Doc: The Umentary Type

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Doc: The Umentary Type

Post by sancarlos »

The new Jason Isbell documentary premieres today. Here’s a preview from Rolling Stone.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:02 pm The new Jason Isbell documentary premieres today. Here’s a preview from Rolling Stone.
Not sure how many folks here still listen to the Bill Simmons podcast, but he had Isbell on for a fairly lengthy interview (I think Simmons is involved in the production of the doc) earlier this wee. It was really interesting.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:55 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:02 pm The new Jason Isbell documentary premieres today. Here’s a preview from Rolling Stone.
Not sure how many folks here still listen to the Bill Simmons podcast, but he had Isbell on for a fairly lengthy interview (I think Simmons is involved in the production of the doc) earlier this wee. It was really interesting.
Yeah Simmons is executive producer of all the Music Box documentaries on HBO (the Woodstock and Alanis Morrisette ones are also quite good).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm barely 30 minutes into HBO's The Invisible Pilot and I can tell... This shit is spicy.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Something to look forward to...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Documentary Now S4 is on Netflix now and as delightfully insane as ever.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Alexander Skarsgård channeling Werner Herzog is amazing.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

brian wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:42 pm Documentary Now S4 is on Netflix now and as delightfully insane as ever.
How They Threw Rocks is so damn good
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EdRomero wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:06 am
brian wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:42 pm Documentary Now S4 is on Netflix now and as delightfully insane as ever.
I think I had an Alwyn Lewis-Ifans rookie card.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:37 pm Something to look forward to...

We watched this last night...and it was decidedly "meh".

Great to see the concert footage, and the amazing 70's disco stuff, but didn't really learn much about Summer herself.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

In unsurprising news, I am completely unfamiliar with this guy and his art.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:24 pm In unsurprising news, I am completely unfamiliar with this guy and his art.
Dude is awesome. Completely hilarious too. He just makes music live in the moment.

This video is a great start if you're interested:

And oddly enough, you saw a small snippet in the trailer, but he went semi-viral years and years ago because of this video:

(The video popped up on Reddit recently and someone in the comments had said that if that woman bought Apple stock with that cash she would've been a millionaire living off the dividends.)
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

When did he get jacked?
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:45 pm When did he get jacked?
Right? That was shocking. I fell into a rabbit hole of this guy's work during lockdown. Im sure I found him here. Seems like a cool guy. Hilarious seeing that video of him as a kid.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, uh, this is something.

Make mermaid cosplay your lifestyle and identity. Oh, and apparently it's a half billion dollar industry.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The American Gladiators Documentary is probably 10% of what you think it’s going to be about but still manages to kill 3 hours in a fun way
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There’s a Netflix doc coming on the Urban Meyer-era Florida Gators that is supposed to be fire.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:35 am The American Gladiators Documentary is probably 10% of what you think it’s going to be about but still manages to kill 3 hours in a fun way
Shit it was three hours? I caught the last 75 minutes or so and was going to agree but maybe I missed more than I thought.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:16 pm There’s a Netflix doc coming on the Urban Meyer-era Florida Gators that is supposed to be fire.
I assume this will be part of the doc, as he's been behind bars since his arrest. Pled no contest yesterday to killing his GF, the mother of his children.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:04 am
brian wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:16 pm There’s a Netflix doc coming on the Urban Meyer-era Florida Gators that is supposed to be fire.
I assume this will be part of the doc, as he's been behind bars since his arrest. Pled no contest yesterday to killing his GF, the mother of his children.
I was looking for, but could not find the production company/producers of the documentary the other day, which will tell what kind of coverage of the program there will be.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Bama Rush is a pretty interesting doc, for anyone whose social media feeds were flooded with all those stupid sorority rush clips a couple years back.

