Reading 2023

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EdRomero
Donny

Re: Reading 2023

Post by EdRomero »

I loved this book. A lot of sad stuff with drug and child abuse, but the narrator is so good and the book does a great job describing and explaining the people in Appalachia -- almost a defense of rednecks.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Just finished this one on my trip out to California for my nephew's high school graduation. I'm still going through a Spotify playlist of all songs mentioned in the book in the order they're referenced. I knew of him but didn't realize his scope. Really enjoyed both the book and the playlist.

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:53 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:56 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:15 pm Hole Moley!

Halfway through and all I want to do is keep reading.

He was the guest on this weeks episode of The Distraction (the defector podcast with Drew Magery and David Roth) and was great.
Also a guest on Russillo's podcast on April 18th.

His book Killers of the Flower Moon has a movie coming out soon. The trailer just came out recently. Scorsese flick staring DiCaprio and DeNiro.
I'm about 2/3 of the way through The Wager. I really like his writing style.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I've got Killers of the Flower Moon and the second in the Thursday Murder Club series both on Libby right now. Really need to set aside some time to read.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've got seven books that I've acquired over the last few weeks that I'm terribly excited for, including The Wager. Starting with the one I'm least excited about:

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Subtitle: One summer in Egypt.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:29 pm Subtitle: One summer in Egypt.
In which case, I've already read the book.

Canadian International
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Lots of good stuff posted here!

I just finished Lucinda Williams’ new memoir. Pretty interesting life, and she isn’t shy about detailing her fairly busy love life. Sort of surprised to see Paul Westerberg and Ryan Adams included.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Finished this last night...interesting part of US history that I didn't know much about.

Wow, was Woodrow Wilson a horrible person. Might be in the running for worst President ever.

And it was wild reading how he went to Paris to to negotiate the Treaty of Versailles (and then it got rejected by the US Senate)...for 6 months! I realize it was a different time, but the President was out of the country for 6 months! And then he had a stroke and pretty much was disabled and out of sight for the last year of his administration.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Second of this series I've read. Talks a lot about the Beastie's rebelling against the LIscensed To Ill pigeon hole and then the technical aspects of how they created the record. Pretty interesting short read.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:08 pm I've got Killers of the Flower Moon and the second in the Thursday Murder Club series both on Libby right now. Really need to set aside some time to read.
Killers of the Flower Moon is fantastic. About halfway through. Really looking forward to the movie.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

This is maybe my favorite current writer. Also a mention of one of my favorite bands!

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Am I the only person who sees this thread and think it refers to a music festival before remembering what it really is?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:04 pm This is maybe my favorite current writer. Also a mention of one of my favorite bands!

I recently read Razor Blade Tears by SA Cosby based on a recommendation from Anthony Jeselnik.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That was an amazing book.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Pirates! Adventure! Hard to put down!

Canadian International
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hey! I read that book. Love old pirate stuff.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I've read Kingsolver stuff before, so I started her latest a couple of days ago:

And so far...its good...well-written, but pretty damn bleak so far. Really hoping there's a payoff/happy ending at some point.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Starting

Just finished
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:44 pm

He was the guest on this weeks episode of The Distraction (the defector podcast with Drew Magery and David Roth) and was great.

His book Killers of the Flower Moon has a movie coming out soon. The trailer just came out recently. Scorsese flick staring DiCaprio and DeNiro.
Just picked this up at the airport. I read the first chapter on my short flight. I’m all in.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:33 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:44 pm

Just picked this up at the airport. I read the first chapter on my short flight. I’m all in.
Listening to it now. Absolutely insane.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EdRomero wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:39 am Image
I loved this book. A lot of sad stuff with drug and child abuse, but the narrator is so good and the book does a great job describing and explaining the people in Appalachia -- almost a defense of rednecks.
My thoughts, 30% into it.
[+] spoiler
I'm at the point where his mom dies, and its so damn sad. And what's really getting to me is thinking about how many kids in this country are in that same kind of shitty situation.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Demon Copperhead is such a great example of the power of fiction. We know how bad poverty, drug use, etc is in the country, but you think it sucks and then move on to the next thing. This book is just gut wrenching as it so vividly shows the effects on a child, and then to think there are so many out there going through similar stuff, so it just sticks with you.

