)

Really wanted to break 21.

Got a great Bergen Co. bagel afterwards, too.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Even you Canadians who showed off by doing it a month early.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Happy Thanksgiving all. Lots to be thankful for. Sitting down and having three hours to relax this am high on the list. Didn't realize how much I've been going.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:49 am 21:07 Strava time, 21:13 official time

Salma would be proud.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Damn, son. Nice work!

37:15 for 8k
11th place M 4-49 (45th overall) here.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

“What do you mean I need to cut the garlic? It was ten pounds. I only used three bulbs.”
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:55 am

Damn, son. Nice work!

37:15 for 8k
11th place M 4-49 (45th overall) here.
I did a relaxing run, but now I have some times to chase when I race next week
and, yes, the drink is missing olives, etc, and a straw. You'd think you'd get better service at a bar at 8 AM
Last edited by EdRomero on Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nice job on the runs guys. Post race Bloody Mary seems daring to me.

And happy thanksgiving everyone.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Rapids supporters group is cooking up 23 turkeys and 20 hams + all the sides. Hope I can make in time before kickoff. (Family dinner afterward, or what's left of it. Hoping for no overtime.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm exhausted just reading this.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Was up peeling potatoes early this morning, drinking coffee, and watching clips from 'The Last Waltz' on YouTube. Will have my GF, her Ex and his GF, her son and his GF, my two daughters, and Kelsey over for dinner later today. Should be loud and chaotic and a welcome change from last year.

Cheers to all of you!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:51 pm Was up peeling potatoes early this morning, drinking coffee, and watching clips from 'The Last Waltz' on YouTube. Will have my GF, her Ex and his GF, her son and his GF, my two daughters, and Kelsey over for dinner later today. Should be loud and chaotic and a welcome change from last year.

Cheers to all of you!
Good on ya. Sounds fantastic!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Explaining to my 7-year old nephew why the Giants want Detroit to win today and I think he’s getting it
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rex wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:06 pm Explaining to my 7-year old nephew why the Giants want Detroit to win today and I think he’s getting it
If it comes that easily the kid might be a Jets fan.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

He’s pretty savvy about football. I half expected him to respond with “who cares if Gettleman’s still making the picks”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If he complains about Accorsi helping to choose the next GM I’ll be super impressed.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Update: 4-year old nephew also understands at a very 30,000 foot level. Went to tell his mom that the game was going bad for the Giants
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Main living room TV konked out on me yesterday, so I guess that's convenient timing with all the Black Friday deals.

The whole family did the Hopewell Valley (Pennington, NJ) Turkey Trot 5K (it was only 3 miles really, not the full 3.1). I averaged an 8:30 mile, which is very good for me. Wife's making some homemade pumpkin gnocchi for dinner tonight.

The big family real Thanksgiving meal is tomorrow, going down to D.C. area as my brother-in-law and his wife are hosting.

Everyone enjoy your feasts.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Reaper wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:28 pm Main living room TV konked out on me yesterday, so I guess that's convenient timing with all the Black Friday deals.

The whole family did the Hopewell Valley (Pennington, NJ) Turkey Trot 5K (it was only 3 miles really, not the full 3.1). I averaged an 8:30 mile, which is very good for me. Wife's making some homemade pumpkin gnocchi for dinner tonight.

The big family real Thanksgiving meal is tomorrow, going down to D.C. area as my brother-in-law and his wife are hosting.

Everyone enjoy your feasts.
Nice work! Happy Thanksgiving!