USMNT - 2026 Cycle - "Early Days"

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: USMNT - 2026 Cycle - "Early Days"

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:02 pm I'm sure its universal, but between this and Rangers Twitter, it drives me fucking insane. "If a 23 year old lottery pick wants to get top 9 minutes maybe he should score on the 4th line playing with two guys who won't be in the league in 24 months. Otherwise it proves the coach is right."
I mean, I know Claudio played there, but can't believe you still follow scottish soccer to this day.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can't miss my boy James Sands.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I LOLd

(Not for nothing, but Rangers has a pretty big roster of former and current American players... Carlos Bocanegra, Maurice Edu and Run DMB come to mind quickly... And James Sands and Malik Tillman are on the current squad.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Also tonight 10pm the Camp Cupcake team versus Serbia on the HBO Max.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

2-1 L. Watched the first half and a little bit of the 2nd. This group of players is clearly trying to learn the USMNT playing style. Gaga looked pretty good in the goal. I expect him to be the new #3 moving forward. Gressel had a good night and likely moves into one of those MLS depth guys in the pool. Cade Cowell was dangerous and maybe the best US player. 2 off the post and a rocket that went just wide.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

FC Cincinnati represented - Brandon Vazquez had the goal. He won't be at FC Cincy much longer. Maybe this year at most. He's really an excellent 9.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Cade Cowell looked like if Party Boy from Jackass were good at soccer.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:16 am FC Cincinnati represented - Brandon Vazquez had the goal. He won't be at FC Cincy much longer. Maybe this year at most. He's really an excellent 9.
Yeah, he gone.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What are the odds the guys Berhalter left home up front are, as a group, better than the ones he took?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:14 am What are the odds the guys Berhalter left home up front are, as a group, better than the ones he took?
1 to 100? It's pretty fucking clear he left out guys that were in better form and could absolutely have helped. On top of the Gio shenanigans.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2023/0 ... -eindhoven

Stewart and McBride out.

I'm really hoping this is the start of a true changing of the guard.

I don't mind players turning to coaching... if they've got the chops. But just filling the chairs at Soccer House with guys from 90s... Many of whom played a different game than is being coached/played today... Is not a recipe for capitalizing on the most talent-rich player pool we've ever seen. (And it's not even close or debate at this point.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:25 am 2-1 L. Watched the first half and a little bit of the 2nd. This group of players is clearly trying to learn the USMNT playing style. Gaga looked pretty good in the goal. I expect him to be the new #3 moving forward. Gressel had a good night and likely moves into one of those MLS depth guys in the pool. Cade Cowell was dangerous and maybe the best US player. 2 off the post and a rocket that went just wide.
A goal scored by a #9? I saw the lineup, didn't know many of the names, so I didn't bother. I usually want to see the potential up and coming players, but I just couldn't muster the interest. Excited for Slonina to develop, hopefully he goes out on loan soon. My understanding is he is at the Chelsea Academy which is fine while he is still 18.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:20 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:25 am 2-1 L. Watched the first half and a little bit of the 2nd. This group of players is clearly trying to learn the USMNT playing style. Gaga looked pretty good in the goal. I expect him to be the new #3 moving forward. Gressel had a good night and likely moves into one of those MLS depth guys in the pool. Cade Cowell was dangerous and maybe the best US player. 2 off the post and a rocket that went just wide.
A goal scored by a #9? I saw the lineup, didn't know many of the names, so I didn't bother. I usually want to see the potential up and coming players, but I just couldn't muster the interest. Excited for Slonina to develop, hopefully he goes out on loan soon. My understanding is he is at the Chelsea Academy which is fine while he is still 18.
Yeah, I didn't because 10p is just not happening on a work night.

But I got a preview and run down of this pool from 11 Yanks, who was enthusiastic about handful of these guys. In addition to what Noah said, Zendejas (apparently) showed well. That's a top player at Club America with duel citizenship. Apparently the FMF fucked up and gave him an ultimatum and said, fine, I'll player for the US.

He joins a crowded/talented midfield pool, but hopefully the new manager figures out how to put the best players on the field, not stick with a specific system that requires a target forward.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:34 am
mister d wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:14 am What are the odds the guys Berhalter left home up front are, as a group, better than the ones he took?
1 to 100? It's pretty fucking clear he left out guys that were in better form and could absolutely have helped. On top of the Gio shenanigans.
And who is that? You guys act like this guy wanted to lose. Quite sure he put the guys out there that he thought gave them the best chance. Something to be said for adapting to your talent pool but are you really going to run out unproven talent for world cup minutes? I'd also rather the established known quantity even if the talent is lesser. Those decisions needed to have been made the year prior. Where we're these guys in 2021? Can only assume they weren't lighting it up at high levels or else we would have had that discussion already. You can't piss away your other advantages giving some new guy a run. One thing if it's ream who has been around the block but some brand new 9 still learning how to play? Doesn't seem the best course. Especially in soccer it's easier to lose a game with a bad play than win one with a good play.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

