Swamp Travel Guide: Black and Yellow

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Swamp Travel Guide: Black and Yellow

Post by L-Jam3 »

I’ll be in Pittsburgh Friday through Sunday afternoons, 7/28 to 7/30. Catching the game Saturday night against Philly, and staying about 5 blocks away on the same side of the river. Anything I need to do? I did see the Warhol museum is a couple blocks away. Anything else?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide: Black and Yellow

Post by rass »

I highly recommend Given to Fly chicken here and hopefully will be hitting them up this weekend myself (visiting U Pitt again).

If you haven’t been to the strip district, do that. And get the sandwich with fries, it’s good.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oh, and if the Clemente bridge isn’t closed (I could have sworn they said it was when I watched one of the games when the Mets were in town) walk over that to the game.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:08 pm I highly recommend Given to Fly chicken here and hopefully will be hitting them up this weekend myself (visiting U Pitt again).

If you haven’t been to the strip district, do that. And get the sandwich with fries, it’s good.
Damn, that menu is incredible! I think I’d have to go with the Thai sandwich, but the Nobu and McClucken sound great, too. Then a taco and a ramen place too? I’d be there every day!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

If you want cool view of the city and a slightly interesting experience, the inclines are fun. Good way to get up Mt. Washington and see views of the city.
Phipps Botanical Garden
The Frick
Enrico Biscotti is on the strip. Owned by the family of a guy who worked for my dad.
Carnegie Science Center if a science museum is interesting
Children's museum is fun but does feel like other children's museums (Baltimore, Philly)..kids may be too old for this stuff these days?
Josh Gibson park
Find the statue for the Immaculate Reception and home plate for Forbes field
Kennywood if you want a theme park with wooden coasters
National Aviary
Randyland (if you are by the Warhol it is a walk)
Church Brew works (I mean how many churches have been converted into breweries)
Aslin is located near the strip. My buddy is a brewer for them and on Saturday told me that I need to try his new creation...El Frutero
But there are something like 75 breweries (https://www.discovertheburgh.com/pittsburgh-craft-beer/)
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

wish we could bookmark threads - might just copy/paste all suggestions in here for the next four years (youngest is heading to Pitt this fall).

I don't/didn't know Pittsburgh much at all before the last few years but each time we've visited have loved it; my daughter fell in love w/ it immediately and after that no school had a chance.

(n.b. have stepped on the Forbes Field home plate)
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:03 am wish we could bookmark threads - might just copy/paste all suggestions in here for the next four years (youngest is heading to Pitt this fall).

Write a nonsense word only you will remember so you can search. STEELERSSUCK or something like that.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:50 pm
rass wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:08 pm I highly recommend Given to Fly chicken here and hopefully will be hitting them up this weekend myself (visiting U Pitt again).

Damn, that menu is incredible! I think I’d have to go with the Thai sandwich, but the Nobu and McClucken sound great, too. Then a taco and a ramen place too? I’d be there every day!
There is a nice craft beer bar in there, too.

I got the Nobu when I visited last year and it was great. Going to brave something HOT this time. On that same visit I sorta begrudgingly ordered the $30 chicken tenders and fries platter for my daughter and niece and not only was it a huge plate of food (each tender was like 1/2 a breast?) they were the best chicken tenders I've ever had.
MaxWebster wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:03 am wish we could bookmark threads - might just copy/paste all suggestions in here for the next four years (youngest is heading to Pitt this fall).

I don't/didn't know Pittsburgh much at all before the last few years but each time we've visited have loved it; my daughter fell in love w/ it immediately and after that no school had a chance.

Congrats man. I stepped on home plate, too, during the tour. Pitt was the first school our kid visited, and she loved it, but it's fallen down the list as we've seen other campuses this past year. I'm interested to see how this weekend goes.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Sounds like you got the bapo tour.

