NCAA FB 2023

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: NCAA FB 2023

Post by govmentchedda »

PAC-12 has fumbled their way through this era of conferences so poorly. Still, Colorado should be in the Big12 with Nebraska... wait a second.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I get why ESPN and Fox are using him as the face of the school but how long is Sanders really gonna be there? Either he flames out or does great and leaves, right?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:25 pm I get why ESPN and Fox are using him as the face of the school but how long is Sanders really gonna be there? Either he flames out or does great and leaves, right?
CU knew that when they hired him, but desperate times call for radical measures, eh? But, any coach who succeeds at a 2nd tier school is likely to leave for a more lucrative job.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:30 pm
rass wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:25 pm I get why ESPN and Fox are using him as the face of the school but how long is Sanders really gonna be there? Either he flames out or does great and leaves, right?
CU knew that when they hired him, but desperate times call for radical measures, eh? But, any coach who succeeds at a 2nd tier school is likely to leave for a more lucrative job.
At least they’re not CSU
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rams will be improved this season!

And, how many games did Drew win, smacktalker?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

D3 school with no football

but we didn’t steal our helmet logo
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:39 pm PAC-12 has fumbled their way through this era of conferences so poorly. Still, Colorado should be in the Big12 with Nebraska... wait a second.
If Colorado’s academics were better they might have been a target of the B1G already. As it stands the worst academic school in the Big 10 by a long shot is already Nebraska.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steal? Lame. Every team called the Rams should have some variation of that helmet. Besides, the CSU helmet looks quite different than the LA Rams one.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:10 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:39 pm PAC-12 has fumbled their way through this era of conferences so poorly. Still, Colorado should be in the Big12 with Nebraska... wait a second.
If Colorado’s academics were better they might have been a target of the B1G already. As it stands the worst academic school in the Big 10 by a long shot is already Nebraska.
Fair point. But I just did a scan of the overall college rankings by US News and World Report, and Iowa, Michigan State, and Penn State are also ranked below Colorado.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:24 pm
brian wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:10 pm
Fair point. But I just did a scan of the overall college rankings by US News and World Report, and Iowa, Michigan State, and Penn State are also ranked below Colorado.
That’s one metric. Another that is critical to B1G leadership is membership in the AAU. The only B1G school not in the AAU is Nebraska and they were ejected not long after joining the Big 10 and probably wouldn’t have been invited if it had happened before joining.

Right now the two conferences with most AAU members are Big 10 (13 of 14) and Pac 12 (9 of 12). Only P12 schools not members are Colorado, Oregon State and Washington St)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Mea culpa. First site I visited showed CU not in AAU but apparently they are.

Anyway they’d make an interesting addition to B1G and natural rival to Nebraska but apparently not to be.

If and when B1G goes to 18 they have 2 likely paths - Northern Cal/SF area OR East Coast. I’ve heard rumors of Miami (a new AAU member as of ‘23) and Virginia if the latter comes to pass

ETA: a 3rd - maybe less likely option, but still interesting is Washington and Oregon but I question if those 2 want to leave their lesser in-state counterparts.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Arizona, ASU, and Utah should be next. If they add UConn and Gonzaga, they're still the best basketball conference.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

UW regents are having an "emergency meeting" tonight to discuss realignment.

Looks like its going to be down to the PAC-2...Washington State and Oregon State. They can play each other each week.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:10 pm
UW regents are having an "emergency meeting" tonight to discuss realignment.

Looks like its going to be down to the PAC-2...Washington State and Oregon State. They can play each other each week.
So, likely UW and UO to B1G Ten and UA, ASU, and Utah to Big Twelve? FSU is rattling the "we need more $$ than our other ACC counterparts" cage too.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, from what I've read, it's very preliminary and the behind closed doors vibe is the B1G doesn't want to be the ones that explode the PAC 12. At least not yet. In other words, going further into CA with Stanford and Cal, and/or AU and ASU would be see as a stop too far. So, providing a West Coast travel pod with Wash and Ore makes some sense, but going further would be seen as too predatory.

The P-12 is a really good place for the B1G to plunder. And not just because of TV markets brian and I have mentioned it in the past: The only B10 school that isn't AAU affiliated is Nebraska and they had that designation when admitted and subsequently lost it. P12 is chock full of AAU schools.

And whenever you see people saying the only thing that matters to these universities is TV money, arm yourself with the knowledge: BILLIONS of federal research dollars flow to these AAU schools. BILLIONS. So, yeah, TV markets carry a lot of weight. But being a part of AAU isn't some elitist/prestige thing, it is a HUGE source of funds/revenue for these schools. Anyone saying otherwise is just flat out wrong.