At what point does Anthony Hudson declare himself President for Life?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Eta the fc Cincinnati kid had 4 goals in 30+ games in 2021. Now I see to recall that team being pretty much trash in 2021 so maybe to be expected but a goal every 7-8 mls games doesn't scream savior in qualifying
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Earnie S heading back to the land of wooden shoes. McBride steps down (said he told folks in October but did not want to take attention away from WC). Whole new setup coming to US Soccer.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You are not wrong. And you point out what was frustrating to many of us 2021. We can go back and look. Lots of grousing about not getting better guys into the pool, rather than sticking with guys like Morris and Ferreira (who made a meal out of scoring against shitty teams and then... nada.)

There were other options with higher ceilings that he refused to bring in. And not just at the FWD position, keeping Arriola and Roldan around was just stubborn and stupid and made it look like he had an MLS quota system.

By the time we got into "guys that are in form this season" in 2022... yeah... That's just too late.

But, again, he contradicts all of this when throws a guy like Haji Wright into the mix. And that's one of the things that is so frustrating. He isn't consistent and the grumblings from the players is noticeable on this front.

Not trying to lose... Just not very good at the job.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:19 pm Earnie S heading back to the land of wooden shoes. McBride steps down (said he told folks in October but did not want to take attention away from WC). Whole new setup coming to US Soccer.
Look up thread my dude.

Anyways, sort of??

Earnie getting a "better" gig after (apparently?) US Soccer had already renewed him here.* And McBride said that he wanted to move on before the WC. He wanted a shot at some high level spot that (again, apparently) was not being renewed while they do this "holistic review" of the organization... So he said I'm going to move on.

Not exactly cleaning house, as these facts come out.

The other thing from that press conference: They are still actively pursuing candidates while Earnie's replacement is sought. I don't know if I like the sequencing. Earnie got hired after GGG inked his deal. What's the point of that position if it's not shaping and guiding the search for a new manager.

On that call, they said they'd like to have a new manager in place by summer. That's too long. Not sure what they would need that amount of time for... It's highly unlikely, given the potential to pull in a high profile candidate 2 year out from the WC, that whoever they hire at this point is going to stick around. Unless they do the unexpected and land a whale (again, highly unlikely.)

* - This came out in the questions and Cindy Parlow Cone couldn't answer a question about... "We released Earnie from his contract so he could pursue the opp." So, 1) his contract ran out at the end of the WC and 2) they seemed bummed to see him go.

So, again, not really cleaning house.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Not for nothing brandon Vazquez was fantastic in 2022 and should have gotten a call for the June or fall camps at least for a look-see.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:49 pm Not for nothing brandon Vazquez was fantastic in 2022 and should have gotten a call for the June or fall camps at least for a look-see.
Not doubting this, but I never heard his name mentioned at all. Not sure if it's the articles/podcasts I consume ignoring MLS or GGG just not looking at him. I'll be thrilled for any #9 we can find.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Vasquez was pretty well rated as a prospect at one time. I still think that there’s an alternate universe where Vasquez and not Josef Martinez explodes into a star in Atlanta by getting on the end of all the great service from Almiron and Julian Gressel (nice one last night, by the way). Alas, he didn’t really get to play for three years.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Probably should go in the MLS thread, but seems somehow related to The Drama.

Claudio resigns from position at Austin FC.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

What many of us expected, but nice to see the official word:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/copa-americ ... ks-sources

2024 Copa will be 16 teams with 6 teams from CONCACAF. Hosted in the US. So, that's pretty cool.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:27 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:19 pm Earnie S heading back to the land of wooden shoes. McBride steps down (said he told folks in October but did not want to take attention away from WC). Whole new setup coming to US Soccer.
So, again, not really cleaning house.
My perspective was more if you blow out the GM, Manager, etc you will likely see a USMNT program get overhauled. New regime cascades down through youth teams, recruiting, scouting, etc. Just having the coach leave can still leave a methodology and framework. 4 years out from a world cup and hosting a Copa (news broke today) it would be better to have a foundation and not developing a new coaches' style of play through the whole program.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, I don't think the current regime really understands how different our player pool is. They are all stuck in the pre- and early days of MLS mindset, where it was almost unthinkable to earn a good living playing the game as an American.

We're, obviously, way past that. We have a pool full of ELITE players. We need a much more professional structure that understands the modern game and modern players.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://theathletic.com/4128014/2023/01 ... explained/

Great and lengthy rundown of the existing management structure, how it might change, candidates for the Sporting Director role and how it will impact the coaching search.

