A non-majors Golf Thread for 2023 and beyond

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

A non-majors Golf Thread for 2023 and beyond

Post by Rex »

New era for the game means new thread. And what better way to kick it off.

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: A non-majors Golf Thread for 2023 and beyond

Post by EnochRoot »

Take off your glove you freakin animal.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I love that the actual invite looks like they are inviting you to a wedding.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nothing says media clout more than securing the rights to broadcast your events on the CW APP.

Edit: Oopsie, I misread. But still!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

They cancelled Riverdale for this? Bullshit.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Is LIV still paying to show its product?

It is kind of enjoyable to watch the Saudis flush tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars down the toilet.
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:16 am Is LIV still paying to show its product?

It is kind of enjoyable to watch the Saudis flush tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars down the toilet.
I do think they will be in charge of all the production, yes.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Details From Patrick Reed's Threatened Lawsuit Against Jake Tapper and Bob Costas
Interestingly, the supposed “highly defamatory piece” by Tapper and Costas never even mentioned Patrick Reed by name.
Canadian International
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Sources told ESPN that it is a revenue-sharing arrangement and that LIV Golf won't receive rights fees from the CW network and would continue to pay production costs, as it did during its inaugural season in 2022.
LIV is probably purchasing the air time from the CW, then selling all the advertising spots on the broadcasts to generate revenue, should that last part be something that is ever a concern.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

CW is partially owned by CBS and Warner Brothers still (C and W). They sold the majority but that CBS-PGA relationship does create some conflicts of interest.

Also the local sports radio folks were talking about Saudi's driving hard into horse racing and then bailing recently. They wonder if LIV will get old to them.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Watching the golf at Torrey Pines with Rahm going for 3 victories in a row and just heard possibly the most insane Tiger stat ever. He did that FOURTEEN times!!!
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

He’s simultaneously an unquestioned great and a what if story.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Jerloma wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:01 am Watching the golf at Torrey Pines with Rahm going for 3 victories in a row and just heard possibly the most insane Tiger stat ever. He did that FOURTEEN times!!!
Isn't that how you get automatic promotion to the Liv tour?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This is a non major thread, but here's my prediciton: Rory wins Masters and US open, a relative journeyman wins the british (let's say Mackenzie Hughes , who isn't a journeyman yet but nothing big has happened...go Canada!) and then Max Homa wins the PGA. Not in that order I don't suppose.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

St Andrews Old Course bridge renovation compared to 'DIY patio'

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-ed ... e-64538420

It is pretty fugly deserving of a spot on @ Crappy Cheapo Architecture
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Hey Chedda! This place is about a mile from my in laws. I challenge you next time you decide to stay in town next time I'm that way!

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It's on!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shoot! There's one in Katy Texas too! We'll start a tour. Giff, murder a journalist to get us some kickstarter funds, please.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

On it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you accept the worst “reality show” and best “documentary” are diametrically opposed - and I do - then Full Swing might be as close to a mid-point of the two as I’ve ever seen and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

I’m a complete mark for shit like this. It’s obviously a ripoff of Drive To Survive but it’s done so well but you can tell there’s an agreement to cut it in the almost most favorable way possible for the ones participating. I’m sure there’s enough footage to cut a doc that would have you hating all these guys by the end.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The 2nd episode with Brooks Koepka is like a mix of Rocky IV and Talladega Nights and I’m here for it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The interesting part to me with all these is how they still can reveal enough behind the scenes stuff with stuff that shows you how obsessed with greatness you have to be literally among the best at your thing in the world.

I couldn’t even a give a shit about my job. Imagine how good I’d be if I even gave half a shit as Brooks Koepka does to swat a ball around for tens of millions of dollars a year.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’ve decided my rubric on the success of this show is how fair (relatively speaking) they treat the LIV guys they clearly got access to.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:13 pm If you accept the worst “reality show” and best “documentary” are diametrically opposed - and I do - then Full Swing might be as close to a mid-point of the two as I’ve ever seen and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

I’m a complete mark for shit like this. It’s obviously a ripoff of Drive To Survive but it’s done so well but you can tell there’s an agreement to cut it in the almost most favorable way possible for the ones participating. I’m sure there’s enough footage to cut a doc that would have you hating all these guys by the end.
I think the series was done by the folks who did "Drive To Survive" and the one about tennis.

Watched the first episode last night and lowered my expectations about ten minutes in and ended up enjoying it.
[+] spoiler
I mean, Justin Thomas is not a very exciting person, and there wasn't anything more dramatic on a personal level than "I really want to win the PGA Championship"
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Buddy says it’s better for casual golf fans.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:27 am Buddy says it’s better for casual golf fans.
That's what I mean -- that's me to a T, but that's why Drive to Survive is so popular. The rub with that show is that it led people to become more interested in F1, so they follow it now in the media and now the show isn't too much different than an advert for F1 (which is fine).

