Reading 2023

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Reading 2023

Post by Rush2112 »

Real fascinating "journal" concentrating on the history surrounding the author's farm in Southern Scotland.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Reading 2023

Post by govmentchedda »

My library Libby account doesn't have that one, but another one by Moffat is free on Kindle unlimited. Gonna check it out.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

When we vacationed in Scotland and England last spring, we spent a good deal of time at our friends’ home in Kelso, in the Scottish Borders. That is Moffat’s hometown.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

About 3/4 through Streets of Laredo which I’m enjoying more than Lonesome Dove tbh.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:52 pm When we vacationed in Scotland and England last spring, we spent a good deal of time at our friends’ home in Kelso, in the Scottish Borders. That is Moffat’s hometown.
My son's friend goes by her middle name, Kelso. Had no idea it was Scottish until I started reading the book I could get for free by Moffat, The Hidden Ways. It's about him walking centuries old roads and paths across Scotland. Only a little ways in, and I'm a fan.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:50 pm About 3/4 through Streets of Laredo which I’m enjoying more than Lonesome Dove tbh.
People LOVE Lonesome Dove. It's on my list of books to get around to. I'll have to add Streets of Laredo.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:50 pm About 3/4 through Streets of Laredo which I’m enjoying more than Lonesome Dove tbh.
I am disowning you.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:29 pm
I am disowning you.
You’re no Captain Call and I’m no Newt.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:03 pm
People LOVE Lonesome Dove. It's on my list of books to get around to. I'll have to add Streets of Laredo.
Definitely read Lonesome Dove first.

I’ve only read one of his Houston series so I’m probably going to tackle that one next. I weirdly really liked the movie Terms of Endearment as a kid so I’m interested in reading that one.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

He’s just a tremendous author and that’s the tea.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I really wanted to take a detour through Archer City on our recent trip to Santa Fe, but it says his old bookstore is temporarily closed. I really took in the scenery on this drive since that was the book I was reading.
Last edited by Giff on Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I also feel like I’ll laugh at this opinion in 20 years. It’s like how I thought Die Hard 2 was superior to the first one for way too many years.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:41 pm He’s just a tremendous author and that’s the tea.
And, I’d say right now, his son is my favorite lyricist.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I read Jenette McCurdy's book I'm Glad My Mom Died.

Not gunna lie, I saw some traits of my mom in her mom. Luckily, however, I was out of the house just before I turned 18 and I was able to make it on my own without her influencing me too much. There were still issues, but staying in the military saved me from worse ones.

Totally recommend.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:44 pm I read Jenette McCurdy's book I'm Glad My Mom Died.

Not gunna lie, I saw some traits of my mom in her mom. Luckily, however, I was out of the house just before I turned 18 and I was able to make it on my own without her influencing me too much. There were still issues, but staying in the military saved me from worse ones.

Totally recommend.
Listened to her read it and enjoyed it as much as I could enjoy a book about a child star with a crazy mom. I’d recommend. I knew who she was because my kids were iCarly fans.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

bfj wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:45 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:44 pm I read Jenette McCurdy's book I'm Glad My Mom Died.

Totally recommend.
Listened to her read it and enjoyed it as much as I could enjoy a book about a child star with a crazy mom. I’d recommend. I knew who she was because my kids were iCarly fans.
I had heard of her because she was linked to NBA player Andre Drummond. She's 5'2".

It's like looking at pictures of The Mountain from GoT and his wife.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm enjoying this one waaaaaaay more than I thought I would.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

This one was pretty good as well, especially if you enjoy amusement parks like I do. I don't remember enough of Disneyland to really get too into it though.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:22 am I'm enjoying this one waaaaaaay more than I thought I would.

It's really good. Might be the only book I finished last year.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I broke my record of 52 by one. I think I remember now you recommending this.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

My wife encouraged me to make a list of 23 things I want to accomplish this year.

One of the things I want to do is read more Dickens. I've only read "Great Expectations," so where should I go next?
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:48 pm My wife encouraged me to make a list of 23 things I want to accomplish this year.

