Jeeves smokes meat

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Jeeves smokes meat

Post by The Sybian »

Looking to buy a smoker and overwhelmed by the options differences in prices.

I'm thinking I want to go with a pellet smoker with automatic heat control. I'd like to be able to set it and not have to stand over it all day adjusting controls. The WiFi controls seem like a cool idea, but I get the sense it isn't really necessary if you get one that adjusts airflow and flow of pellets to maintain temperature. Traeger seems like you are paying for the name. Brands like Camp Chef and ZGrill get good reviews... Looking for any advice or reviews on whatever brands you guys might be using. Also open to different types of smokers.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Jeeves smokes meat

Post by govmentchedda »

Parents have a Traeger and I fucking hate it. That being said, I hate it because they try and use it as a grill. It fucking sucks as a grill. It's probably a good smoker. This hasn't helped, I'm sure. It does seem to hold it's temperature, if it's display is to be believed.

Side note, I really wanted a ceramic cooker. Big Green Egg, to be exact. That was out of my budget, so I bought an Akorn Kamado grill. I've grilled and slow cooked with it (mostly grilling), and really like it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

From a couple years ago:

From last year:

His channel is great.

I personally have a Traeger (pellet grill) that has been pretty good. I think I got it on sale and additionally discounted because of the 10% off for military. But you're right that it is a bit more expensive because of the name.

From that dude's videos, it seems like the Green Mountain Grill Ledge Prime is a good choice at $899. I'd probably go with that if my Traeger ever breaks. (There's also a larger model called the Peak Prime that's $200 more.)

And then there's also this video that was suggested by my watching his channel:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you're interesting in misogynistic or homophobic shit, just google search "pellet grill meme".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:20 pm If you're interesting in misogynistic or homophobic shit, just google search "pellet grill meme".
Antisemitic too? Or is that limited to ovens?

If you're buying Traeger, be sure to research the pellets you buy. We have a class action going against them because they misrepresented their pellets. Their hickory pellets aren't made of hickory, and their mesquite pellets aren't made of mesquite.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:06 pm Parents have a Traeger and I fucking hate it. That being said, I hate it because they try and use it as a grill. It fucking sucks as a grill. It's probably a good smoker. This hasn't helped, I'm sure. It does seem to hold it's temperature, if it's display is to be believed.

Side note, I really wanted a ceramic cooker. Big Green Egg, to be exact. That was out of my budget, so I bought an Akorn Kamado grill. I've grilled and slow cooked with it (mostly grilling), and really like it.
I have a Traeger and love it. I confirm your parents are doing it SUPER wrong. It is an amazing smoker and simple enough for even me.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:10 pm
mister d wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:20 pm If you're interesting in misogynistic or homophobic shit, just google search "pellet grill meme".
Antisemitic too? Or is that limited to ovens?

If you're buying Traeger, be sure to research the pellets you buy. We have a class action going against them because they misrepresented their pellets. Their hickory pellets aren't made of hickory, and their mesquite pellets aren't made of mesquite.
That's a fun consumer class action - nice find.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You gonna tell me bubbleicious ain't really grape?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:15 pm You gonna tell me bubbleicious ain't really grape?
No, but artificial grape >>> real grape so they skate
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Tragers are a money grab. I got a friend who is a serious smoker and he says there's nothing that special about them if you know how to smoke meat.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Now....I'm going the opposite way. I'm looking for a new propane grill. I have a Char-Broil 5-Burner model that I'm looking to replace. I've had it for about 6 years, and its on its last legs...I've replaced most of the parts on it multiple times, but I've decided that I'm just going to replace it instead.

Wirecutter says that this one: Weber Spirit II E-310 3-Burner Liquid Propane Grill, Black is the best, but does anyone else have recommendations?

*Note: Not that I'm against smoking stuff, on occasion, but I generally don't have the time nor inclination for that. A lot of times I'm just looking to grill a piece of salmon or some chicken for dinner. And I do have a charcoal Weber kettle that I can use if I really want to smoke something.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:29 am Now....I'm going the opposite way. I'm looking for a new propane grill. I have a Char-Broil 5-Burner model that I'm looking to replace. I've had it for about 6 years, and its on its last legs...I've replaced most of the parts on it multiple times, but I've decided that I'm just going to replace it instead.

Wirecutter says that this one: Weber Spirit II E-310 3-Burner Liquid Propane Grill, Black is the best, but does anyone else have recommendations?