For MNT soccer nerds, this is manna.

Also, if it's not obvious... Landing the Copa is HUGE in terms of the coaching search. Not having meaningful games for 4 years was a massive issue, as many of you guys pointed out.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pmWell, I don't think the current regime really understands how different our player pool is. They are all stuck in the pre- and early days of MLS mindset, where it was almost unthinkable to earn a good living playing the game as an American.
Over/under minutes played by MLS players in the 2026 World Cup would be an interesting futures bet. Maybe minutes per 990 or however soccer does full team splits like basketball would be 200.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Good article but why is us soccer so broke? And hiring a few Mexican /liga mx connected youth national team coaches would seem to be a good long play.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:09 pm Good article but why is us soccer so broke? And hiring a few Mexican /liga mx connected youth national team coaches would seem to be a good long play.
Legal fees and settlements?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

What folks don't understand about the Federation is that it's a 501c3 and it's just not really built to churn out money. Here are all the people that are under their auspices

Professional Council
Major League Soccer (MLS)
National Women's Soccer League (NWSL)
North American Soccer League (NASL)
United Soccer League (USL)
National Independent Soccer Association (NISA)

Adult Council
United States Specialty Sports Association (USSSA)
United States Adult Soccer Association (USASA)

Youth Council
United States Specialty Sports Association (USSSA)
United States Youth Soccer Association (US Youth Soccer)
American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO)
US Club Soccer
Soccer Association for Youth (SAY)
USSF State Soccer Associations

Other affiliate members
American Amputee Soccer Association
Armed Forces Sports Council
United Soccer Coaches
United States Power Soccer Association (USPSA)
U.S. Soccer Foundation
United States Futsal Federation
United States Specialty Sports Association
United States of America Deaf Soccer Association (USA Deaf Soccer)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And when you look at their board of directors, not one person on that 2 dozen membership is directly tied to the management or the players in either the men's or the women's full national teams.

So, just in general, when people bitch about the MNT getting screwed or handled in a dysfunctional manner... This is what we're talking about. It's a nonprofit and it's run that way. In other words, not like a professional, strategic club with short-, mid- and long-term goals. It's always swinging around within this massive set of competing and conflicting priorities that have NOTHING to do with the success of the MNT.

=-=-=-=-===

Also, the fucked up relationship with MLS is BUILT INTO the whole structure. When folks talk about MLS players being on the national team despite OBVIOUSLY not being better than younger players in Europe... It's not just coming from a straight up evaluation. This undercurrent of MLS favoritism is FINANCIALLY supported/backed up by the ridiculous relationship between the Feds and MLS.

Garbers on the board, after-all... Earnie sure wasn't.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And I promise I'll stop, but...

This weird incestuousness that exists with Soccer House is why so many of us were livid that GGG basically failed upward (charitably, mediocred upward) with his fucking brother part of the decision making process.

It's absolute madness.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm torn. I'm happy that they are cleaning house, but I have little faith they will put better people in place. I'm also concerned at how the hiring process will be. I assume you need to fill Stewart and McBride's positions before hiring a new coach as the Director or whatever their titles are will want a say, and what coach would take the job without knowing who the Directors are? I guess it's less pressing since we don't have qualifiers starting in a few months, but it's bever good to let these decisions linger.
-Pruitt
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:44 pm What many of us expected, but nice to see the official word:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/copa-americ ... ks-sources

2024 Copa will be 16 teams with 6 teams from CONCACAF. Hosted in the US. So, that's pretty cool.
Cool but is this a one off or a permanent joint Copa America? Will the US participate in future if not hosted in the US? And what happens if the US doesn't qualify for its own tournament? :)
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think it is another one-off due to it being Ecuador’s turn under the host rotation, and Ecuador being small and not very well liked right now. But I imagine that both the USA and Mexico brought some pressure to bear, because the WC2026 hosts really need the games.

I also think that this will be a lot more common and that the host rotation days are numbered. Who, other than Brazil and Argentina, is really equipped to host this tournament?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

US playing the better/more experienced half of its camp tonight against ColOmbia, and they’re getting run ragged. But it’s still early. Also the US should have had a penalty.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I’ve been hearing a lot about John Tolkin from RBNY. What they didn’t tell me about was his Steve Perry haircut.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:21 pm I’ve been hearing a lot about John Tolkin from RBNY. What they didn’t tell me about was his Steve Perry haircut.
I didn’t make the connection when I saw the roster… he is from my wife’s hometown, Chatham NJ! Kid is supposed to be phenomenal. And since TB posted a tweet from BuffaloSoldier, he briefly lived in Chatham. Small world, and it always ties in NJ.
-Pruitt