The adult video store that wouldn't let Brainbo and I go into a "nudie booth" together is now a convenience store, but I wouldn't recommend that place, anyway.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i'm going to be flooding this thread for the next few years :D
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Wento a Primanti Bros up near Hagerstown a few years ago to check out the hype... Might be that a satellite location didn't do it justice, but, man... Not a fan. It was just too dry with too much starch going on. Maybe I did it wrong, I dunno. Was fully prepared to love it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its a stupid concept.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:43 am Wento a Primanti Bros up near Hagerstown a few years ago to check out the hype... Might be that a satellite location didn't do it justice, but, man... Not a fan. It was just too dry with too much starch going on. Maybe I did it wrong, I dunno. Was fully prepared to love it.
No, you are absolutely correct.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:43 am Wento a Primanti Bros up near Hagerstown a few years ago to check out the hype... Might be that a satellite location didn't do it justice, but, man... Not a fan. It was just too dry with too much starch going on. Maybe I did it wrong, I dunno. Was fully prepared to love it.
Primanti’s is garbage. Worst sandwich I’ve ever had.

And obviously, I’m going to recommend going to the National Aviary, and not just because of my avatar. It’s a fantastic venue, especially the penguin exhibit.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

There was a bar in Ybor back in the day that did Primanti style sandwiches at 3 a.m., (that's when I would visit, they probably were open at other times), and goddamn it was tasty as hell. The Primanti brothers sandwich that I had in Pittsburgh was just as awful as you report, NLFC. Are there other places in Pittsburgh making similar type sandwiches?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, and have you tried Primanti's sandwich really late at night while drunk?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ok, cool... Good to hear I'm not on an island.

I don't remember if it was Fieri or some other Food Network jam, but I saw a segment years ago and had meant to try it out for awhile. Found a location within striking distance and hit it up.

Meh.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I had one in WV on my first drive to boston I think. It was fine, but nothing special. I anticipate they are better the closer you get to Pittsburgh. But my time spent in pittsburgh is a drive from the airport to a hotel downtown and then drive back to Lexington (work thing and I was low man so I got to drive back while others flew - we picked up our CEO in Pitt so that's how I lost my seat)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Primanti brothers > Eat and Puke (Park)....low bar
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:07 am Ok, cool... Good to hear I'm not on an island.

I don't remember if it was Fieri or some other Food Network jam, but I saw a segment years ago and had meant to try it out for awhile. Found a location within striking distance and hit it up.

Meh.
I've seen them featured on several shows and always wanted to go. My parents went to one and were disappointed.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The fries being on the sandwich (or in a "California" burritos) is a complete negative. As Nonlinear mentioned, too dry and starchy, feeling like a blob in your mouth, and other flavors are completely muted.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Here's the funny thing (to me): When my wife and I are on road trips, we're not above hitting McD's if that's the "best" option. We both get a 1/4 with cheese meal, and her go to move is to put a layer of fries on the burger. I'll occasionally take a bit or finish her portion.. The fries on the burger are delicious!

But that's a huge difference in fries we're talking about.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I feel like I should at least give fries in the sandwich a shot, but I really don't see how it adds anything. I've been known to put potato chips in a hoagie, but that adds some crunch to the mouthfeel. Fries in a sandwich just seems like you're trying to mashup a hoagie and gnocchi.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Don't forget the slaw too.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Satellite locations are very hit or miss.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:10 am I had one in WV on my first drive to boston I think. It was fine, but nothing special. I anticipate they are better the closer you get to Pittsburgh. But my time spent in pittsburgh is a drive from the airport to a hotel downtown and then drive back to Lexington (work thing and I was low man so I got to drive back while others flew - we picked up our CEO in Pitt so that's how I lost my seat)
The sandwiches at the Primantis on Lauderdale beach are basically the same. The ones at the place further inland are absolute trash. Guess it depends.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’m not a fan of putting fries in things. There is an otherwise good Greek place in our town that puts fries inside their gyros. I figure it’s just an inexpensive way for them to extend their filling.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Any of you assholes whine about NJ’s signature hot dog (even if I disagree with the restaurant from rush’s list) you’re going on my foe list.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Between this being Pitt, and all the Philly that invaded this weekend, there’s a lot of non-ironic mustaches here.

And I’m not even talking about the guys yet.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

How was the trip?