Jeeves has tapes. Digital Conversion Needed.

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Jeeves has tapes. Digital Conversion Needed.

Post by bfj »

I have VHS tapes and smaller video tapes that I need to get converted to digital format before they dissolve and the memories they hold are gone forever. We are talking about my wedding video, kid's birthdays, first haircuts, little league games, etc. Has anyone here ever used one of these places where you mail them your tapes and they covert them to digital? I can't seem to find anyone locally that does this service.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Jeeves has tapes. Digital Conversion Needed.

Post by A_B »

I've only used local places. I used to have a VHS-to-dvd burner here at work but it has since gone kaput, I believe. I can check it, and if it works I'd be happy to mail the whole thing to you. It won't work for the smaller tapes unless you have one of the adapter cartridges that were notoriously wonky, however. If my machine does still work, I don't have any of the adapters. I'll try to remember to bring a VHS in to check it out later this week.

That only works for you if you want DVDs of course. A bit more digital, but still going the way of the dodo. I don't have any way to make an MP4 or MOV file I don't think.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

bfj -

Interesting timing - I bought this last year:

Converter

for i think the same USD$30. I've just recently been slowly but surely doing this myself. Honestly couldn't have been much easier; I have a Mac, I connected the cables from VCR to a USB port. Open up Quicktime and hit record then hit play on the VCR. Watch the fluttery embarrassing old videos fly by...

Have no real commentary on the video quality - my tapes are from the 80s/90s so I'm just surprised they even still work, but they look pretty much exactly as they did on the VCR.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

bfj wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:43 pm I have VHS tapes and smaller video tapes that I need to get converted to digital format before they dissolve and the memories they hold are gone forever. We are talking about my wedding video, kid's birthdays, first haircuts, little league games, etc. Has anyone here ever used one of these places where you mail them your tapes and they covert them to digital? I can't seem to find anyone locally that does this service.
I'd check at the Townson University Library or other local libraries. Most worth their salt have these operations for in-house processing and do things for the community to raise a bit of extra cash.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

MaxWebster wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:26 pm bfj -

Converter

for i think the same USD$30. I've just recently been slowly but surely doing this myself. Honestly couldn't have been much easier; I have a Mac, I connected the cables from VCR to a USB port. Open up Quicktime and hit record then hit play on the VCR. Watch the fluttery embarrassing old videos fly by...

Have no real commentary on the video quality - my tapes are from the 80s/90s so I'm just surprised they even still work, but they look pretty much exactly as they did on the VCR.
I’m not even sure I have a VCR to play them on. But I’ll check it out. Thanks.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:27 pm
bfj wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:43 pm I have VHS tapes and smaller video tapes that I need to get converted to digital format before they dissolve and the memories they hold are gone forever. We are talking about my wedding video, kid's birthdays, first haircuts, little league games, etc. Has anyone here ever used one of these places where you mail them your tapes and they covert them to digital? I can't seem to find anyone locally that does this service.
I'd check at the Townson University Library or other local libraries. Most worth their salt have these operations for in-house processing and do things for the community to raise a bit of extra cash.
The Baltimore County Public Liberry has a “transformation station”, but it is self serve and there are never times available that are convenient for me. Also, the idea of the tapes being ruined is bad. The thought that I’d fuck it up and destroy my tapes would be worse.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:27 pm
And it’s Towson, they just kicked the Lobos ass in hoops. Yeah, lower mid major smack talk!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:36 pm

Converter

And if you have a VCR, you'll either need an ancient TV to plug it into or a converter box. I keep an ancient TV in my basement because I keep thinking I'll hook up my Atari 2600 one day. I should actually follow through on that. It'll be hilarious to my kids for 5 minutes before they get bored and leave me with my River Raid and Frogger.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:48 pm

Converter

And if you have a VCR, you'll either need an ancient TV to plug it into or a converter box. I keep an ancient TV in my basement because I keep thinking I'll hook up my Atari 2600 one day. I should actually follow through on that. It'll be hilarious to my kids for 5 minutes before they get bored and leave me with my River Raid and Frogger.
You spelled Pitfall wrong.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

a) actually you wouldn't need a tv at all! I literally have my vcr plugged only into the USB port of my Mac - hit play on the VCR and it plays through Quicktime.

b) when i moved to Vancouver in 2013 i gave - GAVE - my atari 2600 to my friend/neighbour across the street. yes of course i want it back. sigh.
The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:48 pm

Converter

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Our Costco had a service that converted Super 8 to DVD for us. You might check with them.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:54 pm

You spelled Pitfall wrong.
I can still hear the sounds from that game.

Max, if you want an Atari, there are (or used to be) hundreds on EBay at all times for cheap.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

bfj wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:40 pm And it’s Towson, they just kicked the Lobos ass in hoops. Yeah, lower mid major smack talk!
UNM has sucked since they went on the "we have to hire someone with NM ties" route. They have young Pitino now, we'll see how he does.

I think UVM is the better of my mid-major teams though.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

MaxWebster wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:40 pm a) actually you wouldn't need a tv at all! I literally have my vcr plugged only into the USB port of my Mac - hit play on the VCR and it plays through Quicktime.

b) when i moved to Vancouver in 2013 i gave - GAVE - my atari 2600 to my friend/neighbour across the street. yes of course i want it back. sigh.

You can play 2600 games on your computer as well.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

speaking of conversions.

i've a box of 3/4" tapes from my stint in community TV and cable access back in the early 90s.
anybody have a Sony 9850 laying around?