Fantasy Football 2023 General Discussion, Advice, etc.

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Fantasy Football 2023 General Discussion, Advice, etc.

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:52 pm Kinda bummed to learn that my league's waiver priority resets every week based on worst team to best.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma for Thursday. I have Kirk Cousins and the Philly Defense.

Do I start my backup (Anthony Richardson, playing Houston) or just let it ride?

I am trying to keep my bench as robust as possible for the next inevitable injury, so I don't want to drop anyone for a spot start defense.
I'm riding with the Philly D this week. I usually swap defenses based on matchup, but I think the Eagles will put up points all year, the Vikes weren't great last week, and it's hard to judge after one week. Plus defenses are so unpredictable, don't waste bench spot on a second D in week 2. And I wouldn't worry about playing your QB against your D. If you end up benching Cousins and he has a huge game, you get screwed over twice. Play your best players.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Word life, Vibra-saddle.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:11 pm Word life, Vibra-saddle.
If passing TDS aren’t 6, I think Richardson is the better play due to higher ceiling.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:17 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:11 pm Word life, Vibra-saddle.
If passing TDS aren’t 6, I think Richardson is the better play due to higher ceiling.
Passing TDs are 4 points. 25 passing yards per point. Richardson was actually better than Cousins in week 1.

I also have Pittman Jr too. He did better than my starting WRs and flex player last week as well.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Athletic has Richardson 9th, Cousins 19th for Week 2.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

This site aggregates opinions from dozens of “experts” on who to start, given your two inputs:
https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/start/

You can set it to standard, ppr, or half ppr scoring

ETA: they have an app that is more user friendly than the website
Last edited by sancarlos on Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

And don't forget the fact that if you pick Cousins then you have to root for him.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:52 pm Kinda bummed to learn that my league's waiver priority resets every week based on worst team to best.
Yeah, all leagues should be FAAB.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:47 pm This site aggregates opinions from dozens of “experts” on who to start, given your two inputs:
https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/start/

You can set it to standard, ppr, or half ppr scoring

ETA: they have an app that is more user friendly than the website
I actually used that website while drafting. I had it open on one screen and ESPN on the other. It helped. (But then again, so did the people drafting.)

I honestly forgot to check there before posting. Interesting that it has Richardson ahead of Tua. That bodes well for me honestly.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:14 pm
Yeah, all leagues should be FAAB.
Nope.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I know it's a losing battle with you.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:09 pm

I'm in a bit of a dilemma for Thursday. I have Kirk Cousins and the Philly Defense.

I am trying to keep my bench as robust as possible for the next inevitable injury, so I don't want to drop anyone for a spot start defense.
I'm riding with the Philly D this week. I usually swap defenses based on matchup, but I think the Eagles will put up points all year, the Vikes weren't great last week, and it's hard to judge after one week. Plus defenses are so unpredictable, don't waste bench spot on a second D in week 2. And I wouldn't worry about playing your QB against your D. If you end up benching Cousins and he has a huge game, you get screwed over twice. Play your best players.
FYI, the Eagles' cornerback James Bradberry and safety Reed Blankenship have been ruled out.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:47 pm

FYI, the Eagles' cornerback James Bradberry and safety Reed Blankenship have been ruled out.
"Reed Blankenship" sounds like a name of an actor who played a firefighter on the 1970s show, "Emergency!"
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:20 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:47 pm

"Reed Blankenship" sounds like a name of an actor who played a firefighter on the 1970s show, "Emergency!"
That's good.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Against Hockenson
Against Jefferson
Sat Cousins

I kid. There's still the weekend (and I started DeVonta).

(But fantasy football in particular, and gambling overall, is hilarious.)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:14 am(But fantasy football in particular, and gambling overall, is hilarious.)
Agreed. Unfortunately, the hyper-competitive just only allow themselves to look at fantasy football one way.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:07 am
Johnnie wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:14 am(But fantasy football in particular, and gambling overall, is hilarious.)
Agreed. Unfortunately, the hyper-competitive just only allow themselves to look at fantasy football one way.
Yup. Sadly. Like, am I putting effort into this because I want to win the league? Of course. I also really enjoy football and like stats. I just hope I'm not going overboard with making decisions and agonizing when I get it wrong. It's why I stayed away for so long.