Why those girls put themselves through that is baffling. And, man... I didn't like Alabama for football reasons before, but getting a glimpse at the culture there... Not surprising, but hoo boy what a hell scape of a culture for anyone not white and affluent.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:59 am
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:04 am
I was looking for, but could not find the production company/producers of the documentary the other day, which will tell what kind of coverage of the program there will be.
Yeah, it’s going to be under the “Untold” banner of sports docs but that’s been a mixed bag so far. The Malice at The Palace one was OK but one-sided.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Former Florida player Brandon Siler being the "leak" announcing the name and airdate with an email asking him to wear a sweatshirt with the name of the documentary doesn't seem promising on being unbiased. That said, the brothers who produced/directed it have done some good stuff previously.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:35 am The American Gladiators Documentary is probably 10% of what you think it’s going to be about but still manages to kill 3 hours in a fun way
Looks like Netflix has a doc coming out soon with a lot of the gladiators (Nitro) who didn’t participate in the ESPN doc.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:17 pm
Looks like Netflix has a doc coming out soon with a lot of the gladiators (Nitro) who didn’t participate in the ESPN doc.
Yeah, I just saw that, having finally gotten around to finishing the ESPN version.

The characters really got screwed, which the ESPN version covered pretty fully. I trust Netflix to make it interesting, but a lot of bitching about the one founder that screwed everyone isn't really gonna be something I'll stick with.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:20 am
Yeah, I just saw that, having finally gotten around to finishing the ESPN version.

The characters really got screwed, which the ESPN version covered pretty fully. I trust Netflix to make it interesting, but a lot of bitching about the one founder that screwed everyone isn't really gonna be something I'll stick with.
The ESPN documentary got a little into the "sex and drugs" part of the gladiators offscreen and I would imagine that the Netflix one will dip into that a little more, if only because you get a lot more interesting snippets to put out in advertising the documentary.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'm a simple man. I just want behind the scenes footage of every single event from idea to construction and then a bunch of huge tackles and shit.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Watched this over the weekend. Berman only being on screen with his mic and headphones got to me. Then I saw the connection to Vice Media on this and got the story telling style a bit more.

Thoughts:
* Creators/Partners upset about money..who would have guessed.
* Wanted a whole lot more about the design/testing of the games....there is lots they could have pulled
* Loved the focus on 2 Scoops..was way more story to tell there
* Felt like the gladiators interviewed were represented as fair in their comments...what was good, what was bad, what caused friction.
* Forgot about the 2008 hulk hogan revisit (and why it was brought back....writers strike), dinner theater, and traveling show
* What a great way to try and prime the pump for a Gladiator relaunch...which BBC already announced

Discussion:
* What is most compelling 1.) America Ninja Warrior 2.) Pros versus Joes 3.) American Gladiators 4.) Sport Specific (big break, ultimate fighter, contender) 5.) Battle Bots 6.) Other
********** The problem with Gladiators and Pros v. Joes was the lack of head to head for the competitors (competitors for experts).
*********** I find Ninja Warrior boring. Repetitive course (cheaper production) meant the focused on story telling of competitors and terrible interactions with fans.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Finally got around to watching the Beatles doc “Get Back” and it was fascinating at times and boring as fuck at times.

It’s amazing to see the rooftop concert with so many angles though. Imagine being one of the assholes that close to the Beatles last ever live performance and complaining about it.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:56 am

Watched this over the weekend. Berman only being on screen with his mic and headphones got to me. Then I saw the connection to Vice Media on this and got the story telling style a bit more.

Thoughts:
* Creators/Partners upset about money..who would have guessed.
* Wanted a whole lot more about the design/testing of the games....there is lots they could have pulled
* Loved the focus on 2 Scoops..was way more story to tell there
* Felt like the gladiators interviewed were represented as fair in their comments...what was good, what was bad, what caused friction.
* Forgot about the 2008 hulk hogan revisit (and why it was brought back....writers strike), dinner theater, and traveling show
* What a great way to try and prime the pump for a Gladiator relaunch...which BBC already announced

