Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Old Skool Swamp

Post by Shirley »

I have a present for you frogs...

http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb_swamp2006/index.php

http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb_swamp2011/index.php

After updating our current board this weekend, I took another crack at reviving some old boards from databases ... and I think it worked! Please DO NOT post on those old boards. I think I marked them as Read Only, but phpbb is a complicated bitch. Just enjoy the history as is.

I think you can probably log into those with your old account, but after hours of frustration, I realized that you have to clear your sportsfrog.net cookies first. But there's not tons of value in logging in, other than to see the old member lists.

There's still another database or two in there, one from our VBulletin days, that I may try to revive as well. Still gonna be some gaps though, I believe. Scottie saw to that.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Old Skool Swamp

Post by sancarlos »

Oh, this is awesome. Some many old Swampers I had forgotten about!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

When the Swamp Dave draft happens you’ll be the consensus first pick. Thanks man!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:37 pm When the Swamp Dave draft happens you’ll be the consensus first pick. Thanks man!
I dunno I might pick the guy with a concussion. That guacamole was amazing. But I guess I’ll be picking later than you anyway.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The search function even works.

In the 2003-2006 version, searching "Trump" gives you 12 hits. And half of them were for the word.

A few others:
Obama-31
Twitter-0
Elon-5 (the school)
tits-129

It really was a simpler time
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

These are fun.

Biden-11
bidet-2
Belichick-488
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Netflix-62
YouTube-535
Facebook-52
Myspace-175
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I found my very first post! And, I got attaboys from Hood, TB, and Jerloma for it. May 2, 2005. (It's not hard to look up the first post for most of us.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I was thinking about Bill Cross the other day. Pentz, any idea how he’s doing?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My first post: http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb_swamp20 ... 20#p127620

Man, what a trip down memory lane with some of these posters and topics.

Here's the OG Relations thread: http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb_swamp20 ... 476#p16476
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:22 pm I was thinking about Bill Cross the other day. Pentz, any idea how he’s doing?
Exchanged some email with him last year. He’s still professing, and generally seems well.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Is it possible to change screen names on there? I don't know what happened back in 2005 but I don't know if I want a treasure trove of posts from my 21 year old self suddenly available for a Google of basically my name.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I echo similar concerns. I'm good with letting the previously gone boards stay gone
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Won't disagree. Maybe print copies out for us all and send them via fed ex.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Can that be made a members only section, not visible unless you are registered?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

At a bare minimum we should hopefully be able to make it not accessible by web crawlers (and therefore not caught in Google searches).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:09 am Is it possible to change screen names on there? I don't know what happened back in 2005 but I don't know if I want a treasure trove of posts from my 21 year old self suddenly available for a Google of basically my name.
IIRC, you were one of the youngins' around this time arguing that you don't care if anyone sees what you write, and if a potential employer wouldn't hire you based on what you wrote online, you wouldn't want to work for them.

Is there a link to the Front Page? If so, are there scores?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:23 am At a bare minimum we should hopefully be able to make it not accessible by web crawlers (and therefore not caught in Google searches).
Right now, the only links to those forums are the ones in this thread. Not sure if the web crawlers will find them anytime soon. I think I can disable Guest browsing, which would mean anyone here would need to login to read those old posts.

I could probably create a shared account anyone could use to login and read if you can't remember your old password.
Totally Kafkaesque
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:52 am
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:09 am Is it possible to change screen names on there? I don't know what happened back in 2005 but I don't know if I want a treasure trove of posts from my 21 year old self suddenly available for a Google of basically my name.
IIRC, you were one of the youngins' around this time arguing that you don't care if anyone sees what you write, and if a potential employer wouldn't hire you based on what you wrote online, you wouldn't want to work for them.

Is there a link to the Front Page? If so, are there scores?

I really don't care about potential employers finding it.

My main concern is that this is an era of doxxing.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I remember Shawn Baird who changed his name to something less identifiable. I will swear upon this in depositions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yarn and push pins on a board connecting GPJ, MeatGayzer, Todd McNeigh and BusinessHorse with a giant ??? in the middle.