*Note: Not that I'm against smoking stuff, on occasion, but I generally don't have the time nor inclination for that. A lot of times I'm just looking to grill a piece of salmon or some chicken for dinner. And I do have a charcoal Weber kettle that I can use if I really want to smoke something.
Pretty sure that's the exact same grill I have. I think I am on year 5 (but maybe 4) and it's as good as the day I opened it. I've found so long as you keep it clean (ish - I'm not saying deep clean it after one round of burgers and dogs) you should be good. Keeps heat in very well compared to my previous grill from Sams club. And no dead spots I can find so far.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:32 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:29 am Now....I'm going the opposite way. I'm looking for a new propane grill. I have a Char-Broil 5-Burner model that I'm looking to replace. I've had it for about 6 years, and its on its last legs...I've replaced most of the parts on it multiple times, but I've decided that I'm just going to replace it instead.

Pretty sure that's the exact same grill I have. I think I am on year 5 (but maybe 4) and it's as good as the day I opened it. I've found so long as you keep it clean (ish - I'm not saying deep clean it after one round of burgers and dogs) you should be good. Keeps heat in very well compared to my previous grill from Sams club. And no dead spots I can find so far.
Samsies! I can also attest if you don't keep it all that clean-ish, you should be good.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I just had a bad flareup once that was totally my fault for not getting grates brushed perfectly and the drip tray was a bit more full than I realized.

Go ahead and order a tray of the replacement drip pans. They are pretty cheap and I now change mine way more frequently.

I'm actually due to scrub my grates and diffusers, actually.

ETA: So exact isn't the word, because mine is in Blue, but I come by it honest. Same model, though!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd check the Spirit out in person first ... its pretty small which is good if you're only cooking for a few at all times but rough if you ever entertain or want to do bigger cuts. I'm on the opposite end here, I haven't used my gas in 3-4 years and have considered giving it away. Yours if you want to make the trip, just make sure you secure it in the moving truck because they tip over easier than you'd think and its a pain in the ass replacing the temp knobs and hardware behind it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

I had a Traeger. Hated it. It had so many issues, I had swapped out the fan and internal controls because of issues, thought it was doing better then the auger motor died. Luckily I bought it from Costco so I was able to return it for a full refund.

I have a recteq now and it has been great. Completely hands off for long cooks, as long as there are enough pellets. Holds with 1-2 degrees for hours. We are eating more vegetarian these days so it doesn't get as much use as it used to. But it's good for burgers and chicken in addition to the longer cooks. Tops out around 500 degrees so not as great for steaks as other grills.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Don't build your own like the guy in our development. He finished it over the winter and is yet to take the maiden voyage.

Also, be sure you're going to use it enough to make it worth the investment. We have friends who got one several years ago, but have not used it the last two years due to travel sports eating up their weekends.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That last part is my problem right now. Its rare I have a weekend day wide open and, if I do, its likely because of rain.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:41 pm That last part is my problem right now. Its rare I have a weekend day wide open and, if I do, its likely because of rain.
My lofty thought is that since I work from home most days, I could throw something on the smoker on a weekday.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I've had a decent off-brand propane grill for about 10 years. It's been good, but like DiS, rather than replace more parts, I'm leaning towards a new grill.

But, what to get? Propane grills work fast and easy and are recommended by noted grilling expert Hank Hill. But, I kind of miss the taste of smoke I used to get from the old Weber kettle I used to have, but I don't want to go to the work of using charcoal. So, maybe a wood pellet grill? I'm not really into the smoker aspect - more just to use it as a grill.

Thoughts?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It might be because I've worked from home forever or because I only really grill on weekends, but I don't get why charcoal is seen as so tough. It obv takes longer at startup but the effort level isn't different.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:45 pm It might be because I've worked from home forever or because I only really grill on weekends, but I don't get why charcoal is seen as so tough. It obv takes longer at startup but the effort level isn't different.
Startup takes longer. Always out of charcoal. Cleanup is a mess.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:36 pm I've had a decent off-brand propane grill for about 10 years. It's been good, but like DiS, rather than replace more parts, I'm leaning towards a new grill.

But, what to get? Propane grills work fast and easy and are recommended by noted grilling expert Hank Hill. But, I kind of miss the taste of smoke I used to get from the old Weber kettle I used to have, but I don't want to go to the work of using charcoal. So, maybe a wood pellet grill? I'm not really into the smoker aspect - more just to use it as a grill.