Discussion:
* What is most compelling 1.) America Ninja Warrior 2.) Pros versus Joes 3.) American Gladiators 4.) Sport Specific (big break, ultimate fighter, contender) 5.) Battle Bots 6.) Other
********** The problem with Gladiators and Pros v. Joes was the lack of head to head for the competitors (competitors for experts).
*********** I find Ninja Warrior boring. Repetitive course (cheaper production) meant the focused on story telling of competitors and terrible interactions with fans.
Finished the 5 episode Netflix doc on the Gladiators. Probably 2 episodes too long. There was 1 good doc between the 2 of them...but some good stuff in both series.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I finally got around to watching Blaze Foley: Duct Tape Messiah. On one hand, Blaze was a hard-drinking, dissolute, often-homeless character who got thrown out of many of the bars in Austin that he ever visited, and who self-destoyed every chance he ever had for success in the music business. On the other hand, he and his songwriting were hailed, covered and/or had tribute songs on albums by the likes of Willie Nelson, John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, Lucinda Williams, Merle Haggard, Lyle Lovett, Nanci Griffith, and others!

Here’s an excerpt of lyrics from Lucinda Williams’ tribute song about Blaze Foley. It kind of sums him up.:

…Followers would cling to you
Hang around just to meet you
Some threw roses at your feet
And watch you pass out on the street
Drunken Angel

Feed you and pay off all your debts
Kiss your brow, taste your sweat
Write about your soul, your guts
Criticize you and wish you luck
Drunken Angel

Drunken Angel
You're on the other side
Drunken Angel
You're on the other side

Some kind of savior singing the blues
A derelict in your duct tape shoes
Your orphan clothes and your long dark hair
Looking like you didn't care
Drunken Angel…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Showtime doc on Will Chamberlain (Goliath) is pretty decent. Not exceptional just very good.

Maybe most noteworthy because Wilt himself narrates a lot of it from his own writings using voice AI (with permission of his estate)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I enjoyed the Bill Walton 30 for 30 doc. The ultimate what could have been basketball story, IMO.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:00 am I enjoyed the Bill Walton 30 for 30 doc. The ultimate what could have been basketball story, IMO.
I did, too, but
[+] spoiler
I was very surprised they basically glossed over his thoughts of suicide. They gave it a few minutes of lip service at the end of the four hours. His story is immense (college playing career, college student life, drafted by/injuries/championship/off-court life in Portland, wasted years with the Clippers, trade to/playing in Boston, post-playing career life - parent of college players and an NBA player/coach, the Grateful Dead stuff, announcer), but they barely touched on his suicidal thoughts and it was also weird there was no mention of the mother of his children.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:43 am
Giff wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:00 am I enjoyed the Bill Walton 30 for 30 doc. The ultimate what could have been basketball story, IMO.
I did, too, but
[+] spoiler
I was very surprised they basically glossed over his thoughts of suicide. They gave it a few minutes of lip service at the end of the four hours. His story is immense (college playing career, college student life, drafted by/injuries/championship/off-court life in Portland, wasted years with the Clippers, trade to/playing in Boston, post-playing career life - parent of college players and an NBA player/coach, the Grateful Dead stuff, announcer), but they barely touched on his suicidal thoughts and it was also weird there was no mention of the mother of his children.
[+] spoiler
I do agree it was weird there was no mention of the mother. RE: suicide aspect, while I wish they could have gone on longer, I thought what he said was very poignant and would go a long way to help dispel myths about suicide. It is not a selfish decision in most cases. It is compete and utter despair where suicide literally seems like the only option. Having that close to the family made those four minutes very emotional for me.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

One of the funniest things I've seen in a long, long time.
Canadian International
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt IV wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:52 pm
[/quote
One of the funniest things I've seen in a long, long time.
Tom Jones as the cop!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yesterday was the 36th anniversary of the crash of Northwest Flight 255, the second-worst plane crash in American history and one of the only commercial aviation crashes where there was a sole survivor. In that one, a 4-year-old girl.

Discovered a doc on Max (Sole Survivor) about the 14 people. Pretty interesting.