They do stuff like go out of order with the majors which is different than F1 (maybe because the points title is more linear than having four spotlight events), but it works because they obviously had some amazing access to some of these guys.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you're a hardcore golf fan, a lot of this stuff is going to be pretty boring unless you're really interested in seeing Brooks Koepka and his girlfriend in a pool with him stewing over finishing T3.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:46 am If you're a hardcore golf fan, a lot of this stuff is going to be pretty boring unless you're really interested in seeing Brooks Koepka and his girlfriend in a pool with him stewing over finishing T3.
I saw the preview - watching her by the pool isn't the worst thing I can think of doing.
Canadian International
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:06 am
brian wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:46 am If you're a hardcore golf fan, a lot of this stuff is going to be pretty boring unless you're really interested in seeing Brooks Koepka and his girlfriend in a pool with him stewing over finishing T3.
I saw the preview - watching her by the pool isn't the worst thing I can think of doing.
That's what I mean when it's as much a reality show as it is a documentary. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it definitely bleeds over that edge a few times. (As does Drive to Survive, of course -- that's why people connect with it).
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I don't think I can love a vibe as much as Joel Dahmen's.

"Somebody has to be the 70th best golfer in the world. Might as well be me."
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:11 am
I saw a good quote from some rando NYT facebook post: "He's always so off-putting."

Stick a fork in this sad sack.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:51 pm
I don't think I can love a vibe as much as Joel Dahmen's.

"Somebody has to be the 70th best golfer in the world. Might as well be me."
Right? That’s kinda how I try to live my life.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Wasn't sure if this would be for the Golf, Netflix, or Television threads...

Anyways, I watched the first 4 episodes over the last couple of days. I enjoyed it...I'm about as into golf as I am F1, so I'm probably the ideal market for this.
  • Brooks Kopeke sdeems like the biggest frat/douchebag around. That he was wearing the "Triggered"/Barstool sweatshirt was pretty much on the nose. And I give his marriage 3 years, tops.
  • So far, Joel Dahlman seems like the coolest guy to hang out with
  • Watching those fading pros, like Poulter, sit up on the stage and struggle to justify taking the Saudi money was painful.
This formula of sports docs works pretty well, and the team doing them haven't gotten pretty good at it. Very interested to see what they do with the Tour De France one they are working on.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Watching it also...
So went down a google rabbit hole about Luke Poulter (Ian's son). So saw he is a freshman at Florida. Then I saw their golf coaches include. Billy Horschel (currently 19th in the world) and Dudley Hart (2 time PGA tour winner). Wonder how many active PGA players are also NCAA golf coaches.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Watched the first episode. Wife really enjoyed it and I thought it was fine, which tracks.

But why the hell is Sean Foley featured? He's a fucking nobody. To put "Tiger Woods's former coach" under his name tells you all you need to know about his place in the game. He still works with Justin Rose and Lee Westwood, and Westwood is included in the show, so it seems like you'd put that there. He's a zero and his parts were useless.

And just using Amanda Renner as just someone to explain basic stuff does her an injustice. She covers these guys every damn week!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:14 am Watched the first episode. Wife really enjoyed it and I thought it was fine, which tracks.

But why the hell is Sean Foley featured? He's a fucking nobody. To put "Tiger Woods's former coach" under his name tells you all you need to know about his place in the game. He still works with Justin Rose and Lee Westwood, and Westwood is included in the show, so it seems like you'd put that there. He's a zero and his parts were useless.

And just using Amanda Renner as just someone to explain basic stuff does her an injustice. She covers these guys every damn week!
But Sean Foley has cool glasses and looks stylish.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Watched 2 more episodes last night and this morning:

- The Dustin Johnson/Matt Fitzpatrick one:
  • What kind of people go to golf tournaments to shout abuse at a player? Makes no sense to me. And the "Baba-booey/Get in the hole" guys should be kicked out immediately.
  • Fitzpatrick seems a bit OCD to me...he charts every shot on the range? Really?
  • Dustin Johnson doesn't seem like the smartest guy in the world.
  • His line of "Work Less, get paid more? Everyone would do that" line...um, not everyone is willing to sell out to a murderous regime.
- The Tony Finau episode:
  • As soon as the chyron said "Lehi, Utah" I thought "Hmm....didn't know he was Mormon"
  • 5 kids is a lot of kids