I obviously love having this shit around, but if it makes anyone uncomfortable and it can't be decisively locked down then wesleysnipescrying.gif
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:15 am Yarn and push pins on a board connecting GPJ, MeatGayzer, Todd McNeigh and BusinessHorse with a giant ??? in the middle.
That might have been a solid hint.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

You should be able to change your screen name. If you can't let me know and I can do it.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Another classic - the "I could beat Stockton 1 on 1" thread - http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb_swamp20 ... php?t=4876
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:54 am
You should be able to change your screen name. If you can't let me know and I can do it.
it doesn't appear that my password works to log in from another browser. any other tips?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'd hate to lose access to this gold mine.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Seeing that first page had threads entitled "Greg Oden" and "Agatha Christie", the technique of simply putting a person's name as the thread title to indicate them dying wasn't a thing yet.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Hilarious and bizarre that my first thread and post was a love letter to Bruce Arena. For some reason I was convinced he could lead a Championship team to Premier League greatness. WTF was I thinking?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:58 pm
it doesn't appear that my password works to log in from another browser. any other tips?
I'll change your password and DM it to you.
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Shirley wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:28 pm Another classic - the "I could beat Stockton 1 on 1" thread - http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb_swamp20 ... php?t=4876
My insights were off base. None of you fuckers can ball. Well maybe dsafe could in the day. Not sure why I think that... Something something Syracuse
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:56 pm Hilarious and bizarre that my first thread and post was a love letter to Bruce Arena. For some reason I was convinced he could lead a Championship team to Premier League greatness. WTF was I thinking?
I don't think this is all that crazy. He's tarnished by the 2018 cycle, but there's no question that his UVa-DCU-MNT-LAG run made him the most successful US manager -- by a wide margin -- up through 2010 or so. He built 2 dynasties (college/MLS) and then oversaw the beginning of a very the dawn of the MNT program we have today. The run in Korea was epic. The debacle that was the Sampson era only underscores what Arena was able to pull off in that role.

Now, was any US coach truly tactilly sound enough to coach in one of the top Europeean leagues at that time? Maaaaybe a relegation battle where you had to really keep things simple and focus on the mentality of the team and pressing the shit out of everyone?? Jesse and Berhalter may not be top level elite, but we are now getting into the generations of American managers that have been taught tactics at a much MUCH higher level than the Arena/Sampson/etc generation.

Bradley is a pretty good indicator or example of the tweener stage of this evolution. But you see how well he did when given his euro-shot(s). (Not that great.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I can get in but can't figure out how to change it. Just change it to SL22. I'm not super concerned just don't want my full-ass name everywhere on whatever the hell I was saying back in the day.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:01 pm
I can get in but can't figure out how to change it. Just change it to SL22. I'm not super concerned just don't want my full-ass name everywhere on whatever the hell I was saying back in the day.
done
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:59 pmI'll change your password and DM it to you.
Would you be kind enough to do this for me, as well? I want to find out if "Steph Curry's NBA ceiling is as a three-point shooting combo guard off the bench" is my worst Swamp take ever.
HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:04 pmMy insights were off base. None of you fuckers can ball. Well maybe dsafe could in the day. Not sure why I think that... Something something Syracuse
Fortunately, no one else at my pick-up game is in the Swamp, so my secret is safe.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Mister Delaware » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:03 pm
Have a Dogfish 120 in the fridge but need a good reason to go for it.

In case anyone has spent 11 years wondering, I opened it, had about 1/3 and then text a guy who lived in the building to see if he wanted the rest because I wasn't sold I should finish this with Missus D under 8 weeks from due date.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

We should collect a hall of fame of bad early swamp takes. We can post it in the Britney Spears upskirt thread.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That rballer lisp-girl thread was gold. I forgot how funny Zaz's posts were.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I would like to know if Mr. D's stance on Rachel Ray has changed. I was quite surprised at his initial take rereading now.