It's also a reminder to me that I greatly dislike scenarios where luck, chance, and guessing are a main driver. (Shit, I hate board games that hinge on dice rolling.)

So I'm just enjoying the ride and laughing at 'experts' along the way.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

You’ve got to be like an nfl cornerback to enjoy it.

Prepare and do your best, but when you get beat, just say, “oh, well”, forget it and move on.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:29 amIt's also a reminder to me that I greatly dislike scenarios where luck, chance, and guessing are a main driver.
Same. I argued for something like starting 3 RBs for 2 spots, 4 WRs for 3, etc, so you could sub in for injured players like in real sports.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:00 pm
Johnnie wrote: It's also a reminder to me that I greatly dislike scenarios where luck, chance, and guessing are a main driver.
Same. I argued for something like starting 3 RBs for 2 spots, 4 WRs for 3, etc, so you could sub in for injured players like in real sports.
In my main league (ppr), we start one rb, one wr, one te, and three flexes that can be any of those three positions. Makes injuries a bit less of an impediment.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I like that multi-flex approach.

I'd possibly also like a 'split the difference' mechanic where, let's say you started Aaron Rodgers and he gets injured 4 plays into a game, and you had a QB on your bench that balled out, you get half the points so you don't lose by .06 points like that one guy did.

I literally try to play board games where randomness is reduced to zero as much as possible because you just get unlucky.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Just join "best ball" leagues. You draft 18 players per team and play a normal lineup of 8-9 guys, but no kicker and no defense/special teams (so something like QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, and 1 or 2 FLEX). There are no transactions. No waivers, no IR, nothing. After every game of the NFL weekend is played, your best possible score is tabulated and that's what counts for you.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:20 pm Just join "best ball" leagues. You draft 18 players per team and play a normal lineup of 8-9 guys, but no kicker and no defense/special teams (so something like QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, and 1 or 2 FLEX). There are no transactions. No waivers, no IR, nothing. After every game of the NFL weekend is played, your best possible score is tabulated and that's what counts for you.
Yeah, but much of the fun is playing with and against your friends, imho.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:06 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:20 pm Just join "best ball" leagues. You draft 18 players per team and play a normal lineup of 8-9 guys, but no kicker and no defense/special teams (so something like QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, and 1 or 2 FLEX). There are no transactions. No waivers, no IR, nothing. After every game of the NFL weekend is played, your best possible score is tabulated and that's what counts for you.
Yeah, but much of the fun is playing with and against your friends, imho.
You can play a best ball league with your friends.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So I like to have atleast half my bench as speculative RBs who would step right into RB1/RB2 status BUT I also don't actually watch much football so I don't know whose good or bad or who is listed as the handcuff but is really just a 3rd down back or would get jumped immediately upon injury.

Have: Barkley (yay!), Mattison, Dillon, Kyren Williams, Achane, Spears, Dowdle, Chase Brown

Available and Rostered at Atleast 1%:
[+] Hidden List to Take Up Less Space
Jerick McKinnon KC
Devin Singletary Hou
Cordarrelle Patterson Atl
Deuce Vaughn Dal
Leonard Fournette TB
Michael Carter NYJ
Matt Breida NYG
Boston Scott Phi
Chris Evans Cin
Chase Edmonds TB
Jaleel McLaughlin Den
Julius Chestnut Ten
Salvon Ahmed Mia
Latavius Murray Buf
Melvin Gordon III Bal
Keaontay Ingram Ari
Assume any longshot guys are available; I'm not sure anyone at 0% owned is rostered by a team.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Matt Breida is taking over for Saquon while he’s on the mend, FWIW.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:21 pm Matt Breida is taking over for Saquon while he’s on the mend, FWIW.
My old client!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I really should've taken a flyer on Puka Nacua instead of Zay Jones.

Edit:

Do I try to trade Rhamondre to the team that just lost Chubb?

CeeDee Lamb is certainly too lofty, but I'm thinking Jordan Addison would work. (He also has Jaylen Waddle.)