I just went and looked it up. $28B went to the 65 AAU affiliated schools in 2020, which is close to 70 percent of all research dollars allocated by the Feds that year.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:11 pm Yeah, from what I've read, it's very preliminary and the behind closed doors vibe is the B1G doesn't want to be the ones that explode the PAC 12. At least not yet. In other words, going further into CA with Stanford and Cal, and/or AU and ASU would be see as a stop too far. So, providing a West Coast travel pod with Wash and Ore makes some sense, but going further would be seen as too predatory.

The P-12 is a really good place for the B1G to plunder. And not just because of TV markets brian and I have mentioned it in the past: The only B10 school that isn't AAU affiliated is Nebraska and they had that designation when admitted and subsequently lost it. P12 is chock full of AAU schools.

And whenever you see people saying the only thing that matters to these universities is TV money, arm yourself with the knowledge: BILLIONS of federal research dollars flow to these AAU schools. BILLIONS. So, yeah, TV markets carry a lot of weight. But being a part of AAU isn't some elitist/prestige thing, it is a HUGE source of funds/revenue for these schools. Anyone saying otherwise is just flat out wrong.

I just went and looked it up. $28B went to the 65 AAU affiliated schools in 2020, which is close to 70 percent of all research dollars allocated by the Feds that year.
Lol. Not at your statement, but at the B1G for thinking that they can appear blameless on this given their USC UCLA plundering.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, no I get that, after (obviously) being the ones to kick all of this off with the USC/UCLA moves. They have been tied at the hip longer than any of us have been alive, but, yeah... It's weird to me that they are acting like any of that matters in all of this. Kind of shows you how weird and at times naive these guys are, even with billions of dollars on the table.

The other thing to consider in all of this: TV Networks are already paying a shit ton for the SEC and B1G contracts. Adding in new markets is fine and dandy, but are they really going to increase the contracts by adding in Portland and Seattle? They're already paying $1B a season. Yes, the LA market helped them get that number and USC and UCLA got full shares of that deal. Other teams entering are going to have to do so at a discount/lower percentage than existing members.

Which, again, FSU trustees can bitch and moan and raise a ruckus all they want. What's their leverage? Certainly not the Tallahassee TV market. Decent brand, but the last time they won the ACC was in 2014. Clemson has a better case than they do, frankly. I already talked about why they would have a huge hill with the B1G, so we're down to the SEC. Kinda makes sense, but again, the SEC member schools certainly don't need them and absolutely they don't want their TV shares diminished.

Plus, to break their TV deal is probably MASSIVELY expensive.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:18 pm Yeah, no I get that, after (obviously) being the ones to kick all of this off with the USC/UCLA moves. They have been tied at the hip longer than any of us have been alive, but, yeah... It's weird to me that they are acting like any of that matters in all of this. Kind of shows you how weird and at times naive these guys are, even with billions of dollars on the table.

The other thing to consider in all of this: TV Networks are already paying a shit ton for the SEC and B1G contracts. Adding in new markets is fine and dandy, but are they really going to increase the contracts by adding in Portland and Seattle? They're already paying $1B a season. Yes, the LA market helped them get that number and USC and UCLA got full shares of that deal. Other teams entering are going to have to do so at a discount/lower percentage than existing members.

Which, again, FSU trustees can bitch and moan and raise a ruckus all they want. What's their leverage? Certainly not the Tallahassee TV market. Decent brand, but the last time they won the ACC was in 2014. Clemson has a better case than they do, frankly. I already talked about why they would have a huge hill with the B1G, so we're down to the SEC. Kinda makes sense, but again, the SEC member schools certainly don't need them and absolutely they don't want their TV shares diminished.

Plus, to break their TV deal is probably MASSIVELY expensive.
The ACC's grant of rights (contract where the schools tie the rights to televising their games) with ESPN lasts until 2036! That's on your dumbasses, FSU and Clemson, for agreeing to it back in 2013!

I think you're valuing TV "markets", which seemed to be a bigger deal back when B1G grabbed NYC and DC (Rutgers and Maryland). I'm hearing there's much less importance to that now.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

David Hale of ESPN posted a thread where he theorized that the current price tag for FSU to get out of the ACC is around $500 million because of the grant of rights and its length.

I also found this amusing:

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Weatherford is fucking numpty. I know the family. He doesn't know shit about what he's saying.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yeah the ACC fucked themselves with the last ESPN agreement. Wanted long-term value, but sold too low. If I were an conference commissioner I think something like 8-10 years max.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Maybe but if the media contracts end at the same time as the grant in rights period ends then that contract probably enabled them to impose the onerous buyout which is the only thing keeping the conference together. So not bad at all despite the lesser annual payments. If they had done a 8-10 year deal SEC and Big Ten would be splitting up the ACC schools already. Problem would seem to be what happens in five years when that buyout seems palatable.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Hearing that they were close to a deal but the B1G people on the East Coast had to go to bed.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I heard AZ definitely to the Big12. Then I heard definitely not. Silly season.