One of the things I want to do is read more Dickens. I've only read "Great Expectations," so where should I go next?
I can only assume Mister D has multiple “…” responses in different tabs and is pacing like Ryan gosling in the papyrus sNL sketch.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

As read by the author. Weird and funny memoir.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:48 pm My wife encouraged me to make a list of 23 things I want to accomplish this year.

Maybe the one referenced on the last page of Pachinko: David Copperfield.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Just leave dickens alone. Find new shit by interesting people.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:44 pm Just leave dickens alone. Find new shit by interesting people.
Humbug!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm working with a "sleep therapist" to try and figure out my insomnia issues, and she's told me to not read my kindle before bed anymore. So I'm getting "analog" books out of the library again.

Just finished this:

Which was pretty interesting. I'm a semi-regular reader of hit "The #1's" column on Stereogum, so I was already familiar with a lot of the material covered here.

Now onto this one:

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:10 pm I'm working with a "sleep therapist" to try and figure out my insomnia issues, and she's told me to not read my kindle before bed anymore. So I'm getting "analog" books out of the library again.

I had insomnia for 6 or 7 years. One week of law school cured me. You might consider giving that a shot.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:10 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:10 pm I'm working with a "sleep therapist" to try and figure out my insomnia issues, and she's told me to not read my kindle before bed anymore. So I'm getting "analog" books out of the library again.

I had insomnia for 6 or 7 years. One week of law school cured me. You might consider giving that a shot.
I don't see law school in my future.

Its been bad for the last few years. Go to sleep ok (usually) but wake up between 12:30 - 3am, and then its a roll of the dice if I'm going to be able to fall back asleep. And if I do, I don't sleep later than 4-5am.

My New Years Resolution was to try and do something about this, so that's why I'm seeing this sleep therapist.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Chuckling at the large print pic. That book sounds interesting though!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:14 am Chuckling at the large print pic. That book sounds interesting though!
It was the only image I could get to link as a .jpg, and I didn't want to go to the work of putting it on imgur and resizing it. So, there you go.

The book is a quick breeze of a read. I understand its the first of a series (although I haven't yet read the others), about a group of four funny 70/80 year-olds who live in an old folks home in England, and get together to solve old cold-case murders (and the new ones that pop up).
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Listened to 20 hours of Bono talking and singing a little bit. Some interesting stuff about the early days of the band and stories behind some of the songs, but there is a lot of Bono being Bono, so if you don't like him, hearing this book would drive you crazy. My U2 fanaticism faded a bit over the last 10 years, but this was a great reminder of why I got into them so much. Also, the name droppping is just ridiculous...4 of the 5 most recent US presidents, Mandela, the Pope, Princess Di, George Soros, Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, and a few musicians too.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I haven't thought much about this since it happened, but this book is very good and eye-opening.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

That is an absolutely incredible and chilling book.

Not a spoiler to say that when I finished that book a number of years ago, I thought that the writer did a great job of showing the warning signs that were ignored by so many, and I actually felt briefly that it wasn't going to happen again. Or at least, not very often.
Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:29 am Image

I haven't thought much about this since it happened, but this book is very good and eye-opening.
That's a fantastic book. Shatters so many of the myths that still surround the Columbine shootings, such as the Casey Bernall "She said yes" one, that Republican politians still trot out.

Cullen is also a good follow on Twitter.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:00 pm Also, the name droppping is just ridiculous...4 of the 5 most recent US presidents, Mandela, the Pope, Princess Di, George Soros, Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, and a few musicians too.
Let me guess...which was the one President he didn't discuss....
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:05 am
EdRomero wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:00 pm Also, the name droppping is just ridiculous...4 of the 5 most recent US presidents, Mandela, the Pope, Princess Di, George Soros, Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, and a few musicians too.
Let me guess...which was the one President he didn't discuss....
Oh, he discussed him. Just never talked to or hung out with him like the others. He discussed MLK's instruction to find 1 good thing about a person and start the discussion there. It worked for GW. With Trump, he still hasn't found what he's looking for.