I put in a Libby request for The Wager, but whenever it becomes available, I push it back because I'm very slowly reading Wendig's Wayward. About 70% through and started to think I don't like it much. I like some characters and I want to know what will happen, but this one seems to be playing out like a horror movie thriller, while the first book had so much more intrigue.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:15 am Demon Copperhead is such a great example of the power of fiction. We know how bad poverty, drug use, etc is in the country, but you think it sucks and then move on to the next thing. This book is just gut wrenching as it so vividly shows the effects on a child, and then to think there are so many out there going through similar stuff, so it just sticks with you.

I put in a Libby request for The Wager, but whenever it becomes available, I push it back because I'm very slowly reading Wendig's Wayward. About 70% through and started to think I don't like it much. I like some characters and I want to know what will happen, but this one seems to be playing out like a horror movie thriller, while the first book had so much more intrigue.
Agree completely on Wayward.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Just finished this. #2 in the Thursday Murder Club series. Charming as hell again. I read the first one and listened to this one. I'm not sure if there was an actual tonal shift in the writing of the characters or if it just felt different listening instead of reading. Definitely recommend it.

Reading this aloud to my 9 year old each night at bed time. It's sort of like sneaking vegetables into a meal in that it's modeled after the myth of Hercules' 12 labors. The protagonist starts with an attitude a little reminiscent of Holden Caulfield, but that fades away a bit as you get into the book. It's perfect for 8-12 yo boy.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:15 am Demon Copperhead is such a great example of the power of fiction. We know how bad poverty, drug use, etc is in the country, but you think it sucks and then move on to the next thing. This book is just gut wrenching as it so vividly shows the effects on a child, and then to think there are so many out there going through similar stuff, so it just sticks with you.
I completely agree with you about this, but I still wasn't very thrilled with how it ended.
[+] spoiler
I HATED that all of a sudden he ended up driving off into the sunset with Angus. Just seemed way too contrived.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

About 60% through this:

Follow-up/sequel to "Harlem Shuffle". So far, its great...but Whitehead is such a great writer that it's almost like writing something like this is almost too easy for him. But its great that he can introduce a character, give you about 2 paragraphs of background, and you feel like you know that person and are ready for a spin-off series of books on them.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Will put "Harlem Shuffle" on my list for sure.

This is one of the funniest books I've read since Mordechai Richler died.

Quite a backstory on this book - published and forgotten in the early 80s, became a cult book and was recently rereleased. It is rare for me to laugh when reading, but this one has been making me do it constantly.
Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Not sure how it ended up on my list, but I'm reading "Waterloo" by Bernard Cornwell.

There's a bit about one of the Prussian Generals...74 year old Prince Gebhard Leberecht von Blucher. It says:
He was popular, much loved by his troops and, famously, prone to bouts of mental illness during which he believed himself pregnant with an elephant fathered by a French infantryman.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Still really enjoying this series. This one got a bit muddled with extra characters around 25-30% in, but it hit its rhythm again. About 2/3 done.

Book #4 comes out in two weeks.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The 9 year old and I should finish this tonight.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:22 pm Not sure how it ended up on my list, but I'm reading "Waterloo" by Bernard Cornwell.

There's a bit about one of the Prussian Generals...74 year old Prince Gebhard Leberecht von Blucher. It says:
He was popular, much loved by his troops and, famously, prone to bouts of mental illness during which he believed himself pregnant with an elephant fathered by a French infantryman.
Wait, what?!
Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:01 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:22 pm Not sure how it ended up on my list, but I'm reading "Waterloo" by Bernard Cornwell.

Wait, what?!
Exactly. I even highlighted it on my Kindle so I'd remember the exact wording.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rocks and glass houses and what not fellas.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:21 pm Rocks and glass houses and what not fellas.
Who amongst us hasn't been pregnant with an elephant fathered by a french infantryman?
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Was he related to Frau Blucher?
Canadian International
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’ve read a ton of Bernard Cornwell’s historical fiction series’. Very enjoyable stuff.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

First new fiction book by the author of my favourite fiction book (The River Why?) in over 30 years.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:44 pm Was he related to Frau Blucher?