This is all going to end up much different in 10 years. Perhaps no conferences? Who knows? I'll be here with my popcorn bucket.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, the very first shots fired in this slow burning tire fire was when the bowls started to be watered down with just too many random games. The fucking Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl?? C'mon. Seeing 6-6 teams square off for the USAA Military Bowl? No thanks, but it still serves the TV beast, so they stick around.

Then the playoffs started pulling the shine off of the big New Year's Day bowls where conference champions weren't necessarily going to the Rose, Sugar, Orange and Cotton bowls.

So, yeah, I think you are right. They will maintain regional rivalry games ($$-eyeballs) but eventually conferences aren't really going to matter to the individual universities.

Portal and NIL are also a part of just calling this what it is at this point: Big business.

I'm not even mad about it anymore. But let's stop bullshitting about it.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It's time for the Saudis to do their thing.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rex wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:52 am It's time for the Saudis to do their thing.
I can see it now. University of ”State” at Riyadh.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:54 am
Rex wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:52 am It's time for the Saudis to do their thing.
I can see it now. University of ”State” at Riyadh.
Someone on Reddit is way ahead of you...

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Qatar is already there. Education City. Go Rams, Big Red, Aggies, Tartans, Hoyas, and Wildcats.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:51 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:11 pm Yeah, from what I've read, it's very preliminary and the behind closed doors vibe is the B1G doesn't want to be the ones that explode the PAC 12. At least not yet. In other words, going further into CA with Stanford and Cal, and/or AU and ASU would be see as a stop too far. So, providing a West Coast travel pod with Wash and Ore makes some sense, but going further would be seen as too predatory.

Lol. Not at your statement, but at the B1G for thinking that they can appear blameless on this given their USC UCLA plundering.
BTW, circling back to this...

I had totally forgotten that over 10 years ago the B1G reached out to the Pac-? and tried to broker a partnership to have the two conferences play each other every year in all sports. There was a press release and everything, only for the Pac-? to back out of the deal and not long after that the B1G added MD and Rutgers.

So... I'm not trying to claim the B1G has some kind of moral high ground in all of this, but there's a certain amount of hubris from the West Coast folks on this one. Hindsight is easy, but still... They sure overplayed the hand here.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Never thought I’d see the Pac 12 go the way of the Southwest Conference but it’ll be done by the end of the weekend.

Down to 6 teams now? OSU, WSU, Stanford, Cal, Utah and ASU? That doesn’t seem tenable and even their shitty media deal with Apple is dead and will need to be re-done even if they raid the top of the Mt West.

ASU and Utah will go to the Big 12 now most likely. B1G might as well go to 20 and add Stanford and Cal.

Big question is what happens to OSU and WSU. They might end up relegated to the Group of 5 and the Mountain West like TCU and Rice were after the SW Conference imploded.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And if you’re looking for a good silver bullet as to what killed the PAC 12 don’t forget the utter failure that was (is) the Pac 12 Network.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:22 pm Big question is what happens to OSU and WSU. They might end up relegated to the Group of 5 and the Mountain West like TCU and Rice were after the SW Conference imploded.
Beavers and Cougars need to join forces with like the Minute Men and Shockers and (???) to build out the horniest conference in CFB.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:24 pm And if you’re looking for a good silver bullet as to what killed the PAC 12 don’t forget the utter failure that was (is) the Pac 12 Network.
Larry Scott should have "Killed the Pac-12" written on his tombstone.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:36 pm
brian wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:22 pm Big question is what happens to OSU and WSU. They might end up relegated to the Group of 5 and the Mountain West like TCU and Rice were after the SW Conference imploded.
Beavers and Cougars need to join forces with like the Minute Men and Shockers and (???) to build out the horniest conference in CFB.
I'm in a meeting with camera on and I had to cover the lens... Funny shit here.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:59 pm
brian wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:24 pm And if you’re looking for a good silver bullet as to what killed the PAC 12 don’t forget the utter failure that was (is) the Pac 12 Network.
Larry Scott should have "Killed the Pac-12" written on his tombstone.
Just because I know everyone doesn't read every post... Whoever was in charge when they turned down the proposed partnership with B1G 12 years ago should shoulder a lot of the blame, too.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

And putting their HQ in the middle of uber expensive SF. And so many other fuck ups by Kliavkoff, and Larry Scott before him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Pac 12 network as compared to the other conference channels no one watches?