Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Old Skool Swamp

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:53 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:50 am
Gunpowder wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:37 am
Reaper wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:17 pm Maybe I'm just horrible at the search function, but does anybody have the links to the all time drafts? I know I participated in the basketball and baseball ones, but I kind of remember the football one kind of fading out (or maybe that's when I was fading out).
I don't think they are on these boards.
Bummer, it be fun to look back at the hot women draft.
I remember that we all mocked PDX for picking Helen Mirren, then we backtracked after we realized she is the hottest old woman ever.
First pick I thought of, and almost cracked a joke. I'm confident I never backtracked [insert Rass pulling up a quote of me backtracking]. Although... I do get the strategy. Kind of like picking Travis Kelce in the first round in a fantasy football draft. Nobody wants a TE first round, but when there are so few options, you draft Helen Mirren early.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:30 pm
Reaper wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:17 pm Maybe I'm just horrible at the search function, but does anybody have the links to the all time drafts? I know I participated in the basketball and baseball ones, but I kind of remember the football one kind of fading out (or maybe that's when I was fading out).
I remember that we all mocked PDX for picking Helen Mirren, then we backtracked after we realized she is the hottest old woman ever.
First pick I thought of, and almost cracked a joke. I'm confident I never backtracked [insert Rass pulling up a quote of me backtracking]. Although... I do get the strategy. Kind of like picking Travis Kelce in the first round in a fantasy football draft. Nobody wants a TE first round, but when there are so few options, you draft Helen Mirren early.
You have to assume Dame Helen would be proud to have her physical characteristics compared favorably to Travis Kelce on an obscure internet message board.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I made that argument at the time and I don't remember anyone else co-signing.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:02 am

I made that argument at the time and I don't remember anyone else co-signing.
I thought it was a good point, but it was more fun to pile on boybleu
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

haha yeah what a douche
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Pretty sure I still have all the draft boards even if the threads are gone. Will look tomorrow.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I'm rocking the Swamp Album draft playlist on Spotify this very morning.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That draft caused huge bounce-backs for Beach House and Interpol in terms of my daily listening.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kid watched some tim donaghy show last night. Kinda sucked and quit watching though the line about tasting bird shit killed the kid.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I wonder if the invasion of BengalsZone is on there
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:28 am I wonder if the invasion of BengalsZone is on there
That might have been the most fun couple hours I've ever spent on the internet.

"RAWR!!!"
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

well. reading those threads made me even more depressed.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:20 pm Everyone else is doing 20 year retrospectives. Why not us?

http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb_swamp20 ... ic.php?t=3

http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb_swamp20 ... .php?t=250
That was interesting. Several observations:

1. We've lost a lot of regular and semi-regular posters
2. There used to be a lot more political diversity in the Swamp. That's too bad.
3. While I think we could use more diversity ... is it just me, or were all the "conservative" posts in those threads ill-informed and/or dumb? They certainly were not proven to be right after 20 years!
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:58 am3. While I think we could use more diversity ... is it just me, or were all the "conservative" posts in those threads ill-informed and/or dumb? They certainly were not proven to be right after 20 years!
I wonder, though, how many of us knew that Iraq had no WMDs whatsoever? Not even chemical or biological weapons? Even TB's response was premised on the notion that Saddam had WMDs, but so did the US, and Iraq's WMDs did not allow us to launch a war.

That was basically my position at the time also, though I felt that the war could be justified on the ground that Saddam was a murderous tyrant.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:14 am
Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:58 am3. While I think we could use more diversity ... is it just me, or were all the "conservative" posts in those threads ill-informed and/or dumb? They certainly were not proven to be right after 20 years!
I wonder, though, how many of us knew that Iraq had no WMDs whatsoever? Not even chemical or biological weapons? Even TB's response was premised on the notion that Saddam had WMDs, but so did the US, and Iraq's WMDs did not allow us to launch a war.

That was basically my position at the time also, though I felt that the war could be justified on the ground that Saddam was a murderous tyrant.
I was always against the Iraqi invasion, because I recognized the conflation of events (9/11) to whip up nationalist fervor. Colin Powell's 2003 presentation about WMD was a fucking fabrication to the highest degree. A year or two later when questioned about how he was so wrong about it, wondered why USINT didn't speak up? That's another horse shit lie, because war was forced upon us. Options about sharing INT between countries was shot down by that cabal.