Thoughts?
As Chedds mentioned above, pellet smokers suck for grilling. Most say you can use it to grill, but from what I've read, they are ideal for low temp, slow cooking. I hear you have to burn through a ton of pellets to keep the temp hot enough to grill. I've used the same Brinkman 5-burner grill from Home Depot for about 12 years, still works great. Only thing I've replaced is the wheels, the casters corroded and broke. Pretty sure they went out of business a few years ago. Charcoal tastes better than propane, but I usually don't have time to mess with charcoal. I'm thinking with a smoker, I can get it cooking in the morning and not worry about being there while it cooks.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:46 pm
mister d wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:45 pm It might be because I've worked from home forever or because I only really grill on weekends, but I don't get why charcoal is seen as so tough. It obv takes longer at startup but the effort level isn't different.
You can get a little smoker box that you put on the burner that'll add the delicious smoke flavour of your choosing while keeping the ease of the propane.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:17 pm
You can get a little smoker box that you put on the burner that'll add the delicious smoke flavour of your choosing while keeping the ease of the propane.
Forgot to mention this. I’ve tried it before, didn’t get much smoke flavor from it.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Liquid smoke has some utility. But you gotta be careful with it.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:20 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:17 pm
Forgot to mention this. I’ve tried it before, didn’t get much smoke flavor from it.
I've done smoking on my propane grill before....I soak a bunch of wood chips the night before, and then put it in one of those cheap aluminum foil pans, with foil over the top. I poke a few holes in the foil, and set it on one side of the grill, with the burners on low. Pumps out the smoke pretty good...just make sure you've got enough propane to last for the afternoon.

I've done whole chickens, ribs, pork shoulders. Not quite a Big Green Egg, but it worked pretty well.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Anyone have experience with a vertical smoker? My research is showing they provide better flavor than a horizontal pellet grill. I also like that they take up less space, as I already have a 5 burner grill on the patio. A vertical smoker could be moved to the shed or behind the house when not in use. Only issue I'm seeing is some articles say you need to manually add wood chips every 30 minutes. I like the idea of not being tied to the smoker all day. Other articles say wood chips last 4 hours, and you just need to add chips for the final 45 minutes.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Buddy has one and likes it but he doesn’t use it that much because he has kids that still have to be transported.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If the Weber Smokey Mountain is a vertical, which I assume it is, it’s definitely a manual process. I got a thermapen smoke thermometer which keeps two different levels of temps and has a remote, but you need to be around the entire time to manage. Otherwise, it’s just an oven ; )
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:21 pm Anyone have experience with a vertical smoker?
I have a Kitchen-Aid electric smoker that's vertical. I like it a lot. I'll probably get something bigger when the kids are bigger as it only has 2 shelves but I can two racks of ribs or a brisket pretty easily. Plus all I need is a couple handfuls of chips to smoke the meats.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:25 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:21 pm Anyone have experience with a vertical smoker?
I have a Kitchen-Aid electric smoker that's vertical. I like it a lot. I'll probably get something bigger when the kids are bigger as it only has 2 shelves but I can two racks of ribs or a brisket pretty easily. Plus all I need is a couple handfuls of chips to smoke the meats.
I’m hoping to smoke turkeys for thanksgiving. Usually make around a 25 pound bird. Hard to figure out how big a smoker I’ll need. How often do you need to add wood chips?
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I roasted a turkey 2 years ago in it.

Matter's how long the smoke, but for a brisket I usually add them 2 times during the smoke.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:27 pm I roasted a turkey 2 years ago in it.

Matter's how long the smoke, but for a brisket I usually add them 2 times during the smoke.
That's not bad, most reviews say every 30-45 minutes depending on the brand.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Maybe I should add more??

The smoke box is like 3 in by 10 in or so. I always at least wet my chips..but everything I've done has had a good smoke flavor. I'm not a competition guy so no sick bark or anything, but truly I'm more about my patented maple syrup / red chile glaze than having a 1/4 bark.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nah, yours sounds right. Overdoing the smoke is far worse than underdoing it.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

This is true. Apple wood helps with that but I've made plenty of chicken ham overdoing the smoke
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We’ve only used our pellet smoker once since we got in as a Xmas present several years ago. Wish us luck on the ribs today!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:07 pm We’ve only used our pellet smoker once since we got in as a Xmas present several years ago. Wish us luck on the ribs today!
Good luck! The 3-2-1 method is super simple and makes great ribs every time.

Don't forget to remove the silverskin on the underside of the racks.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.