Jeeves Works for the Government: Scheduling Advice

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Keg
The Big Lebowski

Jeeves Works for the Government: Scheduling Advice

Post by Keg »

I am getting furloughed starting this week. Instead of working (and getting paid for) 40 hours per week, we are only working 32 hours per week until mid Spetember. Management is being nice enough to allow us to choose how to take those 8 hours per week off (other commands force employees to take a certain day off - usually Fridays).

How do you guys suggest I take this time off? I don't have any commitments other than my job during the week so I have no restraints (for example, I dont have to drop kids off at school at a certain time, I am not taking night classes, I don't have a second job, etc). Should I take every Monday off? Fridays? Wednesdays? A couple of hours per day? What would you do if you were in my situation?
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Jeeves Works for the Government: Scheduling Advice

Post by A_B »

Keg wrote:I am getting furloughed starting this week. Instead of working (and getting paid for) 40 hours per week, we are only working 32 hours per week until mid Spetember. Management is being nice enough to allow us to choose how to take those 8 hours per week off (other commands force employees to take a certain day off - usually Fridays).

How do you guys suggest I take this time off? I don't have any commitments other than my job during the week so I have no restraints (for example, I dont have to drop kids off at school at a certain time, I am not taking night classes, I don't have a second job, etc). Should I take every Monday off? Fridays? Wednesdays? A couple of hours per day? What would you do if you were in my situation?
One hour M-Thurs, half a day on Fridays.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'd continue working 40 hours without pay because I love serving my country that damn much.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

If you're not planning/needing a long weekend, take wednesday. I was in this scenario a few years back and felt I was more productive because I got more rest and knew I was never more than two days from my next day off.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'd go in late every day.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'm with the Fanny.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

The Sybian wrote:I'd continue working 40 hours without pay because I love serving my country that damn much.
They made it a point to let us all know that working more than 32 hours (ie working for free) was against the law and would not be tolerated. I think they are adamant about this because if we are somehow able to get the same amount of work done with a 20% budget cut, then congress/pentagon will make that budget cut permanent. The Navy also needs to be able to show how crushing the sequestration has been to our defenses/readiness, so that congress doesnt F with us again.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I get the Rams Fan logic and can't argue with it, but I'd probably take Fridays off because there's usually good stuff going on Thursdays and sleeping in and getting Fridays off would be nice. During football season I'd probably take Mondays instead since it would easier to cut loose on Sundays if desired.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

i'd get a sweet ass job as a contractor and not have to worry about it.

(actually, i'm kind of jealous of the civvies. workin' sucks.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Keg wrote:
The Sybian wrote:I'd continue working 40 hours without pay because I love serving my country that damn much.
They made it a point to let us all know that working more than 32 hours (ie working for free) was against the law and would not be tolerated. I think they are adamant about this because if we are somehow able to get the same amount of work done with a 20% budget cut, then congress/pentagon will make that budget cut permanent. The Navy also needs to be able to show how crushing the sequestration has been to our defenses/readiness, so that congress doesnt F with us again.

Work slowdown!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

I'd go with taking Friday off. If you travel it's easier and I feel like if I had wednesday off, I'd never get in a groove for the week.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Do you have to stick to the same schedule every week? If so, I'd probably pick Friday or Monday to take off, but if not, Wednesday would be my day and then would use Friday or Monday when needed.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Giff wrote:Do you have to stick to the same schedule every week? If so, I'd probably pick Friday or Monday to take off, but if not, Wednesday would be my day and then would use Friday or Monday when needed.
I can change the day off every week (it doesnt have to be the same day off every week). They asked us to figure out our schedule ahead of time so that management can plan ahead.

Another reason to take Wednesday off is that most people are taking Mon or Fri off, so it will be nice and quiet around the office on those days.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Personally, I'd alternate Fridays and Mondays, so that way you could have a four days off in a row. So, first week, work Monday through Thursday, then off Friday through Monday, then work Tuesday through Friday, off Saturday and Sunday, and repeat. Long weekends are great for releasing work-related stress.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

I woke up today thinking it was Saturday. Having Wednesdays off is f'n great.