(I already have Ekeler, Warren, Cook, K. Williams, & Walker III, so I can afford to trade him.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:22 pm I really should've taken a flyer on Puka Nacua instead of Zay Jones.
I didn't break the bank on Puka, because he plays the same role as Kupp, so when Kupp returns he is useless. If Kupp returns. Guy in my FAAB league got him for 20% of his full season budget. He also spent 24% on Kenneth Gainwell. I just don't like to overreact after Week 1. I think I bid 10%. I knew I wasn't going to get him, but guys who blow their budget early usually get screwed at the midway point and can't win any big FAs.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:20 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:22 pm I really should've taken a flyer on Puka Nacua instead of Zay Jones.
I didn't break the bank on Puka, because he plays the same role as Kupp, so when Kupp returns he is useless. If Kupp returns. Guy in my FAAB league got him for 20% of his full season budget. He also spent 24% on Kenneth Gainwell. I just don't like to overreact after Week 1. I think I bid 10%. I knew I wasn't going to get him, but guys who blow their budget early usually get screwed at the midway point and can't win any big FAs.
That's fair. I too had the thought, "When Kupp comes back..." but I feel like that dude won't be coming back at full speed and Puka looks like the real deal catching everything.

For me, I'm not in a FAAB league at all, so picking up and dropping people is just the default setting in my league.

That's rough about Gainwell for that guy in your league. I picked him up in the morning, because he's RB1 in Philly and by the afternoon he was ruled out and I dropped him for Kyren Williams.

(But of course my problem is starting the right players more than identifying who's good and I didn't start Williams because he was playing the 49ers.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:39 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:20 pm
That's fair. I too had the thought, "When Kupp comes back..." but I feel like that dude won't be coming back at full speed and Puka looks like the real deal catching everything.

For me, I'm not in a FAAB league at all, so picking up and dropping people is just the default setting in my league.

That's rough about Gainwell for that guy in your league. I picked him up in the morning, because he's RB1 in Philly and by the afternoon he was ruled out and I dropped him for Kyren Williams.

(But of course my problem is starting the right players more than identifying who's good and I didn't start Williams because he was playing the 49ers.)
I picked up Williams and left Williams on my bench, too. No shame in that, as he was playing a top run D and it wasn't clear if he was starting over Akers. Now that Akers was a healthy scratch, they'll probably give Akers the bulk of the carries next week. I hate fantasy football.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Akers is on the trading block and will either get traded or released soon-ish. I don't anticipate him playing for the Rams again.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Guy in my money FFL went into the weekend with a rock-solid running game with Montgomery, Barkley and Chubb.

Never seen anything like it.
Canadian International
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I had 4 keepers and the only one still playing is Justin Fields. And Rodgers was my 2nd re- pick
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:49 pm Akers is on the trading block and will either get traded or released soon-ish. I don't anticipate him playing for the Rams again.
I'll take posts from November 2022, Alex.

I agree, but weird this is happening again. No one thought he'd be a Ram and then comes out ending the season strong. And yes, I do have a lot of Akers shares and did not win on Williams.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:03 am
Johnnie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:49 pm Akers is on the trading block and will either get traded or released soon-ish. I don't anticipate him playing for the Rams again.
I'll take posts from November 2022, Alex.

I agree, but weird this is happening again. No one thought he'd be a Ram and then comes out ending the season strong. And yes, I do have a lot of Akers shares and did not win on Williams.
I'm jaded by years of the Akers saga. I drafted him in my main league, which is a complicated keeper league. Drafted him in the 16th round two years ago when he was supposed to be out for the season at the time of the draft so I could keep him in the 15th the following year. Tough to give up a roster spot (even IR) for an entire year, but all the reports of his miraculous recovery and coming back for the playoffs had me excited for the move, and I was thrilled to keep a guy who was a top 5 overall pick before the injury in the 15th. Dealt with the constant uncertainty between him and Henderson, often starting the wrong back, or neither and one would have a good game. Finally dropped him towards the end of the fantasy season when it looked like he was dog shit and not starting, then he suddenly played well. Ended up drafting him against my better judgment as an RB 4. Fortunately, I won Kyren in the FA auction and I'm probably going to try to drop him this week.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I'm riding..the...D this week. I...think..it's hard...Plus... a second D...against your D... you get screwed...twice. Play your best.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:01 am

I'm riding..the...D this week. I...think..it's hard...Plus... a second D...against your D... you get screwed...twice. Play your best.
Ha, well done.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jesus that's a good one.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I eked out a win against Ryan in the swamp league, mainly because he lost Chubb to injury.
I eked out a loss in my money league mainly because I lost Chubb to injury.

Chubb giveth and Chubb taketh away.