It was always fucked up.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:58 am
rass wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:20 pm Everyone else is doing 20 year retrospectives. Why not us?

http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb_swamp20 ... ic.php?t=3

http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb_swamp20 ... .php?t=250
That was interesting. Several observations:

1. We've lost a lot of regular and semi-regular posters
2. There used to be a lot more political diversity in the Swamp. That's too bad.
3. While I think we could use more diversity ... is it just me, or were all the "conservative" posts in those threads ill-informed and/or dumb? They certainly were not proven to be right after 20 years!
2. The right went way, way to the right after 9/11. A lot of that had to do with Murdoch poisoning minds 24/7.
3. "Conservative" posts by the time The Swamp was a thing weren't really happening any longer. Yeah, if you're talking about investment strategies or local bond issues you could still have a conversation, but the well had already been poisoned.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Also, where's BillCross these days? I liked him back in the day.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I was probably more conservative then and then you groomers got your claws into me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:02 am I was probably more conservative then and then you groomers got your claws into me.
Me too. (Although, my parents quietly blame my wife.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:54 am Also, where's BillCross these days? I liked him back in the day.
Bill is still professing. I touch base with him extremely periodically.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I wonder why HDO doesn't drop by anymore.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:55 am I wonder why HDO doesn't drop by anymore.
I think he left after you-know-who got banned.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can we vote on whether this should remain stickied or if we can let it fall so I stop clicking?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I vote for keeping the sticky.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I'm just always relieved when this has a a new response that some fuckawful take of mine from 2008 has not re-surfaced...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:57 pm I'm just always relieved when this has a a new response that some fuckawful take of mine from 2008 has not re-surfaced...
If you had a horrible take, most of the rest of us were probably on board with it.
-Pruitt
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:57 pm I'm just always relieved when this has a a new response that some fuckawful take of mine from 2008 has not re-surfaced...
Same. I used to post so much more than I do now, and had so many bad takes.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Tried and failed twice to find the former member who was a TX principal who was in favor of hitting kids (as per here) but I did find this thread which, while it contained thoughtful content and is interesting in the context of the program's recent resurgence, was disappointing in its lack of embarrassing Sandusky content. Any of those PSU super fans still around under a different moniker? Were any of them a pre-red pilled nate?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:26 am Tried and failed twice to find the former member who was a TX principal who was in favor of hitting kids (as per here) but I did find this thread which, while it contained thoughtful content and is interesting in the context of the program's recent resurgence, was disappointing in its lack of embarrassing Sandusky content. Any of those PSU super fans still around under a different moniker? Were any of them a pre-red pilled nate?
texas_sportsman was his name. I found him in the member list of both the 2006 and 2011 Swamps. He had 65 posts in the 2011 one but they all appear to have been deleted, so I couldn’t find what we were searching for.
zazopolis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by zazopolis »

The Zaz lives! (in a much healthier and OLDER manner)
I got an inkling in the force about the revival of the Old Skool Swamp and just had to pop in.
I've forsaken unhealthy booze abuse since the legalization of MaryHooney here in Minnesota.
I have also forsaken the bizzos. Ain't nobody got time for that.
I've been adopting elderly beagles for the past 10 years and I spend nearly all of my time getting high, watching hockey and beagling around with my fur-dudes.
On the work front, it turns out I'm not a great team player, so I run a small town newspaper where I'm a one-man band and pretty much write everything but sports.
It's less work for more pay and the older I get the more I appreciate the free time.
Last Friday, I had a sit down with myself about productivity.
What the fuck are we still doing in the office at 1 p.m.? Get your shit together. We should be out of here by noon on Fridays!
That's about it.
Hope y'all are well.
...as you were.
z
The Sybian wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:41 pm
Shirley wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:23 pm That rballer lisp-girl thread was gold. I forgot how funny Zaz's posts were.
Yeah, I read his posts and wondered how his health is holding up if he still lives as his posts would let on. I posted in that thread about dating a girl and trying not to make her laugh because her laugh was so horrible. It's vaguely familiar, but for the life of me I can't remember the girl or what she looked like or even what her laugh and voice sounded like.

Really fun reading through a thread from 2006 discussing potential future USMNT players. So many names I'd forgotten who were promising and never panned out. Someone was taking about a 17 yo kid named Josmer Altidore who was showing potential with the MetroStars (maybe they were Red Bulls by then).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Zaz!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

niiiice
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Great to hear from you, Zaz! Been a long fucking time. Hope there is still pontoon time in your summers.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Zaz! Good to hear from you.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Good lord. Great to hear from you.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nice to hear you're still houndin'!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Oh man, I hope Zaz becomes a regular, or at least semi-regular, again!
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hey, bud!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Zaz! Great to hear you're doing well.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.